daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #421
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, who last week seized the opportunity to try to reassert his control, had earlier promised to drive the "devils" from football but last week turned his fire on the tactics of the Sunday Times. "One can ask whether it is appropriate for newspapers and journalists to set traps for people," he said.
I woulnd't be at all surprised if these investigations do take a hit to England's bids as corrupt organizations and leaders usually don't like others peering in their windows. If England's bid is made to pay that is just a feather in the cap of the UK/England and yet another reason to hold FIFA in contempt (and its peer organizations like the IOC).

The fact that some from nations where people have no issue with disappearing journalist who look to hard into embarrassingly allegations or who don't allow their own media to write dissenting or critical voices I am not surprised they would reveal if England were made to pay and not those members who with complete dishonor left their bid open for trade or sale. If it comes out that England's was reprimanded for such reasons then the winning bids will always be on the record as tainted.

Quote:
The Qatari Fifa executive committee member Mohamed Bin Hamman echoed that view and had already written on his blog that he considered the investigation "unethical".

"Forging identity, fabricating evidence and setting traps are unethical behaviours in my point of view," he wrote. "One thing about Middle East media, these are rare happenings there."
OMG, no doubt they don't because if they dared to try some real investigative journalism on one your royals or elites they would likely be beheaded you ****!

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #422
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7064

Of course, it was a stupid move. It's impossible to blame someone as "bunch of corruptioners" and require them the right to host WC. The Brits shot themselves. It seems that this becomes a fact.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #423
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

It seems we don't know anything yet. We won't until December.

And, as I keep pointing out, the BBC caught an IOC member selling votes in 2004, yet London went on to win 2012. This proves the press can expose corruption in a sporting body and leave their nation's bid unrharmed.

It's up to FIFA how they continue to react. We DO expect FIFA to give our bid the same chance as anyone else's. Retribution on their part would be as good as admitting guilt.

Last edited by RobH; November 5th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #424
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Media blamed as England's hopes for 2018 World Cup bid fade.
Congrats. You've won the "transparent" post of the year.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #425
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Of course, it was a stupid move. It's impossible to blame someone as "bunch of corruptioners" and require them the right to host WC. The Brits shot themselves. It seems that this becomes a fact.
WHEN will you get the differentiation between the English bid and the British media through your head?! Honestly, it's getting tiresome.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #426
RobH

Matthemod, it doesn't matter if some (Russian) forumers choose not to see the difference, the question is whether FIFA will choose not to see the difference. The noises coming from some of their members certainly are't encouraging, but as I've said already, there is very recent history of a British bid winning after the media uncovered corruption.

FIFA has a choice as to how to react. It is not, as Alexsey implies, inevitable that they'll react against England's bid. The IOC didn't after the BBC's investigation, and FIFA oughtn't after this one.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #427
WFInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4447

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBittenTwiceShy View Post
No votes in favor of the best bid but a statement against the English bid.
When did Russia say anything against English bid?

And maybe you didn't know but England has withdrawn the complaint. So, no more speculations, please.
WFInsider no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #428
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
WHEN will you get the differentiation between the English bid and the British media through your head?! Honestly, it's getting tiresome.
It's more better to tell it FIFA.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #429
RobH

FIFA already knows
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #430
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBittenTwiceShy View Post
Under the veneer of ebullience, Russia hosting 2018 will be remembered for the wrong reasons. No votes in favor of the best bid but a statement against the English bid.
But you have a good explanation. FIFA should give WC2018 to England, because "you are the best". If FIFA will not give WC2018 to England, that FIFA is corrupt, but "you are the best".
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #431
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
It's all connected to a certain extent. This is like saying those right wing radio host in america aren't connected to the republican party.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #432
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

But it ISN'T connected, that's the point. If FIFA actually denigrate the English bid, because of a completely unrelated attribute, it will just show up FIFA for the superficial and corrupt nature of it's organisation.

The English bid has done NOTHING wrong, the English stadium's have no problem, the English infrastructure has nothing wrong it, everything related to the English world cup bid is perfectly in order and legitimate.

What do you think we should do? Get some sort of government mandate to shut up and control all of the British media? I genuinely want to hear what you think the English bid, or even the British government could possibly do about such a situation that we are supposedly, and unjustly being punished for.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #433
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
The English bid has done NOTHING wrong, the English stadium's have no problem, the English infrastructure has nothing wrong it, everything related to the English world cup bid is perfectly in order and legitimate.
You say right thing. You don't find stimulus for further development. When the person or organization doesn't see the reasons for own development it becomes dangerous - competitors are capable to overtake him.
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #434
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
You say right thing. You don't find stimulus for further development. When the person or organization doesn't see the reasons for own development it becomes dangerous - competitors are capable to overtake him.
Russia's bid is going in the same direction as England's 2006 bid, it's got pretty much the same ingredients, now all it needs is the technical report to come out with England being a superior host and that could be that.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #435
WFInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4447

Quote:
Temarii confident FIFA ethics probe will clear him

Suspended FIFA executive committee member Reynald Temarii has "no doubt" he will be cleared of corruption charges and allowed to vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts.

Temarii told The Associated Press on Thursday that he is confident FIFA's ethics committee will lift his suspension next week after he shows that Britain's Sunday Times newspaper "fabricated false evidence" against him.

"I have no doubt that I will vote on December 2," Temarii wrote in an e-mail reply to questions from the AP, adding that he will be willing to later reveal for whom he voted in the secret ballots.

"I feel confident and determined that I now will have the opportunity to present my evidence to the ethics committee in order to confirm my good faith and integrity."

Temarii, who is the Oceania Football Confederation president, said he is suing the British newspaper because it edited a 4-minute, 12-second video of his interviews with undercover reporters to suggest he would sell his votes to fund a soccer academy in New Zealand.

The video "grossly manipulated" the full 98 minutes of footage now available to the ethics committee, which imposed the interim sanction last month, Temarii said.

"That's why, on the 4th of November, I have instigated legal action of defamation against the Sunday Times in London," he wrote.

Temarii is one of 24 members of FIFA's ruling executive committee that chooses World Cup hosts.

The 2018 contest is between England, Russia and the joint bids of Belgium-Holland and Spain-Portugal. The 2022 race involves the United States, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Qatar.

The ethics committee begins a three-day meeting Monday to complete investigations into alleged bribery and vote-trading.

The panel will hear evidence from Temarii and Amos Adamu, who is also provisionally suspended from FIFA's executive committee after The Sunday Times secretly filmed him appearing to offer his votes in exchange for cash toward a soccer project in his native Nigeria.

The investigation also will examine claims that Spain-Portugal and Qatar broke bidding rules by striking a vote- trading alliance, which the newspaper alleged involved another seven FIFA voters.

After the first allegations were published in the Sunday Times on Oct. 17, Temarii met with FIFA President Sepp Blatter in Zurich to ask for an ethics investigation. Also that day, he acknowledged to the AP that he made a mistake talking with the reporters, who posed as lobbyists, but maintained his innocence.

"I have nothing to be blamed for and I spent these three weeks with serenity to provide enough elements to prove that I never sold my vote for any bids, and did not even have the intention to," Temarii said Thursday.

He said he felt "disappointed and saddened" to be barred from all soccer duties, including contact with the nine World Cup bidders seeking his support. He has been mandated by the 11-nation Oceania body to support neighboring Australia for 2022.

"My vote has been part of a transparent and collective process and if the OFC executive members agree, and if the FIFA rules permit, I will be happy to announce the candidate I have voted for in 2018 and 2022 and the reasons why," he said.

Temarii said he agreed with recent criticisms of the British media by Blatter and Mohamed Bin Hamman, the Qatari president of the Asian Football Confederation, that it was "unethical" to trap soccer officials in undercover stings.

The ethics panel also is expected to rule Wednesday on cases involving four former FIFA executive officials — Tunisian lawyer Slim Aloulou, Amadou Diakite of Mali, Botswana's Ismail Bhamjee and Ahongalu Fusimalohi from Tonga — who reportedly advised undercover reporters how to bribe voters.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...b8979c95ad8f17
WFInsider no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #436
RobH

Prince William and Prime Minister David Cameron will be part of England's delegation for next month's vote for the 2018 World Cup hosts, according to a confidential FIFA list.

The prince and Cameron are included on a list of top VIPs from all bidding countries due to attend the December 2 vote for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.

The list, which has been seen by Press Association Sport, so far includes four prime ministers, Prince William, two heads of state, plus former US president Bill Clinton and the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Kahlifa Al-Thani.

Prince William is president of the Football Association and England 2018 have long had high hopes that he would attend ahead the presentations ahead of the vote by FIFA's 24-man executive committee.

St James' Palace would not confirm on Thursday whether the prince would be going to Zurich. For security reasons, members of the Royal family's movements are not usually confirmed until much closer to the date of travel.

The Prime Minister has become heavily involved in trying to revive England's bid after leaders admitted it was "significantly damaged" by the fall-out from the Sunday Times investigation into FIFA.

England 2018 had submitted a provisional and confidential list to FIFA and this is the first time that the presence of both dignitaries has been confirmed. England can include 30 people in their delegation and bid leaders also hope David Beckham will be going to Zurich to back the bid.

England's 2018 rivals Russia have deputy prime minister Igor Shuvalov named, although it is understood FIFA have also been told that their prime minister Vladimir Putin will be attending.

Holland/Belgium also have political heavyweights in their delegation with Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte and his Belgian counterpart Ives Leterme both included.

The fourth 2018 bidder Spain/Portugal - in some eyes the new favourites - have so far only named their countries' sports ministers in their delegation.

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #437
MysteryMike
BANNED

Keenly-awaited reports on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids are set to be dispatched to FIFA Executive Committee members tomorrow as the battle to host one of the world's biggest sporting occasions heads for a dramatic denouement.

However, the reports – drawn up by FIFA inspectors who visited the 11 bidding nations in a gruelling odyssey earlier this year – are not expected to be made publicly available until next Wednesday (November 17).

It is therefore likely to distract attention from the deliberations of FIFA's Ethics Committee, which is widely expected to announce its findings on the recent cash-for-votes allegations on the same day.

The reports – prepared by a team led by Harold Mayne-Nicholls, former head of the Chilean national football federation – will be scoured by bidders for material to support their cases ahead of the all-important votes by FIFA ExCo members on December 2.

Four European bids – from Belgium/Holland, England, Russia and Spain/Portugal – are contesting the right to stage the 2018 tournament.

http://www.insideworldfootball.biz/w...or-votes-probe
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #438
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
But it ISN'T connected, that's the point. If FIFA actually denigrate the English bid, because of a completely unrelated attribute, it will just show up FIFA for the superficial and corrupt nature of it's organisation.

What do you think we should do? Get some sort of government mandate to shut up and control all of the British media? I genuinely want to hear what you think the English bid, or even the British government could possibly do about such a situation that we are supposedly, and unjustly being punished for.
It's completely separate, I'm just saddened that the English bid committee haven't distanced themselves enough from the media. However that being said, England has a brilliant final presentation ready and that's how Germany won the final vote in 2006. They too had to go through this rubbish bribery scandal on the day of the vote for the 2006 tournament, who done it? I don't think anyone still knows but Germany pulled it off and so can England.
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #439
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

A Germany South Africa 2006 example has minor relevance. Yes, its a race where there was a favourite coming in second place but given the current bid cycle, its hard to really compare it to others.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #440
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
A Germany South Africa 2006 example has minor relevance. Yes, its a race where there was a favourite coming in second place but given the current bid cycle, its hard to really compare it to others.
That's true it is different, no doubt Germany didn't pay bribes and someone tried to set them up. How much is a world cup worth?
$43 billion these days, who cares about the football

Likewise Fifa turns a blind eye to longstanding charges of vote rigging. Its laughable ethics committee deplored last month's revelations as "unethical" and "rumours", though it was forced to suspend six of the alleged "vote fixers" named in the paper. Fifa's Blatter has contrived to keep his job for 36 years, by means that would do credit to a Muammar Gaddafi. He professes "surprise" at talk of bribes while banning journalists like Jennings who ask questions about them from his press conferences.

What is no less extraordinary is the inertia of international bodies supposedly set up to regulate sport. Like other supranational institutions such as the European Union and the UN's agencies, they handle large sums of other people's money without oversight or democratic audit, surrounded by reports of corruption on which they appear to take no proper action. Qatar has reportedly offered $43bn if Fifa will only give it the 2022 World Cup – or rather if the vote-fixers can cut a deal with a rival Iberian bid.

Except perhaps one. International sporting bodies do have a critic they fear, a true enemy, the profession of investigative journalism. Sometimes we should thank heaven for it. No one else is doing its job. Roll on, Sunday Times, roll on, Panorama. If England do "lose" the World Cup, it will be in a noble cause.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-world-cup-bid

Closed Thread