daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #481
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

http://news.williamhill.com/a/footba...d-in-freefall/

'We have lengthened England's odds consistently, from 8/11 to Even money in the past three days, but can't take any money for them, while Russia's odds have shortened from 6/4, and their bid is now odds-on favourite at 10/11, and the momentum seems to be with them' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

TO HOST 2018 WORLD CUP....10/11 Russia; Evens England; 8/1 Portugal/Spain; 33/1 Belgium/Holland.

Betfair now
Russia 1,9
England 2,4

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #482
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
http://news.williamhill.com/a/footba...d-in-freefall/

'We have lengthened England's odds consistently, from 8/11 to Even money in the past three days, but can't take any money for them, while Russia's odds have shortened from 6/4, and their bid is now odds-on favourite at 10/11, and the momentum seems to be with them' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

TO HOST 2018 WORLD CUP....10/11 Russia; Evens England; 8/1 Portugal/Spain; 33/1 Belgium/Holland.

Betfair now
Russia 1,9
England 2,4
thats the trend - as a betting man you would have to put your money on Russia right now
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #483
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

that's british betting agencies. russian can barely bet on them because british agancies support only your payment systems and does not support russian payment systems.

but russian betting agencies betting on russia as well. that's a world trend
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #484
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
that's british betting agencies. russian can barely bet on them because british agancies support only your payment systems and does not support russian payment systems.

but russian betting agencies betting on russia as well. that's a world trend
punters normally care about one thing, the win

location will influence the general flow, as you get some leaning towards to home team (esp early on).

as it gets closer to the day though, punters start making decisions based upon whats good for their pocket

we have a good example here now, with the Ashes. Australia are favourites with the AU agencies right now, but you speak to any serious cricket fan and most expect us to go down pretty badly. Once we get close to the first test, and the sides are selected, I'd expect a strong move of money towards England.

WC is the same. Word is leaking out on exco delegate peferences, tech reports are being assessed, you are able to better assess a likely outcome.

To be fair, the FIFA backlash against the British press has killed the English bid IMO, and now any half drunk punting moron would have Russia as favourite.

Even without the backlash though, The Spain/Qatar deal was the game changer. It means Spain (if they hold the bloc) are guaranteed to survive to the final round, so its a very different fight.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #485
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

The Spanish-Doha cheating is at the expense of Russia and America,not England and Australia.
Anti cheating sentiment will be strongly against Spain and Doha for all but those 7
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #486
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
The Spanish-Doha cheating is at the expense of Russia and America,not England and Australia.
Anti cheating sentiment will be strongly against Spain and Doha for all but those 7
I'm not sold on that - Russia was getting bullish even before the public FIFA backlash

to give them their due, the Russians have run a good bid, and the Sochi preparations are showing that they can walk the walk preparation wise. as such, I don't think they will suffer as much from the spainish deal as some think they will.

Likewise for the USA, the negatives for their bid are minimal at best, and I think some are far too much over-estimating how many UEFA delegates we have on board

As a punter, I have my money on Russia and the USA
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #487
_X_

Good luck with that,you're almost on your own with that line of thought-hence the scrambling by Blazer this week.
At the moment the Americans barely get into the 3rd round
The Americans were only too happy to see fighting for votes between AFC members until they finally realised last week that Qatar and Australia are targeting different markets.
Thats why,if they go down,they will make sure everyone knows who the culprits are
To suggest England will not make the final two because of some media scrutiny is insane.Russia and Spain are fighting for similar votes-one of them won't make the last two
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #488
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Good luck with that,you're almost on your own with that line of thought-hence the scrambling by Blazer this week.
The Americans were only too happy to see fighting for votes between AFC members until they finally realised last week that Qatar and Australia are targeting different markets.
Thats why,if they go down,they will make sure everyone knows who the culprits are
To suggest England will not make the final two because of some media scrutiny is insane.Russia and Spain are fighting for similar votes-one of them won't make the last two
Ha ha! The US has at least 9 votes for the first round--in case you didn't see; my office checked. Ha ha!!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #489
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Ha ha! The US has at least 9 votes for the first round--in case you didn't see; my office checked. Ha ha!!
Why keep the laughter private-from the USA thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
I think it was X who asked..."aside from Blazer, Warner and Thompson, who else can the US bid count on?"

Our offices just got off the phones. Here's your answer: In addition to the 3 above, Salguero, Hayatou, Leoz, Teixeira, Anouma, Valcke, Beckenbauer, Lefkaratis and Llona will compose the (first-round) U.S. bloc.
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #490
T74

Quote:
As I mentioned, I think you guys are pushing way too many UEFA votes the Australian way (I read one poster having zero going to the USA)
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #491
Gondolier

Quote:
Why keep the laughter private-from the USA thread
They already know. They don't have to be told.
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #492
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
As I mentioned, I think you guys are pushing way too many UEFA votes the Australian way (I read one poster having zero going to the USA)
Not just UEFA, Jack Warner is currently in the process of trying to steal something else, an African world cup place. I doubt the African delegation are going to take to this too kindly.

MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #493
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post

Well they did have Spain,but no longer because of Qatar
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #494
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

Betting odds are an interesting sideshow, but can't be taken that seriously in bid races.

Normally odds do reflect reality and likely outcomes because betting patterns follow known form. You take the odds from any weekend in the Premier League and mostly the teams with the shortest odds will win. But there is little known form when it comes to 20+ FIFA executives and their personal whimsies; same goes for the IOC.

So bookies' odds in bid races - especially tight ones - are a horribly unreliable indicator in reality.

Paris 2012 was, as I always say when bookies' odds are used in a debate like this, 1-2 odds on in a five horse race! An utterly ridiculous price given how close everything was, but completely reflecting the fact that everyone (apart from me, haha!) bet on Paris because their bid had been hyped up as the favourite to such an extent.

Similarly, I read that Russian betting offices lost over 10 million rubles when Sochi won 2014. Nobody, not even Russia was expecting Sochi to win that one and the odds reflected the accepted narrative rather than how the votes actually went.

British betting offices stung by London 2012 winning and Russian betting offices stung by Sochi 2014 winning. Quite funny really!
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #495
MysteryMike
BANNED

FIFA's ethics court begins a three-day session on Monday to help decide if two voters and at least two candidates should be barred from the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests for alleged corruption.

The unprecedented meeting in Zurich will shape a tense final stretch of lobbying before FIFA's executive committee chooses the hosts in a secret ballot on Dec. 2. The poll could proceed without Reynald Temarii and Amos Adamu, who are suspended from the 24-man body and will plead their case for reinstatement to the ethics committee.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said the ethics probe should "bring back credibility to football."

Awarding a World Cup is FIFA's most important decision, with each tournament required to earn around 95 percent of the governing body's income every four years.

However, the process has been rocked by allegations made by the British Sunday Times last month. The newspaper published secretly filmed interviews with current and former FIFA officials which suggested voters could be bribed, and that bidders were flouting the rules by striking vote-trading pacts.

Those being investigated have stressed their innocence and expressed confidence that the ethics panel will find no conclusive evidence of corruption.

"I have no doubt that I will vote on Dec. 2," Temarii, the suspended FIFA vice president, told The Associated Press last week. He said the ethics hearing would let him show that "grossly manipulated" interviews were edited to make him appear corrupt.

Temarii, the Tahitian president of Oceania's confederation, and Amos Adamu of Nigeria were filmed in an undercover sting appearing to offer their votes for sale to fund football projects at home.

Asian confederation president Mohamed Bin Hammam also has defended his native Qatar, a 2022 candidate, against allegations of colluding with 2018 contender Spain-Portugal.

"I can bet you (that) you will never see any proof," Bin Hammam told a Swiss television channel in a recent interview posted on his personal website.

FIFA has not identified which of the nine bidders it is investigating. The European contest for 2018 is between England, Russia and the joint bids of Belgium-Netherlands and Spain-Portugal. The 2022 race involves the United States, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Qatar.

An Oct. 20 meeting of the ethics committee already was set to examine bidders' behavior when the Sunday Times published its first allegations about Temarii and Adamu. A second round of revelations came the next weekend.

Blatter's former right-hand man at FIFA, Michel Zen-Ruffinen, was shown telling reporters posing as lobbyists that Qatar and Spain-Portugal had arranged to secure seven of the 24 votes. A simple majority is needed to win.

"This is not just a rumor, that's fact," said Zen-Ruffinen, who succeeded his boss Blatter to serve as FIFA's general secretary from 1998-2002 and was offering to work as a consultant.

Talk about a Qatari-Iberian plot deepened when it emerged that during an Oct. 29 meeting of FIFA's executive committee, Spain's bid leader Angel Maria Villar passed a note to Bin Hammam which translated as "Congratulations, we're going to win." Villar's intended meaning is unclear, but witnesses said it happened after Blatter acknowledged no hard evidence of collusion had been found.

Blatter is likely to play a big role if the ethics committee offers up advise rather than binding verdicts on Wednesday.

Led by lawyer and former Switzerland player Claudio Sulser, the independent panel gets its authority from the executive committee chaired by Blatter. FIFA statutes also allow ethics decisions to be challenged at its appeal committee and then the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The FIFA president has called his executive group into emergency session in Zurich on Friday to address the ethics decisions.

The ethics committee also will consider cases against four former FIFA executive committee members who, like Temarii and Adamu, are serving provisional suspensions from football duty.

Tunisian lawyer Slim Aloulou, Amadou Diakite of Mali, Botswana's Ismail Bhamjee and Ahongalu Fusimalohi from Tonga all reportedly advised undercover reporters how to bribe FIFA voters and how much to pay.

http://football.thestar.com.my/story...ootball_latest
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #496
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

I think the tags are pushing it a bit too far...
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #497
TheoG

lol
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #498
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Betting odds are an interesting sideshow, but can't be taken that seriously in bid races.

!
Betting odds are meaningless as any indicator given the fact they aren't a reflection of what the industry line setters think who will win a given event or game but what those experts figure the general public is most likely to vote in a given event or game.

They want equal dollars spent on both sides of a better as much as possible they don't reflect the chances of those who in the know actually think will win.
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #499
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Betting odds are meaningless as any indicator given the fact they aren't a reflection of what the industry line setters think who will win a given event or game but what those experts figure the general public is most likely to vote in a given event or game.

They want equal dollars spent on both sides of a better as much as possible they don't reflect the chances of those who in the know actually think will win.
The betting agencies also try and con people obviously, which is why you make up your own decision, not follow what they tell you. It's always some bogus line, that's planned to screw you.
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #500
MysteryMike
BANNED

Closed Thread