daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #41
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,176
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
They agreed to bid either on the World Cup or the Winter Olympics and chose the Winter Olympics. I think that FIFA will essentially ignore Asian bids for 2018 and 2022 because they want to go to China in 2026. The question is whether Australia is considered Oceania or Asia.
Interesting. First I've heard of that
JYDA no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM   #42
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
They agreed to bid either on the World Cup or the Winter Olympics and chose the Winter Olympics. I think that FIFA will essentially ignore Asian bids for 2018 and 2022 because they want to go to China in 2026. The question is whether Australia is considered Oceania or Asia.
the problem with china is they really need to lift there game if they intend to bid for the world cup. they have only qualified once and they lost 3 out of 3 games, this I think shows a serious lack of interest of the game from a population of over 1,000,000,000. FIFA also cant wait for a Chinese bid for 2026 because they have no way of knowing who will bid when they are deciding on the host for 2022. However a bid from china would be extremely hard to ignore.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM   #43
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 259

For those who are very sad and concerned about Chicago, WC is a sort of consolation.
Furthermore, Chicago is among the bidding cities and can't be ignored by FIFA.

http://nyunews.com/opinion/2009/oct/01/chamberlain/

I have a suggestion, win the 2022 world cup bid and one city will have more experiences for OG bid.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM   #44
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I think this, it's the most fair


2030...South America URUGUAY

And according to the thread, I don't think that Qatar and Indonesia could organize a World Cup, i'm not offend u but it's a little complicated cuz this countries are not "powerful" in soccer, so I dismiss them.

Japan and Korea...mmm I don't know, could be posible but Australia is the better option, inspite of Australia is officially in Asian federation, so, 2018 is for them, not for Europe, they gotta wait. 2022 I think CONCACAF deserve a WC because the last time was in 94 and my favorite candidate obviously is Mexico but I don't know, it would be great, the first country organizing a WC for third time!!! 2026 should be for Europe, 20 years after the last time in Germany, and I'd like Russia more than England, and 2030 unquestionably for Uruguay, celebrating 100 years of World Cups
is uruguay large enough for a world cup?
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM   #45
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 259

I understand your pride about celebrating the 100 years of world cup.
However, Uruguay has not many stadiums to host 32 teams, is a small country and may not have enough money to realize it.

As for me,

2018: UEFA (England or Spain)
2022: CONCACAF (only USA)
2026: AFC (China or Australia)
2030: UEFA (England or Spain)
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM   #46
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
I'm still shocked that China didn't bid. They'd be my favourite to get 2022 if they'd submited a bid
I'm really glad they didn't lol.

I know for a fact that China would easily win the bid for 2022.

Without China, the USA has a great chance to win it.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM   #47
lemog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 649
Likes (Received): 644

There is a huge campaign for Uruguay to host 2030, but it's a small country indeed. Current speculations are saying about a joint Uruguay/Argentina for 2030, with Montevideu having the final.
lemog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM   #48
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 23,198
Likes (Received): 5793

How a country like Qatar will host it? It´s too small!! they would need at least 9 large stadiums..
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #49
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemog View Post
There is a huge campaign for Uruguay to host 2030, but it's a small country indeed. Current speculations are saying about a joint Uruguay/Argentina for 2030, with Montevideu having the final.
I don't see how that makes sense for Argentina. With work, they are capable of hosting the WC alone and I'd think that they would look to see if they could do it themselves before bringing Uruguay along. Brazil has 2014, but after trips to Europe, Asia, North America and back to Europe, I think that Argentina would stand a good chance on their own in 2034.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #50
akamoke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 64
Likes (Received): 2

This to me is fair

2010 - Africa
2014 - South America
2018 - Europe
2022 - Asia /Pacific
2026 - North America
2030 - Africa
2034 - South America

Now that is FAIR, not wishful thinking
akamoke no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #51
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamoke View Post
This to me is fair

2010 - Africa
2014 - South America
2018 - Europe
2022 - Asia /Pacific
2026 - North America
2030 - Africa
2034 - South America

Now that is FAIR, not wishful thinking
Why is it fair to make Asia/Pacific wait only 20 years to get the WC again, while North America must wait 32?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #52
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,881
Likes (Received): 6446

I think that Australia could easily host the WC. A lot of Aussies would attend the games for atmosphere and perhaps take up a liking for the sport which is in dire need for supporters in the region.

As a country, we've successfully held the only two Olympic Games in the Southern Hemisphere, four Commonwealth Games, and the Rugby World Cup twice. Proving we're more than adequate of hosting such a prestigious event.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #53
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I think that Australia could easily host the WC. A lot of Aussies would attend the games for atmosphere and perhaps take up a liking for the sport which is in dire need for supporters in the region.

As a country, we've successfully held the only two Olympic Games in the Southern Hemisphere, four Commonwealth Games, and the Rugby World Cup twice. Proving we're more than adequate of hosting such a prestigious event.
Australia is capable, but they have two things working against them.

1) They can no longer lay claim to the fact that Oceania has never hosted. They are Asia now and as a result, are in direct competition with other Asian nations. Should Australia not get 2018/2022, they will likely have to compete with China, which would be an uphill climb for the Aussies.

2) Australia must build many stadiums and convince FIFA that the oval stadiums are not too bad. There is a lot of work to be done if the Aussies are to host a World Cup.

They are issues that can be overcome, but it presents obstacles for an Australian bid.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #54
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,881
Likes (Received): 6446

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Australia is capable, but they have two things working against them.

1) They can no longer lay claim to the fact that Oceania has never hosted. They are Asia now and as a result, are in direct competition with other Asian nations. Should Australia not get 2018/2022, they will likely have to compete with China, which would be an uphill climb for the Aussies.

2) Australia must build many stadiums and convince FIFA that the oval stadiums are not too bad. There is a lot of work to be done if the Aussies are to host a World Cup.

They are issues that can be overcome, but it presents obstacles for an Australian bid.
For sure. If we do win either 2018 or 2022 our Gov't would inject a hell of a lot of money into building the necessary infrastructure to host the WC. It's no good that we're considered a part of Asia but perhaps the committee would see through that and realise that we are an island continent of our own. Wishful thinking?

As for the Oval Stadiums. gah

We might even get to see ANZ Stadium with the stands coming out the sides (Not sure of correct terminology...)

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #55
Livno80101
studying
 
Livno80101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA 95070
Posts: 603
Likes (Received): 3

2018.
England - reason: Two WC's before 2018. are held out of Europe, 2010. Africa and 2014. Brazil. So England is winner. Russia dont have any chance, distances between cities are huge, and it would be stupid to have three-four stadiums in Moscow.

2022.
USA/Australia - reason: Australia is growing football nation, and USA is too, they have money and they have infrastructure, and Australia is in better position because that part of world never had World Cup. And other countries dont have chance.
Qatar - funny and REALLY not serious (they have like four cities total, total capacity of stadium would be bigger than countries population, and who would play football under 40 degrees Celsius - but I don't have anything against Qatar as country, only I am against their bid - would be better to bid for Basketball world cup).
Indonesia - not yet, not before 2034.
Japan - held WC 20 years ago.
Korea - as like as Japan.
Livno80101 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #56
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Why is it fair to make Asia/Pacific wait only 20 years to get the WC again, while North America must wait 32?
1. Asia has many more countries capable of hosting.

2. AFC population is more than 2,000,000,000 more than CONCACAF

3. The only country now bidding in North America is the USA which hosted recently where as all the bids in asia have never hosted before.

4. European/South american cups time coinside quite well with tv viewing in north america.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #57
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister
 
GEwinnen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buer in Westfalen
Posts: 2,139
Likes (Received): 2749

What are the average distances of the russian venues?
And what about the infrastructure in Russia? Will they have high speed trains linking the host cities?
I would prefer a compact country with short distances, for me
1 England
2 NL/Belgium
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #58
poxuy
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livno80101 View Post
2018.
England - reason: Two WC's before 2018. are held out of Europe, 2010. Africa and 2014. Brazil. So England is winner. Russia dont have any chance, distances between cities are huge, and it would be stupid to have three-four stadiums in Moscow.
Distances are not so big if you will look at the map and compare with Brasil for example. And (!) teams of one group will be played in "clusters", where distances even less. Moscow will have 2 stadiums. So writing about that as problems is stupid. Russian bidding committee will solve this problem just building high-speed train roads. It's already exist between Moscow and St.Petersburg (now it's 3,5 hours and 230 km/h, will be 350 km/h). I just wanna say that these are not problems for professionals.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM   #59
poxuy
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
What are the average distances of the russian venues?
And what about the infrastructure in Russia? Will they have high speed trains linking the host cities?
I would prefer a compact country with short distances, for me
1 England
2 NL/Belgium
Teams on group round will play in clusters:

North-West: Kaliningrad, St. Petersburg - 820 km;
Central: Moscow, Podolsk (Moscow Region) - 37 km;
Volga: Yaroslavl, Nizhni Novgorod, Kazan, Samara, Saransk, Volgograd - 285, 330, 290, 350, 615 km;
South: Rostov-on-Don, Krasnodar, Sochi - 250, 170 km.
So, 1-3 hours on high-speed train.

To campare - distance between Warsaw and Kiev - 685 km (EURO 2012). Manaus - Cuiabá - 1470 km, Brasilia - Rio - 900 km (Brasil 2014).



poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #60
HendrX
Registered User
 
HendrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Breda
Posts: 445
Likes (Received): 29

Holland and belgium, because we really deserve it!
HendrX no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu