daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #681
RobH

Likes (Received): 10348

Why's he not going? Sorry, can't read Russian.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #682
Egor

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Why's he not going? Sorry, can't read Russian.
My English is not good… but nevertheless:

Some unknown person from Russian Government allege that Putin won’t be in Zurich because there is no reason for his visit. He said that deal is already complete and World Cup 2018 will be in Russia…
But I don’t believe that Putin can let go chance to be on tv screen in the moment of Russian victory (potential victory)
Egor no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #683
JimB

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egor View Post
My English is not good… but nevertheless:

Some unknown person from Russian Government allege that Putin won’t be in Zurich because there is no reason for his visit. He said that deal is already complete and World Cup 2018 will be in Russia…
But I don’t believe that Putin can let go chance to be on tv screen in the moment of Russian victory (potential victory)
How could anyone say yet that the "deal is already complete and World Cup 2018 will be in Russia"?

Sounds a bit dodgy even if, in fact, it is merely arrogance / over-confidence!
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #684
Egor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
How could anyone say yet that the "deal is already complete and World Cup 2018 will be in Russia"?

that is only words from officials… in Russia this news has unambiguous understanding: we have not good chances for victory...
Egor no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #685
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7065

My congratulations to our opponents! We're lost!
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #686
RobH

Likes (Received): 10348

What, just because Putin isn't there you think the bid is dead?

So, we're in a situation where people from England no longer think England will win because of FIFA's reaction our media, and people frmo Russia no longer think Russia will win because of Putin's apparent no-show.

I've never known supporters of two supposed joint-favourites to be so gloomy about their prospects.

What a complete farce this entire bid race has been. We don't agree on much but can we at least agree that FIFA are a bunch of crooks and be done with it? I'm feeling well disposed to Russia's bid and their chances today for some reason, perhaps because we've got a lot of snow outside and it feels like Siberia in London today.

Last edited by RobH; November 30th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #687
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1114

Quote:
that is only words from officials… in Russia this news has unambiguous understanding: we have not good chances for victory...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
My congratulations to our opponents! We're lost!
Why?

Sure it's going to be a huge challenge to prepare everything in 8 years but Russia has a good bid and it will attract a few votes.

(by the way I'm happy with any of the 2018 bidders except for Spain as they held it most recently and for their treachery).

Last edited by Walbanger; November 30th, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #688
JimB

Quote:
Ah! I see.

But just as I don't understand how anyone can be sure that Russia will win, I don't understand how they can be sure that Russia won't win.

It's too close to call and there's no way of knowing which way secondary votes will go.

As London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympics proved, last minute campaigning can make all the difference.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #689
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
What, just because Putin isn't there?
Because now the English and Spanish teams of support looks much more impressive than the Russian (politicans, sport stars, media persons). The majority in our team are unknown football officials.

When you have a same chances of winning, a minor factor might greatly play in favor of your opponent.

Last edited by AlekseyVT; November 30th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #690
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:

Totally agreed. But this is just populism of the unknown politician. The whole article is more pessimistic.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #691
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Putin said he would only go if he was 100% confident of a Russian win ... could Spain bribe thier way to the World Cup.

We wont get it now on the basic principle. FIFA are pissed off with our truthful press.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #692
Egor

Quote:
Because now the English and Spanish teams of support looks much more impressive than the Russian (politicans, sport stars, media persons). The majority in our team are unknown football officials.
I agree!

Putin isn’t going to associate his name with defeat…

And maybe our reaction is so nervous… because our dream to host World Cup is extremely huge, and every negative news create such emotions...

Last edited by Egor; November 30th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Egor no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #693
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
As London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympics proved, last minute campaigning can make all the difference.
Right. Tony Blair has done everything possible to help London (maybe it was only well thing that he has done for Britain). While Putin has supported the Moscow bid with help of TV-broadcast. As a result, London has won in the final round, and Moscow has lost in the first round.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #694
JimB

Quote:
Right. Tony Blair has done everything possible to help London (maybe it was only well thing that he has done for Britain). While Putin has supported the Moscow bid with help of TV-broadcast. As a result, London has won in the final round, and Moscow has lost in the first round.
I wouldn't despair just yet, if I was you.

Russia is still well in the game.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #695
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6828

Moscow was an independent bid for 2012. It was run by Luzhkov, so wasn't supported by federal government.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #696
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
What would it tell us about fifa if england didnt even get passed round 1, and all this talk about legacy, italia 90 ? france 98 germany 2006 ? what legacy was left. And why is englands bid seen as being weaker than the russian bid because we can hold a world cup tommorrow ! should it not be the other way around ? and how many african fans are going to turn up and be welcome in russia ! And it wasnt so long ago that black england players were geting monkey chants from the great spanish public ! But all the efforts of new stadiums the fight aganist hooligans and kick racists out of football that england has been doing for the last 20 years , counts for nothing in the eyes of fifa
Quite true this quote.

English football has led the way on changing the game across the world to be safer, fairer and more accessible to all. Should be rewarded in kind.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #697
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
No disrespect but the Moscow bid was pretty much out of the running before the vote. If you consider the chaos of the NYC bid, just before the vote, the Moscow bid, while admirable in Round 1, were far from being a favourite.

Obama showed up for Chicago and it still failed in Round 1.

It has to do with "first votes", and in a field of NYC, Paris, London etc. Moscow was always going to find it tough, compounded by the evaluation commission report.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #698
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Quote:
I wouldn't despair just yet, if I was you.

Russia is still well in the game.
The problem is that our bid is based on large-scale innovative project, on the future prospects. In this case, the Head of Goverment is simply obliged to personally convince the voters in the feasibility of this project.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #699
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9720

Again:

Allez Belgique Allez !! Hup Holland Hup !!

Last edited by parcdesprinces; December 2nd, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #700
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
Quite true this quote.

English football has led the way on changing the game across the world to be safer, fairer and more accessible to all. Should be rewarded in kind.
Except in places where it was never a problem.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Closed Thread