daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #81
SSE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 124
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I feel the same way about it. But I think Qatar could bid as a join bid with other Arab Small Countries like UAE, Bahrein, Kwait, Oman and maybe even Saudi Arabia. Host Cities would be:

UAE: Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Oman: Mascat
Qatar: Doha
Bahrein: Manama
Kuwait: Kuwait
Saudi Arabia: Riyad, Jiddah

That's the most ridiculous suggestion ever. None of those countries are footballing powers, and aren't guaranteed (or even likely for most of them) to qualify. FIFA isn't going to let a 6 way joint host bid and give away 6 places in the tournament to teams who would struggle to beat a fourth tier English league team. It would completely undermine the tournament, and be extremely bad for Asian football.

The biggest problem for the middle east is the temperature. Yes, the stadiums themselves might be temperature controlled but what everywhere else? Teams need to train everyday, are they going to build facilities for 32 teams to have access to grass pitch indoor facilities? The cost would be astronomical. FIFA won't want to expose players and fans to Qatar in June. During the games it might be fine, but that's only 90 minutes out of the day, what happens for the rest of the team? Do they expect players to just sit in their hotels?

Obviously, being English I want us to win the 2018 tournament. I think it is important that UEFA gets a tournament every 12 years as it's the centre of world football. South America has great players, but they all come to Europe in the end (most of them before they are even 22). It's also the only place where high quality stadiums are available in high enough numbers, but without ridiculous travel distances.
SSE no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #82
JoseRP
@PueblaAntigua
 
JoseRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Puebla de los Angeles
Posts: 4,936
Likes (Received): 3354

definitely Australia
__________________
Instagram: joserrp
Instagram: PueblaAntigua
JoseRP no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #83
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 375
Likes (Received): 260

I am making a projection about vote for 2022 world cup bids.
Each executive commitee member will have to vote.
I suppose the USA, Australia will make a possible final. It would be CONCACAF vs AFC.

Joseph S. BLATTER (Switzerland) : USA

Julio H. GRONDONA (Argentina ) : USA

Issa HAYATOU (Cameroon) : Australia

CHUNG Mong Joon (Korea Republic) : Australia

Jack A. WARNER (Trinidad and Tobago) : USA

Ángel María VILLAR LLONA (Spain) : USA

Michel PLATINI (France) : Australia

Reynald TEMARII (Tahiti) : Australia

Geoff THOMPSON (England) : USA

Michel D'HOOGHE (Belgium) : USA

Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA (Brazil) : USA

Mohamed BIN HAMMAM (Qatar) : Australia

Senes ERZIK (Turkey) : USA

Chuck BLAZER (USA) : non voting

Worawi MAKUDI (Thailand) : Australia

Nicolás LEOZ (Paraguay) : USA

Junji OGURA (Japan) : Australia

Amos ADAMU (Nigeria) : USA

Marios LEFKARITIS (Cyprus) : USA

Jacques ANOUMA (Côte d'Ivoire) : USA

Franz BECKENBAUER (Germany) : Australia

Rafael SALGUERO (Guatemala) : USA

Hany ABO RIDA (Egypt) : USA

Vitaliy MUTKO (Russia) : Australia


If Australia stayed in OFC, it could be normal for them to organize a WC. However they went to AFC and it would do it after 20 years and CONCACAF would have to wait 32 years.
The objective of actual politic is to have a rotation between confederations.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #84
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 375
Likes (Received): 260

This could be a first round for 2018 WC bids.

Joseph S. BLATTER (Switzerland) : England

Julio H. GRONDONA (Argentina ) : Spain/Portugal

Issa HAYATOU (Cameroon) : Spain/Portugal

CHUNG Mong Joon (Korea Republic) : England

Jack A. WARNER (Trinidad and Tobago) : England

Ángel María VILLAR LLONA (Spain) : non voting

Michel PLATINI (France) : Spain/Portugal

Reynald TEMARII (Tahiti) : England

Geoff THOMPSON (England) : non voting

Michel D'HOOGHE (Belgium) : non voting

Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA (Brazil) : Spain/Portugal

Mohamed BIN HAMMAM (Qatar) : Russia

Senes ERZIK (Turkey) : England

Chuck BLAZER (USA) : England

Worawi MAKUDI (Thailand) : England

Nicolás LEOZ (Paraguay) : Spain/Portugal

Junji OGURA (Japan) : Belgium/Netherlands

Amos ADAMU (Nigeria) : England

Marios LEFKARITIS (Cyprus) : Russia

Jacques ANOUMA (Côte d'Ivoire) : England

Franz BECKENBAUER (Germany) : England

Rafael SALGUERO (Guatemala) : Spain/Portugal

Hany ABO RIDA (Egypt) : Russia

Vitaliy MUTKO (Russia) : non voting
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #85
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by A340-500 View Post


That's not entirely correct. Blatter stated that he didn't liked an organisation like Japan/South-Korea back in 2002, which were indeed two separate organisations.

If an organisation presents itself as one political organisation (like the Netherlands-Belgium bid), it will be considered as one country, as Blatter said.

Also mention that the distances between major cities, language differences (both Dutch speaking countries) and cultural differences are all very small. Even political it's sometimes considered as one nation; the BeNeLux.
i do give credit to the Benelux bid as they do seem like one organisation. however they still get 2 automatic qualification places, since they are 2 host nations. Thats the only downfall of the Benelux bid.
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #86
cjav
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rotterdam, New Haven
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 117

Meh the Netherlands wont need an automatic qualification, we can let the belgian have that one.
Organizationally belgium/netherlands will be very strong. Good public transport and small distances.

@californiajones, what do you base your predictions on?
cjav no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #87
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,023
Likes (Received): 4814

Seems to be a fairly high proportion of 40-45K stadiums in the Benelux bid.

That might count against it.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #88
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 23,951
Likes (Received): 7207

England .

We don't want to be Spain's maid.
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #89
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 375
Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjav View Post
Meh the Netherlands wont need an automatic qualification, we can let the belgian have that one.
Organizationally belgium/netherlands will be very strong. Good public transport and small distances.

@californiajones, what do you base your predictions on?
Michel Platini seems to prefer Spain/Portugal over England.
Sepp Blatter is not hot with coorganisations.
South americains members have special relations with Spain or Portugal.
Some national teams have some stars playing in Englad or Spain.
Beckhenbauer supports England.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #90
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Săo Paulo
Posts: 23,198
Likes (Received): 5794

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
This could be a first round for 2018 WC bids.

Joseph S. BLATTER (Switzerland) : England

Julio H. GRONDONA (Argentina ) : Spain/Portugal

Issa HAYATOU (Cameroon) : Spain/Portugal

CHUNG Mong Joon (Korea Republic) : England

Jack A. WARNER (Trinidad and Tobago) : England

Ángel María VILLAR LLONA (Spain) : non voting

Michel PLATINI (France) : Spain/Portugal

Reynald TEMARII (Tahiti) : England

Geoff THOMPSON (England) : non voting

Michel D'HOOGHE (Belgium) : non voting

Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA (Brazil) : Spain/Portugal

Mohamed BIN HAMMAM (Qatar) : Russia

Senes ERZIK (Turkey) : England

Chuck BLAZER (USA) : England

Worawi MAKUDI (Thailand) : England

Nicolás LEOZ (Paraguay) : Spain/Portugal

Junji OGURA (Japan) : Belgium/Netherlands

Amos ADAMU (Nigeria) : England

Marios LEFKARITIS (Cyprus) : Russia

Jacques ANOUMA (Côte d'Ivoire) : England

Franz BECKENBAUER (Germany) : England

Rafael SALGUERO (Guatemala) : Spain/Portugal

Hany ABO RIDA (Egypt) : Russia

Vitaliy MUTKO (Russia) : non voting
We cant predict it, because even though is quite clear that 2018 will possible be in Europe, People still can vote for USA and AFC bids.
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #91
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Like I've said before...I think FIFA would rather have China host the 2026 WC...
hngcm no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #92
Skycrap
Enschede goes high 8)
 
Skycrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Enschede
Posts: 792
Likes (Received): 8

I got some inside information:

The FIFA is afraid of the hooliganculture in England, thats a big problem for there bid. Spain and Portugal are 2 seperated organisations, just like South-Korea and Japan. The also don't like that idea. The Netherlands and Belgium got some good advantages (1 organisation, great transport, small distances), but don't have extrodonary stadiums.

It's going to be interesting!
__________________
Avatar: New Dish Hotel tower @ Enschede, The Netherlands. U/C jan. 2008
Skycrap no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #93
A340-500
Registered User
 
A340-500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 57
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycrap View Post
The Netherlands and Belgium got some good advantages (1 organisation, great transport, small distances), but don't have extrodonary stadiums.
But, the stadiums are very modern and safe (some even brand new, like the New Kuip).

And don't forget the proposed new stadium of FC Utrecht, which will be a 44.000 seater probably (very recent information).

It makes a total of 6 suitable WC stadiums in the Netherlands.
A340-500 no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #94
Wuppeltje
Registered User
 
Wuppeltje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 5,839
Likes (Received): 965



At this time there are 8 WC stadium plans in 6 different cities. In Rotterdam the old Kuip has been proposed to use, and in Amsterdam a temporary enlargement (also for other events such as the EC athletics) of the Olympic Stadium (22.288 seats now) has been proposed.
__________________
Volg de Noord/Zuidlijn op Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram en Flickr
Wuppeltje no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #95
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,573
Likes (Received): 1439

If Russia has it and uses "kaliningrad", I sure hope Germany meets them there and crushes them!
And the german fans will go "Königsberg, Königsberg, Königsberg!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
1772 no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #96
poxuy
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 531
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
If Russia has it and uses "kaliningrad", I sure hope Germany meets them there and crushes them!
And the german fans will go "Königsberg, Königsberg, Königsberg!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Germans would be too late I think the best city for Germany to play games on group stage will be Volgograd (Stalingrad). Though it's not funny.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #97
RobH
Registered User
 
RobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London-ish
Posts: 12,781
Likes (Received): 10348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycrap View Post
I got some inside information:

The FIFA is afraid of the hooliganculture in England, thats a big problem for there bid. Spain and Portugal are 2 seperated organisations, just like South-Korea and Japan. The also don't like that idea. The Netherlands and Belgium got some good advantages (1 organisation, great transport, small distances), but don't have extrodonary stadiums.

It's going to be interesting!
Inside information? Who are you? I could have made that lot up off the top of my head.

England doesn't have a problem with hooliganism, and certainly compared to places like Poland/Ukraine, who've just been awarded 2012, it's nothing.

The last incident was at the West Ham v Millwall match, and other Europeans who saw that said that that wasn't hooliganism compared to what they see in their own countries now.

England has one of, if not the safest matchday experiences in Europe. Why do you think the Italians are looking to the British policing/stewarding/stadium model for reforming their own game?
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #98
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,023
Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Inside information? Who are you? I could have made that lot up off the top of my head.

England doesn't have a problem with hooliganism, and certainly compared to places like Poland/Ukraine, who've just been awarded 2012, it's nothing.

The last incident was at the West Ham v Millwall match, and other Europeans who saw that said that that wasn't hooliganism compared to what they see in their own countries now.

England has one of, if not the safest matchday experiences in Europe. Why do you think the Italians are looking to the British policing/stewarding/stadium model for reforming their own game?
Exactly.

It's not as if hooliganism is unheard of in Holland either. Feyenoord v Ajax always leads to some trouble.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #99
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,023
Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by A340-500 View Post
But, the stadiums are very modern and safe (some even brand new, like the New Kuip).

And don't forget the proposed new stadium of FC Utrecht, which will be a 44.000 seater probably (very recent information).

It makes a total of 6 suitable WC stadiums in the Netherlands.
I don't doubt that all the Benelux stadiums will be of an excellent quality. But there's no getting away from the fact that all but four or five of them will be in the 40-45K range - which is at the smaller end of the allowable scale.

Contrast to Iberia - where only three or four stadiums will be in the 40-45K range, with the rest ranging from 50K to 100K.

....or England - where only four or five stadia will be in the 40-45K range, with the remainder ranging from 50K to 90K.

I don't know enough yet about Russia's stadiums to be able to say how they compare.

Stadium size alone won't be a deal-breaker as far as FIFA is concerned but, given the size disadvantage, the Benelux bid will have to be far stronger than the other European bids in most other respects in order to stand a chance of winning the vote.

Either that, or the Benelux bid team will have to play an outstanding political game.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #100
TEBC
Registered User
 
TEBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Săo Paulo
Posts: 23,198
Likes (Received): 5794

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
That's the most ridiculous suggestion ever. None of those countries are footballing powers, and aren't guaranteed (or even likely for most of them) to qualify. FIFA isn't going to let a 6 way joint host bid and give away 6 places in the tournament to teams who would struggle to beat a fourth tier English league team. It would completely undermine the tournament, and be extremely bad for Asian football.

The biggest problem for the middle east is the temperature. Yes, the stadiums themselves might be temperature controlled but what everywhere else? Teams need to train everyday, are they going to build facilities for 32 teams to have access to grass pitch indoor facilities? The cost would be astronomical. FIFA won't want to expose players and fans to Qatar in June. During the games it might be fine, but that's only 90 minutes out of the day, what happens for the rest of the team? Do they expect players to just sit in their hotels?

Obviously, being English I want us to win the 2018 tournament. I think it is important that UEFA gets a tournament every 12 years as it's the centre of world football. South America has great players, but they all come to Europe in the end (most of them before they are even 22). It's also the only place where high quality stadiums are available in high enough numbers, but without ridiculous travel distances.
You don´t have to be rude!! I just said that Qatar alone is completly impossible to host it. But I dont see why in future FIFA wont consider a 4-6 joint bid. UEFA already did with Scandinavian bid fr UEFA and Asia Cup was hosted by 4 countries. They don´t need necessarily be automatic qualified. We could have a main Host, like Saudi Arabia and the others countries only taking part as host. But anyone, I was just saying that Qatar alone is not viable. They will host ASian CUp 2011 though.
TEBC no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu