daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #121
jostein
Metro de Gran Plaza

Likes (Received): 16

It's time to PORTUGAL&SPAIN
It's time to IBERIA

PARA SEVILLA ˇYA!
TORRE CAJASOL FAÇADE PROGRESS:
-1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
jostein no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #122
cjav

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Absolute rubbish.

The West Ham v Millwall incident was nothing compared to what happens in Europe much more often. In the Netherlands Feyenoord v Ajax attracts far more trouble than anything in England. Even in Spain I'd say there were more problems than in England, Atletico Madrid received a two game stadium ban and were fined over racist abuse and violence against Marseille a couple of years ago.

As someone else said, England is the safest place in the world to watch a football match.
Bit double here. England has a reputation and history for WC and EC hooliganism and trouble. The Netherlands might have Ajax vs Feyenoord, but if you look at WC or EC then you will notice their are never problems with hooliganism or violence. Dutch hooligans completely ignore WC and EC, which are family events.
The hooligans I know make a huge but seriously huge distinction between the two.
That said, the organization in the Netherlands will be superb, you can count on that. Money wise it will be attractive for FIFA as well.
cjav no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #123
JimB

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
Yeah well, Feynoord will not play against Ajax during the WC The hooliganism in England is a bit worse.
You're living in the past. Hooliganism hasn't been a problem in England or with the England team for a long time.

And, given English clubs' perennial strength in the Champions League, there isn't a country in the world that is better equipped or has more experience of staging big football matches. That's why countries around the world look to England as the model for policing and stewarding football.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #124
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrX View Post
**** England...............

2018 World CUP Belgium and the Netherlands period!

They will have the best bid! And that´s what its all about!
A very good bid in some respects.

But there's no getting away from the fact that, overall, the Benelux stadiums won't quite be able to match the stadiums in Iberia and England. Maybe Russia too.

Will that prove to be Benelux's undoing? Who knows....
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #125
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I have serious doubts about Venezuela and Colombia's ability to host a World Cup. They hosted Copa America, but I think that's about as big a tournament as either could hold. There's also the financial and political instability that both have had issues with. Committing to either 8-12 years in advance is a dangerous proposition.

I think Brazil, Argentina and Chile are really the only three capable of hosting.
I Think even with the controvertial Hugo Chavez on power, Venezuela could host it because doesnt have many conerns and have a lot of petrodolars. The stadiums from Copa America are new and very modern would be very good.

Colombia would have some problems with FARCs though
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #126
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycrap View Post
I'm a privat driver for a very influence person in the soccerworld. Can't say anymore ofcourse.
I don't give my opinion about the situation, I only tell you guy's what I know.
I smell bullshit.

If not from you, then from this fella that you drive around. Hooliganism hasn't been a problem in England for a long time. It's worse in many other countries. So I can't believe that anyone important in FIFA is stupid or ignorant enough to believe that hooliganism is still rife in England.

Besides, FIFA doesn't speak as one voice. There are, what, 23 delegates who vote? And each will have a different opinion about each of the bidding countries.

At most, what you heard (if you did, in fact, hear anything) would have been the opinion of one man. Nothing more.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #127
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjav View Post
Bit double here. England has a reputation and history for WC and EC hooliganism and trouble. The Netherlands might have Ajax vs Feyenoord, but if you look at WC or EC then you will notice their are never problems with hooliganism or violence. Dutch hooligans completely ignore WC and EC, which are family events.
The hooligans I know make a huge but seriously huge distinction between the two.
That said, the organization in the Netherlands will be superb, you can count on that. Money wise it will be attractive for FIFA as well.
Yes - the important word here being..........history.

History is something that happened in the past; something that is not current.

And moneywise, England will be even more attractive for FIFA. As will Iberia. Bigger stadiums. More ticket sales.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #128
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I Think even with the controvertial Hugo Chavez on power, Venezuela could host it because doesnt have many conerns and have a lot of petrodolars. The stadiums from Copa America are new and very modern would be very good.

Colombia would have some problems with FARCs though
Relying on petro dollars 8-12 years down the line is risky and can you guarantee a stable government that far down the line? I'm not saying that the money and stable government won't be there, but I'm not betting my multi-billion dollar even on it.

As for stadia, only five are capable of hosting a World Cup match capacity wise and all but one of them is on the low end of the capacity window with 40,000 or in the low 40,000's. There would have to be a minimum of five upgrades/new stadiums.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #129
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Also, depending on how Chavez progresses, some countries, like the US and it's closest allies may boycott it...
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #130
RobH

Likes (Received): 10348

I wouldn't worry Jim. If something in the past with little current relevence is the biggest thing our rivals can find to criticise about England 2018, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #131
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

If they really host someday chances are very slim that Chavez will still be in power. And I also don't think they would boycott it..
Football needs to grow a lot in the country before they can do it. I wonder what attendances the stadiums they built for the Copa America get in the league?

I also don't see Chile hosting it, at least not alone. The country has only some 16m inhabitants and nearly half of it live in or near Santiago.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #132
HendrX

Likes (Received): 29

I'm getting a bit nauseous here.

It's like you guys think that every time England makes a bid for a mayor event, they will get it because of their great stadiums,infratructure etc.... luckely it doesn;t work that way.
HendrX no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #133
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 1

Poxuy, do you, by any chance, work for the Russian government? Attempting to blame the US and foreign media for every problem is the sign of a government and a country unsure of itself. The North Korean, Zimbabwean and Iranian governments all do that. Blaming outside influences deflects attention from their own failings. Russian foreign policy has been noted in the wider world lately for its sabre-rattling. Many of its near neighbours are concerned that Russia wants its old bloc back. The Polish government was most disappointed that the US decided not to place a missile shield in it's country. Whether their fear is justified or not is irrelevant. The fact is, many people believe worry at Russia's intentions and Russia itself does nothing to aussage their concerns. There is also the assassination of exiled Russian dissidents in foreign countries such as Alexander Litvinenko. The man accused of killing him will never stand trial, Moscow made sure of that. Or perhaps you think I'm being unfair or a mouthpiece of the US and the evil foreign media and Russia really is the beacon of democracy and free speech that you make it out to be.

Moscow to Sochi = 844 miles (1,358Km) in a straight line (according to Google Earth). Sounds like a long way to me. It's certainly a lot further than the distance between venues in the other European bidders.

A340-500 - Football, and sport generally, shouldn't be political but it is because it costs so much money to stage big tournaments and brings in so much money in tourism. Politicians are needed to pass planning laws to get stadiums and infrastructure built. In addition, they are needed to sweet-talk the FIFA delegation into voting for their country (and greasing their palms if necessary). There is also the question of the World Cup sponsors who will apply pressure to get it in the country that is going to make them the most exposure or open up new markets for them. It is the same in all big sporting events. The best bid never wins; it is all political.
jandeczentar no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #134
RobH

Likes (Received): 10348

Quote:

It's like you guys think that every time England makes a bid for a mayor event, they will get it because of their great stadiums,infratructure etc.... luckely it doesn;t work that way.
None of us think we will get it for certain; we all know what happened to the 2006 bid. We just get annoyed when people throw unwarrented criticism towards us like grossly overexaggerating the hooliganism problem.

So, sorry if you feel nauseous but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by RobH; October 6th, 2009 at 05:24 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #135
JimB

Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong.

Let me remind you of your last post:

Quote:
**** England...............

2018 World CUP Belgium and the Netherlands period!

They will have the best bid! And that´s what its all about!
Very classy, huh?

Seems to me that it is YOU who is the arrogant one who is assuming that your country's bid will win.

By contrast, all I've done is to point out that:

a) hooliganism is no longer a problem in England and that it is therefore ridiculous for people from Benelux countries to claim that the issue will damage England's bid.

b) the Benelux stadiums WILL, on average, be considerably smaller than the stadiums in Iberia and England (and possibly Russia too?). There is no getting away from it. It is a fact. And that means that the Benelux bid will have to compensate by being far better in almost every other respect than the other European bids. Can they do it? Of course they can. But it won't be easy for them.

You want to believe that the English are arrogantly assuming that we will win the vote because you want us to conform to some sort of hateful stereotype that is lodged in your imagination. You are allowing prejudice against the English to have clouded your judgement.

The truth is that no one has made any arrogant claims about England winning the vote. Which is more than can be said for you and your claims about the Benelux bid.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #136
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

jandeczentar
Working on government? What a typical brainwashed crap? If you want to talk politics go in other branch of forum. First you are writing that Russia is threatining Europe to cut gas, which is simply a lie of misinformed person and result of propaganda. Even this alone showing that next dialogue with you is useless. I can give you all facts about every moment in your comment and prove how US is using this to blackmail Russia. But not here. Poor victim of black/white bs. "Democracy" is just a beautiful word to justify political interests. World is not divided by democracy/non-democracy. There is a group of bankers, which owning Federal Reserve and printing dollars (paper, which doesn't connect with anything) and their controlled organisations like IMF, WHO, NATO,... which is spreading their interests under huge media propaganda, and protecting their actions by "democracy". US is slowly waking up, information is opening, people are protesting and understand what's going on.
But if you don't have a clue about politics and want to write bullshit without any fact, it's only YOUR problem. Next offtop will be ignored.

Last edited by poxuy; October 6th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #137
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxuy View Post
jandeczentar
Working on government? What a typical brainwashed crap? If you want to talk politics go in other branch of forum. First you are writing that Russia is threatining Europe to cut gas, which is simply a lie of misinformed person and result of propaganda. I can give you all facts about every moment in your comment and prove how US is using this to blackmail Russia. But not here. Poor victim of black/white bs. Really, if you don't have a clue about politics and want to write bullshit without any fact, it's only YOUR problem. Next offtop will be ignored.
Poxuy - this may have been discussed earlier in the thread but I don't know where and can't be bothered to search...........what will be the capacity of each of Russia's bid stadiums?
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #138
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Poxuy - this may have been discussed earlier in the thread but I don't know where and can't be bothered to search...........what will be the capacity of each of Russia's bid stadiums?
9 October, a day before Russia-Germany match, is an official beginning date of Bidding company. I will write all that will be known.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #139
Adriel Ambrózio

Likes (Received): 16118

I go for Australia 2018!
Adriel Ambrózio no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #140
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

That's how it should work!

What the **** is it with this hooligan problem? I think pretty much every country in Europe has a bigger problem with hooligans than England. We don't have terraces, we don't have any 'ultras' groups and our stadiums are the safest around. All the haters are living in the past and denying it - it just gets more heavily publicised here whereas across Europe it is just shovelled under the carpet.

Provided our stadiums are developed/expanded as promised then we should definitely win this bid. Our bid would be unigue in many ways - not least in the stadia! The percentage of possible stadia in our bid that would be the boring bowl shape is actually fairly low (especially compared to other countries). The only reason for these joint bids in because each of the respective countries don't have the resources or the money to host the tournament on their own. They are therefore inferior!

As for Platini, he hates England so of course he's against it!
Luke80 no está en línea  

Closed Thread