daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What European bid should be selected as host?
England 217 35.06%
Portugal & Spain 119 19.22%
Belgium & Netherlands 85 13.73%
Russia 198 31.99%
Voters: 619. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #141
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Every one of those Indonesian stadiums is an athletics venue not a football venue. They all look the same and would provide a terrible experience for fans.

WCs should be given to countries who have football as their first sport more often than those where it is not seen as important. I think there needs to be an obvious improvement in some countries football system before the WC is given. What motivation is there for FIFA otherwise.
Luke80 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #142
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Yes Luke, but we've seen a technically inferior bid win the 2016 Olympics in the last week. There are a multitude of other factors to consider beside the technical ones which is why England is by no means a shoe-in and why we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #143
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Every one of those Indonesian stadiums is an athletics venue not a football venue. They all look the same and would provide a terrible experience for fans.

WCs should be given to countries who have football as their first sport more often than those where it is not seen as important. I think there needs to be an obvious improvement in some countries football system before the WC is given. What motivation is there for FIFA otherwise.
Football is the number 1 sport in indonesia (check out the indonesian threads for pictures). Having athletics stadiums is not an indicator, just look at Italy and how Germany used to be. It just means that local government tries to leech of the success of the game by forcing teams to play in substandard venues.

However I do agree that athletics stadiums should be banned from world cups and Indonesia shouldn't get it until they have a decent football team.

Last edited by bigbossman; October 6th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #144
bigbossman

I personally think Russia may come with the best bid, the geography is not bad (better than the states, australia and brazil) and it's somewhere different.

We've had "recent" Euros in both England and the Benelux.

As far as i am aware stadium capacity is irrelevant as long as you meet the criteria as FIFA makes it's money from TV and sponsorship.

It's a shame that the best 4 bids are European ones because we have this rotational policy. I would love it England, I'd love it the benelux, i'd love it in Russia (not so much portugal, spain solo yes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
As for Platini, he hates England so of course he's against it!
Stop it Luke
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #145
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
I Think even with the controvertial Hugo Chavez on power, Venezuela could host it because doesnt have many conerns and have a lot of petrodolars. The stadiums from Copa America are new and very modern would be very good.

Colombia would have some problems with FARCs though
I have no doubt these stadiums are modern. But FIFA has asked 11 stadiums with 40000 places and 1 stadium with 80000 places. I saw stadiums of Venezuela and none have 80000 places, only 6 stadiums have the required minimum of places.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/south_a...enezuela.shtml

Venezuela will have to work harder, even with oil revenues.

Colombia will also have lots of works to do to host a WC.

Argentina can host a WC, but they will have to upgrade some stadiums.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/south_a...colombia.shtml
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #146
ormey

Likes (Received): 11

from reading this thread a lot of jealousy from our european friends Holland and belguim imo dont have a chance russia is a interesting one though the moscow bid for the olmypics in 2012 downfall was down to the lack of infastructure. as Luke said plantini hates the uk so we will see .
ormey no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #147
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

I wish Russia would've filed a joint bid with the Ukraine so we could see matches played in Donbass.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #148
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3272

Spain and Portugal will win. They will have the support of Europe and importantly Latin America.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca está en línea ahora  
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #149
poxuy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I wish Russia would've filed a joint bid with the Ukraine so we could see matches played in Donbass.
hehe, if only a Donbass Arena, Donetzk is few kms from Rostov-na-Donu, but this will be already a joint bid, so I doubt.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #150
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
Spain and Portugal will win. They will have the support of Europe and importantly Latin America.
They'll have the support of Latin America, certainly. But Latin America only has a small minority of the votes. It won't be enough, on its own, to get the Iberian bid very far.

Whatever gains Iberia makes in Latin America may be lost in Asia and Africa.

As to Europe, I see no reason why Iberia would get a significantly higher proportion of the vote than any of the other European bids.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #151
ormey

england has the majority of europe on its side and i imagine oceania because i cant see australia getting anywhere in there bid
ormey no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #152
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormey View Post
england has the majority of europe on its side and i imagine oceania because i cant see australia getting anywhere in there bid
Just as I don't think that Iberia will win most of the European votes, I don't think that England will either.

Each of the European bids will most likely win similar levels of support from within Europe.

As to Australia, forget about them. England are not in direct competition with them. Australia are in competition with all the other non European countries for whichever of WC 2018 or 2022 isn't held in Europe - and they stand as good a chance as any. Besides, Australia is no longer, in footballing terms, an Oceania country. It joined the Asian Football Confederation a couple of years ago.

You're right, though, to hope that Oceania's votes will go to England. Historical and cultrural ties make it more likely.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #153
AGB93

Likes (Received): 0

England will win, no doubt about that...
AGB93 no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #154
ormey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Just as I don't think that Iberia will win most of the European votes, I don't think that England will either.

Each of the European bids will most likely win similar levels of support from within Europe.

As to Australia, forget about them. England are not in direct competition with them. Australia are in competition with all the other non European countries for whichever of WC 2018 or 2022 isn't held in Europe - and they stand as good a chance as any. Besides, Australia is no longer, in footballing terms, an Oceania country. It joined the Asian Football Confederation a couple of years ago.

You're right, though, to hope that Oceania's votes will go to England. Historical and cultrural ties make it more likely.
exactley if some of the country votes get knocked out england will get them thats why i think we will get the wc 2018
ormey no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #155
Joop20

Why do all Indonesian stadiums have athletics tracks? FIFA doesn't like them, and I think there's even a limit to the amount of stadiums that can have an atheltics track. Indonesia will have to build 6 to 8 rectangular, football specific stadiums for the world cup. I would love to see a world cup in Indonesia, but I really can't see them pulling it off before 2022. Maybe next time around guys, this one is for the USA or Oz...
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #156
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Honestly, why invest so much in a stadium and compromise the main draw (football) with running tracks that will rarely pack the stands?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #157
Luke80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Football is the number 1 sport in indonesia (check out the indonesian threads for pictures). Having athletics stadiums is not an indicator, just look at Italy and how Germany used to be. It just means that local government tries to leech of the success of the game by forcing teams to play in substandard venues.

However I do agree that athletics stadiums should be banned from world cups and Indonesia shouldn't get it until they have a decent football team.
Sorry my 2nd point was not related to my first. Pretty obvious that Indonesia's first sport is football. My complaint was regarding the stadia. I agree with you.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #158
Vicman
La capital rielera

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia. 50% of Conmebol Members.

Equador and Uruguay would probably able if it is a join bid with other major country.

What?????? jaja (LOL), let's see. Man!!!, you're brazilian right yeah of course, look, I don't know exactly why you're talking that Europe and South America deserve a WC each 12 or 16 years (i don't remember ur comment), if u say it because of football level there, you're a little wrong, Europe ok, I agree, but South America, come on man, teams from the North are better than some of southamerican, african and asian countries.

If you talk about the number of countries...Asia has more than another continent, then Africa and Europe.

Now, talking about economy...Colombiaaaaa??, Colombia wasn't able in order to host the WC in 86, Mexico was the solution, I think the really able countries now in South America are Brazil, Chile and Argentina and I got my doubts about them, maybe Venezuela but no. In North America obviously, United States, Mexico and Canada, (by the way, I don't know what's the true reason cuz of Mexico decline the host of WC), is complicated that Central America or Caribbean can host a WC.

I vote for United States!!

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #159
Vicman
La capital rielera

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
I feel the same way about it. But I think Qatar could bid as a join bid with other Arab Small Countries like UAE, Bahrein, Kwait, Oman and maybe even Saudi Arabia. Host Cities would be:

UAE: Dubai and Abu Dhabi
Oman: Mascat
Qatar: Doha
Bahrein: Manama
Kuwait: Kuwait
Saudi Arabia: Riyad, Jiddah
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Is the same as:

Guatemala: Guatemala City
Honduras: Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula
El Salvador: San Salvador
Costa Rica: San Jose
Trinidad & Tobago: Port Spain
Jamaica: Kingston

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #160
Rekarte

Likes (Received): 27591

Quote:
Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia. 50% of Conmebol Members.

Equador and Uruguay would probably able if it is a join bid with other major country.

I think Colombia, Argentina and Venezuela, and perhaps Peru, in the future would be able to host a World Cup

Closed Thread