daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects For completed tall buildings in and around Birmingham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #1
SuttonBaggie

Likes (Received): 16

Birmingham City Council | Woodcock Street | Aston Science Park | Comp.

Woodcock Street work begins

27 August 2009

News that work is set to begin this week on Birmingham City Council's new office building at Woodcock Street in Aston is a huge boost to the jobs market and the environment – as well as saving taxpayers' money in the process.

The new office is a key element of the authority's plans to deliver over £200m of gross savings by streamlining its office portfolio through the Working for the Future Business Transformation programme.

When complete, the new office building will be a base for over 2,000 staff, replacing more expensive leased buildings in the city centre. It will also set the standard for new ways of working for its employees with the aim of delivering first-class services to the citizens of Birmingham.

Planning permission was secured in February 2009 and since then the proposals have been closely examined to ensure that best value for money is being achieved. The project shows the council's commitment to the regeneration agenda and will create and secure up to 3,000 jobs locally.

This building project will also see the Council delivering on its promise to reduce CO2 emissions. The building has been designed with the aim of achieving an "excellent" BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) rating.

This means the building will contain a number of innovative low carbon technologies including solar hot water heating, passive ventilation, rainwater harvesting and the use of 'living' brown roofs to create a habitat for urban wildlife.

Additionally, the building will be connected to the Aston University district combined heat and power (CHP) network giving further substantial reductions in CO2 emissions.

Thomas Vale were appointed as contractor for the works early in the design and planning stage through the Birmingham Construction Partnership, working closely with, Birmingham Property Services – identifying and adding considerable value for money benefits to the project. The building is due to be completed in August 2011.

Cllr Neville Summerfield, Birmingham City Council's Cabinet Member for Regeneration, said: "The plans for the new offices at Woodcock Street are now on the way to becoming reality.

"It is crucial that we ensure that taxpayer money is spent as effectively as possible, and the plans that have been drawn up as part of this Business Transformation project are supported by a compelling business case.

"When complete, the council will have an office block that is fit for the 21st century that will enable employees to work in a flexible way that is for the ultimate benefit of citizens through better service delivery."

Tony Hyde, Managing Director of Thomas Vale Construction, added: "As a local company Thomas Vale are extremely proud to be undertaking this amazing transformation for Woodcock Street on behalf of Birmingham City Council and the Birmingham Construction Partnership.

"We will be working closely with all local stakeholders in order to realise the potential of what a project such as this can bring to the local regeneration of an area."

Through their use of cutting edge IT facilities, provided by Service Birmingham, the plans will also form a key part of the strategy to develop a Digital District in and around the Eastside area of the city. The Digital District initiative was announced in June during the Digital Britain regional launch event in Birmingham.

The vision behind the Digital District is to create an area in which businesses and other hi-tech enterprises can flourish, driving forward the wider plans for inner-city regeneration, which itself is underpinned by the ambitious Big City Plan.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sate...endermode=live

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: To add the number of floors in the title.
SuttonBaggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:25 AM   #2
SuttonBaggie

I noticed there is a pile driver at work today! It is the site between Woodcock Street and Holte street near the pub which used to be called the Pot of Beer (Now the Gosta Green Pub!) Showing my age again!

The link below takes you to a pdf spec sheet on Associated Architects web site:
http://www.associated-architects.co....cockstreet.pdf

There are alos some pictures on the web site as well as the above spec sheet under the projects page titled Woodcock Street.
http://www.associated-architects.co....ex_content.htm

Associated Architects are also behind the proposed office on Waterloo Street and also created designs for 45 Colmore Row (The Grand Hotel) before it received a Grade II* listing which has now blown away the redevelopment of this site.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM   #3
SuttonBaggie

Birmingham City Council approves 196,000sq ft office

13:56 | 05.02.09

By Georgie Hobbs

Birmingham City Council has granted approval for the development of a new 196,000sq ft office building at Woodcock Street in Aston.

The development will form part of the authority’s ‘business transformation programme’, Working for the Future (WFTF).

Once complete the programme will leave the authority with a stock of Green efficient buildings saving a projected £100m over 25 years.

The six-storey building will house 2,200 workstations in an open plan layout and will be BREEAM-accredited. A 60-seat auditorium, meeting facilities and a connection to a Combined Heat and Power plant are all also proposed.

Glyn Evans, Birmingham City Council’s corporate director of business change, said: ‘It is crucial that we develop new ergonomic and energy efficient office accommodation as we need to ensure that we continue to develop and improve services to citizens as we have done in recent years.

‘A major project like that at Woodcock Street will play a key role in this – while at the same time providing a boost to the local construction industry during tough economic times.’
It is anticipated the new building will be ready for occupation in spring 2011.

Read more: http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3133329#ixzz0Sj3XGbFw

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM   #4
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 176

There has been work going on for about a month, they are really going for it now, the amount of dirt that has piled up to the side to the Gosta green pub is amazing, will have to get some photos.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
SuttonBaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
There has been work going on for about a month, they are really going for it now, the amount of dirt that has piled up to the side to the Gosta green pub is amazing, will have to get some photos.
I've just realised the other pub which used to be on this site facing out onto Heneage Street West has been demolished. You can still see the perimeter wall on Google Earth but the building has gone.

I drove along Woodcock Street yesterday and it is quite a drop down into this site.

Last edited by SuttonBaggie; October 2nd, 2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #6
SuttonBaggie

Once completed, the councill will have a portfolio of green, modern and efficient offices saving them £100million over £25 years. Wonder if we'll get a small cut in our council tax.

I believe this office is being built on the final available plot on Aston Science Park. Although I noticed through the summer they cleared a building on the corner of Lister Street / Dartmouth Middleway ready for redevelopment. Not sure whether this small corner comes under the Science Park.

After that companies looking to locate in a similar business park will need to look to Eastside Locks or Curzon Park.
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #7
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

Or, they could move into the masses of empty office space in Aston Science Park...
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 535

This should actually begin soon as there have been stopping-up notices for some of the surrounding roads.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 2351

Just a couple of pics of the site which is HUUUUGE!!

Old October 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #10
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 589

any construction is good construction!
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #11
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Should see a couple of tower cranes here. This must be Thomas Vale's biggest ever job.
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

Do we have any idea what this is going to look like?
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #13
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 184

I recall terracotta tiles/red brick + grey windows. Nothing remotely interesting.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

O what a let down as usual!
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I think i_l_c is being funny. Quite an interesting block by associated architects, and on this forum somewhere.
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

I can't find the thread anywhere but I remember a mixture of white cladding with wooden or terracotta panelling. There was a bits of yellow by the windows too... Errrrm, there appeared to be three 'wings' sticking out the back of the building too. About 6 storeys tall. Big. Lotta glass.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I'd like to see some updating drawings/renders.
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #18
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 228

a million times better than the AWM building next door which looked dated before it was even built
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #19
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1266

one side looks good the other looks shit, im hoping that because it is behind another building or a wall!!!! All the departments in alpha will be moving there once it is finished so expect something to happen to our listed almost skyscraper

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:07 AM   #20
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

Locally listed. Slight difference in that locally listed buildings can be demolished with much ease whilst listed ones require a few more channels.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: