daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the new UEFA Elite Stadium rating system?
Yes 24 48.00%
No 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #81
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
)

Capacity is less of an issue in the UEFA Cup/Europa League Final because the teams that contest it tend to be less well supported. Espanyol played Sevilla in the final at Hampden Park a couple of years ago and it was barely two-thirds full.
That's not true, I remember there was a plane strike or something that happened around glasgow airport causing "a lot" of people to not be able to make it. But as i remember it it was near enough a full house, and the official crowd was 52,000.

does that look two thirds full to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r716n2ZVDPA

Quote:
UEFA like running tracks because it makes it more difficult to throw objects on to, or invade, the pitch (in their opinion).
says who?

See Roma match where Anders frisk was hit in the centre of the pitch from the stands.

Quote:
The Emirates Stadium is probably not on the elite list because Arsenal have not asked for it to be. Just because a stadium meets all the criteria doesn't necessarily mean that it is automatically put on. Plus, there is a chance that Arsenal might get to the final and UEFA like the final to be on neutral territory (although there are examples of teams playing major finals "at home" so they don't always get it how they want).
Well the emirates bid to stage the europa league final that (i think) dublin won, so it's clear that Arsenal "have" asked. I just think UEFA can see that teh emirates is overrated.
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #82
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post

The new Criteria are:
Stadia must be all-seated and have a minimum capacity of 30,000
The playing surface dimensions must be 105 metres in length and 68 metres in width
The playing surface must either be natural turf or FIFA-licensed artificial turf
The substitute benches must seat at least 13 people
The dressing rooms must seat at least 25 people
There should also be a separate 'Delegate's Room', 'Doping Station' and 'First Aid Room'
Stadiums must have CCTV both inside and outside and a 'Security Control Room'
Must provide seating for at least 1500 VIPs and 200 journalists
The floodlights must light the pitch to an illuminance of at least 1400 lux
There must be at least three TV studios within the Stadium.
Is that it?

I would add something along the lines of

- sufficient media work space inside the venue for major UEFA events OR sufficient space outside the venue to construct temporary media work areas/press conference rooms
- covered players tunnel
- sufficient protection by roof over grandstand, covering upper media seats and VIP areas
- sufficient spectator concessions with options for additional concessions for larger events
-sufficient seats for those using wheelchairs
- full access for those using wheelchairs, including ramps/lifts where necessary
- sufficient office space/work areas for UEFA during large events
- separate/exclusive players/VIP entrance
- separate/exclusive media entrances
- reserved VIP parking bays just outside the VIP entrance
- reserved players bus parking bays just outside the players entrance
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #83
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Sorry about calling the new ranking system stupid. The only stadiums that can be considered UEFA Elite Stadiums are those with a capacity of 50,000 or more (Category 5). The stadiums that have a capacity between 30-50,000 can be UEFA Category 4 stadiums. Stadiums smaller than 30,000 can be used as category 3, 2, or 1.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #84
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Sorry about calling the new ranking system stupid. The only stadiums that can be considered UEFA Elite Stadiums are those with a capacity of 50,000 or more (Category 5). The stadiums that have a capacity between 30-50,000 can be UEFA Category 4 stadiums. Stadiums smaller than 30,000 can be used as category 3, 2, or 1.
Capicity is an important factor isnīt it? Donīt realy have an opinion about the rating system, because I donīt know it, but waying capicity big seemes to make sence.
skaP187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:38 AM   #85
LiamG

Likes (Received): 2

Uefa Stadium Categories

Just looking on the Wicki of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

It says Category 2 Minimum 3,000 Spectator capacity, does anyone know if this is 3,000 seats or just overall? Because there must be a minimum seating capacity i imagine?
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:31 PM   #86
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
Just looking on the Wicki of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

It says Category 2 Minimum 3,000 Spectator capacity, does anyone know if this is 3,000 seats or just overall? Because there must be a minimum seating capacity i imagine?
You probably just didn't read that link you posted thoroughly enough.
There's a list there of all the requirements, where it shows all the necessary minimum seated capacity and also if spectator standing is allowed or not.

And at the bottom it also has references of all the necessary regulations, too.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #87
Jim856796

I think the current categories aren't worth spit and are totally meaningless.

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #88
Alemanniafan

Quote:
I think the current categories aren't worth spit and are totally meaningless.
Indeed, very much just as useless as the previous categories.
But at least the new ones seem to be focused on just setting minimum standards for small and lower league stadia.
The UEFA dies seem to be interested in opening up the top categories to modern small and medium sized stadia, which even does make some sense to me. After all, stadium quality is hardly just question of size.
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #89
Jim856796

Bulls***. The newest categories suck, though, and every stadium in Europe with a 30k capacity or above is still considered an elite stadium, regardless of what the categories state.

Old July 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #90
Alemanniafan

Quote:
Bulls***. The newest categories suck, though, and every stadium in Europe with a 30k capacity or above is still considered an elite stadium, regardless of what the categories state.
Well why should one not be able to have small elite stadia, if they're fancy enough and provide all the necessary comfort and infrastructure?
It doesn't mean they'll get to host Championsleague finals anytime soon.
At least the advantages of the new categories are, that smaller countries and stadia end up looking really good because they're in the top category.
And which brand new 30k stadium doesn't offer comparable standards and infrastructure to the really large ones. Several modern 30k stadia even have better players-, Vip- and Pressfacilities than some older giants do.

If you just look at the new or modernized 30k stadia in Germany for example, like the ones in Hoffenheim, Dresden, Augsburg, Mainz, Leverkusen and Aachen they provide just about everything the Allianz Arena provides, too on a top Quality level. The main difference in comparison to the Allianz Arena is basically just the size and that's hardly necessary to judge in a category because capacity is the easiest and first considered main evaluation criteria for selecting a host stadium anyways, along with the location.

To me the old categories were basically just as useless as the new ones.
The UEFA never ever really managed to find a well balanced evaluation catalogue in my humble opinion. Not that I could do it any better, or that it's something easy to achieve. But the UEFA categories never really seemed all to carefully thought up to me.

The old as well as the new categories are both far to focused on wants and needs of the players, the personell, the press and the VIPs instead of the normal visitors experience.
And what other main function besides providing a good spectator experience could and should a stadium have?

So why don't they ever evaluate the provided capacity of restrooms and kiosks or the provided area of the stadium concourse in relation to the overal capacity or the stadiums acessibility via car and public transportation at all for example? Are all those criteria of no interest at all to the UEFA?

It obviously seems like they aren't.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #91
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2208

Quote:
i prefer a 30k very modern and comfortable stadium than a 60k old and uncomfortable!

Those criteria are good! it's just they are stupid to have leaked it during the construction of certain projects like emirates that don't meet those criteria
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #92
Roltel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
LOL Jim, never mind the quality. As long as it's BIG!
Roltel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #93
GYEvanEFR

Likes (Received): 13

Honestly, none from UEFA stadium regulation that I understand for the classification (although it's good for support FIFA to get IDEAL WORLD CUP STADIUM(s)).
Surely, who enjoys watching football (US-EN: Soccer) beyond fence that looks like THE PRISON???
Just a sample, in my country, they watching football without fence (although their ****ness like Brazilian), it's okay. there's no problem (almost).
so...??? (guess by yourself)
GYEvanEFR no está en línea   Reply With Quote