daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

My Cleveland, Ohio Pics

On a Monday afternoon I had to go to Cleveland to pick up my cap and gown for graduation. These are the pictures I took while there. Enjoy!

Der bischöflich Dom

Last edited by Chadoh25; April 25th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Chadoh25

Soilders and Sailors Monument on Public Square.

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Chadoh25

Probate Court

Probate Court and Browns Stadium

Cleveland Auditorium

Cleveland School Board Building and Lincoln statue

Cleveland City Hall in the background

Rear of Cleveland City Schoolboard Building

Cleveland City Hall

Brown's Stadium^

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Chadoh25

Jacobs Field
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #5
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 6001

nice photos !
El Mariachi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #6
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

Nice thread, I never thought Claveland had such a nice downtown.
JPBrazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

It does look like an interesting place. I guess its the 'Manchester' of the USA...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #8
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Cleveland breaks my heart. It is so handsome architecturally but sadly where are all the people? Why is it such a ghost town? It deserves better. Why do the people that live there in there split levels, ranches and whatever home they have stay away from the downtown? Even the bridge and tunnel crowd of NYC and Philadelphia and the suburbanites of Chicago venture into the city at least on a regular basis. What is up with Cleveland?

Cleveland makes Pittsburgh look like a vibrant metropolis. Well maybe it really is one nowadays. I am starting to think that Chicago is the only Midwestern city with with streetlife. Please somebody, somewhere prove me wrong.

Last edited by philadweller; October 7th, 2009 at 05:45 AM.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Farrapo

Likes (Received): 882

I can't believe these pictures were taken on a Monday afternoon... I have the same doubt of philadweller: where are the people?

Cleveland has a really nice architecture but it looks like a ghost city... It's sad 'cause the city is beautiful and it could be even more interesting if it has a more vibrant streetlife...

Anyways... Thanks for sharing, the pictures are really good!
Farrapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrapo View Post
I can't believe these pictures were taken on a Monday afternoon... I have the same doubt of philadweller: where are the people?

Cleveland has a really nice architecture but it looks like a ghost city... It's sad 'cause the city is beautiful and it could be even more interesting if it has a more vibrant streetlife...

Anyways... Thanks for sharing, the pictures are really good!
So are you suggesting that I'm lying? The people you are referring to are in same place they are EVERY afternoon before the rush; their offices. The only time it's busy is in the morning, around lunch, and around rush hour. 9th Street is alittle more lively. We arrived between lunch and rush hour, around 2:45-3:00 p.m. Trust me, I know. I lived in Downtown most of the three years I lived there as well as worked downtown in Senator Brown's office for my internship. You should see this place on a Sunday! LOL Besides the Flats, which I didn't get to, Downtown Cleveland is pretty slow.

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 7th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #11
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Cleveland breaks my heart. It is so handsome architecturally but sadly where are all the people? Why is it such a ghost town? It deserves better. Why do the people that live there in there split levels, ranches and whatever home they have stay away from the downtown? Even the bridge and tunnel crowd of NYC and Philadelphia and the suburbanites of Chicago venture into the city at least on a regular basis. What is up with Cleveland?

Cleveland makes Pittsburgh look like a vibrant metropolis. Well maybe it really is one nowadays. I am starting to think that Chicago is the only Midwestern city with with streetlife. Please somebody, somewhere prove me wrong.
In Northeast Ohio, most suburbanites just work there and then go home at 5:00 p.m. I mean sure, you can hit Tower City for some light shopping, or the Warehouse District and 4th Street for a drink or dinner. And yes there are musuems and theatres, but beyond that, there isn't awhole lot there.

Cleveland has less than 500,000 (433,748 to be exact) people as of 2008. It's nothing like Chicago, but if it were, I might have stayed after graduation! LOL

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 7th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Chadoh25

Cleveland State University

My alma mater

Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs (I spent most of my class time here)

New Student Union

Fenn Tower Student Dorm

New Student Union

And yes, I know it looks dead, but you can thank the innerlink "interior walk way", which allows you to go from the urban building to the science building without ever stepping foot outside. It's a GOD SEND in the winter!

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 7th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Chadoh25

May 16th, Graduation and dinner in Little Italy.

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Camilo_Costa
I♥CWB

Likes (Received): 7622

Beautiful, nice architeture... but it looks pretty much the same as many other American cities.
Camilo_Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #15
geoff189d

Likes (Received): 37

Thanks for all those lovely photos of a very handsome city. A pity it seems so dead although I believe it has a vibrant theatre district.
geoff189d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff189d View Post
Thanks for all those lovely photos of a very handsome city. A pity it seems so dead although I believe it has a vibrant theatre district.
Yeah, Playhouse Square is nice! I saw the Nutcracker at the Allen Theatre once, back in 2005 or 2006!
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #17
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244485

And the city of Clevelant its also very nice; thanks for those photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Farrapo

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
So are you suggesting that I'm lying? The people you are referring to are in same place they are EVERY afternoon before the rush; their offices. The only time it's busy is in the morning, around lunch, and around rush hour. 9th Street is alittle more lively. We arrived between lunch and rush hour, around 2:45-3:00 p.m. Trust me, I know. I lived in Downtown most of the three years I lived there as well as worked downtown in Senator Brown's office for my internship. You should see this place on a Sunday! LOL Besides the Flats, which I didn't get to, Downtown Cleveland is pretty slow.
I'm not suggesting anything... I'm just telling that I can't believe the pictures were taken on a Monday afternoon, 'cause the city looks really empty (and it's not a small city, it has around 500.000 people).

I'm from a city which has a population around 300.000 people and its downtown looks much more vibrant than Cleveland's. I know it's a different situation, in Brazil we don't have this "concept" of suburbs and stuff, but still I think it's weird when I see a city like Cleveland with a few people walking on the streets (even if most of those who were walking during the rush hour are inside an office).

Farrapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #19
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrapo View Post
I'm not suggesting anything... I'm just telling that I can't believe the pictures were taken on a Monday afternoon, 'cause the city looks really empty (and it's not a small city, it has around 500.000 people).

I'm from a city which has a population around 300.000 people and its downtown looks much more vibrant than Cleveland's. I know it's a different situation, in Brazil we don't have this "concept" of suburbs and stuff, but still I think it's weird when I see a city like Cleveland with a few people walking on the streets (even if most of those who were walking during the rush hour are inside an office).

Yes, I know, it's very sad. Downtown Cleveland is a shell of it's former self. Alot of the building in my photos are either empty or only half occupied. Downtown has a fairly large residential population, but alot of that is centered around the Warehouse District (Not shown), not Euclid Avenue. And as I stated before, most people just work there and then hightail it to Bay Village, Parma, and Shaker Heights after 5:00. But I will say this, I ADORE the Rapid. When I lived in Lakewood, it was so nice to park my car at the 117th Street Station and take the train to Tower City and a bus up Euclid to my classes! I wish we had that in Columbus!
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #20
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Been to Cleveland before but it had been awhile. It has a great set of downtown buildings for sure.