daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #21
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Been to Cleveland before but it had been awhile. It has a great set of downtown buildings for sure.
Yea, true! I really like Terminal Tower!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #22
Chadoh25

These are not from May 2009, but from October 22nd. I stopped at CSU on my way home from Toronto and decided to get some new photos of Downtown.

Start off at Playhouse Square.

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 26th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #23
Chadoh25

These two building have looked like this for atleast a year now!

Looking North and East 9th Street.

Intersection of East 9th Street and Euclid Avenue.

East 9th Street again.

Back to Euclid

Inside the Colonial Arcade.

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 26th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #24
Chadoh25

Prospect Avenue

Looking down East 9th Street

Back to Prospect Avenue.

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 26th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #25
Chadoh25

East 9th Street

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 26th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #26
Chadoh25

Back up Euclid

East 14th Street

Euclid Avenue

And finally CSU. I spent much of my time in the building below.

Goodbye from Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 26th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #27
Chadoh25

April 24th 2010. Part One.

Sorry about the quality but unfortunately the weather was not very nice that day.

We begin at East Sixth Street.

The Library is on the left and the School Board building and BP Tower are on the right.

The Hyatt on Superior Avenue.

Looking East on Superior Avenue.

East Sixth Street

Federal Reserve Babk on the corner of Superior Avenue and Sixth Street.

Head up Sixth.

Quick look down Vincent Avenue

Sixth Street again.

On Euclid Avenue. This building is the former William Taylor & Son, Co. Department Store, now The Residences at 668 This is what it looks like now.

And this is what it looked like over a year a go.

Looking up Euclid towards East Ninth Street

The Prospect Avenue side of The Residences at 668.

Residence Inn on Propect Avenue

Looking down Prospect Avenue

Fourth Street area. Lots of bars and places to eat here. There is even a Bowling Alley here!

Prospect Avenue

Fouth Street

On the right, we have the Propect side of the old May Company Department Store. I'd really like to see it restored!

More to come.......
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #28
Chadoh25

April 24th 2010. Part Two.

Heading towards Ontario Street and Tower City

Loking up Euclid.

The old Higbee's Department Store. It was featured in the movie "A Christmas Story" As a matter of fact, Ralphies house is also no to far from here. The Department Store is no longer there but the house, which is in Tremont is now a Museum. It is located on West 11th Street. Here is the website. http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Terminal Tower

On the left, the Public Square facade of the May Company Department Store. On the right, The Park building.

The base of the Soldiers and Sailors monument

Superior Avenue, front to back; Howard M Metzenbaum United States Courthouse, Cleveland Public Library, and Federal Reserve Bank

Superior Avenue.

Terminal Tower

Society for Saving building and the Key Tower on the right.

Left to Right; 55 Building, ?, and Old Stone Church.

Ontario Street

Next stop, the Warehouse District.....

Last edited by Chadoh25; May 4th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #29
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I love Cleveland. It's got all da flava.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #30
ZachariahDaMan

Likes (Received): 12

Good stuff as always, Chad. I am in love with the Terminal Tower.
ZachariahDaMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #31
Kensingtonian

Likes (Received): 38

Those deserted streets have an eerie feeling - like there's been a zombie apocalypse or something. I kind of like it.
Kensingtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #32
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244380

Very nice updates of Cleveland, Chad
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #33
Chadoh25

April 24th 2010. Part Three.

@ Desertpunk, Thanks for stopping by!

@ ZachariahDaMan, Glad you liked the set!

@ Kensingtonian, Welcome to Cleveland! LOL Actually, it often has that look on the weekends, although not usually this bad. If the weather had been nicer you would have seen alot more people. To be honest, Downtown seems to have improved alot since I left a year and a half ago!

@ Thanks Christos!

The Warehouse District in Downtown.

The Warehouse District is a nationally recognized historic district located in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. It is roughly bounded by Front Avenue, Superior Avenue, West 3rd Street, and West 10th Street.

On September 30, 1982, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Cleveland Warehouse District. On February 21, 2007, its boundary was increased to include 1384 to1410 West 10th Street.

In the first half of the 19th century, this neighborhood was part of Cleveland’s original residential area. Later in the century, it became the center of Cleveland's wholesale commercial area, and was occupied by warehousing and distribution terminals for more than 100 years. But after warehouse traffic moved elsewhere, it fell into serious disrepair with empty, run-down warehouses.

After the late 1980s, the Warehouse District became a hot night spot for twenty-somethings and urban professionals, following a pattern pioneered in Cleveland by the Flats entertainment district, which it ultimately supplanted as the city’s premier weekend place-to-be.

The metamorphosis to the Warehouse District’s current state began with the opening of Hilarities Comedy Club in the late 1980s (Hilarities has since moved to E. 4th Street). The transformation of the district initially sought to attract artists in live-work spaces, but rent and popularity became too high, and drove artists to nearby Cleveland neighborhoods of Tremont or the St. Clair Superior.

Artists Steven B. Smith and S. Judson Wilcox were two early "urban pioneers": artists who settled the Warehouse District in Cleveland in 1981. Artists, musicians and renegades moved there to revel in Cleveland's industrial beauty.

Smith's spot in the warehouse became a gathering spot for other artists in the building, including S. Judson Wilcox, Melissa Jay Craig (AKA "Field Marshal May Midwest"), Laszlo Gyorki, Ken Nevadomi, Randy Rigutto, Jay Clements, Beth Wolfe and others. Guests were offered keepsakes of miniature toy soldiers, babies in plastic bubbles or poetry.

Spaces Gallery was located on the first floor, making the warehouse the de facto epicenter of creative activity.

The affordability of Cleveland neighborhoods periodically caused mass migrations of artists. In the 80s, Smith was one of the urban pioneers to move into the Warehouse District. In '85, he was one of many artists who moved from the warehouses to Tremont, in the typical pattern where artists move into undesirable but inexpensive neighborhoods, fixing up old buildings in which to live and work.

Although more than half of the original eight-block area has been razed and replaced by parking lots, by 2000 the remaining restored buildings were home to many restaurants and clubs. West Sixth Street is known as the heart of the district and on this street can be found live music at the Blind Pig, the Velvet Dog's rooftop patio bar, and the restaurant and bar Panini's. The Metropolitan Cafe, Blue Pointe Grill, and Johnny’s Downtown serve food on W. 6th as well, while the Cabaret Dada theater has provided improvisational comedy for over a decade.

The neighborhood has seen many of the rehabilitated warehouses converted to office and residential space. The ornate Victorian age facades of these historic warehouses are often preserved and restored, while the interiors of the buildings experience complete transformation into contemporary and trendy spaces. Its apartments and condominiums are responsible for a large portion of downtown Cleveland's recent population growth. Most of the remaining structures have been rehabilitated, and developers have started to plan and build infill construction projects.

It was announced at the end of 2005 that local developer Robert L. Stark, of Stark Enterprises, is planning a $1,000,000,000+ redevelopment of what are currently surface parking lots in the Warehouse District, adding retail, office, housing, and structured parking in a series of buildings from the lakefront to Public Square. Phase 1 is beginning in the blocks bound by W.6th, W.3rd, Superior, and St. Clair. Stark Enterprises would like to complete Phase 1 by 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warehou...ict,_Cleveland

Walking down West St. Clair Avenue.

Intersection of St. Clair Avenue and West Sixth Street.

Looking down West Sixth Street.

St. Clair Avenue.

West Sixth Street

West Sixth Street. The tall dark building on the left is the Rockefeller

Intersection of St. Clair Avenue and West Sixth Street.

St. Clair Avenue.

Apartmends and Condos on West Ninth Street

Walking up and down West Ninth Street

Looking towards the flats.

This is my biggest issue with the Warehouse District. You'll have a block of beautiful old warehouses and then between it and the next is a block of nothing but surface parking lots. Before the economic shitshorm we now find ourselves in, there were plans to turn these lots into mixed use developments. I'm not sure if thats still gonna happen or not. I don't keep up to date on things in Cleveland much these days now that I'm back home in Columbus.

The tall white building is the Federal Courthouse

More to come later.....

Last edited by Chadoh25; May 4th, 2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #34
Chadoh25

April 24th 2010. Part Four

Warehouse District in Downtown.

Still on West Ninth Street

Looking down Lakeside Avenue.

Walking up Lakeside Avenue.

Walking up West Sixth

Looking down Lakeside Avenue towards the Shoreway. I use to take this road 5 days a week to get to and from class. At the time, I lived in Lakewood.

Well, that's all from Lakeside Avenue and the Warehouse District. Again, I'm sorry about the quality! Hopefully I can get up there again when the weather is nice!

A few from East Ninth Street

The church in the middle is the Catholic Cathedral of St. John.

The building with the glass roof is the Galleria at Erieview, which is the building that is hardly visible on the right. I did my internship there at Sen. Brown's office.

Next stop, Cleveland State University.

Last edited by Chadoh25; May 4th, 2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #35
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 56026

Love those old warehouses!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #36
Chadoh25

@ Yellow Fever

University Circle Randomness

Pentecostal Church on East 105th Street

New University Hospital building.

Last edited by Chadoh25; May 15th, 2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #37
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Thanks for the pictures. I want to visit it. I don't mind empty streets, I'm too tired of hordes of people on the streets bumping into you constantly and walking slow.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #38
KidGibNick

Likes (Received): 4

Cleveland will always have a soft spot in my heart. It may be a bit slow, but there are some great neighbourhoods with mature treed lined blvds/streets with gorgeous architecture -- which is a lot more than you can say for many American cities. It reminds me a bit of Milwaukee, which i'm also fond of.

Cleveland actually has a great Little Italy...it's east of the downtown and University just west of Cleveland Heights -- check out Mama Santa's on 12305 Mayfield Road - best Italian restaurant ever...so authentic!

Also, Jacob's Field is a great place to watch a ball game!
KidGibNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #39
KidGibNick

Likes (Received): 4

...and for as economically downtrodden as it apparently is, it always looks exceptionally clean and trash free, unlike other comparable cities like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati (which I am also fond of, minus Buffalo).
KidGibNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #40
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGibNick View Post
Cleveland will always have a soft spot in my heart. It may be a bit slow, but there are some great neighbourhoods with mature treed lined blvds/streets with gorgeous architecture -- which is a lot more than you can say for many American cities. It reminds me a bit of Milwaukee, which i'm also fond of.

Cleveland actually has a great Little Italy...it's east of the downtown and University just west of Cleveland Heights -- check out Mama Santa's on 12305 Mayfield Road - best Italian restaurant ever...so authentic!

Also, Jacob's Field is a great place to watch a ball game!
Yeah, I got some photos of Little Italy on the first page. When I lived in Cleveland, I use to eat at Mama Santa's all the time. Great food! Also, unfortunately, the've changed Jacob's Field to "Progressive Field" and the Gund Arena to "Quicken Loans" Arena. I think I like the old names better!

As far as Downtown goes, yeah, it's pretty clean. Unfortunately there is still alot of work that needs to be down on Euclid between East 9th Street and Playhouse Square. Alot of Empty store fronts there. Also, it gets pretty bad between East 55th Street and the Cleveland Clinic Hospital. Cedar, Carnegie & Central Avenues are pretty rough areas all the way around. That being said, I'll visit Cleveland, especially to see old school friends, but I'm not sure I'd ever live there again.