daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #321
SirAce
Utente. E basta

Likes (Received): 4640

For Svartmetall, if you "liked" Roma Nord rolling stocks, then you are gonna love this one!

It's a 82 years old STANGA (1932) but still alive and kicking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j98n...ature=youtu.be

Svartmetall liked this post
SirAce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #322
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

That's really quite cool! There aren't too many countries/cities around the world that have such old stock still running in regular service. Thanks for the picture.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #323
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

A very blurry shot of Barberini station. Was very hard to get pictures of these stations due to poor lighting.

Another shot of rolling stock sitting at Flamino station on the Roma Nord line.

Flamino Station again.

One of the modern trams coming! This was taken outside Rome Zoo (very, very nice zoo by the way).

One coming, one going.

Lepanto Station Concourse (Line A).

More to come.

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 11th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #324
narkelion
Brentered

Likes (Received): 16488

Two errors.

Those aren't the modern trams. Or, actually, not the newer ones. They're called "Serie 9000", and have been built by SOCIMI in 1990: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram_ATAC_serie_9000

The newest trams are the Fiat Ferroviaria/Alstom CityWays (Serie I and II):

Roma - Tram Articolato "Cityway I" FIAT by Guidotoni58, on Flickr

Rome - Via Arenula - 01-09-2014 by agcthoms, on Flickr

And that metro stations is definately not Policlinico. I can't really tell, but it should be Lepanto or Ottaviano, on the A line.

This one is Policlinico:
Metro B - Policlinico by Air Force One, on Flickr
Urban Area: 100611
Metropolitan Area: 175818

2nd in Marche / 44th in Italy / n-th in European Union per popolazione
1st in Marche / 18th in Italy per qualitā della vita

Minato ku, kyah117 liked this post
narkelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #325
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

I guess this is what happens when you try to go back after two months and remember where you went. Sorry I will correct it. Hmm... It appears to be a Line A station - god knows how I even got there as I took number 19 tram from the zoo... AHA! It might be Lepanto!

Those older trams from the 90's look to be in really good condition, I thought they were newer than that!

Last edited by Svartmetall; October 11th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #326
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

So, today is 11th October. Is Line C is opened?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #327
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I guess this is what happens when you try to go back after two months and remember where you went. Sorry I will correct it.

Those older trams from the 90's look to be in really good condition, I thought they were newer than that!
Don't worry, I didn't mean to be rude and I'm sorry if it seemed so. I was trying to be funny.

Those SOCIMI trams are in good conditions, true. But there are really a few, since the SOCIMI brand went bankrupt some years ago and we have no spare parts for them.

That's why they use some trams as spare parts for the others left. Almost everyone works only on one side because the other cab has been dismantled to create parts for the working one.

In fact we can't use those on tram lines without the ring in the ends, because they were bi-directional (is this a proper english word?) but they are not any more.

Old October 11th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #328
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post
Don't worry, I didn't mean to be rude and I'm sorry if it seemed so. I was trying to be funny.

Those SOCIMI trams are in good conditions, true. But there are really a few, since the SOCIMI brand went bankrupt some years ago and we have no spare parts for them.

That's why they use some trams as spare parts for the others left. Almost everyone works only on one side because the other cab has been dismantled to create parts for the working one.

In fact we can't use those on tram lines without the ring in the ends, because they were bi-directional (is this a proper english word?) but they are not any more.
Aha, thanks for the info! Yes, bi-directional is the correct word. So I guess I would not see those trams going to Flamino then where there is a direct stop without a loop?

Also, I found that station - it is Lepanto on line A. I went in the wrong direction down the tram line to find the station I must have taken.
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #329
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
So, today is 11th October. Is Line C is opened?
Darn.

I hoped no-one would have noticed.

No, it isn't open. 3 days ago MIT (department for transportation - Ministero delle Infrastrutture e dei Trasporti) denied the opening since were missing some papers about testing escalators and lifts.

And "regolamento d'esercizio" (a word which I really don't know how to translate) was missing too.

MIT said the line wasn't ready. Our mayor, Ignazio Marino, "occupied" the building asking to ATAC (our local public transport company), Roma Metropolitane (the company that pays for the Metro C line) and Metro C ScpA (the company that built the line) to fulfill their duties and to create the missing documents.

In less than a day (which is absolutely unbelieveable for italian politics and bureaucracy) these documents have been created and handed to the MIT, which will examine them in a couple of working days.

The line will probably open Saturday the 18th or Saturday the 24th.

Old October 11th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #330
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
Aha, thanks for the info! Yes, bi-directional is the correct word. So I guess I would not see those trams going to Flamino then where there is a direct stop without a loop?

Also, I found that station - it is Lepanto on line A. I went in the wrong direction down the tram line to find the station I must have taken.
Exactly. The SOCIMI are used only on 5, 14, and 19 line. All 3 have the ring at the end (Termini, Gerani, Risorgimento and Togliatti).

Moreover, we could use them also on 3 line, that have the loops in Piramide and Thorwaldsen.

But there is a problem: 5, 14 and 19 line run through Via Prenestina, where the electrical supply is too low for CityWay trams (that need much more energy because of the higher weight and Air Conditioning).

Hence we can use CityWay trams only on 2, 8 and 3 line. SOCIMI and STANGA may be used everywhere except 2 and 8 (because of the direct stop in Flaminio and Venezia) but:

1) Line 3 is very used, and needs the biggest tram possible
2) STANGA and SOCIMI are all used on the Via Prenestina tram line because of their lower power consumption.

In facts, 5 14 and 19 line should definately have more trams, since they are terribly over their capacity and they go through very dense populated areas, but they can't use CityWays and we don't have so much of the old trams left...

Old October 11th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #331
narkelion
Brentered

I'll add this pic, in which you can clearly see how SOCIMI ran the 2 line, as long as the line end was a loop and not a direct stop (in Mancini there's still the loop):

Untitled by pakyuz, on Flickr

Old October 11th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #332
narkelion
Brentered

Another news.

Now the Roma-Giardinetti line will be checkable on the ATAC website or RSM app, to know when the next train will be:

The building in the back is the Parco di Centocelle Metro C station, the inner terminus of the new line until Lodi-Mirti stretch will be open. From here, people going to city centre may catch Bus line 105 (local line), 50X (Express line) or the Roma-Giardinetti train (definately the quicker, in case the Via Casilina is stuck with traffic) knowing precisely which service will come next.

In the new year, probably around March, this system will be available on all trams too.

Old October 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #333
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

That is very good news! As a tourist, I found it bewildering to not be able to access a timetable or next departure of public transport (especially buses) very easily without having to use a mobile. Glad to see this is being rolled out.
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #334
narkelion
Brentered

Quote:
That is very good news! As a tourist, I found it bewildering to not be able to access a timetable or next departure of public transport (especially buses) very easily without having to use a mobile. Glad to see this is being rolled out.
Actually, for buses we already have a working system, by RSM (Roma Servizi per la Mobilitā). There are many apps and this website: http://muovi.roma.it that show when the next bus will reach a certain stop.

Thruthfully speaking, we don't have timetables for buses. That means that no-one can know the exact time in which bus number 89 will reach stop number 71404 (for example).

What we can know is when next 89 will come to my stop, 71404.

I don't know if it's clear, I'll make an example to simplify it.

It's 14:01 on a sunny day, and I'm a tourist.

I need to go from Piazza Torre Argentina to San Pietro. I find out that I have to catch bus line 64, 62 or 40X. I reach the stop, and I look onto that website, or on the proper app.

I won't find that 40X will reach the stop at 14:02, 64 at 14:12 and 62 at 14:06.
But I'll know that bus 40 will come in 2 minutes, and it's 2 stops behind the one I'm waiting at.

Is it clear enough? I always find this system very hard to explain to people used to bus timetables for each stop...

Old October 11th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #335
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Yeah, it's very clear, but it is unusual to me to not have set timetables. Rome was the first place I went to where there isn't a set timetable. Just took a bit of getting used to!
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #336
XIX
Frequent Flyer

Likes (Received): 593

At the moment are available in http://muovi.roma.it just the departures from the terminus for every line.

RSM has the timetables data for every single stop, but this kind of data aren't used in the official app and site.

Timetables data are available on Moovit (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) and HERE Transit (Windows Phone) apps. RSM has published the database of the entire network, everyone can use it (respecting the license) and is constantly updated
XIX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #337
XIX
Frequent Flyer

Likes (Received): 593

error
XIX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #338
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Let's see if I can get these right!

We're coming to the end of my set from Rome now, but hopefully I can still add some more.

Firstly, Termini Station in Rome. Just a few pictures of this behemoth of a station. Lots of late night shopping here too.

From the bus terminal outside Termini station.

The bus terminal.

Shopping under Termini station.

A few more to come.
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #339
SirAce
Utente. E basta

Likes (Received): 4640

Thanks again to Sir Joe, we have the latest pics from Jonio B1 station.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=11616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJoe View Post
Piccoli progressi... lato Jonio

la facciata č quasi completata... lato Scarpanto

qui hanno piantato gli alberelli... Val Melaina

Svartmetall, geometarkv liked this post
SirAce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #340
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Just to finish off my set of Roman public transport pictures.

Here is the Roma Nord line again at Flamino.

Walking through the station at Spagna.

I liked the cat a lot!

One thing I really liked was the platform maps one gets on the Roman metro. As you can see, each exit direction is marked on the line maps. This is a good idea.

Final shot, I am pretty sure this is Termini station on Line B.

Thank you, Rome. You gave me loads of photo opportunities. Rome is one of the single most beautiful places I have visited. Whilst the transport was a little chaotic and quirky, it was still a great trip.

Don't forget, I have a big playlist of videos that I took of Roman public transport here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...A-wTx6O41W-JgN

And a playlist of sights of Rome here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KXFCIetYqJwcBL

I hope to return in the future.

Tags
railways, roma, rome, subway