daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #21
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

wow! the new trains are superb! i hope they won't be devastated by graffiti.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #22
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Yes, very beautiful Spanish trains made by CAF in BCN!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #23
UT596001
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

CAF haven't any factories in Barcelona.

CAF have 3 factories in Spain: Irún, Beasaín and Zaragoza. But I don't know in what of this factories was made the Roma new metro.
UT596001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #24
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

In Santa Perpètua: CAF/ALSTOM!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #25
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

Nice new trains but the stations need urgently a total rennovation...

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #26
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7067

They definitely need an acid bath. I've been to Rome, and its a great city, but the metro is kind of digusting.

Argh. I hate graffitti!!
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #27
jmartcue

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartcue
SOON AVAILABLE:

For further info visit www.cityrailtransit.com/books.html
Book published on August 17, 2006. Sample pages:

jmartcue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #28
spsmiler

I was there last year and had the most terrible time travelling around that I have ever had.

The graffitti, hot trains, etc is only half the story.

I arrived in Rome at an airport (forget the name, but its the airport that Ryanair use) and found that the airport buses to the local railway stations run every 40 minutes, or less.

There was a lady at a bus stop giving advice for arriving travellers, but when i asked about getting to the city centre she told me what she wanted me to hear, which is not the same as what I asked. Even worse, when she did finally answer my questions that information was wrong.

Eventually I caught a bus to the metro line A, but when I arrived at the station there was NO information on how to reach the trains from the bus stop.

I wanted to go to an exhibition and the web site of the exhibition centre told me to go to a certain metro station and catch a bus on route 30 (I think that was the number) but when I reached the metro station I found many bus stops outside - none of which were for the bus I wanted. In the end I had to go around asking local people for help - which was not easy as I dont speak Italian and they did not speak English!

At the end of the day i returned to the airport via the same route, again having a terrible time trying to find the correct bus stop (no signs / information ANYWHERE), so again I had to ask local people for help. At least i was not the only tourist waiting for the bus - indeed the crowd was so large that I hope they all managed to board it as otherwise anyone left behind would have been stranded.

Anyway the bus finally arrived over 20 minutes late, it travelled via the longest most circuituous route imginable, with local people getting off too (it was supposed to be an express airport bus).

I was very pleased I had travel insurance as I thought I was about to be stranded there (no money for a taxi).

The worst part about my experiences are that all this happened in a supposed wealthy "first world" nation in europe. At times I wondered if i had actually flown to a poor African nation. Certainly it had the ambiance of being in what i would imagine a third world city would be like.

In other words, the people who manage the system, install public information signs, etc are failing to do their job properly. If at all.

btw, graffitti is always a result of human action. So how does this reflect upon the people of Rome?

Simon
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #29
spsmiler

ps, I remember now, it was Ciampino airport, and if the lady at the bus stop there had of answered my original question correctly then I would have boarded the bus which was there at the time, and travelled to Ciampino station which is served by suburban trains of the mainline railway.

But she said that the bus was not for people wanting to go to the city centre, when in fact it was.

Even though I asked where the bus was going and if I could use it to get to the city centre she told me that for the city centre I had to take a different bus. Only after it had gone and I asked her again did she admit that to get to the city centre I could have taken that bus and changed at a railway station.

Simon
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #30
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2089

Quote:
btw, graffitti is always a result of human action. So how does this reflect upon the people of Rome?
I think a better question might be: how does this sentence in the context of your story reflect upon the way you regard 'the people of Rome'? Seems that by one (or two) bad experience(s) you had, you've got it all figured out.
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #31
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

Rome metro station 2 years ago:

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #32
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Likes (Received): 0

The new trains look really nice!!! It's good to hear that Rome Metro is getting the investments it needs =)
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #33
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
wow! the new trains are superb! i hope they won't be devastated by graffiti.
They got an "anti-graffiti" film

About Rome metro in general:
in past years they began a general refurbishment of the old stations, while new built stations (and of course the ones they're going to build) are goodlooking IMO

Here a coupple of stations of Metro A how they'll appear after refurbishment

http://www.studioarchitettofioravant.../progetto.html

I actually think that Rome metro is not all that dirty: I saw metro systems dirtier
I think its true problem is its too little extension

Hoping they start with metro C soon
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #34
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Wow, that station at the bottom right looks really magnificent. Somewhat resembling a Roman basilica.

One of the few things I found good about the Roman metro were the strip maps in the trains, showing where the platforms were in relation to the direction the train was travelling in. I can't remember any other metro system with such a detailed strip map. It's very useful when you're in a packed train and want to be at a strategic position well before you reach your station to get off quickly.
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #35
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
One of the few things I found good about the Roman metro were the strip maps in the trains, showing where the platforms were in relation to the direction the train was travelling in. I can't remember any other metro system with such a detailed strip map.
I can... Milan metro
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #36
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Never used that system, so that explains why... Is this common in Italian cities?
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #37
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2652

I only have seen one good thing on this metro, usualy there is no need of pay for use it (of 80 travels 0 times i was asked for the ticket).

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #38
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
Never used that system, so that explains why... Is this common in Italian cities?
I can't say that for sure... probably metro systems like Naples or Genova use the same strip maps showing you what side of the train doors will open at the following station, but I didn't noticed 'em
Surely I don't know about Catania or Turin: two metros I never saw personally (surely in Turin it's not useful: for all its lenght doors open on the same side)

I can, however, explain you how this kind of communication was born
In 1990 Milan metro line 3 enter the service... to get out to stations on this line you have often "to change" side of the train, being the platforms in "different positions" (and that is more frequent in the most central stratch of the line, 'cause the two directions tunnels stand one over the other... that means that top of "side changing" happens in a part where trains are often packed... that could give many problems to passengers)

Then they thought to put in line 3 trains lighting arrows to show the side to get out at the following station (not very usefull actually and they often don't work...) and to design these strip maps of the line with little triangular arrows showing how to get out the train per direction in every station
Then they extended this kind of maps on the trains of the other 2 lines (even if on line 1 is quite boring 'cause you get out always on the same side), and then other cities like Rome used the same system of communication for their transport network

Last edited by GENIUS LOCI; August 18th, 2006 at 07:09 PM.
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #39
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes
I only have seen one good thing on this metro, usualy there is no need of pay for use it (of 80 travels 0 times i was asked for the ticket).
well you didn't write if you were one of those train jumpers...
Train systems lose much money because of them...

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #40
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Two metro trains collide in Rome

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6057876.stm

Tags
railways, roma, rome, subway