daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #41
_^^_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The "desert" of Madrid

_^^_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #42
diegodbs

Likes (Received): 20

Maybe this is what Ribarca calls semi-desert:

Fotos mías y de otro forero, Serfin.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Aspects of Madrid that tourists seldom see. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=701822

or visit Green Madrid http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=676798
diegodbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #43
aliveinchains

Likes (Received): 512

Great, beautiful city of almost 7 mio. people in metro area...and green mountains, skiways, wild environment.....is there any better city to live in Europe?...probably somewhere in Italy or Barcelona.....Next holydays i am going to spend in Spain
aliveinchains no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #44
activi

Likes (Received): 0

But it's also true that some of the outskirts of Madrid looks semi-desert, it's not it's simply arid wheat fields. The southeast and east of the region looks more arid and have some poor grey coloured lands which when unforested looks very arid. Madrid is right in the border between the north and northwest more fertile and forested lands and the east and south east more arid.

I agree that the transition between city and countryside is abrupt and there is not extensively low density residential areas, there are specially along A6 exit (nortwest) but not as much as in other european cities.
activi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #45
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

An insightful and fantastic collection of photographs documenting a great city. Thanks.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #46
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Ribarca is a clear antimadrilean. Many of the things that he says about Madrid are simply false. Apart from that heīs very ignorant about Madrid matters. He doesnīt know this city at all.

Apart from that, he most important thing: the pictures of this thread are simply amazing. Thanks to all of the people that are sending them.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea canīt be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut ętre absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #47
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 907

Fantastic pics! Madrid looks fabulous. The suburbs look a bit meh, quite a few tower blocks.
Mr Bricks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #48
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhere View Post
Ribarca is a clear antimadrilean. Many of the things that he says about Madrid are simply false. Apart from that heīs very ignorant about Madrid matters. He doesnīt know this city at all.

Apart from that, he most important thing: the pictures of this thread are simply amazing. Thanks to all of the people that are sending them.
It's always funny when people take things out of context. I had a great time in Madrid this summer and said so several times on this board. I have visited the city many times and this time I entered from Sevilla by Ave and left for Barcelona by Ave. Madrid's direct surroundings are not the greenest and most hospitable... The Meseta is not the most hospitable. Ofcourse there are greener parts. I have been to el Escorial for example and you posted pictures of the mountains... What do you want me too say. That the Meseta has a lavishly green landscape covered by thick forests... The funny thing is that you can say 10 positive things and 1 thing that is perceived as negative and people only remember the one they feel is "negative".

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com

Last edited by Ribarca; October 19th, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #49
Filandon

Likes (Received): 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
It's always funny when people take things out of context
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca44827406
A city like Madrid is just in the middle of nowhere in a not so hospitable semi-desert
Why canīt you be a little bit consequent? At least do not try to give lessons that you donīt apply to yourself!

Quote:
It's always funny when people take things out of context. I had a great time in Madrid this summer and said so several times on this board. I have visited the city many times and this time I entered from Sevilla by Ave and left for Barcelona by Ave. Madrid's direct surroundings are not the greenest and most hospitable... The Meseta is not the most hospitable. Ofcourse there are greener parts. I have been to el Escorial for example and you posted pictures of the mountains... What do you want me too say. That the Meseta has a lavishly green landscape covered by thick forests... The funny thing is that you can say 10 positive things and 1 thing that is perceived as negative and people only remember the one they feel is "negative".
Well just worry a little bit to inform yourself and know the situation a little better before making a statement. Is like if Iīd say Barcelona is just commie blocks and dirty industrial zones having into account the entries of the city. No reasonable person would ever say that... not a reasonable person would say that either when talking about Madrid.

As seen in the pictures Madrid is the Meseta and much more, if you worry to know a little bit youīll discover that the Meseta is much more than cereal fields. More than a third of Madrid territories are forested areas and you will be surprised to know the percentage of forest of the mesetaīs provinces. Shame on you, you will miss so much from making statements from so little...

The pictures just proove how stupid your sentence was. And of course there are pictures of mountains and forest, what can you do if they are just around the city? Dooing like you and not looking at them?

Leave your complex and just look at things how they are, go a little bit deeper and do not make lapidary sentences if you do not kmow what you are talking about.

By the way, wonderful pictures!
Filandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #50
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Well said, Filandon. Ribarca forgets also that Madrid is one of the cities with more trees along with Tokio. The parks in Madrid are simply amazing and great. Casa de Campo, Retiro, Juan Carlos I, parque del Oeste, are incredible parks. Plus the river is being reforested right now. Ribarca doesnīt know anything. The pictures are the evidence of his ignorance and complex. He doesnīt even know that there is a very big sierra, or maybe he doesnīt know what a meseta is. Itīs simply a matter of ignorance and hate against Madrid. But the pictures are greeeeeeeat. Thank you, guys!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JAVICUENCA; October 19th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #51
Ribarca

You have been ruining this thread over a simple sentence. I never claimed the city was not green or that there are no mountains in the area. The fact I stated is that Madrid lies in an arid area which could explain (context) the lack of detached homes in its vicinity and its ability to expand more than other cities. Suddenly I have a complex as well next to being a Madrid hater. Sad sad people. I hate the city that's why I fly all the way from Asia to visit it....

I will rephrase to appease the crowd. Madrid lies in a lush area reminiscent of Switzerland with a river that puts the amazon to shame.

Anyway I will stay clear of this thread.

"The subdued colors displayed in this image are indicative the arid conditions that exist in this elevated massif of central Spain."

Last edited by Ribarca; October 19th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #52
Filandon

Quote:
I will rephrase to appease the crowd. Madrid lies in a lush area reminiscent of Switzerland with a river that puts the amazon to shame.
"
Whoīs saying that? Why canīt you just admit you were wrong? Madrid is what it is, not a desert nor a Swiss valley. No need to say what is not!!!! Just stop doing it again and again...

Whoīs the one trying to ruin the thread by no saying the truth?

Just next time you write something down be sure is not a stupid thing. Itīs as easy as that No need to ruin threads

By the way, the thread somehow is not ruined thanks for the great pictures that were post to show your childness. Great company for the wonderful pics of the first page

Last edited by Filandon; October 19th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #53
Ribarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filandon View Post
Whoīs saying that? Why canīt you just admit you were wrong? Madrid is what it is, not a desert nor a Swiss valley. No need to say what is not!!!! Just stop doing it again and again...
:
The area around Madrid is for the most part semi-desert (as the image above proves). I never claimed it was a desert. Grow up please. Don't put words in my mouth. Try to read a remark in its context (quoting somebody and leaving out the context is impolite). Don't feel attacked for no need. You have so few posts and most of them are made wasting somebody's great photo thread. Instead try to contribute something useful.

Old October 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #54
JAVICUENCA

Your picture doesnīt show anything. Itīs only an unclear and bad image from above. The pictures posted by others show a lot more. Thatīs what people say.

Why donīt you go to speak about other cities instead of telling stupid lies about Madrid?

You must be blind and have a lot of time to waste in childish posts anyway.

Pictures of this desert and meseta called Madrid (according to a crazy point of view).

Pictures by Madridhere.

Last edited by JAVICUENCA; October 19th, 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #55
Ribarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post

Why donīt you go to speak about other cities instead of telling lies about Madrid?
Now I'm accused of being a liar as well. What's next. Get a grip. There is no need for these kind of accusations. There is no need to be touchy about something which is 1 true and 2 not used in a negative way to start with.

Old October 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #56
wapo5050

Likes (Received): 214

yes, madrid is a desert

Old October 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #57
JAVICUENCA

Wapo, thanks for your pictures. Oh how dry itīs, oh my God.

Your pictures show green areas inside the town area of Madrid, the only Spanish city that has such big parks inside the town.

The worst blind man is the one who doesnīs want to see, like the Spanish proverb says.

More pictures of this desert. ANother park inside the city (pictures again by Madrihere).

Last edited by JAVICUENCA; October 19th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #58
Filandon

Quote:
Now I'm accused of being a liar as well. What's next. Get a grip. There is no need for these kind of accusations. There is no need to be touchy about something which is 1 true and 2 not used in a negative way to start with.
Well, to say Madrid is in the middle of nowhere is 1) a lie and 2) A pejorative accusation

In which arguments you base your statements? In the satellite picture you posted? All the pictures shown just above are areas of the picture you post, so tell me whatīs wrong...

By the way, definition of desert from Britannica Concise Encyclopedia:

"Large, extremely dry area of land with fairly sparse vegetation. It is one of the Earth's major types of ecosystems. Areas with a mean annual precipitation of 10 in. (250 mm) or less are generally considered deserts".

Not a single centimeter of the metro area suites the definition and even some areas have a yearly rainfall of 1.400 mm) which is almost twice the average precipitation of London. Other areas are dryer but no desert. So please, stop ruining your reputation and accept you were wrong, I have nothing against deserts, actually now Iīm living in Morocco and here there are wonderful desertic landscapes (as well as other equally great green ones).

Somehow it was good that you say that lie so we all could enjoy the wonderful nature surrounding Madrid. Thank you all for posting!
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #59
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2946

Most of the Iberian plateau (Madrid stands on its edge) looks pretty arid for much time a year, semi-desert is just another way to name it, that doesn't mean it's a real desert, just an open country Mediterranean landscape. Why the hell is that desert thing always such a big deal?
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #60
Ribarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolke View Post
Most of the Iberian plateau (Madrid stands on its edge) looks pretty arid for much time a year, semi-desert is just another way to name it, that doesn't mean it's a real desert, just an open country Mediterranean landscape. Why the hell is that desert thing always such a big deal?
I don't understand the negative connotation either. I never said desert as some are implying. I clearly used the word semi.

With regards to the other issue. Compared to other metropolises Madrid is in the middle of nowhere. The result of a non natural growth. Again there is nothing wrong with that.

Tags
city, espaņa, madrid, spain, spain in the world