daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #101
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian
 
Viva_Bulgaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sofia
Posts: 2,617
Likes (Received): 3925

It is great that the regional government has planted trees, I hope they will continue like that

Do you think that they can make a program like that, shown in my piece of art (of course, I repeat, it is not necessary to have trees between all fields)

__________________
BULGARIA ABOVE ALL!!!
Bulgaria | One photo per post
Sofia projects Plovdiv projects
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #102
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Yes, that would be a gereat thing to plant trees in that way. Thatīs what happens in western lands, where trees are even in the lands, as you can see in this photo:



And some more photos of Madrid forests:

50 km away from the city of Madrid:











Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #103
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,663
Likes (Received): 244521

That forest and the lake looks indeed great; its only 50 km from Madrid?
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #104
eklips
Registered User
 
eklips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,648
Likes (Received): 5050

Typical Madrid countryside




Typical street in Madrid



__________________
Madrid
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #105
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Of course, thatīs not Madrid, but the photos I posted are.

Madrid climate:


Last edited by Alvr23; October 24th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #106
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
That forest and the lake looks indeed great; its only 50 km from Madrid?
Yes, itīs only 50 km form Madrid, in the west mountains, although altitude is the same. And thatīs not a lake, it is a reservoir.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #107
Peshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 1

Madrid is changing rapidly . I too was shocked at thinking how lifeless and dry that arid land just a few short kilometers from the city center can be mainly around the East and South of its periphery . Not to mention ugly .

I mean you drive a few minutes from the Paseo del prado which is drop dead gorgeously green . You then hit the periphery just a few minutes away and everything is just blank . You think to yourself '' a few minutes ago i was in Spains most awesome city and one of Europes and all of a suden im surrounded by this huge expanse of lifelesness ''.

The north west and West are a different matter . Suburbs around those areas extend more and are much nicer and more lush . More similar to Anglo-celtic cities .

You do look at madrid the city and you would be hard pressed to find another city that is as grand and beautiful . With some incredibly huge boulevards and fountains to boot . Breathtaking city .

But i must also say that it is also difficult to find a major city that has some of the ugliest surroundings like around the East and South of the cities perimeters .
That is one of the major differences you will generally find in Spanish cities as opposed to Anglo-Celtic ones around the world .In Madrid for example they have constructed grand buildings and plazas and avenues over the centuries in the cvity center that no anglo-Celtic city can match . However . It is also true that alot of the times the buck stop there .

In Anglo-Celtic cities you can travel for kilometers and kilometers outside the city center and be surronded by lushness and footpaths and all sorts of things which cost a shitload of money.

So alot of the Spanish governments mentality over the years seems to have been .'' Lets pour lots of money into the city center and forget about many of the underpriveledged suburbs on the outside of the cities ''.

This though does seem to be changing . There seems to be a hell of alot of construction and parks that are springing up around the periphery of Madrid . I saw a huge change last time i was there . It seems to be spreading out in all directions and much of outer Madrid looks a hell of alot nicer than what it did a few years ago .

So you have to congrats the citizens of late for all the great changes happening in Madrid .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #108
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,663
Likes (Received): 244521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
Yes, itīs only 50 km form Madrid, in the west mountains, although altitude is the same. And thatīs not a lake, it is a reservoir.
A small lake?
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #109
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
A small lake?
No, itīs like an artificial lake built to supply Madrid with water.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #110
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
Madrid is changing rapidly . I too was shocked at thinking how lifeless and dry that arid land just a few short kilometers from the city center can be mainly around the East and South of its periphery . Not to mention ugly .

I mean you drive a few minutes from the Paseo del prado which is drop dead gorgeously green . You then hit the periphery just a few minutes away and everything is just blank . You think to yourself '' a few minutes ago i was in Spains most awesome city and one of Europes and all of a suden im surrounded by this huge expanse of lifelesness ''.

The north west and West are a different matter . Suburbs around those areas extend more and are much nicer and more lush . More similar to Anglo-celtic cities .

You do look at madrid the city and you would be hard pressed to find another city that is as grand and beautiful . With some incredibly huge boulevards and fountains to boot . Breathtaking city .

But i must also say that it is also difficult to find a major city that has some of the ugliest surroundings like around the East and South of the cities perimeters .
That is one of the major differences you will generally find in Spanish cities as opposed to Anglo-Celtic ones around the world .In Madrid for example they have constructed grand buildings and plazas and avenues over the centuries in the cvity center that no anglo-Celtic city can match . However . It is also true that alot of the times the buck stop there .

In Anglo-Celtic cities you can travel for kilometers and kilometers outside the city center and be surronded by lushness and footpaths and all sorts of things which cost a shitload of money.

So alot of the Spanish governments mentality over the years seems to have been .'' Lets pour lots of money into the city center and forget about many of the underpriveledged suburbs on the outside of the cities ''.

This though does seem to be changing . There seems to be a hell of alot of construction and parks that are springing up around the periphery of Madrid . I saw a huge change last time i was there . It seems to be spreading out in all directions and much of outer Madrid looks a hell of alot nicer than what it did a few years ago .

So you have to congrats the citizens of late for all the great changes happening in Madrid .
In the south and the west of the region of Madrid are the main landing areas, were grapevine, wheat and olive tree are gorwed.

And please donīt try to make the idea that all parks and forests in the south and west of Madrid are artificial, because they are not. Itīs just an area dedicated to landing, and the trees that are there havenīt been planted.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #111
Peshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
In the south and the west of the region of Madrid are the main landing areas, were grapevine, wheat and olive tree are gorwed.

And please donīt try to make the idea that all parks and forests in the south and west of Madrid are artificial, because they are not. Itīs just an area dedicated to landing, and the trees that are there havenīt been planted.

for a start . I meant the area towards the airport is being improved . Nobody said anything about the West of the city as that part is reasonably green . But trees in the south ? You cant be talking about the area around the A5 heading towards Talavera de la reina . There isn't a tree to be found .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #112
Alvr23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 542
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
for a start . I meant the area towards the airport is being improved . Nobody said anything about the West of the city as that part is reasonably green . But trees in the south ? You cant be talking about the area around the A5 heading towards Talavera de la reina . There isn't a tree to be found .
Sorry, I meant the east, not the west. And itīs true that there are not many trees in the south, because is a landing area, but i said that there are some, that havenīt been planted, altough it is also true that a lot of parks are being built in the south cities. I only tried to say that if tere are not trees, thatīs not a problem of the terrain, itīs just because a long time ago they were removed, as in every part of the world, to land. I said that just because maybe someone can get the idea that South of Madrid is like a desert, where trees only grow if you plant and water them, it was just an explanation. ( And I donīt mean that you wanted to say that)





In these two photos there are not so many trees, but they exist, thatīs what I only tried to say.

Last edited by Alvr23; October 25th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Alvr23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #113
edubejar
Registered User
 
edubejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,375
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
Sorry, I meant the east, not the west. And itīs true that there are not many trees in the south, because is a landing area, but i said that there are some, that havenīt been planted, altough it is also true that a lot of parks are being built in the south cities. I only tried to say that if tere are not trees, thatīs not a problem of the terrain, itīs just because a long time ago they were removed, as in every part of the world, to land. I said that just because maybe someone can get the idea that South of Madrid is like a desert, where trees only grow if you plant and water them, it was just an explanation. ( And I donīt mean that you wanted to say that)





In these two photos there are not so many trees, but they exist, thatīs what I only tried to say.
Alvr23, what do you mean by landing area? I've never heard that term before. Landing area to me sounds like landing strip zones for airports. Do you mean agricultural or rural land? Cropland?

I agree with you that many cities have deforested the land in their near or distant vicinity but what stands out to me is why unlike other places such deforested land was not replaced with grass for grazing (grasses for animals to eat) or just grass for grass. I imagine not all places are suitable for cropland that is why I said just grass for grass. I don't know how many times I've seen fields of grass with no animals grazing yet that flora cover is still there. Also, when I think of deforestation, I think of a process that was done to make room for development (unless it was to acquire wood for construction). Do you think they thought they were going to develop what was deforested or was it wood acquisition?

What viva_Bulgaria is talking about are called hedges, strips of shrubs and/or trees to form a barrier between a field and a road or two neighboring fields. Sometimes I've only seen those strips made up of tall grass. Those hedges that remain even when there are no crops and which help block the view of fields without crops do seem to make a difference in making an area look more green or vegetated.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #114
Peshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 1

I also think that a logical reason why there is so much barren land around the south is because they obviously have plans to develop it in the future . But it will take decades before it is all developed .

Will they leave it the way it is until it gets developed ? They seem to have left it the way it is for decades already . I find it very strange . And the concils and governments of that area seem pretty pathetic to leave it in such a state.

I actually lived in Mostoles for a few months . The place aint bad at all. It's like a self contained city . But they some how have to connect all the suburbs such as Alcorcon , Getafe , Leganes , Fuenlabrada etc.... To a more harmonious whole . At the moment it all looks so patchy and un-attractive .

Maybe they can build some low rise houses so it all blends in to a nice whole .I remember a little place i think it was called parque Coimbra a few klms out on the A 5 . That looks quite nice . Maybe some more developments along those lines to blend those already fairly ugly densed pisos would be nice .

The way it seems now just doesn't make much sense around one of the planets greatest cities .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #115
Peshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 757
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
Sorry, I meant the east, not the west. And itīs true that there are not many trees in the south, because is a landing area, but i said that there are some, that havenīt been planted, altough it is also true that a lot of parks are being built in the south cities. I only tried to say that if tere are not trees, thatīs not a problem of the terrain, itīs just because a long time ago they were removed, as in every part of the world, to land. I said that just because maybe someone can get the idea that South of Madrid is like a desert, where trees only grow if you plant and water them, it was just an explanation. ( And I donīt mean that you wanted to say that)





In these two photos there are not so many trees, but they exist, thatīs what I only tried to say.


Ningun problema amigo . No existe maldad . Pero me gustaria ciertas mejoras a las afueras de la ciudad en lo que ya es una fantastica metropolis . Y mi favorita ciudad en Europa . Madriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #116
activi
Registered User
 
activi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: madrid
Posts: 110
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
Alvr23, what do you mean by landing area? I've never heard that term before. Landing area to me sounds like landing strip zones for airports. Do you mean agricultural or rural land? Cropland?

I agree with you that many cities have deforested the land in their near or distant vicinity but what stands out to me is why unlike other places such deforested land was not replaced with grass for grazing (grasses for animals to eat) or just grass for grass. I imagine not all places are suitable for cropland that is why I said just grass for grass. I don't know how many times I've seen fields of grass with no animals grazing yet that flora cover is still there. Also, when I think of deforestation, I think of a process that was done to make room for development (unless it was to acquire wood for construction). Do you think they thought they were going to develop what was deforested or was it wood acquisition?

What viva_Bulgaria is talking about are called hedges, strips of shrubs and/or trees to form a barrier between a field and a road or two neighboring fields. Sometimes I've only seen those strips made up of tall grass. Those hedges that remain even when there are no crops and which help block the view of fields without crops do seem to make a difference in making an area look more green or vegetated.
Probably the forumer means cropland or farmalan when talking about landing.

Most of this barren land does not belong to Madrid city.

Probably deforested during centuries for farming and pastures for sheeps (in spring) and the needs of wood for the cold winters of the area.

No grass (except in spring) for one reason: not enugh rains for that, this is a mediterranean-continental climate.

When in atlantic-humid climate there are barren lands, they are normally covered with grass that grows naturally, here it's a barren land and also a bad land with few rains, so it has an ugly aspect when treeless.

The cities of the south of madrid are normally a set of residential areas with 'commie blocks' style constructions and industrial areas around an old town that normally has nothing of interest. The land is not bad here but it was without trees and used mainly for crops, very suitable in this type of climate.

There is a reforesested area in a big park called Polvoranca between Mostoles, Leganes and Alcorcon. Now this park is being expanded to form the so called 'bosque sur', south forest, and the regional goverment has reforested extensive areas of abandoned croplands, if you drive along M50 in this area you can see many small trees planted, specially between Fuenlabrada and Leganes connecting with this Polvoranca park. In the coming years more more trees will be planted in the area to link these cities by green areas, instead of rowhouses and urban sprawl.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=406317
activi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #117
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Alabama, China
Posts: 1,197
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
A small lake?
A reservoir is a river that has been blocked by a dam (a wall) so that the water accumulates and can be used by large city as a source of water. They're usually found near big cities with dry climates.



This reservoir may not look very big but it is very deep so it contains a lot of freshwater (in the middle of a desert!).
__________________
^ What he said.
gonzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #118
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,663
Likes (Received): 244521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvr23 View Post
No, itīs like an artificial lake built to supply Madrid with water.
Thank @Alvr23... for the explain
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #119
wapo5050
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,234
Likes (Received): 214

some great pics from flickr

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


http://www.flickr.com/photos/gustavo...7605598484511/
__________________
// \\ rate the great leaning towers // \\

Last edited by wapo5050; October 28th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
wapo5050 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #120
Motorways
Registered User
 
Motorways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 331
Likes (Received): 94

amazing shots! really breathtaking pics. thanks
Motorways no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
city, espaņa, madrid, spain, spain in the world

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium