daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #41
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I have done some research, and I estimated that the number of 4-lane roads that are motorway (like) is some 125 kilometers. These roads have 2x2 lanes, a median and interchanges, but many have some kind of illegal access from unpaved side roads. Vendors on the shoulders are not uncommon as well.

The borders with both Turkey and Azerbaijan are closed. I must add there are physically no real roads in the border regions, as the border has been closed since Soviet times. The Nagorno Karabakh War in the 1990s destroyed much of the infrastructure in that region.

International traffic can only go south to Iran or north to Georgia. Transit traffic to international markets use Georgian roads to the port of Batumi, and sometimes further north into Russia, as Armenia and Russia have good relations.

Because the most (if not all) of the Russian - Georgia/Azerbaijani border crossings are closed to non-CIS inhabitants, going to Armenia by car from Europe is only possible via Turkey and Georgia.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #42
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
Because the most (if not all) of the Russian - Georgia/Azerbaijani border crossings are closed to non-CIS inhabitants, going to Armenia by car from Europe is only possible via Turkey and Georgia.
Why there are difference between CIS and non-CIS citizens?
I know there are enclaves/exclaves on the AR-AZ border, how they access them if the border is closed?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #43
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CIS = Commonwealth of Independent States i.e. inhabitants of the former Soviet Union except for the Baltics and Georgia.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #44
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
CIS = Commonwealth of Independent States i.e. inhabitants of the former Soviet Union except for the Baltics and Georgia.
I know what CIS is. I asked for what reason they can cross and other no.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #45
Ruso141

Likes (Received): 58

Hello in wikipethya it says that Armenia has 850km of railway, is that true?. Do you know how fast the armenians trains ares, which is the maximun speed?
Ruso141 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #46
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I know there are enclaves/exclaves on the AR-AZ border, how they access them if the border is closed?
They are not accessible. De facto part of the respective country where they are located.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:42 PM   #47
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso141 View Post
Hello in wikipethya it says that Armenia has 850km of railway, is that true?. Do you know how fast the armenians trains ares, which is the maximun speed?
Their system is the remainder of the soviet system. so they have the same features.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:55 PM   #48
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Azerbaijani exclave of Nakhchivan can be reached only via Iran or Turkey. Armenian exclaves are not really exclaves anymore because Armenia controls the territory between them and Armenia proper. There was a war between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the early 90-ties won by Armenia (with help from Russia).

It's a beautifull part of a planet (I've been in both Georgia and Armenia), but inherently unstable (very fragmented ethnically and religiously)...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM   #49
pobre diablo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Azerbaijani exclave of Nakhchivan can be reached only via Iran or Turkey. Armenian exclaves are not really exclaves anymore because Armenia controls the territory between them and Armenia proper. There was a war between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the early 90-ties won by Armenia (with help from Russia).

It's a beautifull part of a planet (I've been in both Georgia and Armenia), but inherently unstable (very fragmented ethnically and religiously)...
This is quite a controversial statement.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:10 AM   #50
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
This is quite a controversial statement.
But true and quite obviously so for everyone familiar with the situation. Let's keep to the road infrastructure in this thread, though.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:51 AM   #51
pobre diablo
BANNED

Well, the fact is that Russia provided assistance to both sides, and there aremany other factors in the conflict.

Yes, let's keep on topic.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:13 PM   #52
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Or via Turkey and Iran. I didn't know Caucasian border crossings were closed to us.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #53
vectom

Likes (Received): 967

the road between Vladikavkaz and Kazbegi (Stepansminda) is open for non-CIS residents and vehicles.
vectom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #54
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectom View Post
the road between Vladikavkaz and Kazbegi (Stepansminda) is open for non-CIS residents and vehicles.
Since when? It wasn't when I visited Georgia last summer.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #55
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Sunfuns, officially from the autumn of 2011.
My friend drove in the spring of 2012 to Georgia, and confirmed that.
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #56
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Officially from the autumn of 2011
A friend drove the spring of 2012 to Georgia, and confirmed that
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #57
radko

Likes (Received): 3

Hi when was built dual-carriage Yerevan - Sevan? year, please
radko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #58
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M1:

Photos by Coen Tunnel.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

verreme, Zagor666, Vignole, ilergeta liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #59
italystf

No ovals next to foreign cities.
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:51 PM   #60
Triple C

Likes (Received): 1724

What do you mean by ovals? Eliptic roundabouts?
Triple C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
armenia