daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has the best night skyline in the south?
Atlanta 69 26.54%
Austin 3 1.15%
Charlotte 30 11.54%
Dallas 68 26.15%
Houston 21 8.08%
Miami 51 19.62%
New Orleans 10 3.85%
Other 8 3.08%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #61
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
I also think we need to distinguish between a great nighttime shot of a skyline and a great nighttime skyline. Most of the shots of Dallas I've seen in this thread, and some of Atlanta also, are just great nighttime shots by really talented photographers. For instance, I could post this nighttime shot of midtown Atlanta

http://image3.examiner.com/images/bl...tin_flickr.jpg

Or this one of downtown

http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10093407.jpg

But it's quite clear they are enhanced. What you are more likely to see with your own physical eyes at night is closer to this

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/...2237c3ac_o.jpg

Or this:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/...662f74682d.jpg

In the same way, you're not really going to see this with your physical eyes:

image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/...06395311_b.jpg

A lot of the buildings in that shot aren't even lit up or are barely lit, so you won't be able to actually see them as clearly in person as you can in that shot. What you will actually see will be much closer to this:

http://www.shapesweeney.com/photos/j...1320125968.jpg

or this:

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/82296...-small-new.jpg
wait... your saying you cant see these lights as good in person as you can on a camera? Correct me if im wrong but when you take a night shot of a city you usually have to photoshop it to make the lights look right because Cameras strain at night to capture all the light when there is BLACK ever where. On the other hand your eyes adjust to low light as best they can allowing you to see better at night.

So what your saying is that in that last picture of Dallas, if you go and physically stand on the south levee on the trinity river in the Oak Cliff neighborhood (from where this pic is taken) that you wont see these lights as clearly as you can now in the picture?? Are you kidding me?!?!?! You will see them better in person then in picture.

Dont argue, please, I work with Cameras and editing with photoshop for a profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Atlanta benefits from the fact that most of its tall buildings were built in the last 20 years so the lighting is more up to date. And all those granny victorian crowns do light up beautifully at night. Dallas just needs to step up its game and do the kind of light show Hong Kong puts on every night with choreographed LEDs. You don't even have to put up 105 story towers, just redo the '80s stuff!

Reunion Tower has a LED up grade coming along for the ball, same for BofA tower (green neon). Also the Cities top officials went to Hong Kong and Shanhai in the summer on 2008 to view the lights and have many plans to do the same. It is all works in Progress.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM   #62
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
wait... your saying you cant see these lights as good in person as you can on a camera? Correct me if im wrong but when you take a night shot of a city you usually have to photoshop it to make the lights look right because Cameras strain at night to capture all the light when there is BLACK ever where. On the other hand your eyes adjust to low light as best they can allowing you to see better at night.

So what your saying is that in that last picture of Dallas, if you go and physically stand on the south levee on the trinity river in the Oak Cliff neighborhood (from where this pic is taken) that you wont see these lights as clearly as you can now in the picture?? Are you kidding me?!?!?! You will see them better in person then in picture.

Dont argue, please, I work with Cameras and editing with photoshop for a profession.
Don't get so caught up in one example until you miss the overall point.

The point that I was trying to make is that this:

image hosted on flickr

is more of an example of a really good nighttime skyline SHOT. This is a great photo, but isn't necessarily an example of a great nighttime skyline (Dallas has one, but this picture isn't the best example of that; a few others posted here have been, like that pano). Like I said, a lot of those buildings don't even have lights on and others have few lights on, so those buildings are not going to show up in person nearly as clearly as they do in this shot. The shot enhances the buildings (those with a lot of light, little light, and no light) moreso than the lights themselves.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #63
spencer114

Likes (Received): 199

Dallas is fugly, Atlanta is tacky.
Those photos of Dallas are totally doctored.
I hope that people don't pay you to work with cameras if you cannot see that.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM   #64
Ganis
BANNED

those arnt my photos moron. good addition to the thread spency
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:50 AM   #65
Ganis
BANNED

Hey KRAZEEBOY

NFL bet.

Atlanta beats Dallas I change my signature for a week to Atlanta has the best skyline at night
Dallas Beats Atlants you change your signature to Dallas has the best night skyline for a week.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:06 AM   #66
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 15

It's really not that serious.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #67
spencer114

Likes (Received): 199

I never even came close to implying that those were your photos. They are far too well done.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #68
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 723

As much as I hate to admit this...IMO, 1. Atlanta. 2. Dallas. Miami needs to work on adding more lights to our buildings. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of Miami at night, but I have seem some pics where the skyline at night looks great. But right now it does not compares to Atlanta, Dallas or Houston.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM   #69
chicagoboulder

Likes (Received): 0

Is it just me, or does Atlanta's skyline look like its just straddling one street? I personally like it more when there's a 'district' of sorts with the skyline. I think Dallas AND Atlanta have good skylines, but because Dallas has the district of buildings, my vote goes for big-D
chicagoboulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #70
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoboulder View Post
Is it just me, or does Atlanta's skyline look like its just straddling one street? I personally like it more when there's a 'district' of sorts with the skyline. I think Dallas AND Atlanta have good skylines, but because Dallas has the district of buildings, my vote goes for big-D
It depends on the photo and the angle...some photos make Atlanta's skyline look as if it's only built along Peachtree Street. If you see a photo of Downtown Atlanta from the south side, you can see the density and depth of the city from that perspective....or the same goes for a photo of Midtown from the east side/Piedmont Park.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM   #71
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasboi View Post
As long as we all know it's NOT Houston...lol

its so true but I still have to rep the home town.
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #72
Stratosphere 2020

Likes (Received): 512

Atlanta definately, skrikingly beautiful and powerful.

This nightshot is from Midtown Atlanta alone.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #73
MiamiMan305

Best Night Life:

Tie Between Miami and New Orleans closely followed by Atlanta

edit: whoops misread the title
MiamiMan305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #74
diskojoe
Registered Menace

image hosted on flickr
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #75
pimpsquad27

Likes (Received): 3

pimpsquad27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #76
po-boy

Very close between Atlanta and Dallas. Both look very nice. I like the individual buildings in Atlanta a little more and I think they do a good job making them stand out with the lighting schemes (1180 Peachtree is a nice addition), but they are a bit spread out. Would be nice if they were all together, or perhaps in two sections. Having them in three parts (Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead) dilutes the effect and almost lets Dallas pull even, but I am personally more familiar with Atlanta, so when I see its skyline I have more of a reaction to it, so my vote goes to Atlanta by a nose.
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #77
diskojoe
Registered Menace

this thread is serious lacking in the photo department and has an over abundance of hazing.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #78
MiamiMan305

Best skylines in the south imo are Dallas, ATL, and Miami.
MiamiMan305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #79
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Dallas hands down, the skyline looks completely different at night. Then following #2 atlanta, but it's like all of Atlanta's tall buildings have too have spires and that degrades it in my opinion.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:09 AM   #80
gthog61

I don't know which it is but from reading the thread I think the almost concensus is it is either DAL or ATL. I have an attachment to both places.

I give ATL the end because it has Midtown so you can get both Downtown and Midtown in a shot and have a panorama. Dallas' Midtown-sized secondary skyline is 30 or 40 miles away in Ft. Worth.

I do think the Victory Park development on the north side of Dallas' downtown adds a lot to the foreground of shots from the north, although my favorite photo of DAL in the thread was that one with the rowhouse-looking building in the foreground which looks like it was from the SE.
gthog61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote