daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #221
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

people.ocean.race
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #222
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
people.ocean.race
This.Could.Go.On.Forever haha

The Red Bull air race was what we were talking about, and it doesn't have to happen over the ocean as was claimed here, it has happened over the Thames before.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #223
Chris00
Christian Effenberger

Likes (Received): 3035

And in river D'ouro in Porto as well.
Chris00 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #224
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6446

Was never suggesting that every leg of the Red Bull Air Race is held over the ocean/water. I sometimes forget that you have to explain everything to such fine detail on here, gets annoying fast. Point is, with the exception of a few, majority of the races are held over water of some kind (mostly Rivers). People can still line the banks of the river, would that not make it as much of a stadium as a race course / horse racing track?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #225
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Was never suggesting that every leg of the Red Bull Air Race is held over the ocean/water. I sometimes forget that you have to explain everything to such fine detail on here, gets annoying fast. Point is, with the exception of a few, majority of the races are held over water of some kind (mostly Rivers). People can still line the banks of the river, would that not make it as much of a stadium as a race course / horse racing track?
Were temporary seating structures setup for it?

A stadium is generally a venue where the majority of spectators sit, on seats or benches or concrete.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #226
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
The point being that the ocean is NOT a common denominator when determining what should constitute a Red Bull Air Race "stadium", if it could ever be called that.

And if the ocean is not a common denominator, then we have to eliminate it.

Land IS a common denominator because, at all Red Bull Air Races, spectators watch from land.

Even the air is more of a common denominator than the ocean because, naturally, the action in a Red Bull Air Race takes place.....in the air. So perhaps we should say that the air above us is a stadium?

This is getting ridiculous, no? Back to topic......stadium capital of the world?

Incidentally, any chance that you could drop the condescending attitude - especially since you have said nothing yet to have earnt the right?
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #227
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Although it isn't classified as a "stadium".As far as I'm concerned, it's as much a "stadium" as a race course or horse racing tack.

You don't believe this is a 'stadium'?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...PA_468x277.jpg
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #228
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Air. race. is. held. over. ocean... people. line. up. on. side. of.... ocean.

Although it isn't classified as a "stadium".As far as I'm concerned, it's as much a "stadium" as a race course or horse racing tack.
London hosts the Red Bull air race too, so whats your point?

BTW we are talking about Stadiums not oceans, geography etc Maybe you want to start a different thread as has already been mentioned.

Back on topic.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #229
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
More metro football clubs

Grays athletic - 4,500
Crawley Town - 4,996
Stevenage Borough - 7,100
Woking - 6,036
Thurrock - 3,500
St albans city - 4,500
Staines town - 3,000
Maidenhead united - 3,000
Waltham abbey - 3,500
Canvey island - 4,308
Borehamwood - 4,502
Tonbridge angels - 3,000

Rugby union- guiness championship

London welsh - 5, 850
London scottish- 4,500

Cricket

county cricket ground, beckenham (kcc) 5,000
whitgift school, croydon (scc) 5,000
I'm sorry, but you are taking a few liberties with the London metropolitan area. Crawley?
SSE no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #230
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
I'm sorry, but you are taking a few liberties with the London metropolitan area. Crawley?
Crawley is considered metro London isn't it? Gatwick is a London airport...
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #231
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

If Crawley and Woking are in then my local club Aldershot Town should be in:

Recreation Ground 7,100

Madstad in Reading is 24,000 as well.

Also, ice rinks:

Guildford Spectrum: 2,200
Romford Ice Arena: 1,500
Streatham Ice Rink: 1,200 (apparently!)
Slough Ice Arena: 1,000
John Nike Leisuresport Complex, Bracknell: 2,400

The question is where does it stop?
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #232
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Looking through the isthmian league some of the London teams play at ludicrously sized stadiums... take my local club Thamesmead town, the 8th tier and a capacity of 6,000, average crowd = 64!
This is your 6'000 capacity stadium:

161 seats (according to Wikipedia).
There is no point going so much down in the tier system. Most grounds will probably look similar and also have similarly deceiving capacities

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Last edited by lpioe; October 19th, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
lpioe no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #233
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Crawley is considered metro London isn't it? Gatwick is a London airport...
No. Crawley isn't even in Surrey it's in Sussex. Gatwick is considered a London airport only because it's extremely convenient as it is on the direct line to London Victoria. Even then the name doesn't really mean a lot, I believe Oxford airport has now rebranded itself as London Oxford and there was a case a few years ago of Ryanair selling flights to London Prestwick, which is in Glasgow!

London surely stops with the outskirts of Greater London. Watford, Southend and certainly places like Reading aren't part of London.
SSE no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #234
JimB

Quote:
No. Crawley isn't even in Surrey it's in Sussex. Gatwick is considered a London airport only because it's extremely convenient as it is on the direct line to London Victoria. Even then the name doesn't really mean a lot, I believe Oxford airport has now rebranded itself as London Oxford and there was a case a few years ago of Ryanair selling flights to London Prestwick, which is in Glasgow!

London surely stops with the outskirts of Greater London. Watford, Southend and certainly places like Reading aren't part of London.
Watford is definitely a part of London, even if it is not an actual London borough.

It is within the M25.

It has a London Underground station.

There is continuously built up area between it and central London.

Reading and Southend, granted. They are entirely separate. But they are within London's metropolitan area.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #235
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Watford is definitely a part of London, even if it is not an actual London borough.

It is within the M25.

It has a London Underground station.

There is continuously built up area between it and central London.

Reading and Southend, granted. They are entirely separate. But they are within London's metropolitan area.
I'll agree to disagree with Watford, personally I think London is Greater London and no more.

How is Reading part of London's metropolitan area? It's certainly not inside the M25!
SSE no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #236
Amaruu
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Firstly, this has nothing to do with a discussion about which city is stadium capital of the world. It belongs on another thread.

Secondly, you're not saying anything about the cities themselves. You're only talking about the natural geography of the areas they inhabit.

Thirdly, the city of London is within twenty miles of the North Sea and the actual metropolitan area of London has a coastline on the North Sea.

Fourthly, by your reasoning, the likes of Melbourne and LA could not be considered ultimate sporting cities either because they cannot host much by way of winter sports events (Melbourne might be within a three hour drive of Mount Buller and LA a couple of hours from a number of resorts but, by your criteria, that's far too far away to be counted).

Lastly, if you're eliminating a city because of its geographical unsuitability for certain sports, then you also have to consider that a city can be unsuitable for certain sports simply because there is no interest in those sports in that city. If there is no interest, there will likely be limited facilities and limited numbers of people to compete with or against. Certainly, that is as valid a reason as geography when deciding upon an ultimate sporting city. But, as I said, that's a discussion for another thread. Perhaps you should start one?

"Secondly, you're not saying anything about the cities themselves. You're only talking about the natural geography of the areas they inhabit."

But it all counts. Last time I was in London, it did not have a beach. Now that has to count the same way that Melbourne only having 200 years of existence counts, the same way that Melbourne being no-where near Europe counts. It all comes into play.

Melbourne will soon be home to the Australian Ice Arena, which means it will get its fair share of ice hockey matches and other sports which involve ice. If any of the Australian capitals did ever get to host a Winter Olympics, it would be Melbourne. Yes, it is 3 hours from the snow, however, it is no different to an inland city hosting the Summer Olympics and having to rely on other cities to host the beachside events.

Calm down pal, didn't realise my post would hit such a raw nerve. I said, London is a great stadium city, probably the greatest, but I just don't think it's the ultimate sporting city for reasons already explained. And it never will be. When was the last time London hosted a world class surfing event?
Amaruu no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #237
JimB

Quote:
I'll agree to disagree with Watford, personally I think London is Greater London and no more.

How is Reading part of London's metropolitan area? It's certainly not inside the M25!
You're right that Watford isn't officially in London. As I said, it is not a London Borough.

But, to all intents and purposes, it is a part of London. How else are we to decide a city's extent if we are to ignore criteria such as that Watford is part of a continuous urban sprawl that stretches all the way from central London; or the fact that Watford is on London's Underground system; or that Watford lies within the London Orbital motorway?

The mere fact of Watford's local governmental independence can't change the actual geography.

As to Reading, metropolitan areas are very loose concepts. A metropolitan area is a large population center consisting of a large metropolis and its adjacent zone of influence.

For a more detailed definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_area
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #238
Amaruu
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
i'll say london is the stadium capital of the world(but i am biased there) but LA does have impressive stadia and so does Melbourne.

Thats Funny

But true.
Amaruu no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #239
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
"Secondly, you're not saying anything about the cities themselves. You're only talking about the natural geography of the areas they inhabit."

But it all counts. Last time I was in London, it did not have a beach. Now that has to count the same way that Melbourne only having 200 years of existence counts, the same way that Melbourne being no-where near Europe counts. It all comes into play.

Melbourne will soon be home to the Australian Ice Arena, which means it will get its fair share of ice hockey matches and other sports which involve ice. If any of the Australian capitals did ever get to host a Winter Olympics, it would be Melbourne. Yes, it is 3 hours from the snow, however, it is no different to an inland city hosting the Summer Olympics and having to rely on other cities to host the beachside events.

Calm down pal, didn't realise my post would hit such a raw nerve. I said, London is a great stadium city, probably the greatest, but I just don't think it's the ultimate sporting city for reasons already explained. And it never will be. When was the last time London hosted a world class surfing event?
You still appear to be suffering from the delusion that this is the right thread for a discussion about your so called "ultimate sporting city". It's not. As I said, you're very welcome to start such a thread is you so desire.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #240
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
When was the last time London hosted a world class surfing event?
He's got us now. Melbourne it is then.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  

Closed Thread