daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 20th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #241
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
Calm down pal, didn't realise my post would hit such a raw nerve. I said, London is a great stadium city, probably the greatest, but I just don't think it's the ultimate sporting city for reasons already explained. And it never will be. When was the last time London hosted a world class surfing event?
what are you talking about?? are you on a seperate thread to the rest of us?

we are talking about s t a d i u m s.

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #242
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
MELBOURNE has been named the world's top sports events city, ahead of joint second Paris and Sydney, in the first analysis of its kind.
Melbourne = First. Sydney/Paris = Second. Berlin = Fourth. London = Fifth.

Sporting capital of the world isn't what we're going by. Stadiums = London #1. Melbourne possibly #2.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #243
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

i think melbourne deserves its rightful place on top of that list. in the future London will get higher up that list as it hosts more and more diverse sport events, we just had the World Gymnastic Championship at the O2 Arena just last week. The NFL, NHL and the NBA have all played games in London.

Also once the Olympics come round it would be even better placed.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #244
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

I see LA being the only USA city getting respect but dallas' metro has more stadiums and much newer stadiums. LA can't host a final four and doesn't have an NFL worthy stadium.

Texas Motor Speedway 191,122
Jerryworld(cowboys stadium) 80,000 – 111,000
Cotton Bowl 92,100
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington 49,115
Amon G. Carter Stadium 44,008
Gerald J. Ford Stadium 32,000
Fouts Field, 30,500.
Pizza Hut Park 20,500
Memorial Stadium (Mesquite, Texas) 20,000
Farrington Field 18,500
John Kincaide Stadium 15,000
Maverick Stadium 15,000
John Clark Field 14,442
Herman Clark Stadium Paul Galvan Field 12,000
Dragon Stadium 11,000
Pennington Field 12,000
C. H. Collins Athletic Complex 12,000
Tiger Stadium (Corsicana) 10,001
Midlothian Stadium 8,176
Dr Pepper Ballpark 10,600
Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium 8,330

American Airlines Center 21,041
Super Pit 10,032
Moody Coliseum 8,998
Daniel-Meyer Coliseum 7,200
Dr Pepper Arena 7,000

reunion arena is being demolished so i didnt include it

for a total of 766,665. Those are just the stadiums i found on wiki so might be missing some.

Last edited by weava; October 20th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.
weava no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #245
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
No. Crawley isn't even in Surrey it's in Sussex. Gatwick is considered a London airport only because it's extremely convenient as it is on the direct line to London Victoria. Even then the name doesn't really mean a lot, I believe Oxford airport has now rebranded itself as London Oxford and there was a case a few years ago of Ryanair selling flights to London Prestwick, which is in Glasgow!

London surely stops with the outskirts of Greater London. Watford, Southend and certainly places like Reading aren't part of London.
I know Crawley isn't London proper that wasn't the issue, I said I thought it was in London's metropolitan reach by this I mean that over a certain percentage of the Crawley population commute into London each day, I could be wrong but I always thought it was part of the metro.
Blackpool88 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #246
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Air. race. is. held. over. ocean... people. line. up. on. side. of.... ocean.

Although it isn't classified as a "stadium".As far as I'm concerned, it's as much a "stadium" as a race course or horse racing tack.
Red Bull Air Race World Championship locations:

Austria: Zeltweg
Canada: Windsor, Ontario
Germany: Berlin
Hungary: Budapest
Ireland: County Tipperary
Switzerland: Bern
United Kingdom: County Wiltshire, Kemble, Gloucestershire, River Thames, London
United States: Reno, Nevada, Monument Valley, Detroit, Michigan

None of those places is on an ocean. Monument Valley is a desert.

The ocean isn't a stadium, it's the ocean. Race tracks are structures just like ballgame stadiums, the ocean is just there.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #247
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
I know Crawley isn't London proper that wasn't the issue, I said I thought it was in London's metropolitan reach by this I mean that over a certain percentage of the Crawley population commute into London each day, I could be wrong but I always thought it was part of the metro.
It is, he doesn't understand what a metropolitan area is...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #248
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

As silly as it sounds, Raleigh, NC's metro-area has a lot of stadiums.

Kenan Memorial Stadium 60,000
Carter-Finley Stadium 57,600
Wallace Wade Stadium 34,000
Dean Smith Center 21,750
RBC Center 19,800
Reynolds Coliseum 14,000
Durham Bulls Athletic Park 10,000
O’Kelly-Riddick Stadium 10,000
Cameron Indoor Stadium 9,400
Carmichael Auditorium 8,100
Durham County Stadium 8,000
Dorton Arena 7,610
Koskinen Stadium 7,000
Five County Stadium 6,500
Capital Stadium 6,000
WakeMed Stadium 6,000
Fetzer Field 5,030
Durham Athletic Park 5,000
Method Road Stadium 5,000
Boshamer Stadium 5,000

Obviously, it doesn't win. But it deserves a mention given how little known it is outside of the country.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #249
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post
He's got us now. Melbourne it is then.
Actually..No...
The surfing event that "Melbourne" hosts is the Bells Beach Classic.Bells Beach is over 100km from Melbourne!.Melbourne is probably the major Australian city with the LEAST surf/beach culture.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #250
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Actually..No...
The surfing event that "Melbourne" hosts is the Bells Beach Classic.Bells Beach is over 100km from Melbourne!.Melbourne is probably the major Australian city with the LEAST surf/beach culture.
Your right on that Bells Beach is well out of Melbourne Its not even Part of Geelong. In terms of Melbourne having the least amount of surf/ beach culture. There is certainly a big Beach culture with Popular Beaches all around the bay and now the mornington peninsula is part of Melbourne, and if you ask me Point leo right around to portsea is one of the best surf cultures in Australia and has some of the best most consistant breaks. But you are right the Centre of Melbourne is not set on/near Ocean Beaches like Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth, etc..
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #251
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

About London you forgot the Royal Albert Hall in the list !!!!

5,000 / 8,000 seats

parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #252
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
It is, he doesn't understand what a metropolitan area is...
There's no need to be patronising is there?

Besides:
Greater London Urban Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London_Urban_Area

Greater London
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London

London Commuter Belt/London Metropolitan Area/South-East Metropolitan Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_commuter_belt

None of those have Crawley or Reading in them. According to them London metropolitan area would end in Surrey. Obviously it's not gospel but it seems a pretty good basis to go on. Personally, I like to see London as Greater London and then everything else in it's own right, but if you want to use the metropolitan area as your definition then go ahead, I still completely disagree with towns like Reading, Crawley and Gillingham being included though.

A lot of people do commute to London from Crawley, but people commute ridiculous distances into London on a regular basis. Are we counting Brighton, Southampton and Portsmouth in the London metropolitan area on the basis of commuter travel?
SSE no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #253
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
There's no need to be patronising is there?
Patronising? You're the one who got all high and mighty about people "thinking" Reading and Crawley are a part of London...

Quote:
Besides:
Greater London Urban Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London_Urban_Area
Not the metro are

Not the metro area

Quote:
London Commuter Belt/London Metropolitan Area/South-East Metropolitan Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_commuter_belt

None of those have Crawley or Reading in them. According to them London metropolitan area would end in Surrey. Obviously it's not gospel but it seems a pretty good basis to go on.
erm did you even read that wikipedia page? As far as i am aware we don't define metropolitan areas in this country, that page is a hodge podge of original research and Eurostat.

Anyway it says: "The commuter belt currently covers much of the South East region and part of the East of England region, including the Home Counties of Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Essex."

Thus Reading is included, and it doesn't say Crawley isn't, in fact Crawley is on the border of Surrey and sussex, and gatwick airport (part of crawley) used to be in surrey before the boundary change...

Quote:
Personally, I like to see London as Greater London and then everything else in it's own right, but if you want to use the metropolitan area as your definition then go ahead, I still completely disagree with towns like Reading, Crawley and Gillingham being included though.
What? I didn't start using the metro area, other people did with their cities, and someone else did with London by adding places like Ascot and brands hatch etc

Of course they are not part pof London, they are part of the London sphere of influence, you only have to go to Gillingham/Crawley to see that to see that.

Quote:
A lot of people do commute to London from Crawley, but people commute ridiculous distances into London on a regular basis. Are we counting Brighton, Southampton and Portsmouth in the London metropolitan area on the basis of commuter travel?
As far as i am ware commuting isn't the only reason, however people say that Ashford is now in the London metro because of the 37 minute commuter times available on the Eurostar line...

Last edited by bigbossman; October 20th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #254
Evil Bert

Likes (Received): 0

O2 London Arena is voted best stadium for events in the world. It turns over the most revenue knocking Madison Square Gardens in New York off the top spot. Even the late Michael Jackson wanted to do his last show there.

London has Iconic stadiums that are beautiful and different to the dross that is put up in the USA which I think are quite bland.

eg Lords; Wembley; O2 (millennium Dome); Royal Albert Hall; Wimbledon; Emirates (arsenal); Oval and Ascot which are daring and architecturally brilliant.
Evil Bert no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM   #255
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
O2 London Arena is voted best stadium for events in the world. It turns over the most revenue knocking Madison Square Gardens in New York off the top spot. Even the late Michael Jackson wanted to do his last show there.

London has Iconic stadiums that are beautiful and different to the dross that is put up in the USA which I think are quite bland.

eg Lords; Wembley; O2 (millennium Dome); Royal Albert Hall; Wimbledon; Emirates (arsenal); Oval and Ascot which are daring and architecturally brilliant.
Blimey! That's going to get a reaction from our friends across the pond!

For what it's worth, I have a lot of time for American stadium designers. On the whole, I believe that they come up with more imaginative solutions than their European counterparts.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM   #256
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
To call the vast American stadiums as dross is ridiculous. As a nation no-one comes close to the facilities that America has.

AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:18 AM   #257
bigbossman

I don't think the yanks will take the bait... maybe phriggin' ogre but we'll see...

to call the emirates and wembley iconic is pushing it though evil bert!
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM   #258
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I believe that they come up with more imaginative solutions than their European counterparts.
I have to agree :

Hypo Group Arena, Klagenfurt

Redbull Arena, New York
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:24 AM   #259
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I don't think the yanks will take the bait... maybe phriggin' ogre but we'll see...

to call the emirates and wembley iconic is pushing it though evil bert!
No reason to say that, and you wonder why its hard to discuss anything with you? I agree with him, most stadiums in the US aren't as good as European ones as a whole, but I do believe that no country has a better collection of stadiums than the US. Don't try to twist that paragraph into something else like you've been doing this whole thread.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM   #260
bigbossman

Oh my God... words don't comprehend...

Anyway what makes the US collection better in your head? Because there are more?

Last edited by bigbossman; October 21st, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Closed Thread