daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #321
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyer1000 View Post
the 110, 000 stadium I was refering to was the Cowboys stadium in Arlington which forms part of the Dallas metro area such as university park, Denton, Fort worth, Frisco, etc. It is listed as 80 000 but it can fit 30 000 more with standing room. It has the NFL single game attendance record with 105 121
I was rather dubious as this end....

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8141/1tifotk7.jpg
...only holds 25000, and there's nowhere at all in the stadium with a standing section like that.

A quick search suggests they merely opened up a section outside the stadium and put up tvs showing the game. The stadium itself most certainly does not have standing room for 30,000. It was merely a stunt to break the crowd record.

Besides, I'm still looking for those twenty stadiums in Dallas holding over 10,000 as I can't see them in that list.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #322
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Think london has it. But cowboys stadium having 30,000 people standing outside of the stadium but inside a area to watch a game on tv screens does not count to the total attendance.Sure they had to pay to watch on tv screens but were unable to view the field of play which does not count has attending the game. Also know loads of people that like americans sports. I was at the nfl game in london last week and over the summer I watched an ice hockey game in newcaslte (northern stars. Its not the nhl by any means but still ice hockey) Also like baseball but can't stand basketball which is a sport we had to play in school.
Darloeye no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #323
seyer1000

Likes (Received): 4

I'm just trying to make this thead more interesting otherwise the name of the thread should be changed to London stadium and arena development news.
I really think people are looking past many cities which have a lot of big, important and great stadiums.

I also believe people think london wins easily because by 2012 it will be the only to have hosted 3 olympics and because it has a lot of big and important soccer/football stadiums which is the sport that's the most loved around the world.

I'm not saying London doesn't have great stadiums (we all know it does). But I believe there are many other cities that can at least compete with London
seyer1000 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #324
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Yes there are like only three others that cabn compete in terms of history and diversity.

LA
Melbourne
Sydney

it's quite simple, don't complicate it with back water US cities.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #325
seyer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Yes there are like only three others that cabn compete in terms of history and diversity.

LA
Melbourne
Sydney

it's quite simple, don't complicate it with back water US cities.
No it's not that simple.
You just mentioned London (as everyone else) and two cities from the country where you're apparently from
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #326
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/17...rts-city-award
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #327
seyer1000

Quote:
The events they've held.

I mean London going for their 3rd Olympics
LA has had 2.
Melbourne 1 - but for it's size!

They're all so far ahead of Dallas in diversity and history of sports.
Yeah I think in events held London probably has the edge over everyone else and that's because in England almost EVERYTHING is centralized in London as they already said. For example London is going to host their third olympics but no other English city has ever held the olympics as opposed to the U.S. where 7 different cities (winter and summer) have.

The U.S. appears to want a different city to host the olympics and almost every time there's a different city that shows interest in the olympics like Chicago and New york who where beaten for the next two olympics and for 2020 Dallas has showed interest.

I think this probably has to do with the fact that every city in England is not that far way from London so the people don't have to do a long trip.
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #328
seyer1000

Quote:
You're right AGAIN Melbourne, Sydney and L.A, are all great cities but I think there are more (Athens, Dallas, New York, Mexico city and many others)

The ones you mentioned are great places to host an important sports event. They are mostly sunny with a great climate (melbourne not so great climate but still) a lot of tourism with beaches, with a great economy and infrastucture.
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #329
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Yeah I think in events held London probably has the edge over everyone else and that's because in England almost EVERYTHING is centralized in London as they already said. For example London is going to host their third olympics but no other English city has ever held the olympics as opposed to the U.S. where 7 different cities (winter and summer) have.

The U.S. appears to want a different city to host the olympics and almost every time there's a different city that shows interest in the olympics like Chicago and New york who where beaten for the next two olympics and for 2020 Dallas has showed interest.

I think this probably has to do with the fact that every city in England is not that far way from London so the people don't have to do a long trip.
What you say is 100% spot on, but it only validates why London trumps all others with this specific question.

If you were to ask which country, or even state/region (i.e. Texas, NY tri-state area), then the answer would be very different IMO.

If we were to talk states, I reckon you would be on the money with Texas, although how close would California be?
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #330
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

A "state" would be a pretty meaningless concept considering how widely they vary from nation to nation and that no major event is hosted on a state level.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; November 7th, 2010 at 04:23 AM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #331
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6269

Quote:

You do realise the UK football teams, one for every city, town, village etc. are everywhere, and the most profitable league in the world. The big cities have multiple large stadia, not just London. The National Stadium is in Cardiff, Wales, and the Olympic city bid was Manchester for 2000 (also the winners of the Commonwealth Games in 2002). In 2014 the Commonwealth games city will go to Glasgow.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #332
GideaParkHammer

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
You do realise the UK football teams, one for every city, town, village etc. are everywhere, and the most profitable league in the world. The big cities have multiple large stadia, not just London. The National Stadium is in Cardiff, Wales, and the Olympic city bid was Manchester for 2000 (also the winners of the Commonwealth Games in 2002). In 2014 the Commonwealth games city will go to Glasgow.
Indeed, Greater Manchester seems to have been ignored in this thread despite the region having 4 Premier League stadiums, (Man City, Man Utd, Wigan, Bolton), other lower league stadiums, (Stockport, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, indoor arenas, (MEN, Manchester Central), numerous Rugby venues, Old Trafford Cricket ground, and other arenas like the Velodrome.

I am not saying Manchester is a contender for the title, but it is a major sporting/stadium region.

As a Londoner, I may be biased, but I really can not see past London as the Stadium Capital. It is not just the number of venues, but the history. I am sure it has been mentioned before, but...

Home of Association Football - Wembley
Home of Cricket - Lords
Home of Tennis - Wimbledon
Home of Rugby - Twickenham

Whereas LA has hosted the Olympic Games twice, both times the games have been hosted in the same stadium. London will have hosted it 3 times in 2012, and every games has been at a different stadium.

Playing the Devil's advocate, this history COULD be seen as a curse as London will have 3 stadiums with over 80,000 capacities. Paris has one stadium that can host athletics, football and Rugby whereas London has three to share the "burden". You then tend to think "what is the better system?"

Thankfully, as a lover of stadiums, and one that lets my heart rule my head, I would not want "illogical" London to do anything different.
GideaParkHammer no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #333
NorthDallas

Likes (Received): 0

I counted 20 stadiums in Dallas county alone with or right at 10,000 capacity. Tarrant County(Ft. Worth) having 11, Collin County with 7 and Denton County with 9! This does not even include the American Airlines Center, nor the Dallas or Ft. Worth Convention Centers or the numerous College or University arenas that can hold at least 10,000 people!!

Also.....I just assumed it meant "stadium capitol" as in the most stadiums and best(opinion) stadiums and maybe the most valuable, not the related history of the stadium.
NorthDallas no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #334
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 1325

It's obviously London. Why the hell is anyone arguing any different?
carnifex2005 no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #335
seyer1000

Here are the stadiums in Dallas:

Cowboys Stadium
capacity: 111 000 (30 000 standing)

Cotton Bowl
capacity: 92 000
image hosted on flickr

Amon G. Carter Stadium
capacity: 46 000 (approved rennovation/expansion for 2011)

Gerald J. ford Stadium
capacity: 32 000

Fouts field: 30 500 (horrible and expected to be demolished in 2011 )

New North Texas University Stadium replacing Fouts Field (expected to be ready in 2011)
capacity: 50 000

Pizza Hut Park
capacity: 21 000

Farrington Field
capacity: 18 500

American Airlines center
capacity: 19 200
image hosted on flickr

There's more but Im new here and I suck at finding pictures
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #336
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Its a joke when people class the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington as 110,000 capacity.
Its 80,000 capacity and counting people outside the stadium where they have ZERO chance of seeing the playing field is a pathetic attempt to achieve certain attendance records.

In saying that....Dallas is ok,maybe top10 if they are lucky...London eats all!
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #337
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Tokyo

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #338
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

London, followed by Los Angeles and Melbourne.

For a city of just over 4 million people, Melbourne certainly punches well above its weight. Big stadiums, world class sporting infrastructure..etc.

It could be criticised that Melbourne Olympic Park precinct lacks any history or remains from the 1956 Olympics (except for the Olympic Pool, which is regarded as the first modern Olympic aquatic centre and is now heritage listed), but I believe its a testament to Melbourne not looking back at 1956 but looking forward. Even after the 2006 Commonwealth Games, there still major redevelopment plans that could even assist in an Olympic bid in future decades.

For our size, we have an impressive portfolio. Sydney does too, but I think its less impressive given much of it owes to the 2000 Olympics.
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #339
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

that jumbotron screen at the dallas stadium is incredible
Mr Trebus no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #340
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Here are the stadiums in Dallas:

Cowboys Stadium
capacity: 111 000 (30 000 standing)
As I said earlier, the stadium does not have standing room for 30,000. I doubt it has designated standing room for more than a few hundred at most.

Until you can show where the 30,000 fit inside the stadium, they can't be, by any rational logic, included in the capacity of the stadium.

A stadium's capacity is the number of people it can allow to watch the game at any one time. It is not the number of tickets that you can sell.

Bugbrooke St Michaels FC of the United Counties League could no doubt fit 50,000 into the fields around where they play, but that doesn't give the Birds Close ground a capacity of 50,000.

I also would have thought Fort Worth is its own city, rather than being part of Dallas.

Expanding to the same 40 mile or so radius around London would bring back Ascot Racecourse, as well as Sandown and Epsom racecourses. You'd also have the league grounds of Reading (24,000), Wycombe (10,000), Luton (10,000), Watford (22,000), Stevenage (7000), Gillingham (11,500), Southend (12500) and Essex Cricket ground (7000).

There would also be a multitude of semi-pro grounds, with a 3000-5000 range, but it's not worth listing those.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  

Closed Thread