daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 9th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #341
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

London is impressive especially since the Olympic stadium is coming which will give London four stadia over 60,000 seats (Twickenham (England rugby home), Wembley(home of England football), Emirates (Arsenal FC) and Olympic)with excellent facilities including the worlds most expensive stadium not to mention others such as Chelsea's Stamford Bridge, Tottenham's White Hart Lane, Wimbledon Centre Court and Court One, The Oval cricket ground (Cricket), Boleyn Ground (West Ham United), Loftus Road (QPR), The New Den (Millwall), Brentford FC, Watford, The Valley (Charlton Athletic), Craven Cottage (Fulham) and Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace) but 'pound for pound' (i.e. taking population into consideration, I'd also mention Melbourne, Australia - sports nuts city which includes stadium alley - Melbourne Cricket Ground, The Etihad Stadium, Rod Laver Arena, The new footie stadium I can't remember the name of and another stadium next to that which I also can't remember.
Turbosnail no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #342
seyer1000

Likes (Received): 4

Okay after watching some videos of the Cowboys stadium standing room called party pass I have to agree lot of the people there are just able to watch the screens but I guess we should still not count it as an 80 000 stadium because people in the first rows of each level might be able to watch the field which should increase the capacity from 80 000 to 90 000 or something like that.

Sorry for posting 110 the truth is that I went to a game there last year and I loved it and was impressed by the stadium size, it looked really BIG and I never noticed the people in the party pass couldn't see much. I thought the floor there would have some slight inclination.
seyer1000 no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #343
seyer1000

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trebus View Post
that jumbotron screen at the dallas stadium is incredible
Yeah it's awesome and sometimes you can see the replays in 4 different angles at the same time and you can still get a great view.
seyer1000 no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #344
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9710

Yeah, yeah: everything is bigger in Texas...

BUT...but everything is posh in France :

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
My vote goes to London of course....
...but here are the sports venues in Paris :

Stade de France, 81,000

Parc des Princes, 49,000 (50/53,000 in 2012/13)

Arena 92 (approved), 32,000

Stade Jean-Bouin (approved), 22,000

Stade Sébastien-Charléty, 21,000

Stade Robert-Bobin, 19,000

Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, 16,000

National Handball Arena (project), 15,000

Roland Garros, Court Philippe-Chatrier, 15,000

Roland Garros, Court Central (approved), 15,000

Stade Olympique Yves du Manoir (Colombes), 14,000 (will be replaced by the National Handball Arena in 2013)

Vélodrome Olympique Jacques-Anquetil, 14,000

Stade Duvauchelle, 13,000

Stade Bauer, 12,000

Roland Garros, Court Suzanne Lenglen, 10,000

Stade de Marville, 10,000

Stade Pierre de Coubertin, 5,000

Palais des Sports, 5,000

Palais des Sports de Levallois, 5,000

Roland Garros, Court n°1, 4,000

----------------------------

Hippodrome de Vincennes, 60,000

Hippodrome de Longchamps, 50,000

Hippodrome d'Auteuil, 45,000

Hippodrome d'Enghiens, 20,000

Hippodrome de Maison Laffitte, 20,000

Hippodrome de St-Cloud, 15,000

So, Paris wins, doesn't it ???
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #345
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6249

nah,

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=286
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #346
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyer1000 View Post
Okay after watching some videos of the Cowboys stadium standing room called party pass I have to agree lot of the people there are just able to watch the screens but I guess we should still not count it as an 80 000 stadium because people in the first rows of each level might be able to watch the field which should increase the capacity from 80 000 to 90 000 or something like that.
You may be able to get 10000 people on them, but if people can't actually watch the game on 95% of the surface then 95% of the surface isn't really part of the "capacity".

Quote:
Sorry for posting 110 the truth is that I went to a game there last year and I loved it and was impressed by the stadium size, it looked really BIG and I never noticed the people in the party pass couldn't see much. I thought the floor there would have some slight inclination.
With an inclined floor it'd be lethal. Even without one, standing areas with poor views and no concept at all of safety like that were swept away 100 years ago in other parts of the world. It's actually quite remarkable it's allowed.

It is a terrific stadium though. If the world cup goes the the USA in 2022 then I'd love to go to a game there.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #347
chrisbramley85
www.myspace.com/50caliber

Likes (Received): 2

this is such a hard argument.

a lot of places in america have a lot of stadiums but then compared to England or Australia it has a much vaster population.

in my opinion London would win due to the levels of which sport is competed.

you have the massive stadium such as Wembley and Twickenham, big grounds owned by the clubs who play there such as the Emirates and Stamford Bridge in the premier league , quite a few 20,000+ grounds in the first and second and third tier of association football (such as West Ham's Boleyn Ground, Charltons Valley, Millwall's New Den etc) , and this goes all the way down to the bottom professional league (Dagenham & Redbridge, Barnet) aswell as dozens and dozens of grounds belonging to smei professional teams such as Dulwhich Hamlet, Hendon, Hampton & Richmond, Clapton. And thats just football.

you have Lords and the Oval for cricket (two of the oldest and most iconic grounds in the world), aswell as dozens of cricket grounds around greater london that occasionaly host county cricket (Ilford is the only one that springs to mind now), most of these can easily fit a few thousand people on grass verges and temporary stands.

As for Rugby, you have The Stoop (home of Harlequins), The Sports Ground (home of Wasps), Madejski Stadium (home of London Irish, whihc admittedly is in Reading but that counts as London Metro).

Tennis, we have Queens club and of course the world renowned wimbledon (the competition EVERY tennis player in the world dreams of winning)

and on top of that there is The o2, Wembley arena and Earls Court Arena, Crystal Palace Athletics.

i think due to the amount of stadiums, most of which are attended on a very regular basis, (many of them have been continually attended for almost 100 years) all of which essentially (apart from a few in the metro area) are in a city thats less than 30miles wide. that, along with the history make London my bid for sports capital of the world.

while i see the argument for some of the american cities such as dallas or LA, i genuinly believe that the above points are something that these cities dont have. i mean many american grounds are very well attended, and have been for many many years, but i think the main one for me (which is something i believe england wins hands down over a lot of countries around the world) is the levels of which these sports are supported.

football being my main example of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English..._league_system

when you consider JUST the top 7 levels of Football in england consists of 270 teams.

London and Greater London football teams

Premier League:
Arsenal
Chelsea
Fulham
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham

Championship:
Crystal Palace
Millwall
Queens Park Rangers

League One:
Brentford
Charlton
Dagenham & Redbridge
Leyton Orient

League Two:
Barnet

Conference National:
Hayes & Yeading
AFC Wimbledon

Conference South:
Bromley
Hampton & Richmond
Welling

Isthmian League:
Carshalton
Cray
Kingstonian
Harrow
AFC Hornchurch
Sutton
Wealdstone
Tooting & Mitcham

Isthmian League Division one North:
Enfield
Hillingdon
Ilford
Leyton
Molesey
Northwood
Redbridge
Thamesmead
Waltham Forest
Wingate & Finchley

Isthmian League Division One South:
Corinthian Casuals
Croydon
Dulwich Hamlet
Metropolitan Police

thats 40 football teams within the m25 ring road. all of which have a ground capacity of 3000 minimum. and all of which have their own ground i believe, except Dulwhich Hamlet who share their ground Fisher FC, and Bromley and Cray FC who share the Courage Stadium.

You show me ANY city in the world that has a pedigree as class as that. and thats just for ONE sport!!
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #348
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

New York/North Jersey

Yankee Stadium (New York Yankees, Pinstripe Bowl) 52,325:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Football setup:

Boxing setup:
image hosted on flickr

Citi Field (New York Mets) 41,800

image hosted on flickr

New Meadowlands Stadium (New York Giants, New York Jets, Big City Classic, Superbowl XLVIII) 82,566

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Madison Square Garden (New York Rangers, New York Knicks, New York Liberty, Big East Men's Basketball, St. Johns University) 20,789
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Prudential Center (New Jersey Nets, New Jersey Devils, Seaton Hall University, NJIT, New York Liberty) 18,500
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (New York Islanders, New York Majesty) 16,250
image hosted on flickr

Red Bull Arena (Red Bull New York) 25,189
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Izod Center (Vacant) 20,049

Rutgers Stadium (Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football) 52,454
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Louis Brown Athletic Center (Rutgers Scarlet Knights Basketball/Wrestling) 8,000

Radio City Music Hall (New York Liberty) 6,015

Richmond County Bank Ballpark (Staten Island Yankees) 7,171
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

MCU Park (Brooklyn Cyclones) 7,500
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Arthur Ashe Stadium (US Open) 22,547

Basketball:

Louis Armstrong Stadium (US Open) 10,200

Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium (Colombia University) 17,000

Icahn Stadium (FIFA Qualified) 5,000

And I'm sure theres a ton more I can't even think of...
Anubis2051 no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #349
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Rutgers is in North Jersey?
koolio no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #350
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Rutgers is in North Jersey?
Yup, main campus is in New Brunswick with a satellite campus in Newark.
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #351
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
As I said earlier, the stadium does not have standing room for 30,000. I doubt it has designated standing room for more than a few hundred at most.

Until you can show where the 30,000 fit inside the stadium, they can't be, by any rational logic, included in the capacity of the stadium.

A stadium's capacity is the number of people it can allow to watch the game at any one time. It is not the number of tickets that you can sell.

Bugbrooke St Michaels FC of the United Counties League could no doubt fit 50,000 into the fields around where they play, but that doesn't give the Birds Close ground a capacity of 50,000.
Couldn't agree more, by Dallas logic, when Wales play England in the 6 Nations we could put a gate at each end of St Mary Street and Westgate Stree surrounding the Millennium Stadium, call it a party zone and have probably 200000-250000 people in attendance.
Welshlad no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #352
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

London, Los Angeles, and Melbourne. No one else comes close.
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #353
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
What does LA have that New York Doesn't? With the exception of the Staples Center, all of LA's Stadiums are more than 45 Years old, where as in New York, within the next 5 years every major stadium and arena with the exception of the IZOD center will either been built or refurbished within the last decade. Everything in NYC is state of the art, and there's more of them than in LA.
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #354
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
LA is FAR from being the stadium capital of even the US
weava no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #355
lizayuen

Likes (Received): 5

In terms of sheer numbers and capacity, Los Angeles would be my guess? Because LA has a large venue.

-------------
William Shakespeare 15641616 GrandScale Sculptural Bust

Last edited by lizayuen; November 24th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
lizayuen no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #356
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Please don't take anything I wright the wrong way.
I am only going to talk about the 3 cities that have been discussed most (London, LA and Melbourne) and am not trying to make any judgement as to what is the 'stadium capitol'.
I think to justify the name 'stadium capitol of the WORLD' you need to look at more than the amount and size of the stadiums but at there significance to world sport. in this case (sorry americans) but I would have to say that most American cities fall down in this respect as most significant stadiums in america are built for American Football, Baseball and basketball which are all good sports and popular in America but quite frankly no one outside of the US gives a toss about them. due to this I wont include anything about those sports just as I wont discuss anything to do with Australian football.
LA is probably an exception to this rule as it has hosted 2 Olympics and a world cup therefor many of its sporting grounds hold significance.
I will just look at melbourne for a start, the only stadiums wich hold any sort of significance are listed below. there are obviously many other stadiums for domestic sport (AFL, A League, NRL, Cricket, VFL, etc...) but does anyone outside of Australia really care about Docklands, AAMI park, etc...? nope
Melbourne has MCG (100,000) Which has hosted the Olympics, Commonwealth games, first cricket test match. Rod laver arena/melbourne park, Australian Open. Kooyong ex Aussie open. Flemington racecourse, Melbourne cup. Albert park, F1 grand prix.
Same could be done for london, Wembley, Lords, Wimbledon, etc.. are the recogniseable stadiums. The league stadiums really mean nothing.
So I think when trying to look at what makes a city a sporting capitol of the WORLD and not just of the country you have to look at the icons rather than the sheer amount.

By the way I looked at melbourne just because I know it not because I think it is the capitol.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #357
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Yeah, Melbourne is certainly not "Stadium" capital of the world though it would be one of the top "Sports" Capitals with many claiming from in and outside Australia that it is the top sports city.

For a City of 3.9 million Melbourne has an incredible amount of quality Sporting infrastructure, still it can be argued that the like's of Sydney which isn't much larger and other comparable sized former Olympic cities have a similar amount of broad venues. Sydney probably pips Melbourne in the quantity of quality as the suburban venues have continued to be used thus maintained at 15 000 plus capacities while the former VFL grounds have been left to become rundown and overgrown or to be transformed by developers.

Last edited by Walbanger; November 17th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #358
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
LA is FAR from being the stadium capital of even the US
I dont think any city in America can beat LA. I think the NY region might be close.

Just off the top of my head, major arenas and fields, nevermind the numerous places under 10,000 seats. ...

Staples Center - 19,000
Forum - 17,500
Sports Arena - 17,000
Pauly Pavillion - Is being renovated - 13,000
Galen Center - Brand new - 11,500
Ontario Center - Brand new - 11,000
Anaheim Pond - 17,000
Dodger Stadium - partly renovated, more to come - 56,000
Angel Stadium - renovated - 45,000
Hollywood Park
Santa Anita Park
Rose Bowl - renovations start in Jan - 92,000
Colosseum - 92,000
UCLA Tennis Center - 6000
Home Depot Center Soccer Stadium - new - 27,000
Home Depot Center Tennis Stadium - 13,000
Home Depot Center Track and Field Stadium - 20,000 permanent seats
Irwindale Speedway -
California Speedway - 100,000
Coming soon a new 80,000 seat event center.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #359
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
...The league stadiums really mean nothing.
Stadiums of some of the worlds biggest and most popular teams in the sport which is by far the biggest and most popular on this planet certainly mean nothing.

Please..
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #360
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I dont think any city in America can beat LA. I think the NY region might be close.

Just off the top of my head, major arenas and fields, nevermind the numerous places under 10,000 seats. ...

Staples Center - 19,000
Forum - 17,500
Sports Arena - 17,000
Pauly Pavillion - Is being renovated - 13,000
Galen Center - Brand new - 11,500
Ontario Center - Brand new - 11,000
Anaheim Pond - 17,000
Dodger Stadium - partly renovated, more to come - 56,000
Angel Stadium - renovated - 45,000
Hollywood Park
Santa Anita Park
Rose Bowl - renovations start in Jan - 92,000
Colosseum - 92,000
UCLA Tennis Center - 6000
Home Depot Center Soccer Stadium - new - 27,000
Home Depot Center Tennis Stadium - 13,000
Home Depot Center Track and Field Stadium - 20,000 permanent seats
Irwindale Speedway -
California Speedway - 100,000
Coming soon a new 80,000 seat event center.
You forgot Titan Stadium (10,000) and Weingart Stadium (22,335)
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Closed Thread