daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 14th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #21
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Yup, the parameters are sketchy.

And yes, Dodgers stadium is considered "a cathedral" of baseball.
Remember, the OG Yankee Stadium is gone, only the memories remain, and a new very expensive replica

In baseball, talk to any aficionado and three stadiums come to mind; Fenway, Wrigley and Dodger Stadium. Three jewels that are irreplaceable and incomparable.
Okay. I'll give you Dodger stadium. I bow to your superior baseball knowledge!

I would still say that LA is short of London for worldwide iconic stadia, though.
JimB no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #22
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 461

Avellaneda, Buenos Aires, of course

Old October 14th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #23
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Is this about football stadia only, or sport stadia in general, because if this is the case then Athens can be in the poll, with the abnormal concentration of most prime athletic facilities of an entire country into one city. And by 2011 home of 3 UEFA elite stadiums.
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #24
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Okay. I'll give you Dodger stadium. I bow to your superior baseball knowledge!

I would still say that LA is short of London for worldwide iconic stadia, though.
ok, you give me that, and I give you London.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #25
gho

Likes (Received): 43

It would have to be London, because nobody seems to share stadiums in that city, they all build there own (even if its down the road in the case of Chelsea and Fulham).

American and Australian cities cant compete because of the multiple tenants stadiums have due to government funding of stadiums (i personally think its a better use of resources and gets a better quality stadium). Melbourne, which may have the best sporting facilities, has 9 AFL teams sharing 2 stadiums with the cricket, soccer and rugby teams.
gho no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #26
danVan

Likes (Received): 180

London:

All from wiki.
danVan no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #27
lemog

Likes (Received): 644

Rio de Janeiro has a lot of football stadiums, most are small and old, but quite charming.

Actually there is an old discussion on which city has the highest number of football clubs, Rio, Buenos Aires and London are the ones with the most, Buenos Aires wins if you count the whole metropolitan area I think.
lemog no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #28
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Definitely not New York.

I'd vote for London...
sbarn no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #29
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

I'll give my vote to Landshark Stadium (the stadium seems to change names every time i see a game there)

The Stadium is the home of NFL, NCAA, & MLB regular seasons, the Orange Bowl, NFL superbowls, BCS championships, next years NFL Pro Bowl game, 2 World Series', World Baseball Classic, ect.

I have probably watched more games on TV in this stadium than any other stadium.
weava no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #30
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
I'll give my vote to Landshark Stadium (the stadium seems to change names every time i see a game there)

The Stadium is the home of NFL, NCAA, & MLB regular seasons, the Orange Bowl, NFL superbowls, BCS championships, next years NFL Pro Bowl game, 2 World Series', World Baseball Classic, ect.

I have probably watched more games on TV in this stadium than any other stadium.
Read the thread...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #31
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

london and LA
corredor06 no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #32
ormey

Likes (Received): 11

london by a long way its has over 20 clubs in the vicinity and loads of sporting arenas
ormey no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #33
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7147

I'm not exactly a sport freak, but London is widely known for its stadiums.

So I'd say London.
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #34
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Read the thread...
I did read the thread, and i chose a single stadium as capital since it seems to host more important games from many sports than anywhere else. I didn't give my vote to London just because they have several big newer soccer stadiums, they have absolutly no importance to me and I've never seen a game hosted in any of them.
weava no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #35
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
I did read the thread, and i chose a single stadium as capital since it seems to host more important games from many sports than anywhere else. I didn't give my vote to London just because they have several big newer soccer stadiums, they have absolutly no importance to me and I've never seen a game hosted in any of them.
Only American sports though it has never really hosted anything of international significance.
Many stadiums have held far more Important internationaly significant events.
For Example
MCG has hosted 1956 Olympics, 2006 Chmmonwelth games, The Ashes, Football internationals, Rugby internationals as well as nationaly significant events such as AFL Grand Final
LA Memorial Coliseum has hosted two Olympics
Those were just the First two which sprang to mind but there are many more which have far greater history and significance than Landshark Stadium such as Wembley, Maracana, etc..
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #36
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
My point was that you're asked to pick a city boosted by its stadia, not a stadium which hosts many events. How did you not realize this?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #37
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Only American sports though it has never really hosted anything of international significance.
Many stadiums have held far more Important internationaly significant events.
For Example
MCG has hosted 1956 Olympics, 2006 Chmmonwelth games, The Ashes, Football internationals, Rugby internationals as well as nationaly significant events such as AFL Grand Final
LA Memorial Coliseum has hosted two Olympics
Those were just the First two which sprang to mind but there are many more which have far greater history and significance than Landshark Stadium such as Wembley, Maracana, etc..
So hosting an olymipic games once or twice makes a stadium more worthy than one that hosts worlds 3 largest sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NCAA)on a daily/weekly basis plus all the championship games on a yearly bases?
weava no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #38
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Las Angeles

It has to be LA for sure.
if your counting suburbs as well.....

Auto Club Speedway

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
Home of 2 Olympics

Rose Bowl

Dodgers Stadium

Angels Stadium

Home Depot Center

Staples Center

Honda Center

Pauley Pavilion

Galen Center

Santa Anita Park (horse racing)

Weingart Stadium
Ganis no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #39
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
So hosting an olymipic games once or twice makes a stadium more worthy than one that hosts worlds 3 largest sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NCAA)on a daily/weekly basis plus all the championship games on a yearly bases?
Correction: The United States' largest sports leagues. I find it hilarious the ignorance of that statement considering you didn't even list the american sports league with the largest global audience (NBA). Still puny compared to the UEFA Champions League.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #40
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
3 Largest sports leagues. Nobody outside of America follows either of those sports let alone leagues. One isn't even professional. I'm sorry but that sort of comment is what has given the US such a bad reputation worldwide. Complete ignorance of anything outside of your country.

Sorry if I offended any Americans by this. I do know that you also happen to have a lot of very smart people and you are not all this ignorant.
mvictory no está en línea  

Closed Thread