daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #501
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 917
Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
If Farmers field gets built then LA becomes the clear leader, but at the moment LA can't host a final four or superbowl and Dallas can so Dallas gets the edge IMO. I also have no connection to either city so I feel my opinion is unbiased.
The Final Four I'll give you, but L.A. can host a Super Bowl. Just because the NFL is busy rewarding Super Bowls to recently built new stadiums doesn't mean L.A. "can't" host. The Rose Bowl is a fine Super Bowl venue--especially now with it being renovated with new suites, clubs and HD scoreboards.

IMO Dallas not being able to host the Olympics is "worse" than L.A. not being able to host the Final Four.
Marckymarc no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #502
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,753
Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
The Final Four I'll give you, but L.A. can host a Super Bowl. Just because the NFL is busy rewarding Super Bowls to recently built new stadiums doesn't mean L.A. "can't" host. The Rose Bowl is a fine Super Bowl venue--especially now with it being renovated with new suites, clubs and HD scoreboards.

IMO Dallas not being able to host the Olympics is "worse" than L.A. not being able to host the Final Four.
The LA Colosseum can't fit a track anymore.
weava no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #503
Marckymarc
Namasté
 
Marckymarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 917
Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The LA Colosseum can't fit a track anymore.
It would be a relativity easy fix to build a temporary raised field back up to the old elevation. If L.A. were awarded another games that's exactly what would be done. Anyway a moot point. Who knows how many years before L.A. would host again even if they were interested.
Marckymarc no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #504
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,208
Likes (Received): 432

London is likely the stadium capital, but BA certainly looks very close behind.

The main reason I see London ahead is it's broader mix of sporting venues. If there was a football stadium capital, it would likely be BA though

Melbourne, for as much as I love this city, is not in the same league when it comes to a stadium capital. The sporting capital possibly yes, but as it uses 2 venues (MCG and Etihad) extensively, the variety of facilities is limited.

Some major venues in Melbourne now include:

MCG
Etihad Stadium
Melbourne Park (Rod Laver Arena and Hisense)
MRS (AAMI Park)
Royal Park (State Netball and Hockey Centre)
Albert Park (MSAC and State Athletics Centre)

Over the years, the Australian Rules Football venues throughout the suburbs have been all but abandoned, leaving them as training venues or have been left completely.

As someone said earlier, Melbourne is good at maximizing usage of a few venues
__________________
"They say you flirt with Sydney, but you marry Melbourne", Mr Choong - SP Setia President (Quoted from AFR 21st July, 2011).
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #505
West12Rangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Posts: 214
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
London is likely the stadium capital, but BA certainly looks very close behind.

The main reason I see London ahead is it's broader mix of sporting venues. If there was a football stadium capital, it would likely be BA though

Melbourne, for as much as I love this city, is not in the same league when it comes to a stadium capital. The sporting capital possibly yes, but as it uses 2 venues (MCG and Etihad) extensively, the variety of facilities is limited.

Some major venues in Melbourne now include:

MCG
Etihad Stadium
Melbourne Park (Rod Laver Arena and Hisense)
MRS (AAMI Park)
Royal Park (State Netball and Hockey Centre)
Albert Park (MSAC and State Athletics Centre)

Over the years, the Australian Rules Football venues throughout the suburbs have been all but abandoned, leaving them as training venues or have been left completely.

As someone said earlier, Melbourne is good at maximizing usage of a few venues

like i said,Melbourne is up the more practical sports capital,all modern,all within spitting distance of each other,all near the city centre
London's are all spread all over the place
West12Rangers no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #506
ElvisBC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 597
Likes (Received): 253

London
ElvisBC no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #507
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
When did the boxes over the clock go up? That would probably have reduced the capacity.
I think they went up in 1988, as you can see in this video they are up for the norwich game in towards the end of 1988/89 (skip to 1m25s)



Our highest crowd of that season was 45,129 against Spurs, whereas in 87/88 we got the highest crowd in the whole league 54,703 vs Liverpool. I can't imagine how the boxes knocked off 10,000 places though (especially considering it was before hillsborough).
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #508
kerouac1848
Registered User
 
kerouac1848's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NW London
Posts: 3,641
Likes (Received): 1543

How times change. Crazy seeing Leeds and Chelsea in the same division as Walsall and (!) Shrewsbury. I'm sure the latter slipped out of the FL not that long ago and i don't even remember when they were above the basement.

Always liked how the Clock End had the boxes stacked on two decks, looks better than a single tier of boxes strung around the ground IMO.
kerouac1848 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #509
Rev Stickleback
Registered User
 
Rev Stickleback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,107
Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I think they went up in 1988, as you can see in this video they are up for the norwich game in towards the end of 1988/89 (skip to 1m25s)



Our highest crowd of that season was 45,129 against Spurs, whereas in 87/88 we got the highest crowd in the whole league 54,703 vs Liverpool. I can't imagine how the boxes knocked off 10,000 places though (especially considering it was before hillsborough).
Crowds were much lower back then, and rather more volatile. You could pay on the day at virtually any league game, so not getting another 54000 in 88/89 doesn't indicate a 10,000 drop, but the pillars and loss of space at the back of the terrace might account for a 3000 loss.

There was also a review of safety after the Bradford fire, which looked at safety exits as well as fire hazards.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #510
bigbossman
Registered User
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South East London
Posts: 3,408
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
Crowds were much lower back then, and rather more volatile. You could pay on the day at virtually any league game, so not getting another 54000 in 88/89 doesn't indicate a 10,000 drop, but the pillars and loss of space at the back of the terrace might account for a 3000 loss.

There was also a review of safety after the Bradford fire, which looked at safety exits as well as fire hazards.
As far as I know the poppelwell report (the review you talk about) didn't affect Arsenal any reductions in capacity made by the club were voluntary. Having said that the capacity wasn't reduced, I missed our cup crowds of that season and we got 54,103 in the league cup 3rd round against Liverpool.

My point came across wrong I was just confused that we couldn't break 46,000 for a league game in 1988/89 (the season when we won the league) considering we pulled two 50,000+ crowds the season before when we came far lower. Highbury held a maximum of 57,000 at the time of Hillsborough, the reductions happened after when the corners of the clock end were chopped off.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #511
jwmann2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7
Likes (Received): 0

New york is you count the surrounding New Jersey area as well as long island. They have like eight franchises.
__________________
FromThisSeat.com
jwmann2 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #512
blurros2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Likes (Received): 1

According to http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com you can say London is the stadium capital of the world. English are totally football mad
blurros2 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #513
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,754
Likes (Received): 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurros2 View Post
According to http://www.stadiumzone.weebly.com you can say London is the stadium capital of the world. English are totally football mad
Not just football (whether rugby or soccer) - there's a high interest in cricket and tennis in the summer as well, and of course we have the Olympics next year as well.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #514
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,754
Likes (Received): 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
New york is you count the surrounding New Jersey area as well as long island. They have like eight franchises.
Some of these share facilities though.

If you count the whole New York metropolitan area, there's:

MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford (82,566)
- New York Giants (NFL)
- New York Jets (NFL)

Yankee Stadium, The Bronx (50,291)
- New York Yankees (MLB)

Citi Field, Queens (41,800)
- New York Mets (MLB)

Red Bull Arena, Harrison (25,189)
- New York Red Bulls (MLS)

Madison Square Garden, Manhattan (19,763)
- New York Knicks (NBA)
- New York Rangers (NHL)

Prudential Center, Newark (18,711)
- New Jersey Devils (NHL)
- New Jersey Nets (NBA)

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Long Island (16,250)
- New York Islanders (NHL)

That's nothing compared to the stadia in London.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #515
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Some of these share facilities though.

If you count the whole New York metropolitan area, there's:

MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford (82,566)
- New York Giants (NFL)
- New York Jets (NFL)

Yankee Stadium, The Bronx (50,291)
- New York Yankees (MLB)

Citi Field, Queens (41,800)
- New York Mets (MLB)

Red Bull Arena, Harrison (25,189)
- New York Red Bulls (MLS)

Madison Square Garden, Manhattan (19,763)
- New York Knicks (NBA)
- New York Rangers (NHL)

Prudential Center, Newark (18,711)
- New Jersey Devils (NHL)
- New Jersey Nets (NBA)

Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Long Island (16,250)
- New York Islanders (NHL)

That's nothing compared to the stadia in London.
you're leaving out a bunch of venues:

- Barclays Center
- Rutgers High Point Solutions Stadium
- USTA National Tennis Center

Don't forget all the minor league parks such as Keyspan, St. George, FirstEnergy, Riverfront, TD Bank, etc..
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #516
PadArch
Registered User
 
PadArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 948
Likes (Received): 47

I hate myself for reading this thread...leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. cynics would say, what can we expect from sports fans! What is it about these things that makes people so jingoistic.. One thing that puts me off watching football (soccer) in pubs for instance is the idiots I have to share my space with to do so. This thread simply reminded me of that - the worst aspects of sport, and struggles to make a case instead for the best aspects.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big sports fan.. But I hate the way people have this jingoistic attitude. I find some of the comments from Europeans/Australians about American sports unbelievable.. and that is coming from someone with very little interest in American Sports - at least I respect them and see their merit and the quality of the support they get in the States..
PadArch no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #517
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,754
Likes (Received): 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII
you're leaving out a bunch of venues:

- Barclays Center
- Rutgers High Point Solutions Stadium
- USTA National Tennis Center

Don't forget all the minor league parks such as Keyspan, St. George, FirstEnergy, Riverfront, TD Bank, etc..
True, but I was really just countering the "there's like eight franchises" comment.
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #518
WorldCupWatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 77
Likes (Received): 0

Stadium capital gotta be New York City. They have 4 of the most expensive stadiums in the world.
WorldCupWatcher no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #519
OldKool
Muaah!
 
OldKool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow, Hong Kong
Posts: 1,120
Likes (Received): 1280

I don't know about others but Delhi is big at stadiums in South Asia with sevral wo0rld class stadiums of all disciplines and many new on their way...plus many small veues in almost every college and university and hordes of Golf Courses and Go karting venues.

Existing Stads


Buddh International Circuit- 120,000


GN International Cricket Stadium-100,000 (u/c)



Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex-60,000+2,000+2,500


FSK CRicket Stadium- 50,000

Thyagaraj Sports Complex-5,000

IndiraGandhi Indoor Sports Complex-15,000 + 7,000 + 4,000

SPM Swimming Complex-6,000


Talkatora Indoor Boxing Stadium-3,500

National Hockey Stadium-22,000

Siri Fort Sports COmplex-7,500+4,500

Doctor Karni Shooting Complex-4,000

RKK Tennis Complex-5,000

Yamuna Sports Complex- 6,000

Delhi Univ. Rugby Stadium- 10,000


Shivaji Stadium- 7,500

GN Cricket Stadium- 12,000
OldKool no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #520
LosAngelesSportsFan
Moderator
 
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,962
Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCupWatcher View Post
Stadium capital gotta be New York City. They have 4 of the most expensive stadiums in the world.
yes cause thats the only criteria.....

New York is probably top 5 in this category but definitely not above London, LA and Melbourne
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu