daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #61
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7199

After seeing all these pics, London is definitely the capital in that aspect.

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #62
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
If you include stadiums within a half or so so of London, you could add:

KRBS Priestfield Stadium - Gillingham
Roots Hall - Southend
Kenilworth Road - Luton
Adams Park - Wycombe (home of London Wasps rugby team)
Madejski Stadium - Reading (home of London Irish rugby team)

And the MK Dons' stadium in Milton Keynes isn't exactly far away either (and let's not forget that they were originally a London club).
Dartford FC, too. Little but fabulous.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #63
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

And if you're going to post the London 2012 stadium, you might as well add the new permanant aquatics centre, velodrome and handball arena to the list!

And you forgot the ground of the mighty Bromley FC
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #64
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

Crystal Palace Athletics stadium:

What is going on in this picture?
JYDA no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #65
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Japan, South Korea, and many Latin American countries follow baseball.
Which puts it into the top three leagues in the world? If any American sport is followed internationally it is Basketball not baseball and certainly not American Football and even then there are many football leagues more important and supported than any of them.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #66
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

many latin american countries?

I can think of 4 of any real significance- Cuba, Domincan Rep, Panama and Venezuela.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #67
Kenni
What?

And Nicaragua.
Kenni no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #68
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Which puts it into the top three leagues in the world? If any American sport is followed internationally it is Basketball not baseball and certainly not American Football and even then there are many football leagues more important and supported than any of them.
League with largest total season attendence in world: MLB 79,502,524 (and its not even close, the NBA comes in 2nd with just over 21 million)
League with highest average attendence: NFL: 68,240
NCAA FBS total season attendence: 37,483,158 (17 teams average over 80,000 per game and 5 teams will average over 100,000 per game this year)

No Soccer league in the world even comes close to those numbers.
weava no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #69
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
League with largest total season attendence in world: MLB 79,502,524 (and its not even close, the NBA comes in 2nd with just over 21 million)
NCAA FBS total season attendence: 37,483,158 (17 teams average over 80,000 per game and 5 teams will average over 100,000 per game this year)

There's no doubt that American professional sports franchises and college teams are very well supported. I think it would be amazing to sample the atmosphere at a College football game, especially - not to mention the tailgating!

Thing is, though, Superbowls and World Series aside, there isn't a truly global interest in American sports outside of America.

Unlike, say, the Premier League in England or La Liga in Spain, which have a global audience of billions all over the world.

So getting back on track, I have to repeat that, for all that Landshark is a busy stadium, it (or even the city of Miami) could never be accurately described as the stadium capital of the world.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #70
bigbossman

Quote:
League with largest total season attendence in world: MLB 79,502,524
1. Total attendance, come on now... you are counting people more than once
2. Each of the 30 teams plays 81 home games.

Quote:
(and its not even close, the NBA comes in 2nd with just over 21 million)
1. total attendnace, come on now...
2. Each of the 30 teams plays 41 home games

Quote:
32 professional teams in a country of 300+ million. Only one of those teams plays in a metro of less than a million.

They play 8 home games a season

Quote:
around 6 home games a season. (some less, one or two more)
State universities have massive alumni and they are the pro teams in many cities/states

I mean the only reason Nebraska has sold out for 40 odd years is because that's all nebraska has got...

Quote:
Yes because the most populated FOOTBALL country is only a developing nation and has a population 2/3 yours.

The next has less than half your population.

Don't even try and compare to England, Spain, Germany, Italy, the netherlands etc.

Those numbers you posted are not impressive at all
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #71
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

Great attendances indeed but the interest outside of the states is very limited.

Football is the sport of our world and always will be
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #72
bigbossman

Quote:
There's no doubt that American professional sports franchises and college teams are very well supported. I think it would be amazing to sample the atmosphere at a College football game, especially - not to mention the tailgating!
When you take into account population and amount of games, it isn't that impressive.

Although the Florida state intro is mildly entertaining, although the PA guy playing that "tomahawk chop" song every other play sort of summed it up

Quote:
Thing is, though, Superbowls and World Series aside, there isn't a truly global interest in American sports outside of America.

Unlike, say, the Premier League in England or La Liga in Spain, which have a global audience of billions all over the world.
You know what, i'd take the non global audience if it meant there was less money in the game. I can't stand all the rediculous man united/real madrid/chelsea fans who die for the cause in the far east etc... inflating everything and creating a rediculous wealth gap that needs crooked billionaires, unruly banks and fake sheihks to remedy!

Quote:
So getting back on track, I have to repeat that, for all that Landshark is a busy stadium, it (or even the city of Miami) could never be accurately described as the stadium capital of the world.
Not one place in the states would, but tbf to them it's all because of their sports business model, it's all about the benjamins...!!!!
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #73
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I find the supposed world renownedness of London's stadiums dubious since I never, ever, ever hear a single thing about any of them, aside from Wimbledon, in the (admittedly American) media. LA's stadia are, on the other hand, featured constantly in the (again, admittedly American) media.

Of course this might work both ways and no one abroad ever hears about the Rose Bowl or Dodger Stadium too.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #74
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I find the supposed world renownedness of London's stadiums dubious since I never, ever, ever hear a single thing about any of them, aside from Wimbledon, in the (admittedly American) media. LA's stadia are, on the other hand, featured constantly in the (again, admittedly American) media.

Of course this might work both ways and no one abroad ever hears about the Rose Bowl or Dodger Stadium too.
It's understandable, though I'm surprised that you've never heard of Wembley.

What you have to remember is that football (what you call soccer) is a genuinely global game. And the Premier League is a genuinely global TV phenomenon. So, even though America has understandably decided that it has quite enough sports of its own and doesn't need to buy into the idea of the Premier League to any great extent, you should know that most of the rest of the world does. And, therefore, England's (and London's) Premier League stadiums are world famous.

As to other sports, the 82,000 capacity Twickenham is still, I think, the largest rugby specific stadium in the world. It also has special significance as the home of the nation that gave the sport to the world (in much the same way as Wembley is the home of the nation that gave soccer to the world and Wimbledon is the home of the nation that gave tennis to the world).

And then there is Lords - yes, you guessed it, the home of the nation that gave cricket to the world. Every cricketer around the world dreams of playing one day at Lords.

I could go on but I hope that that gives you a flavour of the global renown of London's stadiums. LA has great stadiums, as does almost every city in the US. You are blessed in that respect. The fact that your stadiums tend not to be as famous or as recognizable around the world as, say, many of London's stadiums is a consequence of the isolated nature of American sports rather than any reflection on the stadiums themselves.
JimB no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #75
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:

I live in the same state as you and I've heard of near every football ground listed and a couple others, too. This "arrogantly ignorant American" act has to stop around here. You claiming not to know Wembley does not degrade its stature in the world. Acknowledge that we live in a bubble and take that into consideration here. Earth and the United States are not synonymous.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #76
mvictory

Quote:

In the Australian media i hear more about the stadiums in Geelong and Woolongong than either LA or London but it doesnt mean they are even anywhere near as big/important. It is natural to hear more about your own countries stadia as most popular sport is domestic competition.
On top of that England and the US follow different sports Wembley, Twickenham, Lords and Wimbledon are some of the most important venues in the world for there respected sport just as the LA memorial colluseum, Rose bowl, etc.. are.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #77
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
In the Australian media i hear more about the stadiums in Geelong and Woolongong than either LA or London but it doesnt mean they are even anywhere near as big/important. It is natural to hear more about your own countries stadia as most popular sport is domestic competition.
On top of that England and the US follow different sports Wembley, Twickenham, Lords and Wimbledon are some of the most important venues in the world for there respected sport just as the LA memorial colluseum, Rose bowl, etc.. are.
Of course everyone hears more about their own regional stadia but this thread is entitled "Stadium capital of the world", not "Most famous stadiums that Americans have heard of".

I find it hard to believe that anyone calling themselves a 'sports fan' hasn't heard of Wembley stadium. Especially a sports fan who frequents these forums I suspect someone is telling porkies.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #78
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

******* A... another thread turned into "Bash America's awesome leagues" by Bigboss.

You must have no life since this is like the 14th thread you've done that to.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #79
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriggin' Ogre View Post
******* A... another thread turned into "Bash America's awesome leagues" by Bigboss.

You must have no life since this is like the 14th thread you've done that to.
No post in this thread has trashed any league only said that they are not the most important and popular in the world. Hardly trashing.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #80
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
No post in this thread has trashed any league only said that they are not the most important and popular in the world. Hardly trashing.
Saying that nobody cares about a sport outside the U.S. isn't bashing? I guess since you're an Australian agreeing with a Brit, it makes you right? I think its funny how you disgregard basketball (North America, some Latin American countries, China, Europe), Baseball (South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Latin America, North America), football (the most profitable league in the world, huge in the US, Canada, and growing in many parts of Mexico).

And after showing some rather impressive stats, and disregard them simply because its not big in Europe?
Quote:
I'm sorry but that sort of comment is what has given the US such a bad reputation worldwide. Complete ignorance of anything outside of your country.
What a retarded thing to say.... the most ignorant comment in this whole thread, is ironically ranting about ignorance.

Seriously, soccer is an amazing global sport, but the few trolls here seriously need to shut the **** up and stay on topic.

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 16th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  

Closed Thread