daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #141
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Phriggin' Ogre you just get it do you. Nothing I said was bashing the USA. The AFL and NRL over in Australia are extremely popular, there are 9 AFL teams in Melbourne with a population of only 4 million and the average attendance is over 40,000. Those I think are pretty impressive stats but how many people do you see claiming it is the greatest league in the world. none. And you know why? Outside of Australia nobody gives a rats arse about it, and we know it. The only point I have tried to make in thes thread is that American sports do not have much international appeal, so the statement that they are the greatest leagues in the world is very ignorant. Obviously you are to insula and wound up in America is no.1 crap to understand that.
mvictory no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #142
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Phriggin' Ogre you just get it do you. Nothing I said was bashing the USA. The AFL and NRL over in Australia are extremely popular, there are 9 AFL teams in Melbourne with a population of only 4 million and the average attendance is over 40,000. Those I think are pretty impressive stats but how many people do you see claiming it is the greatest league in the world. none. And you know why? Outside of Australia nobody gives a rats arse about it, and we know it. The only point I have tried to make in thes thread is that American sports do not have much international appeal, so the statement that they are the greatest leagues in the world is very ignorant. Obviously you are to insula and wound up in America is no.1 crap to understand that.
Holy shit, and you call me ignorant? Learn to read for the love of christ. The NBA (or basketball) has 200 million fans in China, fans in Argentina, Europe, Canada, the US, Australia... thats not international? Baseball is huge in Carribean countries, Mexico, Venezuela, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, the US, Canada...


Maybe you should learn a thing or two before saying things like that. Maybe you don't get it... its not just soccer thats played across oceans...


even then, it doesn't matter if its popular around the world or not, they're still powerful leagues. I don't know why you guys are making this into more than it is. If every soccer league in Europe was one, that would be the world's most powerful league, but thats not the case. Name me a league that has as many attendances, averages as high, and rakes in the most profit. Does it make the leagues good? Thats subjective, but you can't deny the numbers.

You guys are very ignorant, and arrogant. Its pretty pathetic that no one can distinguish a league from a sport or a country. I've said many times that I don't even care for baseball, but to deny that its popular outside the US is just stupid. I never once mentioned that any American league was the "greatest" I've already defined my version of "powerful". Yet for some reason none of you can understand that.

EVeryone knows that Europe is crazy for futbol and that their leagues have insane support, but does the premiership get as many spectators as the NBA? No... does it profit as much as the NFL? No. Does it average more than baseball? No. Does it bring more money than any of them? No. So why can't I call any of the American leagues more profitable/higher attended?

Now, if all the leagues were counted as one, then I'm pretty sure it would be a big fat YES... but its not. You guys don't know what a league is? Its not the same as a sport.

No matter how much spin you put in it, they still are the most attended, highest profit making leagues in the world. If you don't call that impressive then you've probably got a superiority complex. I'm sure theres hundreds of reasons behind the fact, but its still a fact.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 02:31 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #143
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

as I said in nearly every post American leagues are very big and powerful there is no disputing that. All I am arguing is that they a comment saying they are the greatest leagues in the world cannot be justified. I would say the same to a claim that the English Premier League is the greatest in the world. The fact is no League is the greatest in the world NFL, EPL, IPL, MLB, AFL, Super 14 are all great leagues. It is just that YOU have made this more than it is by not accepting that America is not the great powerful ruler of the world that you are adament it is.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #144
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
as I said in nearly every post American leagues are very big and powerful there is no disputing that. All I am arguing is that they a comment saying they are the greatest leagues in the world cannot be justified. I would say the same to a claim that the English Premier League is the greatest in the world. The fact is no League is the greatest in the world NFL, EPL, IPL, MLB, AFL, Super 14 are all great leagues. It is just that YOU have made this more than it is by not accepting that America is not the great powerful ruler of the world that you are adament it is.
What the **** are you smoking? I just told you that I never said any of the leagues were the "greatest" jeesh learn to read, I've only said it about 3 times in this thread. Look, you were proven wrong, so why don't you just shut up? Does it offend you?

You're getting me mixed up with another guy, or you're just stupid. I find it personally offensive that you belittle Latin America's, Southeast Asia's, and North American's taste in sports simply becuase you don't like them. And ending with that last sentence just cements how ignorant you are and obviously trying to make this into something it is not. Don't get "powerful" and "greatest" mixed up. The MLB is one of the most powerful leagues in the world and ******* boring as hell.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth?


I just checked the whole thread, and the only time I said "great" was in reference to an Olympic stadium.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #145
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,882
Likes (Received): 6445

Well Australia has the highest sporting participation / observation per capita in the world.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #146
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Well Australia has the highest sporting participation / observation per capita in the world.
Is that a fact? It wouldn't surprise me, though. Just looking at the large number of sports venues in Melbourne is enough evidence.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #147
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,882
Likes (Received): 6445

Yeah, it's fact. We have a lot of per capita records to do with sporting (i.e. Most sporting success per capita, most golf courses per capita, etc). It's too bad a lot of our sports have really low salary caps, to the point which you can just about make more money being a plumber... It turns people off competing in national leagues. That doesn't appear to be a problem in the States with gargantuan amounts of money offered to athletes (A. Rod, Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tiger Woods)

On the whole American sporting leagues. Don't forget that in the 1990's Basketball was one of the most watched sports on TV, and amature Basketball is still one of the most played sports in Australia and the world. It's more widespread than what people give it credit for.

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; October 18th, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Edited spelling mistakes. lol
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #148
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Yeah, it's fact. We have a lot of per capita records to do with sporting (i.e. Most sporting success per capita, most golf courses per capita, etc). It's too bad a lot of our sports have really low salary caps, to the point which you can just about make more money being a plumber...

On the whole American sporting leagues. Don't forget that in the 1990's Basketball was one of the most watched sports on TV, and bmature Basketball is still one of the most played sports in Australia and the world. It's more widespread than what people give it credit for.
THANK YOU!!!


/rant over




Anywho, the OZ's have the most sporting success per capita? How is that figured out, out of curiosity. My guess wouldve been Cuba or those Samoan states (the average samoan is almost 250x more likely than anyone else to be an NFL player!).
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #149
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriggin' Ogre View Post
What the **** are you smoking? I just told you that I never said any of the leagues were the "greatest" jeesh learn to read, I've only said it about 3 times in this thread. Look, you were proven wrong, so why don't you just shut up? Does it offend you?

You're getting me mixed up with another guy, or you're just stupid. I find it personally offensive that you belittle Latin America's, Southeast Asia's, and North American's taste in sports simply becuase you don't like them. And ending with that last sentence just cements how ignorant you are and obviously trying to make this into something it is not. Don't get "powerful" and "greatest" mixed up. The MLB is one of the most powerful leagues in the world and ******* boring as hell.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth?


I just checked the whole thread, and the only time I said "great" was in reference to an Olympic stadium.
Alright mate by the way it wasn't you who said great you just butted in later on. I never criticised anyones taste in sport I merely said they are not the most popular sports in the world. I don't see the point in arguing with you any more, it is obvious you don't have a point and just resort to name calling and twisting peoples words to make it look bad. I have said all I need to say.
Lets get back on topic
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #150
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Yeah, it's fact. We have a lot of per capita records to do with sporting (i.e. Most sporting success per capita, most golf courses per capita, etc). It's too bad a lot of our sports have really low salary caps, to the point which you can just about make more money being a plumber... It turns people off competing in national leagues. That doesn't appear to be a problem in the States with gargantuan amounts of money offered to athletes (A. Rod, Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter, Shaquille O'Neal, and Tiger Woods)

On the whole American sporting leagues. Don't forget that in the 1990's Basketball was one of the most watched sports on TV, and bmature Basketball is still one of the most played sports in Australia and the world. It's more widespread than what people give it credit for.
I think New Zealand is beating us in that now. I remember we were second to them in the olympics.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #151
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Alright mate by the way it wasn't you who said great you just butted in later on. I never criticised anyones taste in sport I merely said they are not the most popular sports in the world. I don't see the point in arguing with you any more, it is obvious you don't have a point and just resort to name calling and twisting peoples words to make it look bad. I have said all I need to say.
Lets get back on topic
Keep in mind I only "butted in" after I read about 20 posts (from the same handful of people) bashing US sports, and you posted some of them. I quoted you many times, so I don't have to twist words. Why can't you just admit (like your fellow OZ) that its not just European soccer thats popular worldwide?


You mentioned that no one outside Australia gives a crap about the NRL, yet its aired on primetime in one of the U.S.'s most popular channels... I'm pretty sure they're aired in the UK somewhere...

Hell they air NFL games in Australia, and I seriously thought no one liked it outside the U.S.

But Basketball and Baseball ARE very international... all you have to do is look at the players... like half of them are from outside the country!
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 03:06 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #152
SpicyMcHaggis
Registered User
 
SpicyMcHaggis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,953
Likes (Received): 1789

Congrats on ruining what could've been great thread. This isn't thread for "which sport is bigger".

Seriously dude... what's your problem... you have been arguing with everyone.

Post stadiums and discuss them or got away. No one cares about "which league is bigger" and which sport is international.
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #153
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,882
Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriggin' Ogre View Post
THANK YOU!!!

/rant over

Anywho, the OZ's have the most sporting success per capita? How is that figured out, out of curiosity. My guess wouldve been Cuba or those Samoan states (the average samoan is almost 250x more likely than anyone else to be an NFL player!).
The sporting per capita figure is generally governed by the position you end up with at the Olympic Games, amongst other games and sports. Here's some figures I managed to find, can provide source if required.

Sporting Success - Olympics :

1.) Australia - 411,326 (49 medals - 20,155,000)
2.) Cuba - 417,370 (27 medals - 11,269,000)
3.) Estonia - 443,333 (3 medals - 1,330,000)
4.) Slovenia - 491,750 (4 medals - 1,967,000)
5.) Jamaica - 530,200 (5 medals - 2,651,000)
6.) Latvia - 576,000 (4 medals - 2,307,000)
7.) Hungary - 594,000 (17 medals - 10,098,000)
8.) Greece - 695,000 (11 medals - 11,120,000)
9.) Bulgaria - 643,833 (12 medals - 7,726,000)
10.) Belarus - 650,333 (15 medals - 9,755,000)

OLYMPIC GAMES

2008 Beijing.

Rank--Country--Gold--Silver--Bronze--Total

1 - China (CHN)----------51--21--28----100
2 - United States (USA)--36--38--36----110
3 - Russia (RUS)---------23--21--28----72
4 - Great Britain (GBR)---19--13--15-----47
5 - Germany (GER)-------16--10--15----41
6 - Australia (AUS)-------14--15--17----46


2004 Athens

1 - United States--36--39--27----102
2 - China----------32--17--14----63
3 - Russia---------27--27--38----92
4 - Australia-------17--16--16----49


2000 Sydney

1 - United States--36--24--31----91
2 - Russia---------32--28--28----88
3 - China----------28--16--15----59
4 - Australia-------16--25--17----58

COMMONWEALTH GAMES

2006 Melbourne

1 - Australia------84--69--68----221
2 - England-------36--40--34----110
3 - Canada-------26--29--31 -----86
4 - India---------22--17--11-----50
5 - South Africa--12--13--13-----38


2000 Manchester

1 - Australia------82--62--63----207
2 - England-------54--52--60----166
3 - Canada-------31--41--46 ----118
4 - India----------30--22--17-----69
5 - New Zealand--11--13--21-----45

Phew. That took longer than expected. Well as you can see, Australia in the past decade has constantly performed better than any country of similar population

-----

Point is, to be successful in a lot of sports you obviously must have up-to-date facilities and training. Crowds help push athletes that extra mile and that is what makes a city or country a sporting capital . You must be good at sports to enjoy them, at least I think so.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #154
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Congrats on ruining what could've been great thread. This isn't thread for "which sport is bigger".

Seriously dude... what's your problem... you have been arguing with everyone.

Post stadiums and discuss them or got away. No one cares about "which league is bigger" and which sport is international.
How did I ruin it if there were at least 4 people bashing another country's sports prior to me posting anything? Whenever I tried to get on topic, others would just drag it on. Just becuase you don't care, doesn't mean you're right. Plus, I never mentioned that ANY of America's sports were bigger than soccer, not once. You along with others in this thread need to get some fat, thick glasses. Iether that, or like others, you don't know the difference between a league and a sport.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #155
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
The sporting per capita figure is generally governed by the position you end up with at the Olympic Games, amongst other games and sports. Here's some figures I managed to find, can provide source if required.

Sporting Success - Olympics :

1.) Australia - 411,326 (49 medals - 20,155,000)
2.) Cuba - 417,370 (27 medals - 11,269,000)
3.) Estonia - 443,333 (3 medals - 1,330,000)
4.) Slovenia - 491,750 (4 medals - 1,967,000)
5.) Jamaica - 530,200 (5 medals - 2,651,000)
6.) Latvia - 576,000 (4 medals - 2,307,000)
7.) Hungary - 594,000 (17 medals - 10,098,000)
8.) Greece - 695,000 (11 medals - 11,120,000)
9.) Bulgaria - 643,833 (12 medals - 7,726,000)
10.) Belarus - 650,333 (15 medals - 9,755,000)


Point is, to be successful in a lot of sports you obviously must have up-to-date facilities and training. Crowds help push athletes that extra mile and that is what makes a city or country a sporting capital . You must be good at sports to enjoy them, at least I think so.
Is that number the population/metal? Looks like its just above Cuba.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #156
Dimethyltryptamine
Registered User
 
Dimethyltryptamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,882
Likes (Received): 6445

Yeah, It's population per medal.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #157
AdidasGazelle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 5

Someone on this thread needs to see a doctor. Quickly.

Imagine being in his company in a pub






I asked if it could stay on topic but I wasn't confident it could. The usual suspect made sure of that.

Carry on.........
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #158
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post
Someone on this thread needs to see a doctor. Quickly.

Imagine being in his company in a pub






I asked if it could stay on topic but I wasn't confident it could. The usual suspect made sure of that.

Carry on.........

What was the point of that post? read your pm, you could've said this to other people, too... why just me? You haven't said anything productive in this thread except incite responses like this. Or did you think I forgot that you were bashing US sports, too?


Keep in mind that all this essentially started becuase people were saying that no US city could be the stadium capital becuase no one likes US sports outside the U.S.... and you were one of them.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 04:43 AM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #159
mvictory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 334
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
What was the point of that post? read your pm, you could've said this to other people, too... why just me? You haven't said anything productive in this thread except incite responses like this. Or did you think I forgot that you were bashing US sports, too?


Keep in mind that all this essentially started becuase people were saying that no US city could be the stadium capital becuase no one likes US sports outside the U.S.... and you were one of them.
Actually it started with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
So hosting an olymipic games once or twice makes a stadium more worthy than one that hosts worlds 3 largest sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NCAA)on a daily/weekly basis plus all the championship games on a yearly bases?
When it was pointed out that it is difficult to justify these as the worlds 3 largest sports leagues especially NCAA many Americans became defensive.

Several American cities could be considered as a sporting capital due to amount of sport and sports infrastructure in them, especialy LA. How about we make a list of about 10 front runners and turn this into a poll.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #160
Phriggin' Ogre
American't
 
Phriggin' Ogre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Posts: 727
Likes (Received): 2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Actually it started with this post.



When it was pointed out that it is difficult to justify these as the worlds 3 largest sports leagues especially NCAA many Americans became defensive.

Several American cities could be considered as a sporting capital due to amount of sport and sports infrastructure in them, especialy LA. How about we make a list of about 10 front runners and turn this into a poll.


Los Angeles
Mexico city
Buenos Aires
Melbourne


I don't even know if I can come up with 10, since theres a pretty big drop off from the top handful, unless someone can prove me wrong. I can't think of many that can even match Los Angeles, let alone London.
__________________
Let your mind be the canvas painting light in the dark
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu