daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #161
SpicyMcHaggis

Likes (Received): 1789

Athens
SpicyMcHaggis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #162
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

You could add New York and Sydney
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #163
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMcHaggis View Post
Athens
True, one can argue this. It definetly has the history with a nice array of stadiums.

New York city/New Jersey isn't too shabby either.

Giants Stadium 80,242
Yankee Stadium 52,325
Citi Field 41,800
Aqueduct Race Track 40,000*
Arthur Ashe Stadium 22,547
Izod Center 19,968
Madison Square Garden 19,763
Prudential Center 18,000
Louis Armstrong Stadium 10,000

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some. NYC also has the New Meadowlands stadium under construction. Are all the ones from London within city limits?
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #164
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Sydney Cricket Ground - 46,000
ANZ Stadium - 83,500-110,000
Sydney Football Stadium - 45,500
Brookvale Oval - 23,000
Toyota Stadium - 22,000
CUA Stadium - 21,000
WIN Jubilee Oval - 20,541
Concord Oval - 20,000
Parramatta Stadium - 20,000
Campbelltown Stadium - 20,000
Leichhardt Oval - 22,750
Drummoyne Oval - 5,000
North Sydney Oval - 20,000
Bankstown Oval 8,000

Total = 403,791

I know there's more sporting venues in Sydney, but I can't find them. These are from the trusty Wikipedia...
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #165
Fortyfiver

Likes (Received): 11

I nominate Houston, Texas for spending approx $800 million to build three major league stadia between 2000 and 2003. These venues were not really needed, but their predecessors were said to be outdated (i.e they didn't have enough highly profitable luxury boxes) by the team owners who wished to maximize their income at the public's expense.

The owner of the then Houston Oilers (football) was the first to try this tactic, but apparently he and the mayor didn't get on, so the Oilers didn't get a new stadium, and the owner took them away to Tennessee in a huff, where they are now known as the Titans. The owners of the Astros (baseball) and the Rockets (basketball) then demanded new stadia for their teams, and the city got cold feet, so Minute Maid Park (yes, really!) and the Toyota Center were built in short order. At the same time the NFL awarded a new franchise to Houston to replace the Oilers, and Reliant Stadium was built in the Astrodome parking lot.

Houston wants desperately to be a "world-class city", but is terrified that outsiders might see it as a city of oilfield trash who got lucky. Hence these pharaonic expenditures, and the neglect of more necessary, but unflashy, services such as public transportation and libraries. And please don't tell me about the Main Street streetcar - that and more should have been built 20 or 30 years ago, and might have been, except for the fanatical opposition of public transport opponents (probably financed by the oil industry).
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #166
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phriggin' Ogre View Post
What was the point of that post? read your pm, you could've said this to other people, too... why just me? You haven't said anything productive in this thread except incite responses like this.
Oh the irony!

I can't see why you included my MLB statement into the bashing. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed an opinion! You brought up the NHL, but perhaps you don't realise the relevance of my avatar to a North American sport?

You still haven't answered my query about NFL teams having competition with teams in other leagues. I didn't want to assume so that's why I asked. Maybe it's because you don't have an answer? or the answer isn't favourable?
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #167
RobH

Likes (Received): 10337

Fvcking hell, what a pointless thread this is.

The answer is London by the way

But the last 4 pages? Blimey!
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #168
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Oh the irony!

I can't see why you included my MLB statement into the bashing. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed an opinion! You brought up the NHL, but perhaps you don't realise the relevance of my avatar to a North American sport?

You still haven't answered my query about NFL teams having competition with teams in other leagues. I didn't want to assume so that's why I asked. Maybe it's because you don't have an answer? or the answer isn't favourable?
Damn, give it a rest already. Its bashing becuase youre belittling, simple as that. Whether its your opinion or not.. and you kept it up for a while. To answer your question... theres the AFL, UFL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS...ect. I know someone mentioned that none of those overlap, but they couldn't be farther from the truth. Theres always 3 or so major leagues going on, with many more semi-pro and college leagues. Right now a third into the season, the NFL is overlapping with the MLB, NHL and once those are done, it'll overlap with NCAA basketball and the NBA.

And seriously, what the hell was the point of provoking me? Have you not forgotten that this whole mess was started by 5 people (none of them called ogre, and you being one of them)? Sounds like a good case of "selective reading" to me... and honestly, I don't see the point of your reply. If I said "In my opinion, the European leagues aren't that impressive, and this is why" you would all be pretty pissed and call me ignorant... yet, most people being *******s to me in this thread did the very thing.

Funny how its okay for you to downplay American sports popular in many parts of the world as "just your opinion", but whatever I say gets turned into some wierd American superiority complex thing. Evident by the fact that most people giving me shit are offended by things I didn't say, nor implied... they just assumed.

Now be a good boy and get back on topic. All this hypocrisy is giving me a headache... plus I want to see if any city comes close to London. If you and the other people here really want to believe that no one likes American sports, and that they're all poor with low attendances, then so be it. I know I'm not the ignorant one. I don't want to get brigged or banned, and this whole damn debate got turned into something much more than just league talk. Its really not worth getting further into. An OZ and a Canadian agree with me, and thats good enough for me.

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Phriggin' Ogre no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #169
Dimethyltryptamine

Every Stadium in Melbourne(Including Flemington Race Course (130,000))
Total Capacity : 906,247

Every Stadium in London
Total Capacity : 645,250

Every Stadium in Sydney
Total Capacity : 862,500

Every stadium in Los Angeles
Total Capacity : 331,000

----

I've a feeling these numbers are wrong. I'll still post them anyway, in the off chance they're correct.

Source ~ Word Stadiums
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #170
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Every Stadium in Melbourne(Including Flemington Race Course (130,000))
Total Capacity : 906,247

Every Stadium in London
Total Capacity : 645,250

Every Stadium in Sydney
Total Capacity : 862,500

Every stadium in Los Angeles
Total Capacity : 331,000

----

I've a feeling these numbers are wrong. I'll still post them anyway, in the off chance they're correct.

Source ~ Word Stadiums
What was your cut off? 20,000? 10,000? If 10,000, the Los Angeles area should be around 570,000 and the Bay Area (San francisco, san jose, oakland) should be close to 450,000

Now, I must say, that Sydney and Melbourne just impressed the lights out of me. Seattle's was decent for its size, with about 280,00 seats, but came nowhere near the Australian cities!

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #171
Dimethyltryptamine

Counted every stadium right down to those with a capacity of 1,000. Did this for each city. :p
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #172
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Counted every stadium right down to those with a capacity of 1,000. Did this for each city. :p
Ah. Well then I wouldn't be surprised if the LA metro reached 600-650K. Its a little tricky because half of the venues aren't in the city itself, but its never ending sea of suburbs. I'm sure that this will increase the numbers for other cities as well.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #173
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

If this is about capacities there is no point in arguing the numbers don't lie. If its about sports in general and history, its debatable, at least lets make a poll.
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #174
Dimethyltryptamine

Quote:
Ah. Well then I wouldn't be surprised if the LA metro reached 600-650K. Its a little tricky because half of the venues aren't in the city itself, but its never ending sea of suburbs. I'm sure that this will increase the numbers for other cities as well.
Yeah. Well LA didn't seem have many stadiums, not according to World Stadiums. I would have counted close-by suburbs had I known which they were. Perhaps someone in the city of Angels could do that for me.

The two main stadiums in LA which showed up were the LA Colosseum (93k) and Dodger Stadium (56k).

Sydney itself has something like 41 Stadiums and Sporting Arenas.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #175
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

Every city that has hosted Olympics has a wider range of sporting facilities, Sydney no exception.
ReiAyanami no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #176
Dimethyltryptamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
Every city that has hosted Olympics has a wider range of sporting facilities, Sydney no exception.
Well, LA has also held the Olympics, twice in fact yet I can only manage to find 13 Stadiums in LA.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #177
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
If this is about capacities there is no point in arguing the numbers don't lie. If its about sports in general and history, its debatable, at least lets make a poll.
I figured a combination of numbers + history/culture + variety of venues. The history/culture would be hardest to decide, I'd just go by the events the stadium has held and/or how long theyve been around.

but I think variety is important, having a large number of events and sports really helps.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #178
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Damn, give it a rest already. Its bashing becuase youre belittling, simple as that. Whether its your opinion or not.. and you kept it up for a while. To answer your question... theres the AFL, UFL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS...ect.
I was referring to the same sport. For example, Londoners (and most other English cities) have a choice of watching Premier League, Championship, league 1, league 2 or 'non-league' football on a Saturday afternoon.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #179
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
I was referring to the same sport. For example, Londoners (and most other English cities) have a choice of watching Premier League, Championship, league 1, league 2 or 'non-league' football on a Saturday afternoon.
Depends... it can be a big "YES" or a huge "NO"!

In terms of viewership, virtually none. In terms of competing for tickets, then the NCAA and a handful of other non-differential leagues. In fact, congress made it illegal for the NFL to compete with highschool games (also a huge draw, but paying 5-10 dollars a game isn't much competition to begin with) and I think to a lesser extent college games. Depending on where and when the games are being played.

On the other hand, college games can cost anywhere between 45 dollars to 90 dollars for general seating... hell the SEC (a college conferance) has some teams that charge over 100 dollars. So if you had to choose between a local college team and watching an NFL team, it would be very costly. Most colleges have free admissions for students, though... so that really helps keep capacities almost always full.

fyi, the US has almost 350 teams in Division 1 (the largest schools), with about 50 college football programs that have similar attendances and profit as smaller NHL and European teams.. with many times more teams in other divisionsl with big regional following. So yes, the NCAA is a MAJOR, and I mean MAJOR competitor.

heres links to maps of D1 and D3 schools (couldn't find D2 )

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...otball_map.gif

anywho, sorry for the long distraction.

Last edited by Phriggin' Ogre; October 18th, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #180
limerickguy

Likes (Received): 107

Dublin city has around 250,000+

this includes all stadiums down to 3000 capacity and indoor arenas

i know im missing loads!
limerickguy no está en línea  

Closed Thread