daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > North Africa > Egypt > Construction, infrastructure & development > Transport & Infrastructure Projects & News | اخبار المشروعات التحتية والنقل

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #1
UAE_isthebest

Likes (Received): 23

Egyptian Railway News

New Trains are going to be delivered to the Egyptian Railways.

Here is a photo of the new Trains:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...289359&nseq=50

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=265746&nseq=2

They look ok. The design is not very modern and streamlined but I like the colors and the trains look quite strong and not like fragile plastic train things. It's nice to see new trains for Egypt. It's very needed. Railway system in Egypt is quite bad. They could learn from Maroc, Algiers and Tunisia. I hope that Egypt is going to improve it's railway infrastructure.

This threat is not only about these new Trains but all news about the Egyptian Railway system So if you have any news please place it in this threat

Salaam

Last edited by UAE_isthebest; July 7th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
UAE_isthebest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1300

Thanks for the thread!!

But those trains look horrible, they decided to use ugly american style trains instead of the cool european ones lol. We really should have learnt from Algeria, their new railway system is amazing! But I guess these trains are definitely better than the old ones.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
D K

Likes (Received): 368

I think the first train is for freight...?
By the way, Egypt's geography (main cities and population alongside the Nile with no mountains in that area) should make railway the most appropriate way of transportation.
D K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
UAE_isthebest

Uhm the Black,white,red trains are for freight and the blue trains are for passengers I think
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #5
D K

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE_isthebest View Post
Uhm the Black,white,red trains are for freight and the blue trains are for passengers I think
OK but I see only coaches. No new cars?
D K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #6
egypt69

Egypt may build Aswan-Sudan rail link

Quote:
Egypt is considering building a $500 million rail link from the southern city of Aswan to a north Sudanese border town, in a move that would connect the two countries' rail networks.

The line would connect Aswan to Wadi Halfa on the Sudanese border and would pass through the Egyptian town of Abu Simbel. –Reuters
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #7
UAE_isthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt69 View Post
Egypt may build Aswan-Sudan rail link

That would be nice ... I thought there was somewhere a news article about a highspeed railway between Cairo and Sharm el sheikh? Am I right?
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8
egypt69

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE_isthebest View Post
That would be nice ... I thought there was somewhere a news article about a highspeed railway between Cairo and Sharm el sheikh? Am I right?
Nope never heard of it... I wish it happens though, it would be very useful
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #9
egypt69

I saw Transport Minister Mohamad Mansour on El Beit Beitak yesterday, they were talking about these new trains, they showed videos of them adn stuff. But I stil think their UGLY! But they look good from inside though. If we were gonnna invest the money why couldn't we get some sleek European trains??
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Yes, I agree with Egypt69.

Qatar for example is using German technology to develope its transportation masterplan and its lightrail/heavyrail routes, stations, etc.

So why shouldnt Egypt use German technology aswell ??? maybe after doing that they could connect the Egyptian system with the Gulf system (The Gulf Cooperation Council agreed to have rail systems connect the countries together this means Saudiarabia - Qatar - UAE - Bahrain - Kuwait - Oman are all connected together in one big system) so all egypt does is slip a rail link into this system and now i can travel from Qatar to Cairo by rail =D LOL
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #11
egypt69

Whats even stranger is that, Egypt partnered with Spain to develop its railway, so where did these american trains come form? look at articles I posted in the "Egypt Project News" thread about the recent Egyptian-Spanish developments.

Wait a minute, are these trains freighter or passenger trains??? If they are freighter than I think the passenger trains will be European
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #12
egypt69

Transportation Minister Discusses with Spain the Establishment of a Rapid Train between Upper Egypt Governorates and Red Sea Cities

Quote:
Egypt's Transportation Minister Mohamed Mansour is to meet with his Spanish counterpart José Blanco as well as Silvia Iranzo, Secretary of State for Trade and the person responsible for the financial aspect of bilateral relations.

They are going to discuss ways of boosting cooperation to establish a rapid train linking Upper Egypt governorates with those along the Red Sea.

The aim is to secure and revitalize the tourist traffic between Egypt's eastern coasts and the archeological antiquities in Luxor and Aswan.

Before leaving for the Spanish capital on a four-day official visit, the transportation minister said railways, roads and bridges would top the agenda of the bilateral meetings with Spanish officials.

He said roads and bridges needed technical support in order to maintain and boost the operational efficiency of the roads belonging to the Ministry of Transportation.

"Spain has made remarkable progress in transportation projects over the past two decades. They have the better network of freeways in the world and the most modern technology to set up, run and maintain these networks and to offer advisory services in this regard," Mansour added.

He stressed that Spain had provided its advisory expertise for Egyptian roads and bridges to turn Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road into a freeway according to international specifications.

The minister pointed out that the door was open for Spanish companies to invest in the different transportation sectors in Egypt and that the ministry was keen to let Spanish investors play a key role in supporting developmental transportation and infrastructure projects.

He finally said Spain was the third country in terms of volume of foreign investments and its experiences could be useful to develop transportation projects in Egypt.

I don't think there are American style rapid trains, these gotta be European ones
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #13
egypt69

Egyptian National Railways completes commissioning of GE locomotives

Quote:
EGYPT. GE Transportation and the Egyptian National Railways (ENR) announced that the 80th and final Evolution Series locomotive has been commissioned and was officially released to ENR at the end of June. The commissioning process prepares locomotives to be released for revenue service.

The locomotives have been successfully hauling freight and transporting passengers over the past several months and have logged tens of thousands of kilometers and transported hundreds of thousands of passengers.

This is the ENR’s first order of GE’s Evolution Series, the most technologically advanced diesel electric, heavy-haul locomotive in the world.

“The Evolution Series locomotives sold by GE Transportation to the Egyptian National Railways provide a platform for rail growth, grounded in high tractive effort, fuel savings and future emissions reductions,” said Lorenzo Simonelli, President and CEO of GE Transportation.

“This is one more milestone in a long and fruitful relationship with the Egyptian National Railways.”

“This is our first order of GE Evolution Series locomotives and I am pleased to mark this milestone,” said ENR Chairman, Engineer Mahmoud Sami. “The Evolution Series locomotives will provide us with a platform to grow our rail sector.”

Best in class fuel efficiency and lower emissions

The Evolution Series locomotives will improve the efficiency of ENR’s operations in several ways. The locomotives provide best in class fuel efficiency, as they have electronic fuel injection, which is superior to mechanical fuel injection, a 40-year-old technology used on previous locomotives. In head to head tests with competing products, GE’s locomotives have consistently proven to be more fuel efficient, in some cases as much as 6% better.

Thus, these locomotives will reduce ENR’s fuel consumption significantly, saving millions of Egyptian pounds during their life span.

In addition to being more fuel-efficient, Evolution Series locomotives generate significantly lower emissions than ENR’s current fleet of locomotives, resulting in a cleaner environment in Egypt.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Sanlucar-Playa

Likes (Received): 5

I can see with Google Earth a new branch between El Ferdan bridge and Port Said container terminal but, what is about re-construction of egyptian section of palestine railway, away to El Arish?

Many thanks for your news.
Sanlucar-Playa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #15
YorkTown
SSC Algeria

Likes (Received): 271

Some Egyptian Railway pics

YorkTown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #16
egypt69

Ewwww, dude those are the old trains, and those photos are from like the early 90s... this thread is about the new, future plans, do you have any pics of the new trains???
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #17
UAE_isthebest

Believe it or not.... most photos are made after 2005 O_o
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #18
egypt69

And thats precisely why Egypt have ordered new trains, I wish to clarify that those pics are definitely NOT the new trains.
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #19
midotoria
مصر ام الدنيا

Likes (Received): 110

midotoria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #20
egypt69

are those the new trains???

Tags
egypt, infrastructure, railway, train