daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 451

ADMIN Thread - Ideas, Suggestions, SSC/Mods Messages, Thread Title Change Requests, etc

This is the "General Admin" thread for this Forum . . .
This is a NEW version of the opening post, re-written on 21st October 2010.

Purpose of this thread:

1 - WE SHOULD CONSTANTLY REVIEW OUR SUB-FORUM, AND DISCUSS AMONGST OURSELVES IF IT IS MEETING OUR NEEDS . .

It was quite a long time coming, but we finally got our own North East England sub-forum (with its four internal forums) not long ago, on 14th October 2009.

Since then, in my opinion, we have grown well, and have gone from strength to strength. However, not everyone on here might feel that it is working (for them) quite as well as I think it is?

The idea of this thread is to use it as a place where we can all come together to discuss and praise and criticise, or whatever, and "plan together" for the future of our forum.

I think this would be a very useful tool, somewhere where we can pool all our thoughts and ideas all in one place.

I will also use this thread myself, as Forum Moderator, to make any announcements or points that I may need to make, from time to time.

There is a similar thread on all four of our ‘internal’ forums, within the North East England main sub-forum, and I hope you will make use of this one (on YOUR forum) to express your views, opinions and ideas!

As your Moderator, I will of course be available to help, in whatever way I can, as well as carrying out the usual other moderating functions, such as maintenance of general standards of behaviour, etc. (Not that I expect to have to do much of the latter!)

2 - ADVICE & GUIDANCE . .

I will add the above in new posts to this thread ('Announcements', as SkyscraperCity call them) from time to time, first one below . .

Todays Guidance . . "Setting up a new Project Thread".

I hope we have lots of new individual 'Project Threads' to set up, as that means there is a lot of development going on!

Project Threads are, in many ways, our most important type of thread, but there are a few GUIDELINES to follow, when setting them up . . .

A - Always use the standard SkyscraperCity format. For this, have a look at existing 'Project Threads' on this forum.

B - Use the TAG . . . Project - Hull & Humber . . . ALL other Project Threads have this TAG, and it means you can click it and pull up a screen of all ongoing projects on this forum, at any time. Useful, if you want to move direct from one project thread to another.

C - In your thread title, use only the following SUFFIXES . .

Pre-planning - Project is still in the design and consultation phase
Proposed - Project has been submitted for planning permission
Approved - Project has been approved by Planning
Demolition - Demolition underway on site
Preparation - Site clearance/excavation/piling/foundations
U/C - Core and superstructure rising (ie, Under Construction)
T/O - Topped Out. The tower or other building, has reached its maximum height
Completed - Internally and externally complete.
Postponed - Where work ceases temporarily.
Cancelled - Cancellation of Project.

As the project progresses, when the suffix (or anything else in the title) needs amending, just add a note to this 'Forum Admin' thread.

3 - IN CONCLUSION

Please write to me on this thread, or send me a PM, whenever you need to contact me.

Regards,
Newcastle Historian.
Hull and Humber Forum Moderator.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 3rd, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 5

Ooh, this is a suprise i wasnt expecting. Now all we need is the recession to bugger off and the developments to actually start.

Theres no point cluttering it up with endless threads about minor issues as they will be quickly forgotten about. Rather we should have threads about the 6 different development areas so that ensures they will get sufficient posts to keep them going. Of course we should transfer the old thread on to here and make it a sticky. That can be for general discussion such as the Hull vs Beverley one that we've been having of late. I can also do a photo thread as well.

I see B4MMY has sorted out the other NE forums with sticky threads but not ours.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 11th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by up the tigers View Post
Ooh, this is a suprise i wasnt expecting. Now all we need is the recession to bugger off and the developments to actually start.

Theres no point cluttering it up with endless threads about minor issues as they will be quickly forgotten about. Rather we should have threads about the 6 different development areas so that ensures they will get sufficient posts to keep them going. Of course we should transfer the old thread on to here and make it a sticky. That can be for general discussion such as the Hull vs Beverley one that we've been having of late. I can also do a photo thread as well.
Bear in mind that we've got the chance to broaden out discussions away from the city centre. Beverley would probably justify a thread itself, as would the new health centres, Newington and St. Andrew's, Clipper and Freedom etc.

First things first though, i think we need to kick off with:

River Hull Developments
Albion Square
Fruit Market
Castle Street
Humber Quays
Ferensway
Beverley
Photo Thread (sticky?)
Full Summary of Projects (sticky)
legolamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by up the tigers View Post

I see B4MMY has sorted out the other NE forums with sticky threads but not ours.
I've PM'd him and it's being dealt with, sounds like he had a bit of a technical hitch when he tried to move it last night.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #5
up the tigers

I've just sent a pm to b4mmy to have some threads stickied along the lines of the other NE cities like a Hull photo thread and development summary.
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 214

Naming and Moving Threads and Posts

Guys as in previous new sub-forums I suggest that anyone who wants a thread moving, renaming, or posts moving around - please post the links and the requests into this thread. You'll find that things will happen by request rather more swiftly than debate mixed in amongst other places... so once you are sure what you want - please put it in here and either myself or Woodhousen will sort it out for you.
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #7
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Last edited by legolamb; October 15th, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 51

Nice one, I'll enjoy reading about all the developments in Hull and the North East.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Chris (Newcastle)

Likes (Received): 0

This is great - just what I think most of us had asked for. The structure feels right within a greater North East England. Thanks

My only qualm is the name 'Humberside' itself. It might sound logical to the general user but to every local 'Humberside' was imposed on us and was loathed universally, North and South of the Humber since 1974. That's why it's was ditched in 1996. Unlike the Tyneside, Wearside and Teeside names which are all agreeably used by locals. Hull is in the East Riding of Yorkshire as it has been since the Danelaw in the 11th C.

How about we change it to HULL & HUMBER?
Chris (Newcastle) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #10
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

I didn't want to be the first to raise this, but you're right Chris.

Hull and Humber is the correct name for the city region after all. Humberside as an administrative area ceased to be in 1996.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #11
Bushy_Badger
Hullensian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (Newcastle) View Post
This is great - just what I think most of us had asked for. The structure feels right within a greater North East England. Thanks

My only qualm is the name 'Humberside' itself. It might sound logical to the general user but to every local 'Humberside' was imposed on us and was loathed universally, North and South of the Humber since 1974. That's why it's was ditched in 1996. Unlike the Tyneside, Wearside and Teeside names which are all agreeably used by locals. Hull is in the East Riding of Yorkshire as it has been since the Danelaw in the 11th C.

How about we change it to HULL & HUMBER?
Glad I wasnt the only one thinking along these lines. I didnt want to rock the boat as a Humberside forum is good progress from a single thread but a Hull and East Ridings of Yorkshire or Hull & Humber named forum would be the icing on the cake.

Please give this some thought mods.
Bushy_Badger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #12
pug

Could you post this Humberside Airport one in here please

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=737198

Many thanks
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #13
Dazzar86

Likes (Received): 1

Can we have 'Humberside photography' thread and the sub-forum names changed, please?

Hull and Humber would be good, or simply; Hull & East Riding? (with photography on the end obviously for the photography thread).

Thanks.
Dazzar86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Is there any chance we could have the subforum name changed to 'Hull and Humber' please B4mmy?
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #15
Chris (Newcastle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
Is there any chance we could have the subforum name changed to 'Hull and Humber' please B4mmy?
Amen...
Chris (Newcastle) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #16
b4mmy
★★★

I'm informed by my learned friend that the local police, health authority etc... appear to be happy with Humberside...

Old November 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #17
livin' hull

Likes (Received): 3

there is no local health authority !! we fall under the Yorkshire & the Humber Strategic Health Authority.. prior to that it was North and East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire Strategic Health Authority. (NEYNL SHA for short!)

As for Humberside only to my knowledge 3 organisations use it.. Police, Fire and BBC (and only because Beeb couldnt come up with something better!)

sorry to be pedantic!
livin' hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #18
b4mmy
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin' hull View Post
there is no local health authority !! we fall under the Yorkshire & the Humber Strategic Health Authority.. prior to that it was North and East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire Strategic Health Authority. (NEYNL SHA for short!)

As for Humberside only to my knowledge 3 organisations use it.. Police, Fire and BBC (and only because Beeb couldnt come up with something better!)

sorry to be pedantic!

yes, I made the health authority one up to test you.... anyway, look, seriously... we have to have some integration with real life around here, so as altruistic as you guys would wish to be in terms of urbanism and peer respect perhaps as Humberside is already in use by those mentioned above, can we leave it this way until something changes....
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #19
b4mmy
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
I changed the photo one, but can you educate me and explain why this is an issue guys
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #20
Pippin0490
Are we not men?We're Devo

Likes (Received): 2

Humberside was a non-metropolitan county of England from 1 April 1974 until 1 April 1996. Humberside was not well-loved, and to quote James Cran (MP for Beverley), "almost the day after the decision was announced, a campaign began to have Humberside abolished". North Wolds Borough Council changed its name to East Yorkshire Borough Council, likely to emphasise this, and Beverley Borough Council formally included 'East Yorkshire' in its name. According to Cran there was a campaign in 1987 to get Humberside County Council to change its name to something like 'East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire'.

Tags
admin, forum changes, hull, hull and humber, north east england