daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Cityscapes

Cityscapes discussion, photography and news of towns, cities, districts and states.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4421
widescreen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcraig2 View Post
Back to the past of Kota Kinabalu-Api2-Singgah Mata-Jesselton..

Whoa, look at the antique cars! This must have been KK's... I mean Jesselton's 1st luxury condo eh? Where is this place now btw?

Wah! All Saints' Church is seaside! Nowadays it's surrounded by buildings.

Chung Hwa Primary School and Kampung Air is seaside! And Tanjung Aru does look like a proper 'tanjung'! Don't see any beach hotel...

Notice Pulau Gaya has absolutely NO squatters?? Wondered what on earth happened since North Borneo became part of Malaysia...?
widescreen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4422
AFL

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by widescreen View Post
Whoa, look at the antique cars! This must have been KK's... I mean Jesselton's 1st luxury condo eh? Where is this place now btw?
It is now called Habiba Suites. In the 90's, my uncle and his family used to live here.
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #4423
AFL

Quote:

Notice Pulau Gaya has absolutely NO squatters?? Wondered what on earth happened since North Borneo became part of Malaysia...?
It was then sure a cleaner environment. I also notice the old photos of the Kampung Air Sembulan, and what struck my mind is how immaculate (brand new I suppose?) those houses were back then.
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #4424
tbc

Likes (Received): 79

Thank you for sharing those old pics of Jesselton/KK
tbc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #4425
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 515

Most Malaysian cities used to be nicer and neater during the British era. Things had changed since UMNO/BN took over.......
Vince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4426
Quiroz
I m Malaysian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Most Malaysian cities used to be nicer and neater during the British era. Things had changed since UMNO/BN took over.......
Did u live in british era? Since u said it like that, you must have lived the british colonization era right? How old are u?
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4427
laikhj
Live life to the fullest

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz View Post
Jesselton Point Hotel (25-storey) - Beside Wisma Takada

- 118 hotel suites and 25 business suites
- 112 parking lots using vehicle evelator
- Situated in the CBD area
- Gym, Swimming Pool on the rooftop Sky Garden
- Restaurant, Coffee Shop and bar
- Fully furnished

Launching on 19 Nov at Le Meridian Hotel (9am to 12pm)

Interested please contact our Sales Team: +6016 552 0778
laikhj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4428
thienzieyung
"Full Time Tourist"

Likes (Received): 133

Those are some awesome shots of dear old Jesselton and it has changed so much! Signal Hill used to be very close to the sea then and Capital Hotel was even a seaside hotel last time! That's nuts!

Habiba Suites, was constructed in 1959 and actually its older than Malaysia! It may be the oldest apartment building in the city too. It was occupied by the expatriates and British government before the PWD took it over. So that's why all those nice cars are there! When PWD took it over, they renamed it to JKR 447, and recently, it is named Habiba Suites.

I also heard that there were actually a flight of steps from this JKR 447 leading down to Jesselton Point area. Those steps have been long covered in the jungle!

Quote:
Is this area now Jesselton Point? I recognize that similar boardwalk.. But what happened to those red roof buildings now?
thienzieyung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #4429
tbc

Likes (Received): 79

I am absolutely amazed there are actually colour pics of Jesselton from that era !

Please note the 1/F unit on left of pic of what is now Habiba Suites, has an aircond unit installed, even back then (Oct 1966 I make it from the postal stamp)
That must have been a real high end residence back then !
tbc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4430
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Ooooh brings back memories~

I remember driving across this bridge many years ago! Felt like a mini Penang Bridge.

They then replaced it with the current twin bridges. I remembered after the construction of the twin bridges, this "Penang Bridge" was still left behind in between them for a while... then they finally removed it.
What happened to it? It was demolished just because they wanted to build the new bridge?

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #4431
AFL

Quote:

last picture is kampung ayer.
I think that is Karamunsing.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #4432
AFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW View Post
Tun Mustapha tower is the shorter and glassy version of KOMTAR as backdrop against that shorter version of Penang bridge. BTW, Tanjung Lipat where the tower stands is the small scale version of a larger tanjung (George Town of course)
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #4433
wowitsjosh

Oh dear. That Quiroz guy is back again...
wowitsjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #4434
TYW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFL View Post
I think that is Karamunsing.
huh? Karamunsing area was also reclaimed?

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #4435
AFL

Quote:
huh? Karamunsing area was also reclaimed?
Oh, I found this link from a website.
http://kelabibrahim.blogspot.com/201...ma-1950an.html

The blogger stated that:

"Nama Sembulan diambil bersempena dengan gabungan nama ikan Sembilang dan ikan Bulan-Bulan yang terdapat didalam sungainya. Tetapi pada hari ini jenis ikan tersebut telah pupus. Pada hari ini hanya terdapat ikan Talapia dan ikan Bedukang sahaja. Tetapi janganlah pula nama Sembulan ditukar menjadi nama baru iaitu Pia+Kang = Kg. Piakang."

Similar photo, no? So, the picture is not at Karamunsing but actually at Sembulan Lama according to the blogger. But, still both areas are quite close to each other, so I suspect Karamunsing was also used to be open water.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #4436
TYW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFL View Post
Oh, I found this link from a website.
http://kelabibrahim.blogspot.com/201...ma-1950an.html

The blogger stated that:

"Nama Sembulan diambil bersempena dengan gabungan nama ikan Sembilang dan ikan Bulan-Bulan yang terdapat didalam sungainya. Tetapi pada hari ini jenis ikan tersebut telah pupus. Pada hari ini hanya terdapat ikan Talapia dan ikan Bedukang sahaja. Tetapi janganlah pula nama Sembulan ditukar menjadi nama baru iaitu Pia+Kang = Kg. Piakang."

Similar photo, no? So, the picture is not at Karamunsing but actually at Sembulan Lama according to the blogger. But, still both areas are quite close to each other, so I suspect Karamunsing was also used to be open water.
Sembulan makes sense as there are still stilt houses there. if it is Karamunsing then I'm a little surprised since it is more "hilly"...

Old November 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4437
AFL

Quote:
Sembulan makes sense as there are still stilt houses there. if it is Karamunsing then I'm a little surprised since it is more "hilly"...
I am actually thinking that the open water at Karamunsing refers to the present Kompleks Karamunsing.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #4438
dcruins

Remember cathay cinema?....classic!! look at the red bus near cathay cinema, now that's the old Lien Thung bus, Tg Aru bus!
dcruins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #4439
itoyak

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikhj View Post
Interested please contact our Sales Team: +6016 552 0778
For sale kah this hotel?
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4440
AhChuan
Your life is in my hand

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Back to the past of Kota Kinabalu-Api2-Singgah Mata-Jesselton..
Currently, this is Hainan Association Building!

Quote:
Is this state court?

Quote:
Ahhhh~~~~~~ I miss this bridge so much! Though I'm lil bit forgot about the shape...but this picture bring back the memories...

Thanks for the sharing man....love it

Error occured, reformat system
AhChuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote