daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #81
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
I'd be up for a meet-up... Why not.
Ok, lets state possible dates, and see which one more people will be willing to go too.

I'm on holiday on a week on Saturday, for two weeks (I'll try my best to get on SSC though) so won't be able to make one between 7th-23rd of November. However I don't think it's right to just say tomorrow, it's a bit short notice.

Venues?, somewhere quiet, cheap, so no bars like Centurien (best guess at spelling) where it costs a fortune for a drink. So open spaces, pubs, anywhere were you can sit, chat etc, I'm fairly open to where, so long as I say it's not sky high for if you need a drink or something. City Centre location preferred so it's easier for people to get to.

Any suggestions?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #82
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 44

Bodega, generally not too busy, good beer?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #83
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Bodega, generally not too busy, good beer?
Where abouts is that located?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #84
Dan_NUFC

Likes (Received): 1

It is on Westgate Road, over the road from the 02 Academy and then a bit further down towards Central Metro station I think.

And yeah I'd be up for this.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #85
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
It is on Westgate Road, over the road from the 02 Academy and then a bit further down towards Central Metro station I think.

And yeah I'd be up for this.
Oh, so not far from Slaters clothes then?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #86
Dan_NUFC

Likes (Received): 1

Nope, not that far. If you walk towards the Academy from there then the Bodega is on your left hand side.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #87
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
Nope, not that far. If you walk towards the Academy from there then the Bodega is on your left hand side.
Oh right, I could find that.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #88
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 71

the bodega is nice.

off topic question - i received a northern irish banknote today, do you lot think i will be able to use it in the metrocentre or town?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #89
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the bodega is nice.

off topic question - i received a northern irish banknote today, do you lot think i will be able to use it in the metrocentre or town?
I wouldn't bet on it, Irish banknotes, like the Scottish ones are not legal tender (including in their own country), where as English notes are. The reason, because banks in Northern Ireland and Scotland have the right to print and issue their own notes, meaning their is multiple version in circulation. Where as the English banknote is only printed and issed by the bank of England.

Anyway, I suggest you take it somewhere which has tourists from other countries, and the UK, so Metrocentre would be a good choice (like I said though, I wouldn't bet on it) because no doubt they get abit Irish customers and Scottish aswell.

If you so happen to pass the Airport, why not grab a Greggs?

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #90
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 71

just used it at the M&S in the metro centre. the bus driver refused to accept it though.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #91
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
just used it at the M&S in the metro centre. the bus driver refused to accept it though.
Well, so long as you got rid of it. I know that the Scottish £20's can be hard to get rid of, but in the villege where I live, they seem to accept them, it appears theirs more of the Scots in my villege then us. They go up to Scotland alot, and bring back the notes, and their families come here alot as well. I doubt anywhere else in England (apart from border towns) would accpet them as much as they do in my villege.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #92
hollow man

Likes (Received): 4

Historian, what year is that photo with you in from? Early 80's?
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Historian, what year is that photo with you in from? Early 80's?
Not actually the 1980s hollow man . . . it was in fact taken on the very afternoon of the first day the 'second phase' of Eldon Square opened . .

On 16th September 1976.

'Phase One' - that I was also at the first day of, had opened in March of that year (1976).

I had been waiting for Eldon Square to open in 1976, for a long (long) time, I had seen all the amazing plans and read all the newspaper and magazine articles about what was coming, but I just could hardly believe that we were getting such a large, beautiful, modern (indoor) shopping centre, grafted
in amongst all those complex old City Centre streets!
. That was SUCH an amazingly difficult thing to do, though it is 'accepted' as the normal street layout (and often much criticised) these days . . .

It was a fantastic time for 'Newcastle retail', with all those new (brand new to the City) shops arriving, in this wonderful new environment. Can you imagine a hundred or so new shops (and a lot of them WERE new to Newcastle) arriving today?? So, I just took the afternoon off work (as I had also done in March for Phase One opening) and I spent the entire afternoon 'just walking around it all'.

Though, I didn't know I was being 'captured' by the official photographers (or, the 'City Engineers Dept' as they were known) for posterity!!

I now have a PRINT of that photo, and here it is, photographed the other day with two of my large collection of "Eldon Square newspapers/magazines" from the time, from my own records . . .

You can see from this photo, just how the new entrance to Fenwicks actually looked on the opening day of ES Phase 2. Fenwicks got into ES (with all it's benefits) so very easily . . .. All they had to do was "kick a hole in their existing wall", same as that was all they had to do when Monument Mall opened! Bainbridges (John Lewis) their fellow big Department Store, had a much more difficult and expensive job, having to completely move home from Market Street/Grey Street. This, though, then enabled Binns (House of Fraser) to move further along Grey Street into their larger vacated premises.

Interesting times, which have been brought (even more) back to life for me, by this photo!!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 30th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #94
hollow man

Likes (Received): 4

Very interesting stuff Historian. Shame most of us want the streets back today!!!
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #95
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Very interesting stuff Historian. Shame most of us want the streets back today!!!
I don't disagree . . mostly. But it was a VERY exciting and fulfilling time to experience, because the promised things actually happened, and they happened big-style, and it was just great, very 'satisfying' as you might say.

If EPS had come off earlier and the current ES extensions had attracted more new retailers, we might be having a similar-type situation right now!
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #96
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Not really, their is no denying ES was right for Newcastle, the only down side is we lost a few good buildings, which I too want back. Their was no reason why we couldn't of kept the facades, and still had ES. Now we are at stage, were we just need the retailers other cities generally have in ES and Northumberland St, maybe have Grainger market as the upper end for retail, and ES as the independant local shops. That along with Grainger market and Newcastle would have retail coverd.

Simples.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #97
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Okay, so this is actually nearly done, but still worth a thread for the next few months.

I was in town today, and alot of it seemed to be getting re-pathed. Along with it being re-pathed, Low Friar St is being cut off, and for some reason they are re-enforcing the ground before they re-pathe it.
St Andrews church has also had some work done on it aswell, and alot of the repathing work is being done directly outside of it, which is a good thing, because the path there is old, cracked and subsiding/dipping.

This road will also be closed to traffic on Sunday.
I was down that way this afternoon, and as other posters have said, Low Friar Street (entrance from Newgate Street) has been cut off and paved over for some years now.

However (certainly today) the area just a little bit further along Newgate Street (next to the old St Andrews church) is being newly cut off and paved over - at the junction of Newgate Street with St Andrews Street.

Could this be what you saw Chris?
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #98
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I was down that way this afternoon, and as other posters have said, Low Friar Street (entrance from Newgate Street) has been cut off and paved over for some years now.

However (certainly today) the area just a little bit further along Newgate Street (next to the old St Andrews church) is being newly cut off and paved over - at the junction of Newgate Street with St Andrews Street.

Could this be what you saw Chris?
Yes, that is what I ment.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #99
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 82

To be honest, I wouldn't want to eat out in the open directly across the road from the Gate, especially during the evening... Plus you'd be able to see the outside of the deeply ugly building housing the restaurant.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:38 AM   #100
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

On other news, the Dunston Rocket has been denied listed status, which means it can be pulled down. Another 60's building gone, keep up the good work lads.

Why did people actually want it to stay up in anyway?, surely they should be taken away to some mental home.

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
forum fun, my ipad is broken etc, newcastle, off topic, off topic discussions, skybar