daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #21
gonzo1985

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
The new Bridge could be a casualty of the Governments cuts of around £36 billion expected between 2011 and 2014, ----because part of those cuts will be from the Transport Dept, --hope I'm totally wrong, --but it's not looking good, ----whats peoples thoughts.
I was thinking the same mate. could it also be affected by oneNorth East having to bail out Teesside after corus left as well do you think?

Sponsored Links

Old December 11th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #22
denm

Likes (Received): 96

Just read this piece in today's Echo, ----it's good news, and there could be a possible 2012 start date, --and I hope my fears for this project in my post above will prove to be unfounded, --

£133m iconic bridge another step closer Published Date: 11 December 2009
Finalised plans for an iconic bridge being lined up for Sunderland will be submitted next week.
Sunderland City Council's planning application will bring the long-awaited river crossing a step nearer.

If approved, it would be the tallest bridge in the country, standing at up to 190 metres.

It will form the centrepiece of the Sunderland StADVERTISEMENTrategic Transport Corridor (SSTC), crossing the Wear from Castletown on the north side to Pallion.

The full application, made up of 15 reports and more than 400 pages of plans, drawings and assessments, is expected to be put before planning chiefs next week.

After being considered by the council's planning and environment service, the application will be put to the planning and highways committee in the new year.

Council leader Coun Paul Wat-son said: "In September, we agreed that we should move to the next stages of the landmark bridge project, and by publishing these notices, we have now moved into this planning phase.

"As with any major development project, the landmark bridge and its approach roads are being put through the due process and scrutiny of the planning system."

Work on the bridge could begin as soon as 2012.

The cable-stay crossing, designed by Black Cats supporter Stephen Spence and engineering firm Techniker, features two masts soaring 180 metres from the river.

It would be the highest point in Sunderland and the tallest bridge in England.

The bridge and its approach roads will cost £133million. The Government has agreed to provide up to £98million for the project, subject to various procedures.

The rest of the cash will come from the council and regional development agency One North East.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #23
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo1985 View Post
I was thinking the same mate. could it also be affected by oneNorth East having to bail out Teesside after corus left as well do you think?
Yeah, I saw the local news last night and was thinking the same, ---they said that One North East had to take about £30 million which was already designated for other projects in the Region, ---anyway, I just posted some better news above, --still got everything crossed though.
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #24
horokeio
Ma nishma?

Likes (Received): 7

Fingers crossed it is saved the worst of the cuts. It is such a vital project for the future development of the city.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #25
Blackcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by horokeio View Post
Absolutely right. In fact it's fundamental for Vaux to work and for the city centre and Sheepfolds to grow over the next twenty years. We could even make do with a cheapy for that site, as long as it looks reasonably good. An Infinity Bridge (Stockton) would do... Match days would also be significantly more pleasant, and dare I say a new crossing there would breathe extra vibrancy into Deptford, paving the way for an Ouseburn-on-Wear.
Deptford is one of the North East's best kept secrets and if the proposed footbridge gets built it will go from being a hidden gem to Sunderland's version of Ouseburn overnight. No doubt other hostelries will open in the area to cash in on the match day traffic which will funnel through there.
Blackcatfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #26
denm

[QUOTE=Blackcatfan;48340099]Deptford is one of the North East's best kept secrets and if the proposed footbridge gets built it will go from being a hidden gem to Sunderland's version of Ouseburn overnight. No doubt other hostelries will open in the area to cash in on the match day traffic which will funnel through there.[/QUOTE

It's a few years since I was last down Deptford, --but I thought it was a canny area then, ---so I agree with you.
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #27
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
The Government has agreed to provide up to £98million for the project, subject to various procedures
Various procedures? This doesn't sound so positive to me at all.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #28
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Various procedures? This doesn't sound so positive to me at all.

I think that when the Government agreed to fund the £98 million --they wanted assurances from the Council / and ARC that they would find the rest, --the Government have agreed the money, ---lets hope they don't take it back through their proposed cuts in 2011, ---everything crossed for this one.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #29
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 79

so apparently then, im the only one who is either aware of bothered that this has come in for planning permission....

if you sunderland people want this, you have to support this.... get writting those letters!!!!!!

09/04661/LAP

Erection of new highway bridge, with two columns of maximum height of 190m and 140m respectively, and associated highway infrastructure, connecting Wessington Way in Castletown and European Way in Pallion, with associated landscaping and engineering works, together with a temporary bridge to facilitate bridge construction; Stopping-Up of highways, change of use of land and inclusion of additional land as new highway and highway infrastructure at and in proximity to Hylton Riverside, Hylton Park Road , Timber Beach Road, Wessington Way and European Way and Crown Works and Groves/Coles Site, Sunderland.

Land At, Wessington Way,Timber Beach Road, Hylton Park Road, European Way And Groves Coles Site,Sunderland.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #30
sterock85
www.stafnmar.com

Likes (Received): 16

Cheers ^

Will do!
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #31
woodhousen

btw, at 190m tall, it makes the new wear crossing...

the 19th tallest bridge in the World

the 5th tallest in Europe, and

the TALLEST in the UK
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #32
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
so apparently then, im the only one who is either aware of bothered that this has come in for planning permission....

if you sunderland people want this, you have to support this.... get writting those letters!!!!!!

09/04661/LAP

Erection of new highway bridge, with two columns of maximum height of 190m and 140m respectively, and associated highway infrastructure, connecting Wessington Way in Castletown and European Way in Pallion, with associated landscaping and engineering works, together with a temporary bridge to facilitate bridge construction; Stopping-Up of highways, change of use of land and inclusion of additional land as new highway and highway infrastructure at and in proximity to Hylton Riverside, Hylton Park Road , Timber Beach Road, Wessington Way and European Way and Crown Works and Groves/Coles Site, Sunderland.

Land At, Wessington Way,Timber Beach Road, Hylton Park Road, European Way And Groves Coles Site,Sunderland.

I knew there was a planning application lodged in December, ---but I'm surprised the Highways Committee will discuss it so soon, -----thanks for the post mate, cheers.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #33
sterock85
www.stafnmar.com

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:

the TALLEST in the UK
So exciting!

Just hope it all goes according to plan.
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #34
gld
In the brig

Quote:

the TALLEST in the UK

It will be fantastic if this happens.
gld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #35
gld
In the brig

Does anybody know how soon a decision will be made by the Council regarding the planning application, cheers.
gld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #36
woodhousen

it will be clearly marked on the council website
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #37
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gld View Post
Does anybody know how soon a decision will be made by the Council regarding the planning application, cheers.
We should find out sometime in the Spring.
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #38
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post
We should find out sometime in the Spring.
Application expiry date is 29/10/2010.

The details that have been submitted are very detailed, I actually think this is going ahead.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-...=KUE32ABB00P00
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #39
YorkshireMackem

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
Application expiry date is 29/10/2010.

The details that have been submitted are very detailed, I actually think this is going ahead.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/online-...=KUE32ABB00P00
Agree mate, I can't see this not going ahead.

David Walker said in a council committee meeting that the final approval for the £98m DFT funding for the bridge will be given once all CPOs had gone through. CPOs can only go through when planning permission has been given. However, all other necessarily approval stages for this funding have passed and its literally a case of making sure SCC keep up their end of the bargain.
YorkshireMackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #40
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireMackem View Post
Agree mate, I can't see this not going ahead.

David Walker said in a council committee meeting that the final approval for the £98m DFT funding for the bridge will be given once all CPOs had gone through. CPOs can only go through when planning permission has been given. However, all other necessarily approval stages for this funding have passed and its literally a case of making sure SCC keep up their end of the bargain.

Yes I agree, ---and I hope that Sunderland City Council will give Approval sometime in the Spring,

Tags
project - sunderland area