daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 446

Tyne Bridge Tower | Gateshead | 47m | 15 Fl | Demolition

On February 16th 2009 the cancellation of the proposed Tyne Bridge Tower (former HM Revenue & Customs building) was discussed on the Projects Thread.

CURRENT

RECENT PROPOSAL

This site will HAVE to be developed soon, as part of the 'gentrification' of the Gateshead Quays.

Does anyone know the latest position?
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

The new "tower" looked dreadful - good decision by the council. And what an awful render - it doesn't sell the tower at all. Badly proportioned, characterless and (I bet) cheap materials.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2240

anyone know when the original building was built, and who designed it?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
anyone know when the original building was built, and who designed it?
It was built in the 1960's but I have no idea who the architect or developer were.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #5
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 0

It reminds me of ECHO 24 on the Sunderland river side.....awful!!!
Now that is a brutal building on the surrounding land scape if I ever seen one!

Jimi Hendrix
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Geordie Ahmed

That recent proposal render is indeed horrible
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
TownPlanningNE

The last thing I heard about this was a planning application had been approved to renew all of the windows, reclad it and refurbish the offices and put it back on the market.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #8
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 44

What is it with curved office buildings? The Gosforth Tower, the proposed Strawberry Place building, now this. It is becoming as much a cliche as the 'wavy roofs' that blighted the 1990s.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #9
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
What is it with curved office buildings? The Gosforth Tower, the proposed Strawberry Place building, now this. It is becoming as much a cliche as the 'wavy roofs' that blighted the 1990s.
Thank You, someone else has noticed! those god awful wavy rooves on the quayside are already looking dated, in the case of Trinity Gardens only 3 years after completion!

Tyne Bridge Tower is already back on the market for short term leases BTW, so dont expect anything monumental soon....
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #10
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 83

Sadly enough, a friend of mine was telling me how he designed a building recently with a wavy roof because (as is usually the case with these wavy-roofed buildings) "it's beside the sea, so it links to the concept of waves and water".

I didn't just bite my tongue, I nearly bit it off...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #11
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 171

A few more renderings of the proposal:

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #12
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 28

^ When you see it from the back I can sort of understand why it was knocked back, it stops being a tower and starts being a wall or barrier with that big extension on. I also think it could interfere with future development behind the tower. So it would have been a short-term gain I imagine.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #13
steve_ncl

I thought that the Tyne Bridge Tower was planned for demolition?

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-22925735/

I think itís a shame to be honest as its has the potential to echo 55 degress on the other side of the bridge. I know brutalist concrete architecture isnít very popular but its important to maintain part of the history from the sixties.

The dilemma is summed up perfectly by the architect Owen Luder, "The question is, do you update the building, or spend an enormous amount of money to knock it down and rebuild?"
steve_ncl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Geordie Ahmed

I dont like it at all - they should knock it down and build something smaller in its place if possible. It just gets in the way when your coming from Gateshead towards the bridge
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 146

I would be happy with them to knock it down. It's not the best example of 60's architecture, let's face it. The proposal wouldn't have been much better as it would have added even more bulk to it. It would have been preferable if they'd just reclad the existing building.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #16
steve_ncl

I would definitely prefer to see it reused rather than demolished. It just seems a waste of a building, which isnít really very old.

On the other point about 60ís architecture, this isnít the best example but it is a landmark on the sky line. My point is that we are unable to really know which buildings will be appreciated in the future and we should avoid the mistakes of the past by demolishing anything that we think is out of date.
steve_ncl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 20

Yeah, I get your point, however I would bet everything I will ever own that at no point in the future will anyone think that Tyne Bridge Tower is an attractive building.
I'm no big fan of some other 60s/70s buildings in the area, such as the car park and the Dunston Rocket, by Mr. Luder who you mention earlier, but those two at least are showing brutalism at its 'best', and I can understand (if not agree with) arguments to keep them. For the Tyne Bridge Tower, I agree that demolishing it to leave a bit of wasteland is pointless, if there's a market, tart it up and re-let it, but even better would be to demolish it and build something stunning there. On the subject of Owen Luder, I would be careful quoting anything by someone who is so pompous and self-important as to go on and on about how great his buildings are despite the fact that they have failed, and now serve no purpose other than to blight the skyline. Sorry for the rant, but read a few interviews with him on the subject of his buildings, and he really winds me up. I think I dislike him more than his buildings!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Yeah, I get your point, however I would bet everything I will ever own that at no point in the future will anyone think that Tyne Bridge Tower is an attractive building.
I'm no big fan of some other 60s/70s buildings in the area, such as the car park and the Dunston Rocket, by Mr. Luder who you mention earlier, but those two at least are showing brutalism at its 'best', and I can understand (if not agree with) arguments to keep them. For the Tyne Bridge Tower, I agree that demolishing it to leave a bit of wasteland is pointless, if there's a market, tart it up and re-let it, but even better would be to demolish it and build something stunning there. On the subject of Owen Luder, I would be careful quoting anything by someone who is so pompous and self-important as to go on and on about how great his buildings are despite the fact that they have failed, and now serve no purpose other than to blight the skyline. Sorry for the rant, but read a few interviews with him on the subject of his buildings, and he really winds me up. I think I dislike him more than his buildings!
I think you are correct there, though a good quality re-clad/re-furb should go 'some way towards it', but where TBT really scores as a building is FROM the inside, looking out.

It would make excellent flats, as the views (particularly north-facing, as I said in an earlier post on this thread) are WITHOUT COMPARISON. It's not just the marvellous City Centre view, it is the City Centre looking down the spine of the Tyne Bridge itself - irreplaceable!! So it really is worth trying to save it, in my view.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 20

Fair enough Historian, you can do pretty amazing things with a re-clad, however a new building in the same place would have the same views.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Fair enough Historian, you can do pretty amazing things with a re-clad, however a new building in the same place would have the same views.
A tad more expensive . . and (as I do not disagree that this would be better) how great would it be to have a REAL new landmark building at the premier entrance point to our great City? There are few places (if any) in this region, where a landmark building is more desirable, than right there!

I'm just not certain how economically viable that would be, especially when stacked up against a re-clad, financially.

My main point is though, I do not think that JUST demolition, without a replacement or only with a very low-rise (NO views) replacement, is a good option at all.

Tags
construction, development, developments, gateshead, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects