daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #981
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 569

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #982
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Final Swan Hunter cranes to be demolished
Jun 3 2010 by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle

THE last remains of a shipyard’s heritage will be reduced to rubble tomorrow.

For more than a century, huge cranes dominated the skyline at the former Swan Hunter yard, in Wallsend, North Tyneside.

The landmarks could be seen for miles along the riverside and were firmly imprinted on the minds of generations of Geordies.

Now the remnants of two cranes on the site will be demolished with explosives.

North Tyneside Council has been asked to provide a licence for the work, commissioned by the owners of the cranes.

The work will be carried out by O’Briens Demolition Ltd at 11am tomorrow. No members of the public will be allowed in the area while it takes place.

However, there will be limited views from various positions on the public bridleway running between Segedunum Museum and the old shipyard.

The council, which owns the yard, says efforts were made to save the cranes. The authority explored plans to buy them but felt the cost was too high.

How the cranes used to look . . .

FULL ARTICLE AND MORE PHOTOS HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26579638/
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #983
funkydory
OneWorld

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

NH, unless I've goofed reading your index which you made for all of us earlier this year, can I direct everyone to a site that I refer to frequently regarding now sadly disappeared railway branch lines in the country areas of the Midlands.

The site is www.disused-stations.org.uk By going on the alphabetical index there you will come across in very unassumed circumstances the name Reedsmouth-the very same listed in the newspaper article.

Actually, I've brought up the link up for you here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r...th/index.shtml

What beauty you will see there, in colour,too!

There is more. Click on every link you can find there. I've done the lead one here for the Wansbeck Line, but there are all the others to explore too:-

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co....ansbeck-branch

Smashing!

Don't let people take away your history. or they will take away your future.

(C)Funkydory

Cinema, theatre and transport memories. The world over.
funkydory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM   #984
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydory View Post
NH, unless I've goofed reading your index which you made for all of us earlier this year, can I direct everyone to a site that I refer to frequently regarding now sadly disappeared railway branch lines in the country areas of the Midlands.

The site is www.disused-stations.org.uk By going on the alphabetical index there you will come across in very unassumed circumstances the name Reedsmouth-the very same listed in the newspaper article.

Actually, I've brought up the link up for you here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r...th/index.shtml

What beauty you will see there, in colour,too!

There is more. Click on every link you can find there. I've done the lead one here for the Wansbeck Line, but there are all the others to explore too:-

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co....ansbeck-branch

Smashing!

Thanks funky, I have now added the Northumbrian Railways site, to the Websites listing thread, under both 'Local Interest' and 'Transport'.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #985
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Final Swan Hunter cranes to be demolished
Jun 3 2010 by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle

THE last remains of a shipyard’s heritage will be reduced to rubble tomorrow.

For more than a century, huge cranes dominated the skyline at the former Swan Hunter yard, in Wallsend, North Tyneside.

The landmarks could be seen for miles along the riverside and were firmly imprinted on the minds of generations of Geordies.

Now the remnants of two cranes on the site will be demolished with explosives.

North Tyneside Council has been asked to provide a licence for the work, commissioned by the owners of the cranes.

The work will be carried out by O’Briens Demolition Ltd at 11am tomorrow. No members of the public will be allowed in the area while it takes place.

However, there will be limited views from various positions on the public bridleway running between Segedunum Museum and the old shipyard.

The council, which owns the yard, says efforts were made to save the cranes. The authority explored plans to buy them but felt the cost was too high.

How the cranes used to look . . .

FULL ARTICLE AND MORE PHOTOS HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26579638/

A VIDEO OF THE DEMOLITION - 11 am FRIDAY 4th JUNE 2010 . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/...00/8722622.stm
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #986
funkydory
OneWorld

Quote:
(4) A little further afield for this one (27/5/2010) but Tyne and Wear nevertheless: Bridge Street, Sunderland.

An opportunity to include the transport infrastructure, shopping at Binns too!
................................................................................................................................
(5) Back in the City Centre, Newcastle in its Coronation finery, posted Saturday 5 June 2010:-

But where-and what-is this distinctive building? My source genuinely has no record. Did it have some previous historical King or Queen connection maybe?

(C)Funkydory

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 5th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #987
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
NH, shall we hit the ground running for the next 1,000 postings with this complimentary shot here? I'm keeping my powder dry regarding the origin for the moment except to declare the inclusion is for educational and non-commercial purposes.

Naturally I'm presuming I've got the same place!

Funky . . . I don't think you have, I think this is a photo of a different building being constructed.

Funkydory (above) was saying that he presumed his photo above was of the same place as my LAST TWO photos on HERE (Post 1,000) . . .
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1000

In a PM to him I said that I didn't think it was! We (neither of us) could be certain, but I couldn't recognise the houses on the left of Funky's picture at all.

Anyway, he then told me that North Street had been mentioned as part of the description of his photo.

Well, that confirmed what I thought, that the building in his photo was not the same poly (Northumbria Uni, now) building as in MY photo (which was the 'Northumberland Building' under construction) but was more likely to be an even older poly building (now known as the 'Ellison Building') but then known as The Rutherford College of Technology, about a quarter of a mile south where North Street was/is, as shown HERE . . .

What do people think??

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 6th, 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #988
CDB00

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Funky . . . I don't think you have, I think this is a photo of a different building being constructed.

Funkydory (above) was saying that he presumed his photo above was of the same place as my LAST TWO photos on HERE (Post 1,000) . . .
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1000

In a PM to him I said that I didn't think it was! We (neither of us) could be certain, but I couldn't recognise the houses on the left of Funky's picture at all.

Anyway, he then told me that North Street had been mentioned as part of the description of his photo.

Well, that confirmed what I thought, that the building in his photo was not the same poly (Northumbria Uni, now) building as in MY photo (which was the 'Northumberland Building' under construction) but was more likely to be an even older poly building (now known as the 'Ellison Building') but then known as The Rutherford College of Technology, about a quarter of a mile south where North Street was/is, as shown HERE . . .

What do people think??

NH/Funky - I'm having trouble with this one...Could you give a bit more information? In what context was North St. mentioned? If this is, as you believe, Ellison Building, from which direction do you think we are looking? and what street do you believe those houses on the left of the picture to be?
CDB00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #989
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB00 View Post
NH/Funky - I'm having trouble with this one...Could you give a bit more information? In what context was North St. mentioned? If this is, as you believe, Ellison Building, from which direction do you think we are looking? and what street do you believe those houses on the left of the picture to be?
Yes, so am I!

Funky mentioned to me in a PM about his photo, that "North Street" had, he thought, been mentioned as part of the description of his photo, on the site that he got it from.

He had, as you have read, also said that he thought his photo was "of the same Polytechnic construction site in the 1960s" as my earlier photos had been.

I didn't think so, and cited his mentioning of North Street as the reason.

North Street is some way further south down John Dobson Street, than the Northumberland Building construction site that I had shown in my photos. North Street used to be longer, across both sides of (what is now) John Dobson Street, before JDS was built.

The only Polytechic (which it eventually became) new building in that area was the Rutherford College of Technology (the Ellison Building, as it is now known).

To answer another part of your question, I believe we are looking South in Funky's photo . . and (if so) those houses would be on an un-named street (on the old maps that I have) running down from Northumberland Road to Ellison Place, to the East of College Street.

HOWEVER,

This is all just me "trying" to fit the photo into what we have been told, to "guess at" which Polytechnic construction site it is!!

MY OWN VIEW, initially, was that this wasn't a Polytechnic construction, at all! If it was an 'educational' construction site from the 60s (if it was!) then I thought it could be a Newcastle College site, rather than a Newcastle Poly site.

As you can see though . . . lots of words but very little conclusion from me, on this one!!
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #990
CDB00

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Yes, so am I!

Funky mentioned to me in a PM about his photo, that "North Street" had, he thought, been mentioned as part of the description of his photo, on the site that he got it from.

He had, as you have read, also said that he thought his photo was "of the same Polytechnic construction site in the 1960s" as my earlier photos had been.

I didn't think so, and cited his mentioning of North Street as the reason.

North Street is some way further south down John Dobson Street, than the Northumberland Building construction site that I had shown in my photos. North Street used to be longer, across both sides of (what is now) John Dobson Street, before JDS was built.

The only Polytechic (which it eventually became) new building in that area was the Rutherford College of Technology (the Ellison Building, as it is now known).

To answer another part of your question, I believe we are looking South in Funky's photo . . and (if so) those houses would be on an un-named street (on the old maps that I have) running down from Northumberland Road to Ellison Place, to the East of College Street.

HOWEVER,

This is all just me "trying" to fit the photo into what we have been told, to "guess at" which Polytechnic construction site it is!!

MY OWN VIEW, initially, was that this wasn't a Polytechnic construction, at all! If it was an 'educational' construction site from the 60s (if it was!) then I thought it could be a Newcastle College site, rather than a Newcastle Poly site.

As you can see though . . . lots of words but very little conclusion from me, on this one!!
I'm glad you said that, your doubts match my own...I've been trying to work out the context from the background buildings and skyline and I'm not getting anywhere! ... it would be nice if someone could say if they can recognise anything in the background
CDB00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #991
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB00 View Post
it would be nice if someone could say if they can recognise anything in the background
It's sending me bog-eyed. I've convinced myself that the 3 blocks of flats in Shieldfield are in the middle distance, and the Spillers building with the Walker Gasometer are back left. BUT, the foreground is elevated. At one point I'd convinced myself it was the TA Centre on Coatsworth RD, with the Westgate Rd flats in the background.............
Captain Timber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #992
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I have been informed in a PM from funkydory that he got his photo from "The Newcastle Collection of English Heritage", so I have traced that collection, and here is another photo of the same construction site, looking the other way, on there . . .

Does that help anyone? (It doesn't seem to help me!)

Here is a LINK to the English Heritage collection . .

http://www.englishheritagearchives.o...t&cr=Newcastle - You need to search for selections "with online image" only.

I'm sure someone will now be able to work it out (couldn't find a ref to 'North Street' mind!)
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #993
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

Quote:
Does that help anyone? (It doesn't seem to help me!)
Nope! The descriptions in the English Heritage site all use the word 'probably'. The angle of the housing bothers me - the area in the photo is obviously elevated and sloping, but the Poly area at the back of the Civic Centre into Sandyford isn't.

It can only realistically be Rye Hill - maybe the Charles Trevelyan Building, but the background doesn't support that.
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #994
funkydory
OneWorld

Hmmm.....North Street...

I'm just wondering if English Heritage haven't gone the same way as the Daily Mirror archives (allegedly, LOL) and put up a picture of "Newcastle" when actually it turns out to be somewhere like Leeds

We 'Suvvernors' do sometimes have a directional problem after we leave Watford Services on the M1

(C)Funkydory

Last edited by funkydory; June 9th, 2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #995
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 48

I too have struggled with these photos. As CT noticed, the falling terrain and distant towers should help, but don't.
The angle of the sun suggests that the 1st pic is not facing north.
The tower left of centre is likely to be on Newton Road, High Heaton viewed from the north, but the gable ends of the terrace don't have chimneys at their end, which limits the number of eligible terraces. They could be in Bensham.

But the detail that's stumped me is the louvres on the church spire in the second pic. Has there been such a spire in Tyneside on the top of a slope? Its a little like the remaining spire on St Stephens Church in Cruddas Park, but not exactly. Its more like the chapel in St John's cemetry nearby, but there's no housing that close to the Chapel!

Can any of us remember what the back of terraces looked like that ran down towards Scotswood Road in that area, and was there ever a housing block like that there (from the second pic, with all those chimneys)?

Or was there a spire like that in Bensham?
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #996
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

I can justify the background - Shieldfield flats, the tower block, Spillers, Walker gasometer. However, THE ONLY place I could view them in that configuration using Google Earth, Multimap birds eye and actually printing a map AND DRAWING LINES ON IT - was from the back of Victoria Square (Sloan Court) looking SE. Victoria Sq terraces are far grander than the ones in the photograph, although similar at first glance. Plus it's flat in Sandyford.
I'm going out on a limb - it's not Newcastle. The geography's wrong. We can rule out Leeds too, we've not got a hill like that overlooking flat residential stuff.

I'm baffled!
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #997
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Timber View Post
I can justify the background - Shieldfield flats, the tower block, Spillers, Walker gasometer. However, THE ONLY place I could view them in that configuration using Google Earth, Multimap birds eye and actually printing a map AND DRAWING LINES ON IT - was from the back of Victoria Square (Sloan Court) looking SE. Victoria Sq terraces are far grander than the ones in the photograph, although similar at first glance. Plus it's flat in Sandyford.
I'm going out on a limb - it's not Newcastle. The geography's wrong. We can rule out Leeds too, we've not got a hill like that overlooking flat residential stuff.

I'm baffled!

Funky . . . over to Y O U !!!!
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #998
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 19

And here's a better view of the houses ;

These don't look like any houses I've ever seen around here. There's chimney coming from the kitchen/bathroom extensions. I've never even seen that anywhere.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #999
funkydory
OneWorld

Quote:
Funky . . . over to Y O U !!!!
Ooh...err Missus (as Frankie Howerd would say, AND a clue to a forthcoming 'lost building of Newcastle' in the Cinemas thread. Promise its genuine this one folks!).

Without getting in touch with EH directly and questioning their archiving integrity (just yet!) I'll do some digging (get it?) around the photographer network of the period and see what appears.

In the English Heritage selection, is there anyone who might recognise the architectural style of the one that is going up? A 16th Century Richard Rogers perhaps?

(C)Funkydory

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #1000
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 48

I'd just like to emphasise the point anonymous1 was making.
The clue in identifying the location of these is going to be in the brick terraces. Their design is quite unusual:-
3 stories with 2 storey offshoot.
3 chimney stacks, one half way up the front roof with 3 flues per house, a second half way up the rear roof with another 3 flues per house, and a third serving the 2 rooms in the offshoot, on a tall stack up against the rear of the terrace (and not further out along the offshoot, either half way along or at the far end, which is the usual place for a fire: opposite the door to the room).

That's not how most terrace were constructed in Tyneside Leeds Derby Nottingham Leicester or Liverpool, just possibly somewhere in the greater Manchester area, Sheffield or Bristol (where separate front and rear stacks were popular) but the position of the offshoot's chimneys will be an excellent good clue. Then there's that louvred church tower and the more modern brick housing block, again with more separate chimney stacks than was usual.
I'll guess Sheffield

Last edited by DXNewcastle; June 10th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 of 2 historic threads, architecture, cities, city, development, developments, england, historic, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, map, maps, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle upon tyne, old photos, photography, united kingdom