daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #21
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So what lasting improvements will outlive the Games? I believe Transit City should cover this part of town as well? So in the future, residents can streetcar into the financial core?
I was thinking the same thing. Streetcars would be perfect to have going along Queens at the waterfront to the east, a place that's getting a lot of development as well, and then up to Don's developments.
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #22
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I believe Transit City should cover this part of town as well? So in the future, residents can streetcar into the financial core?
Nothing of the Transit City lines cover this, but there will be new/expanded streetcar lines in the area. Also, the DRL (subway) will likely have a station here.

monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #23
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Whoa nice! Are those just proposals? Is there a good chance some of those lines will come some time soon?
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #24
kuquito
Brujo Nato

Likes (Received): 191

It's a wonderful project. Can't wait to ride my bike through it.
kuquito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #25
OEincorparated

Likes (Received): 47

You can walk into the financial core, Y&D Square or where ever from West Donlands, no problem. The people who buy there won't even need a metropass, everything will be included near by. People from else where will be flocking down there to relax, live and just hang out I bet.
OEincorparated no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17817

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
You can walk into the financial core, Y&D Square or where ever from West Donlands, no problem. The people who buy there won't even need a metropass, everything will be included near by. People from else where will be flocking down there to relax, live and just hang out I bet.
That's probably a 20 minute walk - probably do-able in the summer, but I think there needs to be a fast connection into the core, such as by streetcar. But then, given its location, I think the length of the commute might not be different from talking the subway @ Eglinton. So price-wise, will it be worth it?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #27
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
Waterfront Toronto Announces West Donlands Underpass Park

Waterfront Toronto yesterday announced plans for Underpass Park. Located under the Eastern Avenue and Adelaide/Richmond overpasses between Cherry and Bayview, it will beautify an area that is currently derelict. Designed by renowned landscape architects Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg in conjunction with The Planning Partnership, the park will connect the northern part of the West Donlands with the larger area to the south.

Full details of the plan can be found on the Waterfront Toronto website.

Some now and then images highlighting the plans.

A map of the West Donlands showing where Underpass Park will be located.

http://urbantoronto.ca/content.php?2...Underpass-Park

I dropped you off at the train station, And put a kiss on top of your head
I watched you wave, I watched you wave
Then I went on home to my skyscrapers, Neon lights and waiting papers
That I call home, I call it home

- Adele
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #28
STAR-ter

Location: Gdańsk [PL], Toronto [CA], Mexico City [MX], Trondheim [NO]
Likes (Received): 356

Construction update

Still digging in the ground, but we can see progress:
[IMG]http://i51.************/2j0drhe.jpg[/IMG]
Mill St., east of Cherry.

[IMG]http://i54.************/2gvn9zs.jpg[/IMG]
The lot on the South-West corner of Front and Cherry was closed for a while due to a soil pollution study, but now it was opened up and hopefully some construction will start here soon.

by Pinky and the Brain

Last edited by STAR-ter; June 18th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.
STAR-ter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM   #29
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17817

Dupuis: Athletes Village a catalyst for waterfront redevelopment
December 07, 2010
Stephen Dupuis
Special to the Toronto Star

Not that I haven’t been watching it unfold building by building, but on a trek through the city last month, I seemed to notice all the new condo development that has occurred along either side of the Gardiner Expressway from the Air Canada Centre westward to Highway 427 as if it had magically appeared all at once.

For the next five years, we’re going to see that type of transformation, albeit not nearly as tall, from the ACC eastward to the Don Valley Parkway as the East Bayfront, West Don Lands and ultimately the Port Lands get redeveloped by Waterfront Toronto.

I have to admit to being one of the cynics who wondered if anything was every going to happen in that area of the city. But having had the opportunity to hear Derek Goring, director of development for Waterfront Toronto, set out the vision and the master plan for the largest urban renewal project in North America — and one of the most significant waterfront revitalization efforts in the world — I’ve become a believer.

While good things were already unfolding, the awarding of the 2015 Pan Am games to Toronto and the decision to locate the athletes village on the waterfront has created a deadline which can’t be missed, not with 10,000 athletes from 42 different countries coming to an event that will be twice the size of the Vancouver Olympics.

You can see the transformation taking place in the East Bayfront area with Sugar Beach and the Corus building already there. Proceeding east, the George Brown College Health Sciences Campus construction is coming out of the ground, next to which will be Sherbourne Common park. On the other side of the park, we’ll soon see the Parkside development by Great Gulf Homes hit the market, followed by the Bayside development by Hines. All told, there will be 6,000 new residential units in this area plus all the office and commercial space.

The West Don Lands will also include 6,000 new residential units, including the 2,100 units slated for the Athletes Village and 900 units in River City by Urban Capital, which is already setting the tone for the area having won BILD’s Best Building Design award earlier this year. The Athletes Village will feature a mix of condominium and rental housing in highrise and midrise form plus some stacked units, designed to ultimately serve every market segment from students to seniors, with 20 per cent designated to be affordable rental and 5 per cent affordable ownership homes.

Other notable features of the West Don Lands includes an underpass park with pop-up retail, living streets and plenty of public art, not to mention the 17-acre Don River park.

There’s so much to get excited about when you hear Goring talk. Overall, a third of the development area will be parks, and all the buildings will be built to some of the highest energy-efficiency and other green standards. Overall goals include quality of place, design excellence, sustainability and intelligent communities.

“Buildings are important, but it’s the spaces between buildings that make the community,” said Goring.

“I’m just knocked out by what’s going on,” says well-known industry consultant Barry Lyon. “There’s enthusiasm for Toronto, enthusiasm for the games, and enthusiasm for the waterfront.”

I share Lyon’s and Goring’s enthusiasm and encourage readers to check it all out at www.towaterfront.ca. Meanwhile, for the next five years, don’t blink as you drive along the Gardiner eastbound.

Stephen Dupuis is president and CEO of the Building Industry and Land Development Association. The views expressed are those of the president. Email: [email protected].

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #30
STAR-ter

Location: Gdańsk [PL], Toronto [CA], Mexico City [MX], Trondheim [NO]
Likes (Received): 356

2 shots from yesterday:

[IMG]http://i56.************/28bfvno.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/zmmdrk.jpg[/IMG]

by Pinky and the Brain
STAR-ter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Awesome project!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #32
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

final plan:

first condo phase:
image hosted on flickr

Agent Smit liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #33
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

what the site looked like on may 30th;

from jasonzed over at UT
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #34
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Early 2013

image hosted on flickr

pano parts A west Don Lands, 2013 01 01 -ad by booledozer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

pano parts A west Don Lands, 2013 01 01 -aa by booledozer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

pano parts A west Don Lands, 2013 01 01 -ab by booledozer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

pano parts A west Don Lands, 2013 01 01 -al by booledozer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

pano parts A west Don Lands, 2013 01 01 -ak by booledozer, on Flickr
Old October 3rd, 2013, 01:50 AM   #36
Canadian Lover

Likes (Received): 3

It's nice to see this type of urban renewal for an undeveloped/old area. I like how the streetcars in that one photo have their own right of way separate from car traffic - it's a cheap way to build transit while minimizing traffic disruption.

Tags
toronto, west don lands