daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

AUSTRALIA - FIFA World Cup 2022 bid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCpmSZN_9g
aus16 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Embedded for you.

-------

The video is awesome! I hope we do get the WC in either '18 or '22.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Might as well post likely venues.

Melbourne:
MCG (100,000), Docklands Stadium (55,000), New stadium? (unlikely)

Sydney:
Homebush (83,000), SFS (45,000)

Brisbane:
Suncorp Stadium (55,000)

Perth:
Subiaco (Major Upgrade, Currently 42,000), WACA (Majou upgrade, Currently 20,000), New Stadium (I desperately hope so)

Adelaide:
AAMI (major upgrade currently 51,000), Adelaide oval (upgraded currently 33,000) New Stadium (Hopefully)

Newcastle:
EAS (Upgraded, currently 26,000)

Woolongong:
WIN Stadium (Upgraded, currently 20,000)

Gold Coast:
Carrara Stadium (upgraded, Currently being built at 25,000)

Townsville:
DFS (Upgraded, Currently 25,000)

Darwin:
New Stadium

Tasmania:
New Stadium (probably in Hobart)

Thats all the possibilities I can think of. Many very unlikely.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

Just noted Aboriginals playing Soccer, but Australian Rules Football is the dominant sport for them. More Aboriginals playing soccer would help the game and our Australian side, they have freakish athletic talent.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Might as well post likely venues.

Melbourne:
MCG (100,000), Docklands Stadium (55,000), New stadium? (unlikely)

Sydney:
Homebush (83,000), SFS (45,000)

Brisbane:
Suncorp Stadium (55,000)

Perth:
Subiaco (Major Upgrade, Currently 42,000), WACA (Majou upgrade, Currently 20,000), New Stadium (I desperately hope so)

Adelaide:
AAMI (major upgrade currently 51,000), Adelaide oval (upgraded currently 33,000) New Stadium (Hopefully)

Newcastle:
EAS (Upgraded, currently 26,000)

Woolongong:
WIN Stadium (Upgraded, currently 20,000)

Gold Coast:
Carrara Stadium (upgraded, Currently being built at 25,000)

Townsville:
DFS (Upgraded, Currently 25,000)

Darwin:
New Stadium

Tasmania:
New Stadium (probably in Hobart)

Thats all the possibilities I can think of. Many very unlikely.
Well here's a more logical list of venues:

Melbourne:
MCG

Sydney:
Homebush, SFS

Brisbane:
Suncorp Stadium

Perth:
Perth Oval

Adelaide:
Adelaide oval

Newcastle:
EAS

Woolongong:
WIN Stadium

Gold Coast:
Carrara Stadium

Townsville:
DFS or New Stadium

Canberra:
New Stadium

Darwin is unlikely as host, if so, don't expect a new stadium (even if it should be downsized post WC). Expect the use of a revamped TIO stadium.

Tasmania is unlikely to offer or build a new stadium, they've already stated that they don't want to fund such a project.

Well you got 3 oval stadiums there, probably need a 12th venue for an all rounded bid.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

I think Skilled Park would be used over Carrara Stadium.

Skilled : 27,500
Carrara : 23,500
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

neither would be used because a world cup stadium must be over 40 000 and skilled park structurally cannot be upgraded and i really don't think that with the current plan for carrara that there would be enough space at the ends for additional seating.
aus16 no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #8
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

It would be awesome to see the WC in Oz. Too bad that for us Brazilians the match times would be baaaaad (between 02:00 and 09:00am lol!).
schmidt no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Our respective state governments are doing a great job ruining any serious chance of hosting the WC.

I swear most behave as if they have not and will not read FIFA venue guidlines. They either have not listened to the Football Federation Australia's presentations to each state government or the FFA is as dumbshit as the State Gov's are. The FFA seem to think that ikea like flatpack stadiums of the likes found in the UK (southhampton, sunderland, derby etc...) are an appropriete alternative to what the USA will offer.

The State governments are playing aggressively for a Federal stadium grant, which while visually supporting the bid, the Feds have offered nothing of the kind.

Too many states seem to think that Ovals are worthy of inclusion and that FIFA will somehow choose them over a US bid with only rectangle stadiums which on average as we currently speak are light years ahead of Australia's. Mark my words: The 2018 and 2022 WC's will see no Oval stadiums except in extraordinary circumstances.
The best Australia can to do is compromise with retractable seating ala Stade de France.

Major problems being the AFL loving states and their lack of need for rectangular stadiums seating 45 000, even by 2022.

Victoria have a multipurpose stadium in Melbourne's Etihad Stadium, the MCG Oval area is too large for WC soccer while the almost finished Swan Street Stadium can not expand beyond its 31000 seat, even after it was said that the foundations had been built to support further development to 50 000 seats. One may believe this was a lie told to get the Melbourne Victory soccer club to accept the new home even after they were pulling larger crowds to Etihad Stadium.

South Australia seem hell bend on promoting the use of Adelaide Oval as their bid venue. They are having enough problems trying to get cooperation between the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) who want a redevelopment of their home AAMI Stadium (which would not take part in any bid) or co ownership of adelaide oval and the South Australian Cricket Association (SACA) who own the Adelaide Oval.

Western Australia's government refuse to talk of stadiums for another 18months while the 2 AFL clubs, the Rugby Union club and Soccer club beg for major upgrades or new facilities. The developments that have been entertained by teh government have been grossly inadequite. While a previous government's independently run 2 year stadium taskforce recomendations of a 60 000/70 000 seat multipurpose Stadium like State de France has been greatly ignored.

Queenland propose the use of an expanded Carrara Stadium as the venue for the Gold Coast while it is an Oval for Australian Football and is about to be further developed on the cheap for about $130 million AUD, it will also be used as the athletics stadium if the GC are successful in their commonwealth games bid. The Gold Coast rectangle stadium, finished 2 years ago seats 27500. Some bell-ends at HOK designed it so it is prohibitively expensive to expand.
There is also the very expensive exercise of reengineering Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium's roof so the 3rd teir can fill the corners in a tight effort to raise capacity to over 60 000 for the potential hosting of major knockout games.
Townsville needs a totally new stadium, Dairy Farmers is a total joke.

New South Wales is in the best position with Sydney's ANZ stadium and the Sydney Football Stadium needing only standard developments to being them up to 2018/2022 stadards. ANZ may temporarily square the ends off to create a more intimate enviroment. SFS will need to shorten the field, after the last facelift it is still to long for even Rugby. This will create extra space for seating, SFS will also need far more corporate and VIP facilities.
Newcastle's Stadium is currently being expanded with ample room for futher additions which has been illustrated in plans and impressions.
Canberra will probably need a new stadium, Bruce stadiums field is too long and the seating too shallow.
Wollongong/Illawara regions population and growth suggests it should be in a bid. The area lacks a perminent Rugby League club and doesn't have a Soccer club. WIN Stadium doesn't have the room to be rebuilt to hold 45 000 so a new stadium is essential yet typical of throwing good money after bad, WIN stadiums is getting a new Grand Stand on its western wing to bering capacity to 23000 including a huge amount of standing room.

Tasmania seems to have surrendered to the idea they will not be in a bid yet the state has 500 000 people, more than North Queensland and with higher density. I'd like to see a rounded rectangle stadium of 45 000 in Hobart. After a potential WC, the first tier is burried or made into a carpark, the field raised and you are left with an Oval for AFl seating 24000/28000. Kind of a Reverse of what they did to the City of Manchester Stadium after the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Rough Drawing of Hobart idea:

WC mode

Post WC, ground tier remove and filled in with earth or carpark, reducing capacity by around 18000/20000.

Last edited by Walbanger; October 20th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

^ I think an oval stadium or two will be allowed. I wouldn't think that FIFA would not allow any after how much athletics stadiums they've allowed, but to bank on FIFA not frowning upon using more than one or two would be foolish.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #11
Brissy4me

Likes (Received): 3

What about QEII Stadium (ANZ Stadium) in Brisbane?
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=5
Seats 48,400

And the Gabba could be modified, currently seats 42,000.
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=52
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Lord David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I think Skilled Park would be used over Carrara Stadium.

Skilled : 27,500
Carrara : 23,500
Skilled Park will not be used, as there is limited area for any expansion. Unless the expansion problem is solved, don't expect it for WC matches.

The main problem I see is not the simple removal of the roof and say, the construction of a second tier to meet capacity, but is the fact that the stadium is built as such that there is limited area around it for any possible upgrade. If the area problem is solved, then maybe, but Carrara will most certainly be used as the alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissy4me View Post
What about QEII Stadium (ANZ Stadium) in Brisbane?
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=5
Seats 48,400

And the Gabba could be modified, currently seats 42,000.
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=52
Neither will be used, one has a slightly ideal athletics track, the other is oval. At any rate, Brisbane already has a capable rectangular venue and won't be hosting 2 venues.

As for Melbourne, expect the MCG to be used as to sheer capacity. FIFA should allow the MCG to be used provided that the Great Southern Stand is upgraded/renovated, which it is.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #13
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

I like the Idea for Hobart especially because i just heard on the radio the AFL are finaly considering a team in tasmania. these two could tie in nicely with each other.
In terms of venues in Melbourne and Sydney I think Melbourne will get the two venues MCG (will be included due to sheer capacity) and Etihad, While Sydney will get SFS and Hiomebush because you could say they are in different citys.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #14
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Here is the solution.

Play the World Cup in Oz, but play under Australian Rules football laws so a)we win it and make the tournament a success b)you can use the existing stadia and the legacy would not go to waste.

It is all football afterall, an alien wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

If FIFA's World Cup was run under America's Cup rules. The host gets to chose the rules. We would be in business.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM   #15
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Ugh, please no ovals...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM   #16
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Australia need to pull one giant rabbit out of the hat to beat the USA with oval stadiums and a less dense country!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #17
Ragarms

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Here is the solution.

Play the World Cup in Oz, but play under Australian Rules football laws so a)we win it and make the tournament a success b)you can use the existing stadia and the legacy would not go to waste.

It is all football afterall, an alien wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

If FIFA's World Cup was run under America's Cup rules. The host gets to chose the rules. We would be in business.
Hilarious.

We can't even beat a team of Irish amateurs at the closest thing they can come up with to a hybrid game.

Don't assume Australia would win a WC of Aussie Rules!

Back on topic, I just can't see us winning a WC bid. EVER.
Sure it'd be great, and we're teh awesomest, and we can host major events, but I cannot see how we could get enough venues to WC standard - period.

Add to that small population density, distance between venues, television viewing hours - there're just far too many negatives to overcome.
Ragarms no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #18
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ugh, please no ovals...
Agree.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #19
Lord David

Ovals, ovals, ovals... Yer definitely going to expect the MCG, Adelaide Oval though unideal, might look decent once fully upgraded, Cararra is the Gold Coast option, perhaps that could be upgraded so that seating can be closer to the field or in a rectangular convertible seating format.

So it's gonna be, definitely 1, 2 at least, possibly 3, at most 4. If Hobart does go ahead with a venue, it better be a downsize rectangular or convertible stadium.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM   #20
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragarms View Post
Add to that small population density, distance between venues, television viewing hours - there're just far too many negatives to overcome.
Distance between venues would be similar to the USA. Television viewing hours is still advantageous, we have roughly two thirds of the world population around our timezone. I'm not sure how population density is going to matter.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/austr...d-plans-248376
Bump no está en línea  

Closed Thread