daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:15 PM   #181
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
would there be much opposition from the NRL and AFL for the disruption in their leagues? If there is it might hurt Australia's chances when FIFA could just go for countries like the USA who could easily accomodate the World Cup schedule.They would have to back down if Austrailia are to host.
Welcome to December.
krudmonk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #182
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsputnik View Post
I'd be more than happy for FIFA to jam their dictatorial requirements up their arse.

If worst comes to worst and the actual Australian domestic competitions are disrupted, I would hope the government comes to the party and hands out some nice little compensation packages. They seem more than happy to throw billions at the feet of the incompetent FFA and corrupt FIFA mobs.
AFL fan?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #183
Pessimistic

Likes (Received): 0

Hi, Im new here came from a discussion in Bigfooty and theres a little less acrimony and more discussion in here.

My question is if there were to be regioanl stadiums which were to be useful after a world cup - possibly reconfigurable between oval and rectangular.

I saw the 'fill in the lower tier idea and that has merit.

but how about something alon the lines of this south african stadium ?

Royal Bafokeng Stadium
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=533583

It struck me that the main height and facilities could be on one side, and small tiers of seating around the other sides could be mobile - reconfiguable between oval, rectangular etc etc.
In this way a 40k stadium for the WC could become a reconfigurable stadium of lesser capacity once the WC was over. The one high side design would also be good in a coastal setting, or where there is a nice park to look onto. the niew could face that way
Pessimistic no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #184
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Well you could look at Peter Mokaba or Mbombela stadium and just have the second tier portions, not part of the grandstand as temporary seating.

In any WC venue, the main functions, spaces, and FIFA required areas are in the grandstand.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #185
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic View Post
Hi, Im new here came from a discussion in Bigfooty and theres a little less acrimony and more discussion in here.

My question is if there were to be regioanl stadiums which were to be useful after a world cup - possibly reconfigurable between oval and rectangular.

I saw the 'fill in the lower tier idea and that has merit.

but how about something alon the lines of this south african stadium ?

Royal Bafokeng Stadium
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=533583

It struck me that the main height and facilities could be on one side, and small tiers of seating around the other sides could be mobile - reconfiguable between oval, rectangular etc etc.
In this way a 40k stadium for the WC could become a reconfigurable stadium of lesser capacity once the WC was over. The one high side design would also be good in a coastal setting, or where there is a nice park to look onto. the niew could face that way
I can't imagine there being any WC stadia in regional areas outside NSW or QLD, there's not alot of need for ovals up this way.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #186
Ragarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I can't imagine there being any WC stadia in regional areas outside NSW or QLD, there's not alot of need for ovals up this way.
This is where I'd hope that FIFA could turn to grey some of the black and white in their hosting requirements.

We are not like Europe (or the USA).

We have pockets of population separated by vast distances with not much in between.

What is the point in having twelve compliant stadiums when there are only six realistic population centres capable of hosting such an event.

If we don't get the WC it won't be because we won't be able to host it, we won't get it because we won't be able to comply with FIFA demands that, quite frankly, cannot expect to work in a country of our size and population.
Ragarms no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #187
Wezza
©

Multi use stadiums (retractable seating) will be fine, but having multiple cricket stadiums in our bid is just not good enough IMO.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #188
Pessimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragarms View Post
This is where I'd hope that FIFA could turn to grey some of the black and white in their hosting requirements.

We are not like Europe (or the USA).

We have pockets of population separated by vast distances with not much in between.

What is the point in having twelve compliant stadiums when there are only six realistic population centres capable of hosting such an event.

If we don't get the WC it won't be because we won't be able to host it, we won't get it because we won't be able to comply with FIFA demands that, quite frankly, cannot expect to work in a country of our size and population.
I looked at population spread in south africa and its similar there. One stadium is in a region with 200k poeple and looks to be a white elephant (apt really as it has giraffes and zebras in the architechture). One is in 400k area and 2 are each in 600k areas.

Interestingly these regions have 30+k rectangular stadiums which are being upgraded.
Johannesburg is to have two stadiums but there were other cities with second stadiums available.

What I am saying is south africa is similar to autralia but the fifa rules werent relaxed.

In oz youd have 3 venues in sydney, 2 in melbourne, 2 in bris gold coast (no shortage of hotel rooms there) and one each in adelaide and perth. just one more actual stadoum needed to make 10 after that.

That does bring up a second problem - AFL and NRL also need those venues. perhaps some of the budget could go in some kind of contra deal and just build a few 20+k stadiums in the regions which those sports can use during the WC and after
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #189
hangman

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic View Post
In oz youd have 3 venues in sydney, 2 in melbourne, 2 in bris gold coast (no shortage of hotel rooms there) and one each in adelaide and perth. just one more actual stadoum needed to make 10 after that.
The problem, as I understand it, is that FIFA rules state only one city can have two venues and everybody else must have only one. That makes two in sydney/melbourne and one in the other, then one each for brisbane, gold coast, adelaide, perth.

So we need 5 venues outside those cities - i think while only ten stadia will be used, we need 12 to present to FIFA. I could be wrong.
hangman no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #190
adamsputnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
AFL fan?
Aside from that, just not a fan of of FIFA. They just seem a bit too 'tyrannical' if that's the right word, for my tastes. Seem to be a pretty inflexible and uncaring bunch.

That said, if the government is going to throw a bunch of money at this, and FIFA likes what it sees - I don't think there's much anyone can do but bend over and take it.
adamsputnik no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #191
Pessimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
The problem, as I understand it, is that FIFA rules state only one city can have two venues and everybody else must have only one. That makes two in sydney/melbourne and one in the other, then one each for brisbane, gold coast, adelaide, perth.

So we need 5 venues outside those cities - i think while only ten stadia will be used, we need 12 to present to FIFA. I could be wrong.
That seems to be the consensus in here and bigfooty, but in UK websites I got an inkling up to two cities could have two venues - although its not their preference.
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #192
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I was spekaing to a person who works for Grocon and apparently the state government were in talk with AFL to make a compramise for the WC.

It was Grocon redevelop the MCG to 120 000 and lower the seating for the view of soocer. Then after it's raised again. But nothing is final...
Solopop no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #193
kennerado

Likes (Received): 2

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/arti...-cup-agreement
kennerado no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #194
mattwinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennerado View Post
And the Australian bid overcomes it's biggest obstacle.
mattwinter no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #195
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

This is the final list of 12 Stadiums in the Australia Bid book to be presented Friday.

MCG,Melbourne-95,000
ANZ stadium,Sydney-90,000
Subiaco Oval,Perth-70,000
Adelaide Oval,Adelaide-60,000
Suncorp Stadium,Brisbane-60,000
Blacktown Stadium,Sydney-50,000
SFS,Sydney-46,000
Canberra Stadium,Canberra -45,000
Newcastle Stadium,Newcastle-45,000
Townsville Stadium,Townsville-45,000
Carrara Stadium,Gold Coast-45,000
Kardinia Park,Geelong -45,000

While we are not sure on exact plans for capacities,we are sure to find out Friday.

I think this is what we will see in terms of ground configurations.
Rectangle stadiums(permanant seats) -6
Rectangle stadiums(retractable seats) - 2
Rectangle stadiums(temporary seats) - 3
Oval stadium - 1

Total
Rectangle Stadiums-11
Oval -1

Average Stadium capacity: 58,000

Most likely 2 venues will be culled for a final total of 10 stadiums in around 2017.(For 2022 Finals)
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #196
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Blacktown, white elephant...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #197
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Blacktown, white elephant...
The plan for Blacktown is to downsize to around 30,000.Ideal for an A League team.In saying that,I personally believe Campbelltown or Liverpool would be a better option,where the NRL clubs such as Canterbury and Wests Tigers would look favourably at a 30K seater in that region.

As for white Elephant...1/12 then aint bad.
Go look at South Africa and I can pick 3-4 white elephants off the top of my head...as for Qatar....LOL
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #198
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
The plan for Blacktown is to downsize to around 30,000.Ideal for an A League team.In saying that,I personally believe Campbelltown or Liverpool would be a better option,where the NRL clubs such as Canterbury and Wests Tigers would look favourably at a 30K seater in that region.

As for white Elephant...1/12 then aint bad.
Go look at South Africa and I can pick 3-4 white elephants off the top of my head...as for Qatar....LOL
They will be down sized, except for the main stadium
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #199
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
They will be down sized, except for the main stadium
That is irrelevant. Does Qatar really need 11 odd 25,000 seater stadiums? Or an 80,000 seater national stadium only to be used once in a potential future Olympics?
Lord David no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #200
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
That is irrelevant. Does Qatar really need 11 odd 25,000 seater stadiums? Or an 80,000 seater national stadium only to be used once in a potential future Olympics?
Doha is bidding for the 2020 olympics. we have local leagues and cups.
We already have many stadiums, we are building around 6 new ones and its all part of Qatar's vision 2030, the stadiums are part of the national masterplan, they will be built weather we get 2022 or not.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  

Closed Thread