daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 06:22 AM   #281
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS20 View Post
Yeah but ExSydney, as the commissioner of the AFL, that is pretty much his job. Soccer is only going to get bigger, and he has a duty to protect his sport. The United States is the only other country in the world where there would possibly be an issue over competing sports - yet that is resolved by the fact that a WC would be in the NFL off season.

Australia is a unique case as you would well know. A WC is a kick in the guts to all other sports singlehandedly. While I want to see soccer become number 1 (and I'm confident it will do that by the end of this century regardless of whether we get it or not), I can also understand why the AFL is being myopic.
In a way,this report gives me more confidence in us winning the bid.Its in FIFAs mentality to not care about opposition and in a way confront it and crush them.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #282
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

FIFA and soccer are so big that I honestly doubt they care one iota about what goes on in Australia. I suspect anyone in the organization has more than likely never heard of the sport. And if anything, they would know that soccer has the best participation rates in the country, that it now has a league, and the national team doing well. What more could FIFA want?

As for winning it, no question the bid is right up there, but I'm more concerned about the value of other bids in comparison.
MS20 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM   #283
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

...OMFG.

Don't the AFL realise that WC would bring WORD PUBLICATION, and people will take more notice of Australia, and we may even get more tourism, and thats good for the ECONOMY AS WELL AS AFL IN THE LONG RUN!

Its not like all of Australia will stop watching and playing Footy, its our national sport.
Anyway A-league is shit xD. So we will just watching European leagues, and watch AFL xD

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:50 AM   #284
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

They're assuming FIFA allows the AFL to continue during the WC.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM   #285
Vilak
Let's dance in style!

Likes (Received): 6

the 2018 world cup will go to Europe to continue the cycle. you should concentrate your effort for 2022 cause 2018 is out of grab for any country outside Europe.
Vilak no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM   #286
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
...OMFG.

Don't the AFL realise that WC would bring WORD PUBLICATION, and people will take more notice of Australia, and we may even get more tourism, and thats good for the ECONOMY AS WELL AS AFL IN THE LONG RUN!

Its not like all of Australia will stop watching and playing Footy, its our national sport.
Anyway A-league is shit xD. So we will just watching European leagues, and watch AFL xD
The AFL is practically getting money and "free" upgraded stadiums, NRL and ARU to a lesser extent.

AFL shouldn't feel threatened, why if MLS and the NFL can co-exist together, not to mention facing competition from the NBA and MLB, then surely such a thing can thrive in Oz without Soccer threatening the other codes.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #287
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

Most of these upgraded stadiums would happen regardless whether Australia wins the world cup or not.

Of course the AFL should feel threatened. They are getting kicked out of a few of their stadiums and will not be the centre of attention for a while during their season. Also Australia isn't as large of a market as the USA.

The AFL are well within their rights to try and protect themselves. However, I believe they went too far. It's certainly not like their code is going to collapse. I also think they have done their code more damage than good by being so unhelpful and, dare I say it, Un-Australian.
Bump no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM   #288
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
Most of these upgraded stadiums would happen regardless ..... say it, Un-Australian.
Un-Australian?
What does that mean?
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM   #289
hangman

Likes (Received): 5

Acting in a manner contrary to the values and interests of australia. Not rocket science
hangman no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM   #290
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 437

The real truth is the AFL had the stadium access contracts and could exercise its power on those agreements.

Short sighted thinking? Yes. Arrogant? Definately. In their rights to do what they did? Yes. Theres many opinions on this, but the WC should be considered definately as a 'national interest', however sport is business and every cent counts.

The fact is the Vic govt did not have many options in its corner to use for the AFL. There was no other ground the AFL could use, that covered its size/capacity requirements in Melbourne. The govt was not going to spend money on a new stadium when it just spent close to $300 mil on AAMI Park and was certainly going to ask the Federal govt to pay for any changes required to that stadium. If the Fed did not want to come to the table, it was a no go.

Truth is, a stadium in an area like South Morang / Epping would be a good move with a train line there and the Heart located nearby. Another location could be Dandenong, for AFL/Additional A-League. The issue is a stadium would need to be 40,000 + and be reduced afterwards, with limited usage likely. A few Heart matches at the stadium would not do it. It would need other tenants to make it viable. The same issue that the Blacktown stadium will have also, but theres more of a chance that West Syd could fill the stadium with NRL and A-League games.
Melb_aviator está en línea ahora  
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:28 AM   #291
Lord David

Is it possible to resurrect Princes Park? Should that be the case, then the AFL have their 2nd Melbourne venue right there.

The only problem I can see is Perth, but I suppose the 2 Perth teams can play "away" for 10 weeks, at Adelaide's Football Park, or alternatively a temporary stadium built in Perth for the AFL using the compensation from the WC?
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM   #292
Mo Rush

If Australia has to delay the AFL season then would there be any stadium use issues at all?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM   #293
Lord David

At most I'd expect the AFL and NRL to take a 4 week break (actual WC) but be in use prior and after (6 week period) the WC.

The AFL is practically sacrificing 6 stadiums, but has alternatives for use, Perth is a problem, but considering 1 game per week for the 2 Perth based teams, it isn't as much as a problem as compared to the core of the AFL, situated in Melbourne. Which was the primary reason the AFL wanted at least 1 stadium (Etihad) for the period the other stadiums would be unavailable.

There will be no delay, but could have a forced break at FIFA's insistence (which hopefully shouldn't happen). The AFL and NRL will work around these things, after all, the WC benefits them too!

Currently there's no stadium use issues, since Ethiad isn't on offer.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #294
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post

But if its not in use during the WC and FIFA want it, what would be the problem?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM   #295
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
But if its not in use during the WC and FIFA want it, what would be the problem?
We don't want it gone in the 6 week lead up period
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM   #296
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_johnson View Post
We don't want it gone in the 6 week lead up period
6 weeks? says who? Its more like two weeks.

6 weeks only if the pitch is compromised.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM   #297
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
At most I'd expect the AFL and NRL to take a 4 week break (actual WC) but be in use prior and after (6 week period) the WC.

The AFL is practically sacrificing 6 stadiums, but has alternatives for use, Perth is a problem, but considering 1 game per week for the 2 Perth based teams, it isn't as much as a problem as compared to the core of the AFL, situated in Melbourne. Which was the primary reason the AFL wanted at least 1 stadium (Etihad) for the period the other stadiums would be unavailable.

There will be no delay, but could have a forced break at FIFA's insistence (which hopefully shouldn't happen). The AFL and NRL will work around these things, after all, the WC benefits them too!

Could possibly play at the WACA?
I donno if they can make it suitable tho.

Btw, the new Perth stadium, if built, I know I should know this since Im from perth, haha but r they destroying subi, and making it there?

When you can build a completely new one in a different location, and use the old one for AFL?
Don't see why they can't do that.

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #298
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1124

^ Yeah, the Eagles and Dockers could probably play at the WACA. No doubt the WACA would be following whats going on. The field has been squared off but it would currently only be around $1 million worth of earth work to return it to Australian Football dimmensions. The WACA will be around 28 000 / 35 000 by 2022 with its privately financed redevelopment. Smaller than what Perth AFL needs but will do for a few weeks. Alternatively Perth could build a temporary stadium like Vancouver have done for the BC Lions and Whitecaps while BC Place changes its roof. Include it in the bugeting for the new Perth stadium and build a 45 / 55 000 seat temporary stadium with modular stands like those at Brisbanes Qe2 Stadium. Build it at the Claremont showgrounds, Arena Joondalup or where ever.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #299
south
always lost

Looks like the AFL and NRL can breathe sighs of relief; Australia's bids look finished thanks to the Asian Confederation... (or more precisely, its president):

Lowy in damage control as Asian boss backs Europe for '18 Cup push
MICHAEL LYNCH
June 10, 2010

RANDFONTEIN: Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup looks dead in the water after the Asian Football Confederation delivered a body blow to the campaign when it said it would throw its weight behind a European bid to host that tournament when the decision on the venue is made in December.

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy was scrambling to limit the damage after speaking at a school presentation in Randfontein, near Johannesburg, on Tuesday, insisting that Australia would press ahead with its bid for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, a campaign it has now waged for the past two years.

The United States is the only other country bidding to host either tournament, and Australia's prospects would look to be negligible if it cannot secure the support of its own FIFA confederation. There are several other Asian bids in for 2022, including Qatar, the home of the AFC president Mohamed bin Hammam.

''I have said it a number of times before. We have a bid in for 2018 and 2022. America has the same and we are the only ones who can decide to pull out. We haven't decided it yet. If we do, we will let the world know. Meanwhile, we are legitimate bidders for 2018 and 2022,'' Lowy said.

When asked for his reaction to bin Hammam's move, Lowy said that just because the AFC had opted to throw its support behind a European bid for 2018 - which FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has also made clear is the game's governing body's preference - didn't mean the regional organisation had abandoned Australia.

''Who said he is not supporting Australia? OK, so he is not supporting 2018, but [he's] supporting us for 2022. I mean this is the AFC's choice, we are in for both. We will be pushing it like we have done it for two-and-a-half years. I know there is a consensus, there is plenty of time for us to think of what to do or not to do. Meanwhile we are legitimate bidders for 2018 and so is US. If I thought I had a better chance for 2022 now, we would bid for 2022, but at the moment I don't.''

Full article
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #300
hangman

Likes (Received): 5

this again. 2018 was always going to europe, 2022 is the one we want.
hangman no está en línea  

Closed Thread