daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #301
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
Looks like the AFL and NRL can breathe sighs of relief; Australia's bids look finished thanks to the Asian Confederation... (or more precisely, its president):

Why is the bid finished?..Australia are bidding for 2022 as well.Just because a Qatari AFC President understands that any success for Australia in 2018 means a death sentence to the Qatar 2022 bid.

Australia will not get 2018,but are looking at getting a core base of votes secure for 2022.

The Australian bid is far from finished.In fact,its as strong as ever and personally strong enough to be considered the best bid for 2022 and deserved favourites.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #302
RobH

Likes (Received): 10331

Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
Looks like the AFL and NRL can breathe sighs of relief; Australia's bids look finished thanks to the Asian Confederation... (or more precisely, its president):

Lowy in damage control as Asian boss backs Europe for '18 Cup push
MICHAEL LYNCH
June 10, 2010

RANDFONTEIN: Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup looks dead in the water after the Asian Football Confederation delivered a body blow to the campaign when it said it would throw its weight behind a European bid to host that tournament when the decision on the venue is made in December.

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy was scrambling to limit the damage after speaking at a school presentation in Randfontein, near Johannesburg, on Tuesday, insisting that Australia would press ahead with its bid for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, a campaign it has now waged for the past two years.

The United States is the only other country bidding to host either tournament, and Australia's prospects would look to be negligible if it cannot secure the support of its own FIFA confederation. There are several other Asian bids in for 2022, including Qatar, the home of the AFC president Mohamed bin Hammam.

''I have said it a number of times before. We have a bid in for 2018 and 2022. America has the same and we are the only ones who can decide to pull out. We haven't decided it yet. If we do, we will let the world know. Meanwhile, we are legitimate bidders for 2018 and 2022,'' Lowy said.

When asked for his reaction to bin Hammam's move, Lowy said that just because the AFC had opted to throw its support behind a European bid for 2018 - which FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has also made clear is the game's governing body's preference - didn't mean the regional organisation had abandoned Australia.

''Who said he is not supporting Australia? OK, so he is not supporting 2018, but [he's] supporting us for 2022. I mean this is the AFC's choice, we are in for both. We will be pushing it like we have done it for two-and-a-half years. I know there is a consensus, there is plenty of time for us to think of what to do or not to do. Meanwhile we are legitimate bidders for 2018 and so is US. If I thought I had a better chance for 2022 now, we would bid for 2022, but at the moment I don't.''

Full article
What a load of gash, and from an Australian paper as well?!

Europe is set to get 2018, everyone knows that. By doing deals to support a European WC in 2018, the Asian Confederation are actually STRENGTHENING their position for 2022 as there will be deals hammered out - "support us for 2018 and we'll support you for 2022", that sort of thing.

By not playing ball by making 2018 difficult for Europe Asia would be shooting themselves in the foot and the US could sneak through.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #303
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

The Age is hardly creditable in reporting AFL let along Soccer (football).
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #304
RobH

Likes (Received): 10331

BBC News Ticker: Australia pulls out of race to host 2018 World Cup, will focus on 2022 instead
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #305
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

^Tis True

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au...l.aspx?view=69

Quote:
Australia to withdraw from 2018 and focus on 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid

June 11, 2010

After several months of dialogue with FIFA and Members of its Executive Committee, FFA Chairman Frank Lowy, AC, and FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke have issued a joint statement today pertaining to Australia's Bid for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) in a joint statement with FIFA, announced today that it will focus its bidding campaign on 2022.

The decision, which was coordinated with European Executive Committee Members, has been welcome by FIFA, whose CEO Jerome Valcke said: "The FFA and my office as well as the FIFA President have been in constant dialogue about Australia's bidding intentions since last autumn.

“The FFA have displayed an exemplary level of solidarity with Europe and the European Bidding Nations and were among the very first to enter into an open and constructive dialogue with me after it became apparent that there was a growing movement to stage the 2018 World Cup in Europe.

“Their announcement of today therefore, to henceforth focus solely on bidding for the 2022 World Cup, is a welcome gesture that is much appreciated by FIFA's leadership and Executive Committee.

“We wish to thank Mr Lowy, the FFA and the Australian Government for allowing the 2018 vote to focus on a European bidding nation".

Mr Lowy confirmed FFA’s decision to withdraw from the 2018 bid and concentrate on 2022.

"We have been in discussion with FIFA for months and it is that trusting relationship with the leadership of the governing body that has caused us to focus on 2022 and decide to leave the field for 2018 to European contenders.

"The FFA's decision was in planning since October 2009 and its leadership, after careful consideration and analysis, has now decided to focus its bidding on 2022.”
My only problem with this is that my state government now has an extra 4 years to be a beacon of lazyness and not build the much need replacement for Subiaco Oval.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #306
south
always lost

Likes (Received): 2

Right, sorry guys, I should've said 'bid' not 'bids'. I mis-read Lowy's quote in the Age article.

Guess I'm still wondering what the AFC pres got in return for switching support to Europe, though...
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #307
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I reackon we'll end up supporting England now.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #308
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
I reackon we'll end up supporting England now.
Russia for 2018!
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #309
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

England 2018.

Qatar is gonna be crapping its pants, because now we are just concentrating on 2022...wouldnt you assume the qatar AFC guy, would try put down Australia so that his country will get it 2022...?

I sure hope they somehow pull out haha, otherwise I dont know if we will have much of a chance...he would have more relations with FIFA
xD

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #310
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
England 2018.

Qatar is gonna be crapping its pants, because now we are just concentrating on 2022...wouldnt you assume the qatar AFC guy, would try put down Australia so that his country will get it 2022...?

I sure hope they somehow pull out haha, otherwise I dont know if we will have much of a chance...he would have more relations with FIFA
xD
I wouldn't be so sure that Bin Hammam (AFC President) will have a huge amount of influence, as he will likely need to remain impatial in many ways because of the divisions it would cause for other Asian candidates, of which Australia is one of his supporters. He only marginally hung on to power at the last election, with the support of several East Asian nations, so taking that for granted and putting down an Australian bid would not go down well. Japan and Sth Korea were behind the move to unseat in at the last election, so I do not see much love going their way though. FIFA politics is an interesting beast though, but there are many levels of risk in this chess game if he choses to go all out in support of Qatar's bid.

On the topic of a bid, Qatar's nomination is flawed in many ways. It is clearly too small to bid alone, so based on technical requirements, I would suspect it will not be viewed as a serious competitor at the end of the day. It has cash to burn, which is likely the only thing it has going for it at the moment. If money talks, then Qatar and the USA are at the front. If the desire to grow the game and have hosts that can sustainably host the event, without rebuilding the whole country with excess capacity to do it, then the USA and Australia are leading.

Japan and Sth Korea had the event only 8 years ago, which would have been 20 years by the time of 2022. It was not a star performance hosting on that occassion and that was jointly run. Crowds were not huge and it only made a small dent commercially in expectations, so not sure they will be seriously considered this time.

A joint bid with the UAE I would see as a serious competitor to any bid on the table. An Arab WC would be great though, so maybe if national pride is taken out of it, they would consider a Joint bid for future WC's.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #311
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Being here in South Africa and witnessing the scale of this event, its really just way beyond Qatar
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #312
jacoboy7

Can't wait for it to start tonight ::D

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #313
Solopop
Solopop

I'm staying up.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #314
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

Lets get one thing straight - QATAR DOESN'T HAVE A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL OF WINNING THE 2022 WORLD CUP!!!

FIFA isn't that stupid.

For 2022, Australia's only serious competition is USA. They have us beat on stadium capacity by a long way, but we have them on every other level. Not to sound biased but FIFA can't NOT give 2022 to Australia. It makes too much sense to have it here.
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #315
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

We will see about that in 2nd of December
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #316
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

OK then.........We will see.
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #317
jacoboy7

Qatar doesnt have the infrastructure, or population to pull off a world cup though :S.

All they have is money and relations.

Australia does top you on everything else, including passion for it hahah Or, is that an arguable statement haha

Old June 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #318
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Wrong thread to discuss this, but take note its an Arab bid
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #319
Solopop
Solopop

^

No it's a Qatar bid.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #320
Solopop
Solopop

Quote:
Indonesia backs Australia's 2022 FIFA World Cup Bid
June 12, 2010

"The Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) has today come out in support of Australia’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup™ in 2022.

In what is a significant show of friendship and support between the PSSI and Football Federation Australia (FFA), the backing throws further momentum behind Australia’s campaign to host the world’s biggest sporting tournament.

Indonesia had initially indicated their desire to formally bid to host the FIFA World Cup™.

The backing of a key player within the Asian Football Confederation, and also the fourth largest country by population, highlights the strengths of Australia’s bid. FFA Chairman Frank Lowy AC, has been leading the Bid Team in South Africa this week, delivering Australia’s vision to put on the best World Cup ever, directly to members of FIFA’s Executive Committee.

“It is with great pleasure that I can tell the world of our support for Australia’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup” says PSSI President Nurdin Halid

“The PSSI has developed a strong bond with the FFA and I have seen with my own eyes the dedication and support for the World Cup amongst the Australian people.

We have seen some great scenes of celebration here in South Africa in recent days and I can say with confidence the people of Australia will put on a show second to none.

“Australia is the only continent left not to have hosted the FIFA World Cup™. Bringing the tournament to Australia will greatly enhance the development of football across the region and further into Asia.

“The financial pull of a FIFA World Cup in Asia is also compelling. All of Asia would both enjoy and benefit from a FIFA World Cup in Australia.”

FFA Chairman Frank Lowy AC says he welcomes the public support of the PSSI.

“I am grateful to President Halid and the PSSI for this public declaration. Our friendship is strong and to have the backing of the PSSI only serves to reaffirm my belief in our bid and in the excellent tournament and welcome we would give the world in 2022.

“I have been having a busy and productive week in speaking directly to members of FIFA’s Executive Committee. I am heartened by the response I am receiving, although there is plenty of work still do over the coming months.

“Australia kick off their World Cup campaign on Sunday and I know our supporters, both here in South Africa and back home will show FIFA how much they support football and the FIFA World Cup™.”

The PSSI and FFA signed a landmark agreement earlier this year. Under the five-year deal, FFA will assist the PSSI in the development of coaches, players, referees, grassroots football and women’s football and host training visits for Indonesian players, coaches and officials.

A key part of the agreement will see the PSSI assist the FFA to fully integrate into South East Asian football and the ASEAN Football Federation and provide competition for Australian teams at a range of age levels and formats."
http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au...l.aspx?view=70
Solopop no está en línea  

Closed Thread