daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #321
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

I went to the FIFA fan fest this morning/last night in sydney and it only proves more to me how ready Australia is to host a world cup, the streets were alive, everyone friendly, noone covered up(unlike some countries) and families and everyone feeling safe all at 2:30 in the morning.

Well done to FIFA for organising such a fantastic fan fest and well done to Australia and Sydney for fully proving that we CAN AND WILL host the 2022 world cup
aus16 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #322
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
Qatar doesnt have the infrastructure, or population to pull off a world cup though :S.

All they have is money and relations.

Australia does top you on everything else, including passion for it hahah Or, is that an arguable statement haha
By 2022, Qatar will have infrastructure that would be far better than that of Australia. Besides if the United Arab Emirates can beat Australia with their infrastructure then there is no reason for Qatar not to.
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus16 View Post
I went to the FIFA fan fest this morning/last night in sydney and it only proves more to me how ready Australia is to host a world cup, the streets were alive, everyone friendly, noone covered up(unlike some countries) and families and everyone feeling safe all at 2:30 in the morning.

Well done to FIFA for organising such a fantastic fan fest and well done to Australia and Sydney for fully proving that we CAN AND WILL host the 2022 world cup
Qatar is a safer country than Australia.
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #324
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
By 2022, Qatar will have infrastructure that would be far better than that of Australia. Besides if the United Arab Emirates can beat Australia with their infrastructure then there is no reason for Qatar not to.
Ah, but the UAE isn't bidding! If it were bidding jointly with Qatar, then we'd be more inclined to take it seriously, but it's not!
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Ah, but the UAE isn't bidding! If it were bidding jointly with Qatar, then we'd be more inclined to take it seriously, but it's not!
I wasn't saying they were. I was just showing some uninformed Australians that the Middle East is changing faster then they think it is.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #326
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Qatar is a safer country than Australia.
Evidence, please?
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #327
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

Come on, our criticism of the validity of the Qatar bid is not a criticism of the Middle East or the Arab World. It is an observation of the fact that compared to Australia, Qatar is just too small to host the World Cup. Having 9-12 40000+ stadia in such a small country would leave many white elephants, let alone the logistical problem of hosting hundreds of thousands of international fans.

I agree that bidding in conjunction with the UAE would have made the bid far more viable. However, would either country allow Israel to compete if it qualified? The Middle East might be changing, but it will still be mired in its own geopolitical and religious problems for decades to come.

Australia has no such problems and is building stadium infrastructure that is going to leave a permanent legacy.
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Evidence, please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #329
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

That's hilarious. You call that evidence? Safety is not meant to be linked to murder rates. Less than half a murder difference per 100000 people does not extra safety make. But thanks for showing me info that homicide rates are higher in New Zealand than they are in Australia. That will come in handy at Trivia Night.

Qatar is in close proximity to Iraq, Iran, Lebanon and Israel/Palestine. That's a nice warm blanket of religious extremism, don't you think?

That's what people talk about when they say "safety".
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #330
Snorky33

Likes (Received): 3

Is Qatar that dumb? For them to challenge Aus & USA in any way there must be a bid from the whole UAE, even then it will still be a distant 3rd place... sure we all agree that Aussie are the favorites to host in 2022, but the worry is FIFA's obsession for the mighty dollar...so yes for pure sport it's Aussie all the way and for pure money it's USA for sure. Question: does the F in FIFA stand for football or finances?

Sepp Blatter
Snorky33 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
Come on, our criticism of the validity of the Qatar bid is not a criticism of the Middle East or the Arab World.
I wasn't saying that all of you were, but aus16 obviously was questioning the viability of the Middle East.

Quote:
It is an observation of the fact that compared to Australia, Qatar is just too small to host the World Cup. Having 9-12 40000+ stadia in such a small country would leave many white elephants, let alone the logistical problem of hosting hundreds of thousands of international fans.
Quote:
I agree that bidding in conjunction with the UAE would have made the bid far more viable.
AGAIN I DIDN'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A JOINT BID!

Quote:
However, would either country allow Israel to compete if it qualified?
Yip, if they are good enough to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.- An Israeli Tennis Player is allowed to play tennis in Dubai.

Quote:
The Middle East might be changing, but it will still be mired in its own geopolitical and religious problems for decades to come.
Thats your opinion.

Quote:
Australia has no such problems and is building stadium infrastructure that is going to leave a permanent legacy.
According to SportsPro The UAE has 3 of the worlds best stadiums ,including the Worlds best Cricket Stadium! , if you want to talk about leaving a permanent legacy.

That is enough to prove that Qatar can also do it.

Last edited by Dubaiiscool:); June 12th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan View Post
That's hilarious. You call that evidence? Safety is not meant to be linked to murder rates. Less than half a murder difference per 100000 people does not extra safety make. But thanks for showing me info that homicide rates are higher in New Zealand than they are in Australia. That will come in handy at Trivia Night.

Qatar is in close proximity to Iraq, Iran, Lebanon and Israel/Palestine. That's a nice warm blanket of religious extremism, don't you think?

That's what people talk about when they say "safety".
-What's it meant to be linked to then ?

-Israel woouldn't attack Qatar because they dont have any disputes!

-Iran is also more likely to attack Australia than Qatar.

-And why would Iran attack this event if the world is finally giving the Middle East a chance to shine?

BTW. South Africa is one of the worlds most unsafe countries and it is hosting the World Cup! Oh yeah and I also live in Australia just incase you thought that I live somewhere else.

Last edited by Dubaiiscool:); June 12th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #333
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
According to SportsPro The UAE has 4 of the worlds best stadiums ,including the Worlds best Cricket Stadium! , if you want to talk about leaving a permanent legacy.

That is enough to prove that Qatar can also do it.
That is...not offensive but annoying. You can't say that the UAE has four of he best cricket grounds in the world (especially the best!). Cricket is only rarely played there. If you want to find the best cricket grounds in the world then you have to look in a country that actually plays the game more than three times a year.

Also that link has a polled attached and nearly 50% of voters voted for the MCG (which IS the best cricket ground in the world).

Also, you talk about a permanent legacy, those stadiums can only dream of having the 'legacy' of places like Lords, Wembley, the MCG and even the SCG.

Last edited by Will737; June 12th, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
That is...not offensive but annoying. You can't say that the UAE has four of he best cricket grounds in the world (especially the best!). Cricket is only rarely played there. If you want to find the best best cricket grounds in the world then you have to look in a country that actually plays the game more than three times a year.

Also that link has a polled attached and nearly 50% of voters voted for the MCG (which IS the best cricket ground in the world).

Also, you talk about a permanent legacy, those stadiums can only dream of having the 'legacy' of places like Lords, Wembley, the MCG and even the SCG.
Thats because only Australians voted!
I didn't say 4 of the best. I said the Best Cricket Stadium in the world.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #335
Solopop
Solopop

Quote:
-What's it meant to be linked to then ?

-Israel woouldn't attack Qatar because they dont have any disputes!

-Iran is also more likely to attack Australia than Qatar.

-And why would Iran attack this event if the world is finally giving the Middle East a chance to shine?

BTW. South Africa is one of the worlds most unsafe countries and it is hosting the World Cup! Oh yeah and I also live in Australia just incase you thought that I live somewhere else.
Acctualy Iran would never attack Australia due to the fact we supply uranium to it.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #336
Solopop
Solopop

Quote:
What stadium would that be?

How could you even compare that to the MCG let alone Lords!
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #337
Will737

Quote:
And which stadium would that be? Also I see that I misquoted you, but those grounds still aren't used as much as a ground that can claim to be one of the best in the world. Being one of the world's best stadiums isn't only about looks.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #338
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Dubai is like the ugly bitch in high school who got plastic surgery. Its all a facade. Money can't buy sporting legacy, bl UAE.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #339
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Check the Rankings

Peace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #340
Will737

Oh Dear.

The only reason Qatar is anywhere on that list is because they don't fight in any wars. Also where is South Africa on that list? 121'st, if FIFA can make one exception to that expert GPI then they can surely consider a country ranked 20th over 15th.

Maybe try checking that site again and actually reading it.
Will737 no está en línea  

Closed Thread