daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #361
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
So what? That doesn't make it the best.

Can you please just stop now before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
That proves that it is the only sporting venue that was used to rank Dubai Sport City. Besides the ICC also chose to set up their headquarters in DUBAI SPORT CITY!
Dubaiiscool:) no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #362
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
THE WORLD RICHEST HORSE RACE-DUBAI WORLD CUP

THE WORLDS RICHEST GOLF TOURNAMENT-DUBAI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

A1GP-Who ditched the Gold Coast last year?
Being the richest doesn't make it the best.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #363
Will737

Quote:
That proves that it is the only sporting venue that was used to rank Dubai Sport City. Besides the ICC also chose to set up their headquarters in DUBAI SPORT CITY!
Just stop. Do you have any idea how ridiculous this is getting? It's gone past pathetic to just plain sad.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #364

Quote:
EDIT: I just looked up the Dubai cricket stadium. It's capacity is around 70,000 less than the MCG. What a joke.
So then the Rungrado May Day Stadium in North Korea is the best in the world since it has the biggest capacity in the world.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #365
Will737

Can I ask you why you said Dubai had the best cricket ground in the world?
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #366

Quote:
Can I ask you why you said Dubai had the best cricket ground in the world?
Because of its facilities.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #367
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

I doubt most people who watch cricket are aware of a cricket ground in Dubai. I wasn't. When I think of cricket I think of Lords, the Oval, the MCG, the massive ground in India whose name escapes me. Besides which, what the fook does this have to do with Australia's bid?
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #368
Will737

Will you ever realize that good facilities don't warrant the title of 'best cricket stadium'? I don 't get why Dubai are building these sports grounds, it seems that the only good events they get are between two different countries and don't involve the UAE
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #369
jacoboy7

Likes (Received): 0

Its funny how you say its the best in the world etc, when the usage and the facilities are being used at 1/10 its actual its capacity...

No point building the biggest and/or best stadiums in a place where no one will go.

And why make fun of us, yes we got owned epically, but we all expected it, just not that much xD.
And at least we qualified.

Whats the point of hosting the world cup if you can't even qualify for it though, your just playing the system and reaping the economical benefits.

This is Australias bid thread anyway, stop raging, create another thread on a Aus vs Middle east debate thing, and we will go there and debate, not in here.

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #370
Dc449

Likes (Received): 0

Did anyone mention UAE is in billions of dollars of debt, they spend all this money and can't make it back.
Dc449 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #371
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1124

I don't mind discussing the pros and cons of the likes of Australia and their competing bids from the US, Qatar, Korea and Japan but why are we discussing the UAE?
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #372
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

How can we discuss the performance of Australia in 1 match as being a reflection of its ability to host and embrace an event? What rubbish.

Australia is the mega-events know how expert. People import Australian knowledge to run their events.

There is absolutely no comparison to Qatar, one third the size of Sydney, and Australia as a nation bidding for the event. To try to make any comparisons would be ludicrous.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #373
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
How can we discuss the performance of Australia in 1 match as being a reflection of its ability to host and embrace an event? What rubbish.

Australia is the mega-events know how expert. People import Australian knowledge to run their events.

There is absolutely no comparison to Qatar, one third the size of Sydney, and Australia as a nation bidding for the event. To try to make any comparisons would be ludicrous.
Some SANITY.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #374
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:

Thanks Mo...Plenty of sense in what you are saying.There are plenty of times we can write of South Africa,Japan or Korea as potential hosts if we only look at on field performances at certain times.

I think Australia have boosted their chances for 2022 during this WC.The Durban game was dominated by Australian fans!...Was there any Germans in Durban on Sunday?Consider the facts..An Australian team which has the modest hope of a goal of reaching the second round,against the German team and fans which are there to win the whole thing....and the Australian passion for Football wins out in Durban,in a country where the code is severely lacking in profile,but growing in stature.
Or the 20,000+ fans who turned up at 4am in 5deg weather at Sydney Fan Fest(nevermind the 20,000 who were locked out and turned away due to over capacity)....

At the moment,the team is far from good enough.In saying that,I hope the FFA mob in RSA relay the true support for the National Team to FIFA and not just base it on one poor performance against a team which in all likely way win the tournament.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #375
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6458

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
I think Australia have boosted their chances for 2022 during this WC.The Durban game was dominated by Australian fans!...Was there any Germans in Durban on Sunday?Consider the facts..An Australian team which has the modest hope of a goal of reaching the second round,against the German team and fans which are there to win the whole thing....and the Australian passion for Football wins out in Durban,in a country where the code is severely lacking in profile,but growing in stature.
Or the 20,000+ fans who turned up at 4am in 5deg weather at Sydney Fan Fest(nevermind the 20,000 who were locked out and turned away due to over capacity)....
Totally agree. I think they're aware of the potential for football in Australia - to the point which Sydney is one of six FIFA Fan Fest cities. I honestly don't think there's a single city in Australia that hasn't been struck by World Cup fever. Federation Square in Melbourne was packed, as was Darling Harbour, Reddacliff Place, Circle on Cavill were packed (and that's all I know of, I'm sure it was like it elsewhere too). Despite the disappointing loss, it was still a hell of a lot of fun and people were running around flying Socceroos flags everywhere .

At first I was a bit skeptical about South Africa's hosting of the World Cup, but I definitely think that SA has thus far proven itself capable of hosting intl events. Next stop, the Summer Olympics Games!

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; June 15th, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoboy7 View Post
Whats the point of hosting the world cup if you can't even qualify for it though, your just playing the system and reaping the economical benefits.
South Africa is hosting it but didn't qualify for it.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc449 View Post
Did anyone mention UAE is in billions of dollars of debt, they spend all this money and can't make it back.
Where is your proof?

Besides most countries has debts that they can't pay back.

Last edited by Dubaiiscool:); June 15th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I don't mind discussing the pros and cons of the likes of Australia and their competing bids from the US, Qatar, Korea and Japan but why are we discussing the UAE?
I was using the UAE to compare to what Qatar might look like in the future - infrastrucutre wise. Then some people started insulting Dubai , and every action has a reaction!
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #379
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
South Africa is hosting it but didn't qualify for it.
At the time they were allocated the tournament(2004) they had qualified for the 2002 WC. Learn your facts or GTFO off.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #380

Quote:
Partially agree

Quote:
There is absolutely no comparison to Qatar, one third the size of Sydney, and Australia as a nation bidding for the event.To try to make any comparisons would be ludicrous.
Yip, both countries are unique but Australia has hosted major events before and has developed into a western country whereas Qatar is like a mix of east meets west and is still developing into something.

Every nation needs a first chance to host such event. Just like South Africa is getting it's first chance to host a major sporting event excluding the '95 Rugby World Cup.

Closed Thread