daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #401
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,241
Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Too bad there are no WC venues for Darwin or Hobart. And there is also a decision of which of Australia's two largest stadiums can host the final: the Melbourne Cricket Ground (because of its larger capacity) or the Stadium Australia (the National Stadium). A poll should be created.
Like the USA, Australia doesn't have a national stadium. If we did, our sentimentalities are directed more to our cricket grounds so the MCG and SCG and / or state main venues. The Queenslander have great pride in Lang Park (Suncorp Stadium). ANZ Stadium (Stadium Australia) is probably too young to tug at the heart strings lke the SCG for New South Welshmen.

Well that was a little rant
If Australia wins the bid for 2022, I'd personally like to see the fianl played at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #402
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,208
Likes (Received): 432

Sydney will definately hot the WC final. I do not think there is any denying that.

It will be a bid focused on Sydney as its drawcard. It is known worldwide, it is also FFA's HQ and it is where the bids powerbrokers are from.

This talk of the MCG holding the final is just wishful thinking unfortunately. It would need to be rectangularised in some way and that is just not going to happen. Melb can hope for the WC Draw and maybe the opening game at best.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #403
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,208
Likes (Received): 432

Is there any plans for an Australian Football Academy at all? I know we have the AIS and the state sporting institutions, but something independant and one based around a main development complex and with state off-shoot centres would be great. It is something that has come to mind recently, particularly around this talk of the national curricilum roll-out. It would also help in boosting the amount of WC training bases for countries.

My preferred model would be to have it based in Canberra, with FFA to be based there also. It could be loosely linked with the AIS, but in other ways not strangled by their regulations. Having the major coaches based in 1 place and having secondary training coaches in each state would work well. We should look at centralising the structure, which I know will not please the state Federations, but what we have now has many gaps.

It is one area I think we will need to work on, in that there are not alot of grounds that would be up to standard as training bases around the country and the ones that are might have other uses at the time by other sports.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #404
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Too bad there are no WC venues for Darwin or Hobart. And there is also a decision of which of Australia's two largest stadiums can host the final: the Melbourne Cricket Ground (because of its larger capacity) or the Stadium Australia (the National Stadium). A poll should be created.
Unfortunately Hobart and Darwin are too small to sustain the type of sized stadium FIFA require (Hobart has 120k, with 500k in the island state - Darwin 60k, and there is hardly anyone else living nearby).

As for the final, it will be Sydney. I am a Melbournian, and will scream from the hilltops that the MCG is Australia's greatest sporting stadium. We host the F1 GP, the Australian Open, the one horse race in our country "that stops the nation" (the Melbourne Cup), the one footy grand final that fills a 100k stadium, we are Australia's sporting capital.

HOWEVER, we don't have the Bridge, and we don't have the Opera House. Sydney is a gorgeous post card city, and thats the image the FFA will want to finish on. As Aviator said too, the FFA is incredibly sydney-centric
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #405
Will737
...
 
Will737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Me!bourne
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
't have the Opera House. Sydney is a gorgeous post card city, and thats the image the FFA will want to finish on. As Aviator said too, the FFA is incredibly sydney-centric
Although, by 2022 Melbourne may be Australia's largest city and could have the biggest fan base for the game. If it was 2010 Sydney would get it, but in 2022 it may not be so simple.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #406
jacoboy7
Registered User
 
jacoboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 482
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Unfortunately Hobart and Darwin are too small to sustain the type of sized stadium FIFA require (Hobart has 120k, with 500k in the island state - Darwin 60k, and there is hardly anyone else living nearby).

As for the final, it will be Sydney. I am a Melbournian, and will scream from the hilltops that the MCG is Australia's greatest sporting stadium. We host the F1 GP, the Australian Open, the one horse race in our country "that stops the nation" (the Melbourne Cup), the one footy grand final that fills a 100k stadium, we are Australia's sporting capital.

HOWEVER, we don't have the Bridge, and we don't have the Opera House. Sydney is a gorgeous post card city, and thats the image the FFA will want to finish on. As Aviator said too, the FFA is incredibly sydney-centric
What if all of darwin showed up for the game xD
__________________

"Scientists discover the Unknown, Architects design the Unique, Engineers create the previously Impossible"

jacoboy7 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #407
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
Can you provide some evidence please ?



Just like Brazil helped South Africa with 2010...
1. Where do you think Khalifa Stadium came from? The centre piece of Qatar's Olympic bid for 2016/2020/2024
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #408
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

I actually think that in a country like Australia where people show up and attend all sports events, even mens softball, that the 50% temporary stadia for some smaller towns or venues would actually very interesting in terms of the future of modular design.

I mean carrying on from London, the first stadium to have such a huge temporary component, it would be great if Australia's temporary structure are designed to be used elsewhere e.g. community venues, seating for an aquatic centre etc. etc
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #409
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

For the Aussie Rules/Cricket stadiums, do they have stands that can adjust and make it rectangular or will they stay the same? Either way, it's better than a track stadium.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #410
Solopop
Solopop
 
Solopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 99

^

they'll bring it in abit but they'll stay maninly oval shaped.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #411
Archbishop
Registered User
 
Archbishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 145

How is the view from the seats for soccer/rugby games in oval stadiums? I'm sure it's acceptable but at a stadium such as the Melbourne Cricket Grounds wouldn't the cheap seats have really bad views?
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #412
T74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 622
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
How is the view from the seats for soccer/rugby games in oval stadiums? I'm sure it's acceptable but at a stadium such as the Melbourne Cricket Grounds wouldn't the cheap seats have really bad views?
I've seen football at the MCG twice (Australia vs Italy opener for 2000 Olympics and Australia vs Japan more recently)

The view from the 2nd tier and lower top tier is good, the top of the top tier less so, but still fine

that being said, I'm there every second week, so I'm used to it. not sure how it would be for a newbie

On your other question, it looks like the MCG will be the only oval stadium that will not receive some type of temporary modification to make it more rectangular for the event
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #413
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 370
Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
On your other question, it looks like the MCG will be the only oval stadium that will not receive some type of temporary modification to make it more rectangular for the event
The FFA wanted to modify the MCG but was knocked back by the AFL and the Victorian Government.A modification to the MCG may have guarranteed them the Final,but it wont happen,and the final will go to Sydney(Which is home to the FFA,home to most of the Socceroos and home to the vast majority of registered Soccer players in this country.)
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #414
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,208
Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
The FFA wanted to modify the MCG but was knocked back by the AFL and the Victorian Government.A modification to the MCG may have guarranteed them the Final,but it wont happen,and the final will go to Sydney(Which is home to the FFA,home to most of the Socceroos and home to the vast majority of registered Soccer players in this country.)
I doubt there was any garrantee on the table. That is why I suspect there was an unwillingness to go along with the plan. It would have required large remodifications and temporary seating, keeping the MCG unusuable by other sports for a very large amount of time. As the final venue is chosen by FIFA not the local bid team, it would be their choice where it was played.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #415
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Sorry to raise this but Australia has a rich human history dating back 60 000 years. The modern "Political State" of Australia was founded in 1901 so yes Lords was inaugurated before the "Commonwealth of Australia" had come into existance.
Guess what, the "Republic of India", India's current political platform is 49 years younger than Australia's so Lords precedes the "State" of India as well.

The following Sovereign States are older than the establishment of Lords:
Argentina
Columbia
Paraguay
Haiti
USA
Venezuela
Oman
Thailand
Andorra
Denmark
Netherlands
Norway
San Marino
Spain
Sweden
UK
Vatican City

Not that many mate.
Trying to reason with him/her is equivalent to banging your head against a wall. Painful and pointless.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #416
Axelferis
Registered User
 
Axelferis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: A space between two worlds
Posts: 11,151
Likes (Received): 2210

i'm 100% against this organization because it will not be possible to see the match here at the "good hour"
i remember Australia rugby world cup was too early here from an european view.
__________________
W.A.O blog
Axelferis no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #417
Melb_aviator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,208
Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
i'm 100% against this organization because it will not be possible to see the match here at the "good hour"
i remember Australia rugby world cup was too early here from an european view.
I am sorry but not everything can be suited to Europe, nor should bit be. Asia is the new major growth region of Football, and that is what this is suited to. Have you ever considered that other WC's away from Asia seen Asian countries having the games at stupid times, but we get used to it.

To use time of games as an excuse why someone can not host is bordering on insane, particularly when the reality is that the importance of its main growth area would be overlooked.

It might be time to get up early and watch the games, which will be in your summer
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #418
invincible
Lurker
 
invincible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,804
Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
i'm 100% against this organization because it will not be possible to see the match here at the "good hour"
i remember Australia rugby world cup was too early here from an european view.
Pfft. We can get 40,000 people to head to the big screens in the city to watch the game at 4am, and so can you guys :P

I have friends who are basically planning to wake up at 3am, get to the game at 4:30am and then head to the office to start the day at work after that.
invincible no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #419
swifty78
Registered User
 
swifty78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,465
Likes (Received): 549

If Australia hosts , because we are 8-10 hours ahead of Europe a game starting at 8pm our time would be round 10am to 12pm Euro time so its still not too bad, its only North and South America that has to wake or stay up.
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #420
magic_johnson
Registered User
 
magic_johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 191
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Although, by 2022 Melbourne may be Australia's largest city and could have the biggest fan base for the game. If it was 2010 Sydney would get it, but in 2022 it may not be so simple.
If you go by socceroos crowds, i think Melbourne might already have the biggest fan base...
magic_johnson no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu