daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #441
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
If that were true, Seoul 88 and Barcelona 92 should never have happened.
Moreover, those city - zens do not flaunt as much as OZ do.

And the world still regards Barcelona as the best example for legacy and heritage.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say SHUT THE **** UP! YOU ARE FULL OF ****!

Anyway, great effort by the Aussie's last night. Although the penalty was there Kewell probably shouldn't have been sent off 50/50 call. But the Ghanaian that got carded in the 40th minutes definatly should have been. Fifa said that any challenge from behind that does not take the ball is a Red card. That ref was shocking. Hopefully FIFA saw the game does actually mean something to us. Doubt it though.
Will737 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #442
RobH

Likes (Received): 10340

Christ all mighty, are we really seeing an Indian criticising Sydney 2000? A citizen of a country whose CWGs preparations are facing a race against time criticising what I consider to be the best Olympics of my lifetime because of the way they won the vote. Really?

So what if Manchester's votes went to Sydney? That's the way these things work. Why would it be any more correct for them to have gone to Beijing? And why, pray tell, does it matter to this thread?

FIFA will take 1000x more notice of the fantastically succcessful, passionate, friendly, beautiful Olympic Games that Sydney held in 2000 when they make their decision than the politics behind how the Games were won. Sydney 2000 is by far and away Australia 2022's biggest trump card - who in FIFA wouldn't want what Australia gave to the Olympics to be given to them?

Any mud you throw against Sydney 2000 to try to smear Australia 2022 simply ain't gonna stick. The Games were too good for your irrelevent points over 1993 sporting politics to make any difference.

Quote:
Anyway, great effort by the Aussie's last night. Although the penalty was there Kewell probably shouldn't have been sent off 50/50 call.
Sorry to tell you mate, but you're wrong. If a penalty is given in that situation (which it had to be) a red card must follow. The referee has no discretion in that situation as the laws couldn't be clearer.

His arm was miles away from his body in an unnatural position, he was on the line, and the laws say a penalty is given in that instance and the player who handballs it must receive a red card. The ref had no choice; he was denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Anyway, wrong thread. Only our Indian 'friend' thinks it has any relevent to Australia's world cup hosting ambitions it seems.

Last edited by RobH; June 20th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #443
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Antriksh Sfo, seriously man. You really need to get that sand out of your ******. Maybe even move on and forgive who ever Australian hurt your feelings or broke your heart.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #444
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Antriksh Sfo, seriously man. You really need to get that sand out of your ******. Maybe even move on and forgive who ever Australian hurt your feelings or broke your heart.
or cut his lunch
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #445
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
or cut his lunch
Or drive him to the airport. Or offer him a new phone deal.
Just a question, would our bid stand an even better chance if it was a joint bid with New Zealand? Even if they only held a couple of group stage matches and maybe a quarter final.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #446
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

I'm not sure if FIFA would allow an interconfederation World Cup
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #447
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I can't believe there is even a Sydney 2000 debate.

The benefits of these Games extend well beyond Australia.

As I've said before, the knowledge, expertise , "know-how" is used extensively across the world from stadium design to operations to logistics to test events.

Sydney helped to literally setup the blueprint for venues in future Olympic Games, and subsequently other multi-sport games.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM   #448
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I'm not sure if FIFA would allow an interconfederation World Cup
we needed to get special approval just for NZ to have a team in the A-League (initially FIFA were dead against it)

I would highly doubt they would allow an interconfederation bid
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:47 AM   #449
T74

Quote:
Dont you worry
U will surely undergo this Decmeber.
Not too far but will be lasting long.
again you are showing your lack of understanding

most people in Australia are well aware our bid is the underdog for 2022

our heart may be hoping for Australia for 2022, but if you asked us to place a bet, the USA would be the favourite right now

as such, there is no expectation or belief that we have this in the bag, and come december we know the likely outcome will be disappointment. this being said, we do believe our bid is a good one, and hope the ex-co members see likewise
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM   #450
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

How can this idiot (antriksh) be allowed to continually post? We may criticize Qatar's bid and hosting capabilities, but that's the thing - it's relevant. Bringing up Sydney 2000, some crap in 1993, and the results of the 2010 World Cup thus far bear no relevance to our bid and trust me, it's going to take more than that to drag us down.

If you had to be successful to host a WC, CWG, or Olympic Games .... India would never host.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:40 AM   #451
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
again you are showing your lack of understanding

most people in Australia are well aware our bid is the underdog for 2022

our heart may be hoping for Australia for 2022, but if you asked us to place a bet, the USA would be the favourite right now

as such, there is no expectation or belief that we have this in the bag, and come december we know the likely outcome will be disappointment. this being said, we do believe our bid is a good one, and hope the ex-co members see likewise
Thats the thing.If the USA won the 2022 bid,I would not be surprised.They will be a great host,with great stadiums,great cities and overall,perfect infrastructure to be a great host.If Qatar win...Ill be in shock..Ill be dissapointed..not for the fact that Australia loses,but more the fact that FIFA will once again completley go against their own guidelines and forever keep changing the goalposts while the match is being played..Qatar ..lets face it...is not suitable for a WC...There are far suitable Arab/Islamic nations that can host a far more successful WC...I hope FIFA waits until then.

As for Australia..We do have a great bid..The only continent (except Antartica!) where the WC has not been,great Modern cities,modern stadiums,great weather(even if its winter) and a great reputation in putting on a show for the world to enjoy..For the USA,we are hoping 1994 goes against them.It wasnt all that long ago...we will have to see.

Really,in all truth,this surely must be a race between the USA and Australia
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:57 AM   #452
T74

Quote:
Here it is about the Sydney bid.
Just in a nutshell:
1. Gifts Budget for the bid increased from AD 6Million to AD 28 Million over 6 months?????
2. African Dlegates who were banned from IOC after the revelation of gift acceptance from Sydney Bid team?????
3. One African delgate's daughter was given schloarlship at an Australian University as a gift

Can list few more but I have a life outside SSC and cannot post 20,000 posts unlike others for the heck of it
IOC gift demands were rife up until the Salt Lake City fiasco, when they finally realized it had to be cleaned up

most bids were involved in it up until then, even your beloved Barcelona
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM   #453
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Here it is about the Sydney bid.
Just in a nutshell:
1. Gifts Budget for the bid increased from AD 6Million to AD 28 Million over 6 months?????
2. African Dlegates who were banned from IOC after the revelation of gift acceptance from Sydney Bid team?????
3. One African delgate's daughter was given schloarlship at an Australian University as a gift

Can list few more but I have a life outside SSC and cannot post 20,000 posts unlike others for the heck of it
Get over it....FFS!

Vote buying and Olympic committee "donations" were plain part and parcel of Olympic bidding way before 1993 bid.The Salt Lake Scandal of 1999 exposed the rorts and corruption within the IOC and brought about massive restructuring within the IOC to what is pretty much the bidding process we see today.
African Olympic committee "donations" was standard practice.China "donated" funding for stadiums in all parts of Africa in their lead up to the 1993.The German Olympic Committee were caught redhanded with an IOC dossier on every member of the IOC into their own private lives and personal preferences and tastes...The issue of corruption within the IOC back then was and is now common knowledge.

Get over the fact that Sydney 2000 was an unbelievable Olympic Games, which the IOC was not only reeling from the scandal of 1999,but was recovering to what was perceived as a poor Olympics in Atlanta 1996.The IOC needed a games like Sydney to get itself back on track and Sydney delivered.....Simple as that and any denial of that ,is proof of what a complete fool you are.
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:53 AM   #454
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Get over it....FFS!

Vote buying and Olympic committee "donations" were plain part and parcel of Olympic bidding way before 1993 bid.The Salt Lake Scandal of 1999 exposed the rorts and corruption within the IOC and brought about massive restructuring within the IOC to what is pretty much the bidding process we see today.
African Olympic committee "donations" was standard practice.China "donated" funding for stadiums in all parts of Africa in their lead up to the 1993.The German Olympic Committee were caught redhanded with an IOC dossier on every member of the IOC into their own private lives and personal preferences and tastes...The issue of corruption within the IOC back then was and is now common knowledge.

Get over the fact that Sydney 2000 was an unbelievable Olympic Games, which the IOC was not only reeling from the scandal of 1999,but was recovering to what was perceived as a poor Olympics in Atlanta 1996.The IOC needed a games like Sydney to get itself back on track and Sydney delivered.....Simple as that and any denial of that ,is proof of what a complete fool you are.
Totally hit the mark there.

It is amazing how people feel the need to throw stones on totally unrelated issues, including what happened in 1993 Olympic Bidding. No one cares.

The reality is that we should be discussing this bid and the fundamentals of it. The competitors and the bid components are part of it, but only if they are relevant.

There are some threads on this site that people get extremely defensive if parts of their bids are talked about, and not one member on this thread is not willing to discuss the facts in an adult manner . Irrelevant bickering from those who have no idea what is going on really shouldn't bother being on here though, as they add nothing to the discussion and in all reality walk away looking like fools.

Back to the discussion, do we all really consider that $2.8 billion dollars on stadium expenditure will be recouped and that all stadiums will not be white elephants afterwards? Canberra (new), Newcastle (upgraded), Townsville (upgraded) and Blacktown (new) would appear to be the biggest risks of wasted investment in the longer term, but overall, if managed correctly, all could very much be a success in legacy form.

The total outlay is a lot of cash on just stadiums and a lot more will be required on the running of the event and logistical considerations required. Training facilities, stimulating hotel and tourist services development and all other elements will not be cheap.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM   #455
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Back to the discussion, do we all really consider that $2.8 billion dollars on stadium expenditure will be recouped and that all stadiums will not be white elephants afterwards? Canberra (new), Newcastle (upgraded), Townsville (upgraded) and Blacktown (new) would appear to be the biggest risks of wasted investment in the longer term, but overall, if managed correctly, all could very much be a success in legacy form.

The total outlay is a lot of cash of just stadiums and a lot more will be required on the running of the event and logistical considerations required. Training facilities, stimulating hotel and tourist services development and all other elements will not be cheap.
I actually reckon this argument isn't as bad as it appears at first glance. When you examine the stadium one by one, most do have a demand requirement:

money spent on Kardina Park, Adelaide Oval, Subiaco, and Cararra would be happening anyway, as all need upgrades to cope with the current demand they have for AFL.

Blacktown has the sniff of a white elephant, but I think it will do well. Gives the Rovers a home, and I wouldn't be surprised if an NRL team relocates there too.

Canberra is in desperate need of new facilities (have mates in Canberra, they hate the current joint)

Newcastle I reckon will be fine once the downgrade occurs post WC. Without it you wouldn't do it tomorrow, but with the pop growth in that part of NSW, and hopefully corresponding growth of the NRL and A-League crowds in that town, an upgrade would be inevitable at some stage in the medium term.

Townsville I am more disconnected from, but from read on crowds is they are fairly soft (but consistent). Even with the downgrade, I have concerns over this ones size, and its probably the one stadium upgrade I fear will be a waste of dough. That being said, the area is growing, and it may make long term sense.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:22 AM   #456
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

If we look at legacy capacities for after WC use

Blacktown Stadium-26,000
Newcastle Stadium-34,000
Canberra Stadium-27,000
Townsville Stadium-30,000

Personally,i think they are all quite manageable and in most cases,in growing regions that require a boost in infrastructure.
Also these a superb,new,modern "rectangle" venues.FIFA will look at these positively and I cant see these being cut off.

FIFA will look down surely on Geelong,Gold Coast and Adelaide.ALF venues with no football legacy.These are the ones in trouble of getting cut.
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:44 AM   #457
T74

Quote:

Blacktown Stadium-26,000
Newcastle Stadium-34,000
Canberra Stadium-27,000

Personally,i think they are all quite manageable and in most cases,in growing regions that require a boost in infrastructure.
Also these a superb,new,modern "rectangle" venues.FIFA will look at these positively and I cant see these being cut off.

FIFA will look down surely on Geelong,Gold Coast and Adelaide.ALF venues with no football legacy.These are the ones in trouble of getting cut.
Geelong maybe not long term. If/when Victoria gets a third HAL team, many here suspect Geelong will be looked at as the option (esp with the stadium talk and the strong football support in Geelong)

Adelaide is a no other option situation unfortunately. Its economic suicide to upgrade Hindmarsh, and the town has no real rugby demand, so a large rectangular is not economically viable. Even for AFL/cricket, they are rationalizing to one ground.

Gold Coast is the one I really scratch my head about. Still don't get why they didn't look at a temporary upgrade of the rectangular stadium in the GC. I know Cararra has to be redeveloped anyway, and Gold Coast HAL and NRL crowds are pretty average, but surely a temporary expansion would have been viable.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #458
Melb_aviator

Quote:
Geelong maybe not long term. If/when Victoria gets a third HAL team, many here suspect Geelong will be looked at as the option (esp with the stadium talk and the strong football support in Geelong)

Adelaide is a no other option situation unfortunately. Its economic suicide to upgrade Hindmarsh, and the town has no real rugby demand, so a large rectangular is not economically viable. Even for AFL/cricket, they are rationalizing to one ground.

Gold Coast is the one I really scratch my head about. Still don't get why they didn't look at a temporary upgrade of the rectangular stadium in the GC. I know Cararra has to be redeveloped anyway, and Gold Coast HAL and NRL crowds are pretty average, but surely a temporary expansion would have been viable.
Totally agree about Geelong, as it has potential in the future.

Adelaide, Hindmarsh is ok for now but future options will be required.

GC has no other option, as Skilled Park can not be expanded. It was not designed with that in mind apparently. In many ways it mirrors the issues of AAMI Park in Melb, probably can be but requires just about a complete rebuild. The new upgrades to the AFL stadium really is the smartest use of cash on that one.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM   #459
Melb_aviator

Quote:

Blacktown Stadium-26,000
Newcastle Stadium-34,000
Canberra Stadium-27,000

We could always look at giving away the remains of the downgraded stadiums to African and Asian countries I wonder where I heard that one before lol
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM   #460
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Soccer legacy on the Gold Coast will live on, but I believe it will do so through Skilled Stadium. While Skilled may not have the 45k expanded capacity option for the World Cup, Gold Coast Stadium will eventually be reduced to a similar capacity as Skilled - and Skilled is a proper rectangle. I don't see it being that bigger problem.

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; June 21st, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  

Closed Thread