daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM   #461
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Seriously...What use is 30,000 plastic seats and 300 tonnes of modular terracing turning up in 100 shipping containers off the coast of Liberia?

Even when they put it all together...What about the rest of stadium,construction costs,amenities,etc etc etc etc...
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM   #462
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
We could always look at giving away the remains of the downgraded stadiums to African and Asian countries I wonder where I heard that one before lol
we are - we are building one in Geelong
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM   #463
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Seriously...What use is 30,000 plastic seats and 300 tonnes of modular terracing turning up in 100 shipping containers off the coast of Liberia?

Even when they put it all together...What about the rest of stadium,construction costs,amenities,etc etc etc etc...
I dont understand either but theres a rival bid for 2022 that has that in their plans. Seems like the legacy element that its aimed at but I find it very ill concieved of an idea.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM   #464
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
How can this idiot (antriksh) be allowed to continually post? We may criticize Qatar's bid and hosting capabilities, but that's the thing - it's relevant. Bringing up Sydney 2000, some crap in 1993, and the results of the 2010 World Cup thus far bear no relevance to our bid and trust me, it's going to take more than that to drag us down.

If you had to be successful to host a WC, CWG, or Olympic Games .... India would never host.
I repeat again, So would have Seoul 88 and Barcelona 92 never happened.
The same goes when Rugby WC has been awarded to Japan/Asia for 2015.
Anyway, it is an attmept to bring the truth behind the so claimed "Best Games ever", though cannot deny they were held well.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM   #465
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Good, you've done that now and nobody thinks it's relevent. What else ya got?
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #466
antriksh_sfo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

That is indeed questionable.
What happened to the Sydney 2000 Grand stands?
Where did they land and wherever they are, ar ethey being utilised?

It should be convinced to FIFA that a permanent structure for 30K be permissible with the rest of 10 or 15K being temporary as used in most US Stadia or as used at few venues in Euro 04 at Portugal.
These temporary stands need not be concrete (which does not qualify them to be temporary in all practicalities) and can be put up same way behind the goal post as was done with Stadium Australia, Sydney.
antriksh_sfo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM   #467
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
That is indeed questionable.
What happened to the Sydney 2000 Grand stands?
Where did they land and wherever they are, ar ethey being utilised?

It should be convinced to FIFA that a permanent structure for 30K be permissible with the rest of 10 or 15K being temporary as used in most US Stadia or as used at few venues in Euro 04 at Portugal.
These temporary stands need not be concrete (which does not qualify them to be temporary in all practicalities) and can be put up same way behind the goal post as was done with Stadium Australia, Sydney.
Wow, a relevent post from Antiriksh sfo, there is hope for us all.

As far as Stadium Australia's end grandstands all I can find out is that they were demolished. Their design was of a of a very specific nature so they weren't made to be dismantled and rebuild anywhere else in the same form, a form which suited no ground in Australia. One can easily imagine the steel would have been recycled.

As for the 30 000 seats I do specifically remember reading that they would find there way into community facilities of many purposes across the country but I haven't been able to find current confirmation on that. Either way they would have been reused and / or sold on. Their were far more temporary seats at the Sydney Games than the 30 000 at Stadium Australia. Like at other Olympics 1000's of temporary seats and bleaches were used in the Sydney Showgorund exhibition halls for Basketball, martial arts and handball. Temp seating at the Aquatic Centre and Hockey arenas, a hole temporary stadium at Bondi Beach for Beach Vollyball and more at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre. I assume the others where on a hire basis, still in cyculation either in Australia or internationally.

As for 25 / 35 000 seat perminent rectanglular stadiums with 10 / 15 000 temp seats. Thats sounds very sensible and it being planned for Canberra, Townsville, Geelong, Blacktown and Newcastle in Australia's bid. This has also been done in past World Cups such as 2002 with Jeju Stadium in Seogwipo, South Korea and the Kobe Wing Stadium in Kobe, Japan.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:10 AM   #468
T74

There are actually companies that specialize in temporary seating. Did some quick googling and found the one who (amongst many other projects) did the velodrome extension and the beach volleyball for Sydney 2000.

Reckon much of the infrastructure would be designed for dismantling and re-assembly to keep costs down (and looking at their website they have done everything from WC events to world expos).

On Stadium Australia, I tried looking for something specific without luck. It appears the stadium was built with a strong focus on life cycle management and waste minimization, so I'd imagine something was in place to minimize level of destruction post games. Sorry I couldn't find more.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:36 AM   #469
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Durban and Cape Town have 12,000-13,000 temporary seats on scaffolding. Whats the issue?

Sydney's Aquatic Centre temporary expansion was re-used at a community venue.

The rest of the setup is leased. You pay for installation, leasing, and dismantling the temporary seats.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:38 AM   #470
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
There are actually companies that specialize in temporary seating. Did some quick googling and found the one who (amongst many other projects) did the velodrome extension and the beach volleyball for Sydney 2000.

Reckon much of the infrastructure would be designed for dismantling and re-assembly to keep costs down (and looking at their website they have done everything from WC events to world expos).

On Stadium Australia, I tried looking for something specific without luck. It appears the stadium was built with a strong focus on life cycle management and waste minimization, so I'd imagine something was in place to minimize level of destruction post games. Sorry I couldn't find more.
Nussli.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #471
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Durban and Cape Town have 12,000-13,000 temporary seats on scaffolding. Whats the issue?

Sydney's Aquatic Centre temporary expansion was re-used at a community venue.
You are 100% correct.
The Aquatic Centre's roof and seating were taken down to Wollongong's WIN Stadium for construction of a new grandstand.
http://www.leightoncontractors.com.a...in-stadium.pdf
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #472
Mo Rush

Quote:
You are 100% correct.
The Aquatic Centre's roof and seating were taken down to Wollongong's WIN Stadium for construction of a new grandstand.
http://www.leightoncontractors.com.a...in-stadium.pdf
Yes, I'm correct 98% of the time. just kidding.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM   #473
Walbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
God. This is the sort of thing that makes certain people hate America(ns). Stupid laws and phobia's. But the good part of that story is that it shows who is standing up to the law and shows the world that very few (if any) Americans are like that. It shouldn't damage their bid but if they keep the law it could cause a few problems if they do get it.
Don't shoot your mouth off too much. So pollies in Arizona have jumped on the back of people's anxiety about people smuggling and related violent crime. Though at face value I don't agree with the stop and search proposals, is it all that different from the people smuggling / boat people issues of Australia and other western countries?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM   #474
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Hopefully we won't include Phoenix in our bid.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:51 PM   #475
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Old news..The Australian Newspaper is adding nothing to what has been previously reported by the US Media over a month ago

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azet...world-cup.html

Qatar Son 333,Antriksh...Get over it...Your comments/articles have nothing to do with Australia 2022..Post something relevant next time..
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #476
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

blah. forget it. I'm not going to get banned because of some wanker.

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; June 24th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #477
T74

Can we get the thread back to talking about the AU bid and not this rubbish?

Also I had no issue with your article Q. It could be argued it is more relevant to the USA bid thread, but the article is an Aussie one so it is relevant

Feeling here is pretty bummed out right now. yeah, we beat Serbia, but that bloody 0-4 loss to Germany bit us on the bum and knocked us out. No one will lose sleep with Pim moving on, his first game tactics were appaulling. It was against what we had been training with for the last year plus, and goes against how Aussies tend to approach their sport. No firm word on likely replacement coach will be, but rumours it will be the guy who had Camaroon this campaign (FFA only saying the coach is at this years WC).

Funny thing is even with a leadership challenge to our PM this morning, the WC "loss" is still getting good coverage - long way from the days where we only cared about Aussie Rules and League here.

Well now its back to the bid, and watching the WC from the sidelines
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #478
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Can we get the thread back to talking about the AU bid and not this rubbish?

Also I had no issue with your article Q. It could be argued it is more relevant to the USA bid thread, but the article is an Aussie one so it is relevant

Feeling here is pretty bummed out right now. yeah, we beat Serbia, but that bloody 0-4 loss to Germany bit us on the bum and knocked us out. No one will lose sleep with Pim moving on, his first game tactics were appaulling. It was against what we had been training with for the last year plus, and goes against how Aussies tend to approach their sport. No firm word on likely replacement coach will be, but rumours it will be the guy who had Camaroon this campaign (FFA only saying the coach is at this years WC).

Funny thing is even with a leadership challenge to our PM this morning, the WC "loss" is still getting good coverage - long way from the days where we only cared about Aussie Rules and League here.

Well now its back to the bid, and watching the WC from the sidelines
Totally agree about Australian Football getting good coverage this morning on a historic day in this country's political story. It is great to see.

I think that the result showed just how good we can be at the game as nearly all the pundits I saw from overseas were predicting an easy Serbian victory.

In regards to the bid, I think there will be a none to at most a limited correlation between how well the US does in this WC and their chances in winning the bid. In fact, them doing very well might actually be a good thing for us. We are a developing market that is still making its way up the football ladder, whereas the US had its chance in 94 and has improved since, with 2 times out of the last 4 WCs the team making the last 16 or greater. It could be seen as a chance to develop our team in similar ways, to take football in this country to the next level.

The bids will centre more on legacy and just how the countries play the politics of FIFA. The fact that the US is still in the running for 2018 really will put european votes offside, so it could be a good thing for us too.

There are so many things at play here.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #479
Walbanger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Don't really see this derailing the US bid. The Aussie media love pulling a long bow. One US State's internal politics really has next to nothing to do with the WC, especially when the US could host numerous World Cups and never include Arizona.

It will be hard fight but Australia could very well have the bid that FIFA is looking for regardless of the USA's internal issues. In other words I have faith that Australia can win on its own merits rather than the US losing it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Troll, what has this to do with Oz 2022?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antriksh_sfo View Post
Same as the above has to do with the US bid.
? I though I was just answering Qatar Son 333. Anyway, I don't believe that Qatar Son was in anyway trying to troll, he just doesn't fully understand our attitude to our media, plus it's a hard stretch to connect the Arizona issue with the US or Australian bid's chances.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #480
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
In regards to the bid, I think there will be a none to at most a limited correlation between how well the US does in this WC and their chances in winning the bid. In fact, them doing very well might actually be a good thing for us. We are a developing market that is still making its way up the football ladder, whereas the US had its chance in 94 and has improved since, with 2 times out of the last 4 WCs the team making the last 16 or greater. It could be seen as a chance to develop our team in similar ways, to take football in this country to the next level.
I disagree with this. FIFA's not looking to help a certain country's team. They are trying to tap into a new market or expand. That's why Australia has such a great chance (that and very nice stadiums and country). It's not so the Socceroos get better. It's so more people are interested in soccer in Australia and help its growth. That's why the USA got it in 1994 and that's why I have a feeling Australia gets 2022.
Archbishop no está en línea  

Closed Thread