daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #481
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Back on topic please.

Any references to race, culture, ethnicity, or other potentially sensitive topics, whether intended or unintended will receive infractions.

antriksh_sfo, you are metres from being banned.

Thanks all.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #482
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Ok, sorry guys
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #483
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
I disagree with this. FIFA's not looking to help a certain country's team. They are trying to tap into a new market or expand. That's why Australia has such a great chance (that and very nice stadiums and country). It's not so the Socceroos get better. It's so more people are interested in soccer in Australia and help its growth. That's why the USA got it in 1994 and that's why I have a feeling Australia gets 2022.
That was my point in my post. Sorry If I did not make it clearer though, it did sound abit less than clear.

It is more than performances at this WC was the main element of my post.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #484
Mo Rush

I'm not convinced FIFA see Australia as a "new market".

Its not exactly "Africa" or "Asia" or "China" or "India".

If FIFA go to Australia it will be because its reliable, has major event experience, its a "safe option", unlikely to give many headaches.

Timezone will be the issue.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #485
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

There's also the passion for sports thing too.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #486
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
How? We are in a similar timezone to Asia which has far more people than Europe and is (apparantly) rapidly gaining more viewers than Europe. It would be an issue for the viewers in the more 'spiritual' home(s) of football.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #487
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Corruption allegations and looks like the government was mislead on costs

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33490
JYDA no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #488
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Gotta love the report for a few things though:

1) the Aussie journo shocked FIFA want gifts (I thought everyone knew these guys are worse than even the IOC)

2) the Aussie journo shocked at the size of the consultancy fee (and that actually is his biggest gripe)

3) some of the Aussie media convinced this may be FIFA's Salt Lake City

The last one cracks me up. FIFA have had books written on their blatant dodginess, yet they all still have their positions and jets and so on.

None of this is great, and the bid will get a tune up, but nothing serious IMO will come from this. Bid is coming to an end, and we are weeks away from a Federal election. Poli's in election mode love good news sports stories, if anything I'd be expecting more smiley photos in front of stadium plans.
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #489
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Do we think that Sydney would have won the Olympics in 2000 playing the moral high ground and not playing the IOC status quo at the time? Absolutely not.

You need to play the game that others are playing to get anywhere. Other bids are likely paying a lot more on their bids and consulting teams, so why is it bad that we pay people too. If we win the bid, what is $11 million for what would be a huge event, went for us? Peanuts.

Likely it is self interest groups at it again, namely competing sports and other community groups that want their own priorities to be delivered.The best way to do this is to publically discredit a bid that will likely take the focus away from them.

What is on the surface is not always what is the reality.

Last edited by Melb_aviator; June 30th, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #490
Mo Rush

Its all part of the process of bidding.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 03:00 AM   #491
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Yes but Australia needed all the firepower it could muster to shoot down the US bid, and this can't be helping the situation.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM   #492
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Yes but Australia needed all the firepower it could muster to shoot down the US bid, and this can't be helping the situation.
I'm actually not too worried about it. The same happened with the UK bid and the Burberry bags. FIFA pretend to care for 5 minutes, the media get distracted by something else, and FIFA go back to business as normal.

This is a pain, but I think stuff like this makes our bid better. With the press reviewing and demanding more from the bid, hopefully it puts the FFA under pressure to lift the bar when competing with USA and Qatar. If it was all just media cheerleading, people tend to get complacent and then you are in trouble.
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM   #493
aaronaugi1

Likes (Received): 0

Even if the bid fails, $42m is a small price to pay for the exposure it will have given the sport in Australia come December.

This really throws weight behind the saying any publicity is good publicity.
aaronaugi1 no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM   #494
Richo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I'm not convinced FIFA see Australia as a "new market".

Its not exactly "Africa" or "Asia" or "China" or "India".

If FIFA go to Australia it will be because its reliable, has major event experience, its a "safe option", unlikely to give many headaches.

This is all true, but like the fact that the international tennis organizations like having the aus open as the only Aus/Pacific tournament, FIFA may like having an Asian (in time and geography) world cup.

This is especially true since China didn't bid, and Japan and Korea just hosted it recently (and I doubt they Korea or Japan can host it by themselves). The world cup doesn't need to be in China for a world cup to appeal to a Chinese audience, especially with better viewing times (for those who think Asia doesn't matter, consider this: Japan and Korea have about a quarter of the population of Europe, and there are other markets). S America and Europe are covered, and Asia is a bigger potential market than N America. Australia may not get the world cup but in terms of growing the game, an Asian world cup make sense. China, India and Australia seem obvious choices.
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM   #495
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo83 View Post
This is all true, but like the fact that the international tennis organizations like having the aus open as the only Aus/Pacific tournament, FIFA may like having an Asian (in time and geography) world cup.
Good point

Quote:
and I doubt they Korea or Japan can host it by themselves
How could you doubt their ability to host by themselves?
Their both stable nations, known tourist destinations, especially Japan. Have solid middle tier national teams and leagues similar to Australia but have weight in the numbers of urban areas. 50 million in South Korea and 130 million in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
I'm actually not too worried about it. The same happened with the UK bid and the Burberry bags. FIFA pretend to care for 5 minutes, the media get distracted by something else, and FIFA go back to business as normal.

This is a pain, but I think stuff like this makes our bid better. With the press reviewing and demanding more from the bid, hopefully it puts the FFA under pressure to lift the bar when competing with USA and Qatar. If it was all just media cheerleading, people tend to get complacent and then you are in trouble.
Agree 100%.

Last edited by Walbanger; July 1st, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM   #496
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
This is especially true since China didn't bid, and Japan and Korea just hosted it recently (and I doubt they Korea or Japan can host it by themselves). The world cup doesn't need to be in China for a world cup to appeal to a Chinese audience, especially with better viewing times
Japan and Korea both had 10 stadiums each for the 2002 World Cup, so they wouldn't need that much to meet the minimum amount of stadiums.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM   #497
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
If you think it'll work, go for it Aussies. You guys can be the bad boys. USA will quietly sit back and let the chips fall.

Last edited by slipperydog; July 1st, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM   #498
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
If you think it'll work, go for it Aussies. You guys can be the bad boys. USA will quietly sit back and let the chips fall.
hey, I'm from Melbourne....we still have bad memories losing to the Coca-Cola Atlanta Olympics of '96

the gloves are off!!

seriously though, on the Japan issue have they resolved the issue of their lead stadium? last I heard was that their rebuild was dependent upon them winning the 2016 Olympics, and after that loss they were looking at some band-aid option. haven't heard anything since though
T74 no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM   #499
Richo83

Two reasons why I don't think Japan or Korea can host it themselves:

Main reason:

1. They've hosted it lately. Too soon.

Secondary reason:

2. It's the notion of spreading the sport, by only placing it in one country, the exposure is decreased (and the notion of how long it takes each nation gets it, it's why the ICC forces Australia to share the world cup with the kiwis), and if they're going to give it to one Asian nation, it would make more sense to give it to Australia.

I don't doubt that Korea or Japan have the infrastructure to host the world cup. Only 16 to 20 years after the last? I doubt it. I think if Japan shared with say China to give it something to build on and help develop the game in China it could be a selling point. But going to Japan would be less sensible than going to the USA (which I think would be a poor idea as well.)

Could be wrong though. Ultimately, Australia's selling point is that it's one of the two Asian tournaments which means alot since Asia is a growing sporting market. That Australia hasn't hosted the world cup, yet Korea and Japan have, and it's a new market (what I meant by that Japan and Korea "can't" (read shouldn't)).
Richo83 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #500
T74

Following link confirms the Govt has reviewed the FFA books, and confirmed that they are okay by it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1225888352064

The FIFA investigation is still ongoing, but this gets rid of the most serious allegation in the reports, that being that the FFA had two sets of books and mislead the govt to the tune of millions.

Good news too is the FFA are not letting this issue rest. Aussie media have a habit of running with stories early, and when the facts don't back it up pretending their version is still true (having this today with them accusing one AFL player of OD'ing on drugs when the tests came back clean). FFA are suing the newspaper that reported they corruptly deceived the govt

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1225888616151
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread