daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM   #621
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

I don't see why everyone thinks it (the final) should go to Sydney. Wasn't Melbourne the sports capital of the world? If they can make the MCG rectangular (I've seen a render) then shouldn't it host the final? Or are they gonna increase Stadium Australia's capacity back to what it was for the Olympics? I think the largest stadium should get it and ig.the 'G' is pretty damn big.
Will737 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM   #622
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Firstly, London is the sporting capital of the world As for the MCG, I dont think there is any realistic chance of the MCG going rectangular. The AFL is the major tenant, and I cant see them allowing the MCG being out of action for a season or two for any proposed redevlopment of that scale. It would also be enourmously expensive, and wouldnt make too much of a positive change. The people sitting at the top of the third tier are still going to be a very long distance from the football pitch, no matter what the shape of the bottom tier is. The only benifit would be for the lower tier and to a lesser degree for the people watching at home as the ground would be more asthetic.
Personally I dont like the MCG as a football venue, but its been used for a so many big football matches, both WCQ and Olympics, that I dont think FIFA really has an issue with it.

Are there any plans for increasing capacity at the Sydney Olympic stadium? I would rather see it turned into a true rectangular pitch, or at least have movable tiers which can make a rectangular pitch. The capcity is big enough - its already one of the biggest stadiums in the world. Maybe a rectangular pitch would increase attendance for NRL games there. AFL and Cricket could focus on the SCG.

Sydney is Australias premier city. Im from Melbourne and dont have a problem with the final going there. If we had a stadium more suited to soccer then maybe there could be cause for argument, but we dont. Give Melb the openiong game and a semi and Id be happy. On the official bid website the MCG capacity is listed as 88,000, only 5,000 more than the Sydney Olympic stadium, so the argument that the MCG has a bigger capcity isn't really that strong.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM   #623
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post

Are there any plans for increasing capacity at the Sydney Olympic stadium? I would rather see it turned into a true rectangular pitch, or at least have movable tiers which can make a rectangular pitch. The capcity is big enough - its already one of the biggest stadiums in the world. Maybe a rectangular pitch would increase attendance for NRL games there. AFL and Cricket could focus on the SCG.
Yeah man. ANZ stadium will be boosted to 90 000 (still around 84000 for the WC cos of VIP's) and the ends will be rebuilt, employing the same teir technology planned for the Perth Stadium where the stand will swing on hinges rather than just move foward and back on straight rails. So in the end a perfect rectangle can be made and then returned to oval for the AFL and odd cricket match.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean. These are some pics of the Perth Stadium proposal with its hinged ground tier.

Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM   #624
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Melbourne is the VFL capital of the world...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM   #625
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Melbourne is the VFL capital of the universe...
fixed
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM   #626
_X_

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:12 AM   #627
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

^ Yeah, that's not going to work or happen.
Regardless of construction interference it would create intolerable C values in the tier's rake as to prove not worth it.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM   #628
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

The closest the MCG will do in terms of major upgrades for the WC would be the redevelopment of the Southern Stand (which is to be underway), with perhaps a new lower tier, making the oval smaller.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM   #629
T74

Likes (Received): 1

I hadn't heard about the swinging tiers for ANZ and Perth - thats great news

revising my list, that makes it:

1) MGC - Melbourne
2) ANZ Stadium - Sydney **
3) Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane (will get a upgrade if successful) *
4) Subiaco Stadium - Perth (redevelopment) **
5) Adelaide Oval - Adelaide (redevelopment)
6) Sydney Football Stadium - Sydney *
7) Energy Australia Stadium - Newcastle *
8) Dairy Farmers Stadium - Townsville - (upgrade) *
9) Canberra Stadium - Canberra - (new stadium) *
10) Carrara Stadium - Gold Coast - (upgrade for Comm Games 2018 bid)
11) Blacktown Stadium - Sydney - (new stadium) *
12) Kardinia Park - Geelong - (upgrade and temporary rectangular configuration seating) **

This in all gives us:
* 6 stadiums with rectangular configuration
** 3 stadium with a temporary rectangular configuration

a 9/3 ratio is much better now
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM   #630
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki04ss View Post
MCG isn't rectangular field. It is oval field. That isn't approved by FIFA.
It is approved by FIFA. It was the venue FIFA visited when it came to Melbourne.

Now whether it hosts the final or not is another story, but it is FIFA approved. Otherwise, you'd have Melbourne having to host it's international games and qualifiers over at Etihad Stadium, then transferring to AAMI Park.

The fact that the MCG already hosts regular FIFA matches already proves that it's FIFA approved. Being unideal in oval shape isn't an excuse, it can clearly still host matches and will.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM   #631
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Yeah man. ANZ stadium will be boosted to 90 000 (still around 84000 for the WC cos of VIP's) and the ends will be rebuilt, employing the same teir technology planned for the Perth Stadium where the stand will swing on hinges rather than just move foward and back on straight rails. So in the end a perfect rectangle can be made and then returned to oval for the AFL and odd cricket match.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean. These are some pics of the Perth Stadium proposal with its hinged ground tier.
Cheers dude. The hinge tiers look a lot better than those on rails, good to see.
woozoo no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM   #632
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I have asked this elsewhere but it seems impossible to get an answer.

Why is Sydney or Melbourne not hosting the entire WC on its own?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM   #633
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I have asked this elsewhere but it seems impossible to get an answer.

Why is Sydney or Melbourne not hosting the entire WC on its own?
nice dorothy dixer

because:

1) the stadium required would be surplus to the needs of both cities

2) both cities would struggle to accommodate a static tourist population the size of a WC (which is bigger than an Olympics)

3) because it would deprive the world of seeing great cities like Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth
T74 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #634
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
nice dorothy dixer

because:

1) the stadium required would be surplus to the needs of both cities

2) both cities would struggle to accommodate a static tourist population the size of a WC (which is bigger than an Olympics)

3) because it would deprive the world of seeing great cities like Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth
Just checking, for a second I thought the WC I experienced in South Africa was in a parallel world.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #635
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
I hadn't heard about the swinging tiers for ANZ and Perth - thats great news

revising my list, that makes it:

1) MGC - Melbourne
2) ANZ Stadium - Sydney **
3) Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane (will get a upgrade if successful) *
4) Subiaco Stadium - Perth (redevelopment) **
5) Adelaide Oval - Adelaide (redevelopment)
6) Sydney Football Stadium - Sydney *
7) Energy Australia Stadium - Newcastle *
8) Dairy Farmers Stadium - Townsville - (upgrade) *
9) Canberra Stadium - Canberra - (new stadium) *
10) Carrara Stadium - Gold Coast - (upgrade for Comm Games 2018 bid)
11) Blacktown Stadium - Sydney - (new stadium) *
12) Kardinia Park - Geelong - (upgrade and temporary rectangular configuration seating) **

This in all gives us:
* 6 stadiums with rectangular configuration
** 3 stadium with a temporary rectangular configuration

a 9/3 ratio is much better now
Further Revision.
Renders on the bid website show both the Gold Coast Stadium and Adelaide Oval in a temporary rectangular configuration.

In summary
6 stadiums with rectangular configuration
2 stadiums with movable seats enabling a rectangular configuration
3 stadiums with a temporary rectangular configuration
1 stadium with an oval configuration
kichigai no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM   #636
Mo Rush

I don't see MCG as being an issue. I don't doubt some modifications will be made, not necessarily converting it to a rectangular stadium.

You can't "not" use a giant stadium like this. Yes some seats may not be sold, the bowl may be tweaked, more upgrades, etc. but it HAS hosted football before and other major events.

Its not the end of the world.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM   #637
_X_

Gold medal match
December 8, 1956
12:00
Soviet Union 1–0 Yugoslavia Melbourne

Referee: R. Wright (AUS)
Attendance: 102.000
Ilyin Goal 48' Report
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #638
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

There were some pretty high attendances for other sports in Melbourne weren't there? Also I read that AAMI Park was expandable - although I don't see how. Is there any possibility that it could be used?
Will737 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM   #639
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
There were some pretty high attendances for other sports in Melbourne weren't there? Also I read that AAMI Park was expandable - although I don't see how. Is there any possibility that it could be used?
Foundations for 50k,no political will to take it any further because of a perception its too expensive to alter the roof

Also the argument that its in the same precinct as the "G" and with exclusion zones it just doesn't work
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:21 PM   #640
venki04ss

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Foundations for 50k,no political will to take it any further because of a perception its too expensive to alter the roof

Also the argument that its in the same precinct as the "G" and with exclusion zones it just doesn't work
Is there any good free space AAMI Park outside. If AAMI park expand increase capacity upto 60,000-65,000. It is possible to host Semi final. Other semi final in Perth. Wait n watch on 2nd December.
venki04ss no está en línea  

Closed Thread