daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #741
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
well its either that or Qatar, Spain, and Australia

its gunna be a long 5 weeks
Australia is a part of Asia, so if Qatar are implicated I fail to see how Australia is there, and the English and Australian bid teams are the only ones to come out and say we're not being investigated as well. Where as the US have stayed quiet and the English media has used the US bid in the scandal for some sort of reason. They must have had reports that US companies were doing these sort of deals on behalf of the US bid. The US has a long history of "lobbyists" not only within various organisations but also even within their own government. I found it extremely strange that Jack Warner came out just a month ago and started saying CONCACAF want another place in the world cup.
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #742
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Australia is a part of Asia, so if Qatar are implicated I fail to see how Australia is there, and the English and Australian bid teams are the only ones to come out and say we're not being investigated as well. Where as the US have stayed quiet and the English media has used the US bid in the scandal for some sort of reason. They must have had reports that US companies were doing these sort of deals on behalf of the US bid. The US has a long history of "lobbyists" not only within various organisations but also even within their own government. I found it extremely strange that Jack Warner came out just a month ago and started saying CONCACAF want another place in the world cup.
I'm inclined to agree on most of this, but I have no doubt all bids (including the Australian one) have some degree of mud on them. Its just a matter of who gets caught now.

Its pedantic, but the article actually referred to three continents, not confeds, so that still puts Australia as a possible third mark
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #743
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Its pedantic, but the article actually referred to three continents, not confeds, so that still puts Australia as a possible third mark
I think most people are taking this as FIFA world talk, the FIFA world is different to the real world. It's just a bad choice of words on behalf of the people writing it. Australia is a nation on it's own right, so they could have easily put that in.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #744
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
I think most people are taking this as FIFA world talk, the FIFA world is different to the real world. It's just a bad choice of words on behalf of the people writing it. Australia is a nation on it's own right, so they could have easily put that in.
agree its very likely - i'm just taking nothing for granted right now
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #745
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

I'd like to see Australia like host country for WC2022, but watching the video of the stadia are quite disappointing, starting from Geelong stadium or Townsville stadium and Perth one seems to be a copy of Soccer city in J'burg.

BTW: Where is located the blacktown stadium?
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #746
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
I'd like to see Australia like host country for WC2022, but watching the video of the stadia are quite disappointing, starting from Geelong stadium or Townsville stadium and Perth one seems to be a copy of Soccer city in J'burg.

Perth is just a concept only - actual design not yet out (they are still finalizing the site - down to three options, so that will obvious effect the final design)

Blacktown is in Sydney's west

Last edited by T74; October 24th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
T74 no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #747
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:

Whilst it would be lovely to have a bunch of brand new purpose built venues for the World Cup, it's just not viable here due to the sporting landscape here being rather diverse. There isn't much point in having 50-60,000 seat football stadiums in cities that would hardly ever fill them afterwards. Comprimise is the only way to go here. What we may lack in stadium wow factor, I think we would easily make up for as hosts. Australia would be rocking if we got it. I remember the buzz around the country for Sydney 2000, the World Cup would be that x1000.

P.S. I thought the render for the Townsville stadium upgrade looked rather decent to be honest. What was it you didn't like about it?
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #748
Mr.Underground
BANNED

They 're too small stadia for the reasons you have told and looking the video are too banal, boring in the design. Compare with stadia proposed in the russian bid book or in Qatar one, and try to think if yout bid is on the same level.

Then I hate the oval shape of some venues e.g. Melbourne and Goldcost.
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #749
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
They 're too small stadia for the reasons you have told and looking the video are too banal, boring in the design. Compare with stadia proposed in the russian bid book or in Qatar one, and try to think if yout bid is on the same level.

Then I hate the oval shape of some venues e.g. Melbourne and Goldcost.
No point really even comparing out bid with Russia's because we're bidding for different tournaments. Qatar have to pull out all stops with the stadia in their bid to make up for shortcomings in other areas. Because in all honesty, Qatar isn't exactly high on everyones must see destinations. No offence, but Australia as a destination has much more to offer.

As for the designs of the stadium, I don't think it matters a hell of alot what they look like. As long as they meet the criteria. I agree about the MCG though, not a fan at all.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #750
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

Smell a rat with you but I'll persist
Although we'd love to present 12 new concept football specific stadiums with the wow factor of Qatar,we live in reality.It is probably this realistic approach which sees our economy in such a good position.In fact we're booming over here with low government debt and plenty of work.
Our sporting history is long and rich.This has seen large sporting stadiums get built over a long period of time ,based on demand.In the case of the MCG,it gets absolutely massive crowds all the time.Had 550,000 odd in 6 matches last month alone.
Our bid book is a minimum starting point,with 12 FIFA compliant stadiums on offer.TBH,I wouldn't be surprised, in the event that we are lucky enough to win hosting rights, that FIFA has a quiet word with a few suggestions of their own,as per SA2010.We do after all have 12 years to prepare .
I don't believe any other bid has 2 Olympic Stadiums on offer either

What we can guarantee from the outset is----full stadiums,brilliant fan fests and famous Australian hospitality
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #751
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuq View Post
I was about to say, it has to be Qatar, Spain, and the USA, in the context of football Australia is part of Asia. Plus, Australia would be the Oceanian president's initial choice.

As part of Australia's move from the OFC to the AFC in 2006, it was a condition (I believe imposed by FIFA) that Australia would offer support (financial, developmental, etc) to the OFC. This is one of the reasons, for example, a NZ team plays in the A-League. So Oceania is already getting FIFA approved financial support from Australia. No bribes required!
G'day Chuq

Its defo Spain,Qatar and USA because Australia has already come out and said they aren't being investigated
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #752
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Although we'd love to present 12 new concept football specific stadiums with the wow factor of Qatar,we live in reality.It is probably this realistic approach which sees our economy in such a good position.In fact we're booming over here with low government debt and plenty of work.
Our sporting history is long and rich.This has seen large sporting stadiums get built over a long period of time ,based on demand.In the case of the MCG,it gets absolutely massive crowds all the time.Had 550,000 odd in 6 matches last month alone.
Our bid book is a minimum starting point,with 12 FIFA compliant stadiums on offer.TBH,I wouldn't be surprised, in the event that we are lucky enough to win hosting rights, that FIFA has a quiet word with a few suggestions of their own,as per SA2010.We do after all have 12 years to prepare .

What we can guarantee from the outset is----full stadiums,brilliant fan fests and famous Australian hospitality
Russia has 2 Olympic stadia in its bid. Moscow 1980 and Sochi 2014.

But in Australia don't you sleep never?
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #753
_X_

Never
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #754
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post

You forget that Qatar is a realistic bid too. Qatar should have the possibility to realize 12 wow football specific stadia, its government has got a lot of money to invest, so we are not discussing about a fantasy bid.

If I was FIFA, I should give the opportunity to have a new and futuristic product. What have they to risk? Nothing.

And do you think many fans will go from Madrid or from London or Rome to go to Brisbane and Canberra or Townsville?
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #755
_X_

Quote:
You forget that Qatar is a realistic bid too. Qatar should have the possibility to realize 12 wow football specific stadia, its government has got a lot of money to invest, so we are not discussing about a fantasy bid.

If I was FIFA, I should give the opportunity to have a new and futuristic product. What have they to risk? Nothing.

And do you think many fans will go from Madrid or from London or Rome to go to Brisbane and Canberra or Townsville?
Sorry mate,in no way is the Doha bid realistic.Yes it can be built,but that is all.We'd have the biggest white elephant park in the world,no foreigners would go and the very long list goes on and on.
Its unfortunate for Qatar that at the time of bidding joint bids were illegal.This is no longer the case and so a co- hosting with UAE would be far better although that would still be a bitter pill for the Qatari's because they would only host 2 stadiums at most.
The simple facts are irrefutable
Doha is a single city bid-this is not allowed and InsCo officially took the opportunity to kill that bid on departure from Doha last month
You simply can't go offering $10 million for a vote and expect to get away with it
You can't organise vote swapping and expect to get away with it
You can't do "in secret " deals related to votes and expect to get away with it
EthCo and TecCo are also trawling over the remains of that bid to finally put it out of its misery

Its only a matter of time mate
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #756
White_soX

Quote:
and you think many fans will rather be travelling from Madrid or London or rome to qatar?
White_soX no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #757
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_soX View Post
and you think many fans will rather be travelling from Madrid or London or rome to qatar?
In the Doha Bid Book is a proposal to bring in 100,000 people-because they know that no one will go
A Doha World Cup will totally devalue the FIFA Men's World Cup.

BTW,we'll have plenty of folks from all over the world if we host
Football fans know a good party when they see one-and they'd see one here
_X_ no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #758
hangman

Likes (Received): 5

1. Its not like the entire world lives in Madrid, London or Rome.

2. Do you think anyone from anywhere wants to go to Doha?

At least Australia has Sydney and Melbourne to add a bit of city-mass to our bid. Doha is the be-all and end-all of Qatar's, and Doha is no Sydney.
hangman no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #759
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
1. Its not like the entire world lives in Madrid, London or Rome.

2. Do you think anyone from anywhere wants to go to Doha?

At least Australia has Sydney and Melbourne to add a bit of city-mass to our bid. Doha is the be-all and end-all of Qatar's, and Doha is no Sydney.
The world doesn't live in Madrid, Romo or London but eas an example. Most of football fans come from Europe, not from other part of the world, excpt South America. And do you think many fans fly from Europe to Aussie? I have many doubts.

Qatar is closer to Europe, 10 hours from London and 800 € for a double ticket, against 1600 € and many hours more.
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #760
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Well Australian, English and US fans travel very well in large numbers to the other side of the world for sporting events. Think, it's about time some of the other western nations toughened up and accept that the World cup is the "World" Cup, they just might enjoy themselves on the otherside of the planet. Anyway unlike that other nations bid, in the highly unlikely event of foreigners not coming to Australia en mass, the locals will have no problems filling the Stadiums. Australia is a wealthy sport loving nation with locals that have plenty of disposable income.

Don't worry too much about what the Aussie renders of the venues look like, they are just preliminary impressions. World Cup bids are hardly won on stadium renders. If Australia is lucky enough to beat the US for 2022, FIFA has the power and is welcome to make venue suggestions like they did with South Africa and Brazil. Do you remember Germany's 2006 bid?
It started out with proposals to moderately renovate the Munich Olympic Stadium, Frankfurts Waldstadion, Dusseldorf's Rheinstadion and Hanover's Niedersachsenstadion. All were used in the 1974 WC and all had tracks. Once Germany won the bid, they changed venue plans to total venue overhauls and in the case of Munich, a totally new stadium. The bid book is not final.
Who knows, some of the more outlandish venue proposals of other bidders may looked really dated in 12years time.

As for Qatar's bid being realistic. Don't you think they would have played a little fairer in the bidding and lobbying process if they had a bid that could stand up on on its own sensible and positive merits?

As for the "wow" factor, that's all they have with fancy renders in false, brilliant colours. Their white elephant venues will be build by an oppressed labour force who are in bonded labour, the victims of human trafficing and a prime example of modern slavery. I'm amazed at how little this is brought up in the global media, china got a harder wrap in the build up to 2008. Their bid is not inline with the ethics and values that FIFA claim to believe and aspire to, not to mention are desperatley trying to reaffirm.

Last edited by Walbanger; October 25th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  

Closed Thread