daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #61
woozoo

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
That pretty much sums up the general Aussie knowledge of the size of the world cup.
I think he was joking.
woozoo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #62
Langers

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_the_man View Post
They have nothing on the World Cup. Australians seem to think the Olympics are the biggest sporting event in the world, proves how little so much of us know.
Too true, most Australians would believe that is the case. And the ones that do are correct.
Langers no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #63
trpevisni
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Beautifull
trpevisni no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #64
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Too true, most Australians would believe that is the case. And the ones that do are correct.
Sure, buddy...
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #65
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
I think he was joking.
You think? I've lost all sense of perspective when it comes to talking to Aussies about the world cup. In my experience, so few (other than the hardcore football fans) 'get' it.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #66
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6446

You actually expect everyone to know that it's the largest sporting event in the world, when majority of people here don't play it past the age of 16?

The sport needs to get some Australians behind it, and the World Cup I think could do it. I remember last World Cup the people at Federation Square etc.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #67
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #68
herb21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
You actually expect everyone to know that it's the largest sporting event in the world, when majority of people here don't play it past the age of 16?

The sport needs to get some Australians behind it, and the World Cup I think could do it. I remember last World Cup the people at Federation Square etc.
Yeah but if your trying to discuss hosting the event seriously its a bit annoying having people who keep thinking the olympics is bigger.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #69
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Ugh, please no ovals...
In Australia most grounds are Ovals and we could not justify building large soccer stadiums. Soccer's main problem in Australia is TV rights and Stadium, both are dominated by the AFL.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea  
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #70
ross_the_man

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
How embarrassing.
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #71
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
In Australia most grounds are Ovals and we could not justify building large soccer stadiums. Soccer's main problem in Australia is TV rights and Stadium, both are dominated by the AFL.

Which brings us back to the same place... If we can't justify building 7 or 8 football specific venues of the right capacity, why should we be allowed to host the biggest tournament in the world?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #72
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Which brings us back to the same place... If we can't justify building 7 or 8 football specific venues of the right capacity, why should we be allowed to host the biggest tournament in the world?
We can justify the building/upgrade of those venues. Just have them downsized post WC.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #73
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Mexico 70 to Mexico 86 = 16 years
Japan/Korea 02 to Japan or Korea 22 = 20 years

Exceptional circumstances in both cases, but very possible.
Returning to Mexico was an exceptional circumstance. There is no need for that to ever happen again. There are plenty of bidders who deserve it more than Japan or Korea again.

Quote:
Why go to faux Asia (an extra 6-8 hours travel time for our European friends) with 20 million potential customers, when you can go to the real thing with it's 120 million?
Do you not think the games will be sold out? Wouldn't most of the revenue from the world cup come from TV ratings? Seeing as we are in the same timezone, it is exactly the same as going to any other Asian country with 100million+ population. I would think that less people would travel to Japan or Korea because they had a chance to do that recently already.

Quote:
Why take the World Cup to all those countries with running tracks around their fields? How are some multi-purpose venues not adequate?

The only venues that seem to be in doubt are Adelaide and Perth. Not 7 or 8 venues.
Bump no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #74
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
The only venues that seem to be in doubt are Adelaide and Perth. Not 7 or 8 venues.
And Melbourne..... Sorry but the MCG does not cut it.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #75
Lord David

What are you talking about? The bid requires at least 2 80,000 seater + venues and Melbourne will be a part, even if it doesn't host the final. You don't expect us to build a 80,000 seater stadium solely for the WC. I'm sure the issues regarding the MCG's oval shape will be addressed, and the fact that it has hosted football in the past including WC qualifiers shows that it is capable of being a WC venue.

We need the MCG for the bid, it's an iconic venue, it should host some group games, a semi or the final or if not the final, then the opening match.

The sheer capacity of 95,000, perhaps even more when upgraded, or studies are concluded which allow for temporary seating on field level (a, la Ernst Happel Stadion, Vienna, for Euro 2008), might work and make it a more acceptable venue.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #76
Wezza
©

I am talking about cricket grounds not cutting it. Sorry but it will be a major embarrassment if we had to use the MCG.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #77
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I am talking about cricket grounds not cutting it. Sorry but it will be a major embarrassment if we had to use the MCG.
Have you ever been to the MCG? Just a thought that a massive, state of the art 100,000 seat stadium is no quite as embarrasing as some venues which could be used, such as dairy farmers stadium. I am shure for a world cup they would dig in the pitch or something to reduce the dimensions of the playing surface.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #78
Lord David

Quote:
It wouldn't be a major embarrassment. You need to consider the sheer capacity not the shape, if the MCG was say 60,000 not 95,000-100,000 then the FFA wouldn't hesitate to consider Etihad Stadium in rectangular mode, even if it would only provide 45,000 or so. The sheer size that could be expanded, is the major draw of the MCG as a WC venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Have you ever been to the MCG? Just a thought that a massive, state of the art 100,000 seat stadium is no quite as embarrasing as some venues which could be used, such as dairy farmers stadium. I am shure for a world cup they would dig in the pitch or something to reduce the dimensions of the playing surface.
Agreed on point 1.

Dairy Farmers Stadium wouldn't be so much of an embarrassment if it went into a total re-haul, rebuilding the main grandstand expanding the stadium to 45,000.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #79
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
If Dairy Farmers Stadium was used, it would be massively upgraded & the seating wouldn't be miles away from the pitch. Nice try though.

Believe what you want. But i can tell you if the MCG is part of the bid, (or any other cricket ground for that matter) we won't get it. Cricket grounds are awful, awful venues for football.

Last edited by Wezza; November 11th, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #80
Lord David

Quote:
If Dairy Farmers Stadium was used, it would be massively upgraded & the seating wouldn't be miles away from the pitch. Nice try though.

Believe what you want. But i can tell you if the MCG is part of the bid, (or any other cricket ground for that matter) we won't get it. Cricket grounds are awful, awful venues for football.
They're awful, but who cares? FIFA needs to know and understand our disadvantage, expect at least 2 oval venues at this point, the MCG and Adelaide Oval, perhaps even a Cararra Stadium (though it could be augmented for rectangular mode I suppose).

If FIFA wants a surefire ready host then it'll choose the US, if they want to expand the game and make it memorable even with the odd use of some oval stadiums, then Australia is it.

Closed Thread