daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM   #861
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Why? Because some seats are too far away?
Combination.Line of sight is a major issue now.Two world Cups ago the MCG would have been at 100k,not now.
In fact FIFA are going to be pretty strict with Brazil as they were in places like Rustenburg in South Africa
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM   #862
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1113

delete
Walbanger está en línea ahora  
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #863
Will737

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Combination.Line of sight is a major issue now.Two world Cups ago the MCG would have been at 100k,not now.
In fact FIFA are going to be pretty strict with Brazil as they were in places like Rustenburg in South Africa
That's dumb. I think people would be happy to buy them - at reduced prices.
Will737 no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM   #864
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Even though you can get many more at the MCG...
In World Cup stadium configuration,the FFA has indicated that there will be only 5,000 seats difference between Homebush and the MCG in terms of capacity.

It really doesnt matter anyway,if you are talking about revenue."If" Sydney hosted the Final,the Opening Game will go to Melbourne and visa-versa.Overall gate takings,total attendance will be the same no matter who got the Final.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #865
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM   #866
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Stuff this crap, the FFA and Australia have to play hardball

Give us the 2022 World Cup or we will make sure that EVERY movie ever filmed in Australia or New Zealand gets digitally edited to put Nicole Kidman in it.

Imagine:

- Nicole Kidman as one of those giant boring tree things in Lord of the Rings

- Nicole Kidman as the Road Warrior Mad Max

- Do you reckon Morpheus would have given a damn about finding "the One" if he found out Neo was.....Nicole Kidman?

- think Jar Jar Binks was bad? Wait till you see Nicole Kidman as Queen Amidala

- Babe replaced with a oinking Nicole Kidman

Don't think we will do it? Go hire Moulan Rouge - not only did we let her act in it, we made her sing!!!

You heard it people, unless you want wall to wall Nicole Kidman, give us the bloody world cup!!
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM   #867
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1113

...But Sir, She's a Wranga!
Walbanger está en línea ahora  
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:02 AM   #868
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Let's win the rights to host first before fighting over who gets the final.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM   #869
mdhar.v12

Likes (Received): 42

I think Australia has more chances of hosting 2022 world cup...........and i don't think FIFA will bypass Australia for the sake of china, which has given no formal approval of hosting 2026 world cup.And i think it is tooooo early for U.S for once again hosting world cup after 1994....
mdhar.v12 no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:47 PM   #870
Wezza
©

I hope you're right. I still think the yanks are probably the favourites to host 2022, but happy to be proven wrong.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM   #871
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

So if the MCG decided to pull down the southern stand and expand it (along the lines of the nothern stand) and get back to 110-115,000 seats, it'd have to remove a bunch for the world cup?

Last I checked more seats would mean more money.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM   #872
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I hope you're right. I still think the yanks are probably the favourites to host 2022, but happy to be proven wrong.
We might have to meet halfway between Townsville and Geelong for a mate if the dream eventuates

Any excuse........
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #873
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkill View Post
So if the MCG decided to pull down the southern stand and expand it (along the lines of the nothern stand) and get back to 110-115,000 seats, it'd have to remove a bunch for the world cup?

Just let it be mate, we have to win the rights first.

Quote:
We might have to meet halfway between Townsville and Geelong for a mate if the dream eventuates

Any excuse........
Fingers crossed dude.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM   #874
AndreasBerlin

Hello people.

I like the sound of an Australian World cup.
Australia, the US, South Korea and Japan are all able to host a fantastic world cup (I have my doubts about Qatar)

And quite simply, the world cup should go to new places! The US have had it, so have Japan and South Korea. So Australia should be clear favourites based on that!
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM   #875
_X_

Quote:

Seats would never be removed ,they'd be tarped over or not accessed in the nose bleed.
Anyway ,thats the current proposal as per bid book.
We all know that many things could happen over 12 years-anything from hinged bottom tier,to extra capacity.

The G has had many massive crowds over the years
Actually held the record for the highest baseball crowd ever of 104,400 on Dec 1 ,1956.The record was only broken in the USA in the last year or two I believe
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM   #876
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
Hello people.

Australia, the US, South Korea and Japan are all able to host a fantastic world cup (I have my doubts about Qatar)

And quite simply, the world cup should go to new places! The US have had it, so have Japan and South Korea. So Australia should be clear favourites based on that!
I do like your logic Andreas.Maybe we should lobby for you to be part of our final presentation
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM   #877
TheoG

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
These folks are onto it
Time to celebrate

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=229634

November 1, 2010

World Cup 2018: It's Either Australia or China as Hosts

With Brazil secure as the 2014 World Cup hosts, attention has shifted to the possible hosts of the 2018 edition. England, both the host and winners in 1966, had looked a reasonably sure bet for 2018. All that changed when Russia came in from the cold, with a strong interest. Funny enough, England made a shambolic attempt when it put forward a bid for the 2006 soccer jamboree that Germany won the rights to.

While there are others, especially China and Australia, in the running, those two have drawn the most attention lately. Russia's bid is, ironically, funded by Roman Abramovich. I wonder what Chelsea's English fans think about that!

The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) has tended to select countries from different parts of the world as hosts. Korea-Japan in 2002 and South Africa in 2010 were examples of such bold forward-looking vision. The Russians have, therefore, a good chance. However, the recent bribery allegations against some FIFA members who received payments from the Russian Football Federation has muddied the waters.

Australia in 2000 and China in 2008 both hosted the best Olympics games of their time. With their star-studded reputations, they stand to benefit from any backlash against either Russia or England down the road. Their only significant issue would seem to be the broadcast time zone differences with FIFA's sponsor-rich areas of Western Europe and North America.

The choice for 2018 will be a surprise, if recent FIFA trends are anything to go by.
I lol'd when I saw the date....today
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:24 PM   #878
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
Hello people.

I have the same logic, Australia would be a fantastic place for the football world cup in 2022
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:01 AM   #879
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:

In fact,replicating the Northern Stand on the southern side of the MCG would increase seating capacity to around ...100,000.

Currently,the seating capacity of the Great Southern Stand is 45,000.The Northern Stand is 50,000.Today,the seating capacity of the MCG is 95,000.100,000 is acheived for the GF due to the sale of 5,000 standing room tickets.Standing room isnt sold for a FIFA WC.

As for loss of seating for a WC...thats a certainty.The MCG would lose around 7,000 seats.In South Africa,these type of "restricted viewing" areas were covered by massive blue tarps.

Last edited by ExSydney; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:25 AM.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM   #880
_X_

Australia qualifies for the Under 17 World Cup with a very late come from behind performance in Tashkent,Uzbekistan
2-0 down v UAE with goals at '82,94 and '99 in extra time
.Will now play Uzbekistan,while the other semi is between Japan and Nth Korea
Good job lads-gotta love the commentary
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread