daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #941
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Soccer is a funny one in Australia, probably the 3rd most popular but it has very different challenges than the other 3 of the 2 Rugby's and Aussie Rules. It is enjoyed highly at a recreational pursuit. Our local national league isn't of a great standard, or to be more specific, to a quality that Australians are accoustomed (we are used to the best in Rugby, Rugby League, Cricket and of course Aussie Rules). Millions follow the European leagues, especially the English Premiership and the "Socceroos" have probably overtaken the "Wallabies" of Rugby Union as the nations favorite Football National side. Soccer is probably the 3rd largest Football code in Australia as Rugby Union really just has a niche market in Wealthy areas or Sydney, Brisbane and to a lesser extent Perth (somewhat of a generalisation). Soccer on the other hand is not tied down by regional rivalries in Australia. It transends all the states like Cricket where as Rugby League struggles out side of New South Wales and Queensland and Australian Football only has a niche foothold in those two. When it comes to Internationals the Socceroos break TV records.
Very interesting! Is there not an urban/rural split in Australia? In Canada, soccer is growing by leaps and bounds, but it's only in the big immigrant cities where the domestic sports are being tossed to the curb. The smaller cities are maintaining their love of football, baseball, etc. Toronto and Vancouver (hockey excluded) are largely turning their backs on Canadian sporting pursuits. Football and baseball are a shell of what they used to be in these cities.

Does this happen in Australia?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM   #942
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

By the WC2022, Stadium Australia could be considered an ancient relic. It would be 23 years old by then...imagine Sydney hosting its 2000 Olympics in a stadium built in 1977 What kind of redevelopment plan do they have for the stadium?
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #943
VHSLE CRUISER

Likes (Received): 9

Im Australian and i love watching baseball and ice hockey, shits all over watching the AFL and soccer imo but thats just my thought lol.
VHSLE CRUISER no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:01 AM   #944
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSLE CRUISER View Post
Im Australian and i love watching baseball and ice hockey, shits all over watching the AFL and soccer imo but thats just my thought lol.
Rebelling against the establishment

Baseball, along with Cricket, would rate in my mind as the slowest and most boring sports out there. Add in American Football, and you have a great combination of boredom starters. They all do nothing for me.

I guess thats what got me into Football years ago, a need to look at new things instead of whatever was thrown down our throats as 'Australian culture'.

Canada is a nation that, to me anyway, seems focused more on the winter sports, than the other ones. Climate would definately come into that. It does not usually do great in the Summer Olympics or CWG, but does well at the Winter Olympics.

I love Canada though. Great scenery and the people were very nice
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM   #945
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
In many ways theres big pararels between Australia and the US regarding football, or soccer, and its position in the sporting landscape.

It sits behind other sports, but at around the number 3 or 4 sporting code in the country, it likely has more potential to reach the 1 oer 2 spot than it does in the US, with its mega sporting brands, like NFL, NBA and NHL. The key thing here is that football is very close to cementing a number 3 position very soon in this country, and if a WC was to come here, number 2 would not be far away.

The sports here of interest (in no particular order):

Australian Rules Football
Rugby League
Cricket
Football (soccer)
Rugby Union

A summary of our challenges:

- Australian Rules Football is mainly focused still on its traditional states (Victoria, SA and WA), and is trying hard to get a foothold in NSW and Queensland. It is the giant of sporting codes here, with its economic clout and media saturation in its key markets.
- Rugby League is falling flat in many ways these days. Small crowd averages, but decent TV figures, it is mainly focused on NSW and Queensland, with a presence in Victoria and a desire to move into WA. Its position has been damaged though by scandals and the loss of traction in growing in its key markets and also in Melbourne.
- Cricket is struggling to maintain its position it once had in the minds of the public, masinly due to its own failings and inability to embrace a changing culture in this country (too anglo-saxon, yobo focused). They are trying hard to get back to the glory days, with a big money domestic Twenty20 competition announced, but without changing their strategy to include other parts of the market, it will just keep falling.
- Rugby Union is in many ways considered to be the most niche of the major sports, with a very small demographic coverage. It is focused on the richer population, which makes it strong in corporate backing, but light on for real broad interest. They are trying hard to expand into Melbourne now, with a new team playing in the Super 15, but it is fading in importance in the national sporting landscape.

Overall, Football has its challenges to overcome, but its high participation rate, growing interest and standard of domestic and international teams, gives us a big chance of taking the game to the next level.
I'd say one key difference is the sporting mentality of both nations aswell.

The americans have always tended to be more insular with the focus on domestic rivalries(espeically post cold war). Australia on the other hand has always looked to international sporting sucess as a large part of its national character. If Americans fail at an international sport the public response tends to be "well we didnt care anyway/it sucks" when Australia's fail at an international sport the response is "next time we'll do better".
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #946
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Canada is a nation that, to me anyway, seems focused more on the winter sports, than the other ones. Climate would definately come into that. It does not usually do great in the Summer Olympics or CWG, but does well at the Winter Olympics.

I love Canada though. Great scenery and the people were very nice
Canada has historically only cared about winning in hockey internationally. After a disastrous Calgary Olympics in 1988, Canada finally got serious about doing well in other winter sports. Only now is success in summer sports being deemed worthwhile as well. (Funding is still pitiful though: $61 million for all summer sports combined.) International success doesn't really paint an accurate picture of what sports are culturally relevant in Canada though.

Football (north American), basketball, and baseball all have firm Canadian roots (they were either invented/developed in Canada or by Canadians) and remain culturally very important here. We're competent football players, but just not very good at baseball or basketball. We routinely get clobbered.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #947
isaidso
the new republic

So, who does Australia see as their biggest competition to land the WC?

isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM   #948
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Without a doubt, the US.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:06 AM   #949
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Without a doubt, the US.
Well, I'd rather Australia landed it. The US has had it already.

isaidso no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #950
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Without a doubt, the US.
Absolutely------If FIFA does the right thing

If they don't and voting turns into a sham then (and I'm still amazed since I tallied things up 2 days ago)the USA most likely won't make the last round of the vote.Still can't believe that's the current situation
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM   #951
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I really don't see how Aus does not deserve this. The US has already hosted.

Australia has a growing league, they've basically ticked all the boxes in terms of a track record of hosting sports events, their team is pretty good, there supporters travel to all sports events, they always fill venues...they have good infrastructure.

Why exactly it needs to go back to the US or Japan or Korea is beyond me.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #952
_X_

We can only dream Mo that your thoughts come true.There are so many considerations that aren't actually football related,such as the politics of ExCo,the battle between confederations,the outrageous size of the brown paper bags.

We know we can host a great world cup,its getting 13 men to put all the temptations aside and to look purely at the bid.
If it comes down to what's on offer,then I feel confident

If only it was that simple
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #953
AndreasBerlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post

If they don't and voting turns into a sham then (and I'm still amazed since I tallied things up 2 days ago)the USA most likely won't make the last round of the vote.Still can't believe that's the current situation
That is what happened with the Chicago olympic bid
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #954
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
We can only dream Mo that your thoughts come true.There are so many considerations that aren't actually football related,such as the politics of ExCo,the battle between confederations,the outrageous size of the brown paper bags.

We know we can host a great world cup,its getting 13 men to put all the temptations aside and to look purely at the bid.
If it comes down to what's on offer,then I feel confident

If only it was that simple
I know all of the above.

My point was that some are still suggesting the US as a host because it "deserves" it. There is no other 2022 bid country more deserving than Australia.

Sure, the bribes, politics etc. will determine who wins, but no sane person can put forward another country or Doha, as a more deserving host.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM   #955
_X_

Thanks mate,its good to hear
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM   #956
_X_

Quote:
AndreasBerlin

That is what happened with the Chicago olympic bid

I wasn't following it that closely to tell the truth,but I know they went in fairly confident and it just went pear shaped
I read with interest the other day someone saying that the USA have had quite a few let downs in voting lately when they expected to win.Don't know what he was referring to besides 2016 and 2012
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #957
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
(especially in the smaller cities of Geelong, and Townsville) is unlikely. So we propose 40,000-45,000 seat expandable re-configurable stadiums which will have their seating dropped to 25,000-30,000 when the World Cup has been and gone...
Skilled Stadium (Geelong) will definently not be resized. The tennant of the stadium (the geelong cats) have 40,000 members and sell out every home ground currently (capacity 27,000). With or without the world cup, it will seat 40,000 by 2020.
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:40 PM   #958
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

how did you do the split? I actually had AU going out with US/Qatar being the final round, but with my numbers it all came down to UEFA.

I had Qatar getting their 7 (Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Qatar, Turkey, Thailand, Guatemala) plus 4 from Africa (Cameroon, Cote de Ivorie, Nigeria, Eygpt) purely because press speculation has them going that way.

USA getting the two left in their confed (USA and Trinidad), Paraguay (timezone/proximity), and England (deal with the USA).

That leaves Australia with Korea and Japan (both have hardly shown a lot of love for Bin Hammam in the past), Tahiti (already declared), Germany (seems declared), and Russia (apparently bids are close similar to USA/England).

Of the remaining UEFA exco members (Belgium, Cyprus, and the two from France), I guess most (if not all) to go to the USA

Still have my money on USA to win the final vote though, as I expect them to pick up virtually all the voters Australia ends up getting.

This is all just complete and utter guesswork of course, and I wouldn't bet my next beer on any of it
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #959
_X_

T,
UEFA is really really good for us.
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM   #960
AndreasBerlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
how did you do the split? I actually had AU going out with US/Qatar being the final round, but with my numbers it all came down to UEFA.

I had Qatar getting their 7 (Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Qatar, Turkey, Thailand, Guatemala) plus 4 from Africa (Cameroon, Cote de Ivorie, Nigeria, Eygpt) purely because press speculation has them going that way.

USA getting the two left in their confed (USA and Trinidad), Paraguay (timezone/proximity), and England (deal with the USA).

That leaves Australia with Korea and Japan (both have hardly shown a lot of love for Bin Hammam in the past), Tahiti (already declared), Germany (seems declared), and Russia (apparently bids are close similar to USA/England).

Of the remaining UEFA exco members (Belgium, Cyprus, and the two from France), I guess most (if not all) to go to the USA

Still have my money on USA to win the final vote though, as I expect them to pick up virtually all the voters Australia ends up getting.

This is all just complete and utter guesswork of course, and I wouldn't bet my next beer on any of it

I have marked down Cyprus going to Australia, Belgium going to whomever the technical reports recommend. Platini from france could go anywhere, and I think he will also go with the technical reports, or be influenced by Beckenbauer to vote for Australia, or just follow whoever Blatter votes for. (and France only has one vote, not two)

I also have paraguay going to South Korea. The 3 west african votes could go anywhere. They have really been rocked by the corruption scandal and it is hard to say if they are going to stick with deals they have made, or suddenly make an attempt to appear clean.

I also have Russia and Turkey marked down as going to Australia. Egypt is part of the Qatar deal, not Turkey
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  

Closed Thread