daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #81
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
They're awful, but who cares? FIFA needs to know and understand our disadvantage, expect at least 2 oval venues at this point, the MCG and Adelaide Oval, perhaps even a Cararra Stadium (though it could be augmented for rectangular mode I suppose).

If FIFA wants a surefire ready host then it'll choose the US, if they want to expand the game and make it memorable even with the odd use of some oval stadiums, then Australia is it.
FIFA will care.
Wezza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #82
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

I have never been to Adelaide oval and therefor cant pass judgement on it. But I have now watched football multiple times at the MCG and the view from the 2nd and 3rd tier's is actualy quite good compared to many stadiums, you can see the whole pitch and there are no obstructed sightlines despite been further away than most stadiums. Where the view becomes bad is the bottom of the 1st tier where you are a long way from the pitch and on the same level as well as often having players warming up in front of you and coaches/officials between you and the pitch, this I agree is awfull but as i said the pitch could probably be dug in to allow the 1st tier to extend close to the pitch which would solve much of a problem. What I meant by saying it would not be as much of an embarrasment as Dairy Farmers is the MCG is a mammoth stadium, one of the biggest and most impressive in the world where as places such as dairy farmers, while been better to watch football at dont and never will have the same effect, they will most likely be at the minimum capacity and have temporary seating. Other oval stadiums I agree would harm our bid but I can't see FIFA turning down or not liking the MCG.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #83
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wo...1111-i91w.html
Quote:
World Cup semi-final is being shopped around: Barnett
TIM CLARKE
November 11, 2009 - 4:37PM

WA Premier Colin Barnett has accused Australia's football authorities of being less than truthful with the states over their bid for the 2018 and 2022 soccer World Cup – claiming several premiers had been approached to host the two available semi-finals.

Growing dissatisfaction from the states and territories over the FFA's handling of the bid process emerged after a meeting of state premiers last week, where a request for a national bid coordinator was made.

Mr Barnett revealed today the reason for that request was disquiet at the apparent offer of a World Cup semi-final to a number of the states and territories – despite there being only two such games to be hosted.

"They need to do a bit better job … we went around the table looking at our experiences at being approached by the football association and collectively we were not all that pleased," Mr Barnett said.

"We as premiers have put it to the Commonwealth government that we will support this event, invest in this event and be ready by 2022.

"But we really want to see someone, a professional to promote and coordinate

"The state premiers are saying that we will take it on trust, we will work on what would be a fantastic event for Australia - but we want to see better coordination across the country on this.

"When several states are offered the same event - a semi-final - we know the full truth is not there."

The growing tension will be discussed again at the next Council of Australian Governments meeting in Queensland on December 7, just four days before the FFA must submit their bid, including guarantees on stadiums, to soccer's governing body, FIFA.

Mr Barnett said today Perth would not miss out on the massive event if it was to come to Australia – and could even be in line to host one of those semi-finals.

"We will have a stadium that will be capable of hosting those matches, perhaps even a semi final," the premier told radio 6PR.

"To have an adequate stadium at Subiaco will probably be the easy part, there will be massive issues around security, accommodation.

"The Worlds Soccer Cup is bigger than the Olympics. Australia is capable of hosting it but it has huge implications."

FIFA is due to conduct inspections of potential facilities by the middle of next year.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #84
mvictory

Maybe the bit about using subiaco explains why they where not approached about holding a semi
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #85
Walbanger

Well he's not talking about the current Subiaco. Barnett wants to do a staged rebuild, he ignores all qualified advice that the sight is a lame duck. The proposed Stadium WA form the previous government (which is most likely dead) was to be built in the suburb of Subiaco. So the suburb is the most likely location of a new Perth Stadium (though i'd have prefered the East Perth Power Station).

What is the requirment for a Semifinal, 66 000?
The current site has the max potential of 68 000 in an tight awkward design. Stadium WA was designed to be expanded within the initial stucture and roof to 70 000 from 60 000.

As for a potential semifinal being shopped around in a successful bid, Barnett is not wrong. The South Australians were told the same crap and they're not even planning on providing a stadium anywhere near 60 / 66 000.

Last edited by Walbanger; November 12th, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #86
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Well I suppose Perth should have stated clearly what their venue plan was. Should it be an upgrade of Perth Oval to minimum capacity, or an expansion of Subiaco, or a new stadium (preferably the latter).

By the looks of it, we'll need another 60,000+ stadium, assuming that Suncorp Stadium Brisbane gets upgraded to 60,000+ for one of the semis, another stadium of 60,000+ for the other semi, Melbourne/Sydney for the final, with the one not chosen for the opener and 3rd place match.

Can this happen? I sure hope so.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #87
Walbanger

Perth will build a 60 000+ seater in the next decade, it's just a matter of where and if its an Oval or Multipurpose (movable tiers). It really just seems two options in Perth: the ill-though kneejerk rebuild of Subiaco Oval that for some reason Premier Colin Barnett wants, or the Stadium WA which was the recommended option by the 2 year independent Stadium Taskforce, with concept design by Populous.

Barnett is a stubborn political animal who has said on numerous occassions that he will not seriously look into the Stadium issue again till 2011, though he does listen to proposals but has kept to his word in not planning further. The FIFA world Cup bid has changed this slightly as he has stated that his government intends of redeveloping Perth Oval / Members Equity Stadium into a 25/28 000 seat rectangle stadium, though he still says nothing about the needed larger stadium. This leads me like a few other Perth People to assume he has taken more of the stadium Taskforce recommendations on board then what was publicly led on. The Taskforce ultimatley believed a 2 stadium solution was best for Perth with a smaller rectangluar venue to serve as the regular home of the Rugby codes and Soccer while the larger, more impressive Stadium be built for Australian Football, Cricket OneDayers and Twenty 20 as well as large Rugby and Soccer events such as Finals and Internationals.
So in the event of a WC, Perth Oval will be suitable as a training base, while games are played at the larger stadium which will hopefully have movable seating as suggested by the Taskforce. Wouldn't be surprised if the suggested Perth venue sinks or saves the bid.

Last edited by Walbanger; November 12th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #88
Amaruu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I am talking about cricket grounds not cutting it. Sorry but it will be a major embarrassment if we had to use the MCG.
Either that, or people will think holy ******* moly, take a look at the size of that thing, now that's ultra impressive.
Amaruu no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #89
Ragarms

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
Either that, or people will think holy ******* moly, take a look at the size of that thing, now that's ultra impressive.
Quite.

As I posted earlier, if a venue is not up to scratch (ie: the hideous abomination that will be a revamped Adelaide Oval) it won't matter if it's rectangular or not.

Similarly, the MCG, despite it being round, is one of the the most impressive and iconic stadiums on the planet. Look at the last ten World Cups and tell me how many finals have been played on purely rectangular 'football' pitches?

Bueller? Bueller??
Ragarms no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #90
Ragarms

And for anyone defending the proposals put forward thus far for any venues other than Homebush, Lang Park, Docklands and the MCG, just visit one of the threads pertaining to South Africa's current WC stadium progress for what is required to host this event.
Ragarms no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #91
herb21

Just to give you an Idea of what the South African Stadia are like (I lifted these from the various threads in the SA section)
Btw alot of the pitches are recently laid hence why they look really bad
Oh and because its relevant only 2 of the stadia arnt rectangular and both of those are athletics stadia (the durban one wont have a track in though but is very tight for athletics)

First four are pre existing and at most had a tier added on one side (they were used for confed cup).

Royal Bafokeng Stadium Rustenburg (technically its in the village of Phokeng) (44000)

image hosted on flickr

Coca Cola Park (previously Ellis Park) Joburg (62000)
image hosted on flickr

Free State Stadium Bloemfontein (46000)
image hosted on flickr

Loftus Versfeld Stadium Pretoria (50000)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This one was pre existing but except for parts of the lower tier it is completely new

SoccerCity Joburg/Soweto (90000+-)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

These are new

Mbombela Stadium Nelspruit/Mbombela (45000)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cape Town Stadium (69000)

Moses Mabhida Stadium Durban (70000)

Peter Mokabo Comples Polokwane (45000)

image hosted on flickr

Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium Port Elizabeth (46000)

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #92
Cruise
Crazy young doge man

Likes (Received): 914

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb21 View Post

Royal Bafokeng Stadium Rustenburg (technically its in the village of Phokeng) (44000)

image hosted on flickr
So this stadium is world cup standard?

with so much uncovered seating?

Also, soccercity is by far my favourite stadium in the world
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #93
herb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post

Yeah its good enough for group games but remember its in a pretty dry area (particularly at WC time) and its probably on the minimum amount of covered seating (Western Stand must be covered). In some ways its probably the stadia which is most borderline on the requirements (ie it has a track and limited covered seating) but it apparently has a great atmosphere and is the newest of the pre-existing stadia (which is I think why it was selected) also there isnt much else on that side of the country)

If people want Ill look for pics of some of the training grounds and stadia that didnt make the cut. Also as a thought in South Africa cricket grounds werent even considered (but only one of ours is over 250000 I think and we only play cricket on them normaly)
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #94
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post

Also, soccercity is by far my favourite stadium in the world
Please refer to FIFA Requirements.
Many of them are listed in FIFA's 2007 Technical recommendations and requirements. The overwhelming majority of the requirements focus on the internal stadium space, safety, security and world cup overlay
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #95
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

Some awesome looking stadiums there. Did much change between the original bid and the final product in regards to stadiums?
Bump no está en línea  
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #96
herb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
Some awesome looking stadiums there. Did much change between the original bid and the final product in regards to stadiums?
At one stage (I think this was after the bid) the plan was to build or renvote the following stadia and select 10 to host the world cup.

I have no idea if any of these were built/upgraded (for training ground use)

New Kimberly
New Rainbow Junction outside Pretoria
Absa Stadium In Durban
Old Peter Mokaba was to be upgraded, they just built a new one and kept the old because it apparently made finacial sense.
Newlands in Cape Town
Oppenheimer Stadium in Orkney

These were built and are hosting

New Nelspruit
New Port Elizebeth
SoccerCity in JHB
Loftus in Pretoria
Royal Bafokeng outside Rustenburg
Ellis Park JHB
Free State Stadium In Bloemfontein

After this plans changed alot for example Cape Town then propsed Athlone and eventually Green Point was chosen.

Additionally it should be mentioned that a number of training grounds were built/upgraded
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #97
AUboy

Likes (Received): 101

AFL fuming over soccer World Cup demands Michael Warner From: Herald Sun December 07, 2009 12:00AM

FOOTBALL warfare has broken out over Australia's bid to host the soccer World Cup, with fears the MCG could be declared an "AFL-free zone" for an entire home-and-away season.
Soccer's ruling body, Football Federation Australia, has told the MCG it will require a $130 million taxpayer-funded overhaul to install rectangular seating in readiness for the world's biggest sporting event in 2018 or 2022.

Construction and removal of the temporary stands could take up to four months, potentially leaving the stadium without any AFL games until the finals.

Matches banished would include the showpiece Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Footy fans will instead be forced to travel to games in regional cities or interstate venues including Launceston and Darwin.

Angry AFL chiefs, who were not told of the proposed MCG overhaul during recent discussions, are growing more agitated by what they say is a lack of transparency by the FFA and FIFA - soccer's international governing body.

The World Cup bid will also affect the National Rugby League competition and its State-of-Origin series.

"All sports have said they will support the bid for the World Cup, but it's hard when FIFA and Australian soccer officials show no respect," a high-level source said.

"While they are happy to fly around the world and brief FIFA delegates, they appear unwilling to tell anyone in Australia what is really going to happen. They have deliberately kept us in the dark."

In another twist to the footy fight, Etihad Stadium chief Ian Collins is believed to have written to FFA rejecting World Cup matches at the Docklands venue.

But the FFA believes it has the option of seeking government intervention to seize temporary control of the privately owned stadium.

The Brumby Government has final say over any works or disputes involving the MCG.

The Premier will come under pressure from the Rudd Government, which has pledged $2 billion worth of support to the World Cup bid.

Under strict FIFA rules, all venues must be quarantined for a month beforehand and major rival sporting events must be halted during the month-long tournament.

The AFL is believed to be willing to start the 2018 or 2022 footy season early, and move some games to other venues, but will not accept FIFA's instruction to close down competition throughout the World Cup action.

Frustrated AFL chief Andrew Demetriou at the weekend spoke out about being kept in the dark over the World Cup bid.

"The AFL is still waiting for the FFA to tell us what would be required of our competition," he said.

"We have seen the FFA quoted in a number of different media reports on what may occur, but it's extremely disappointing we have still had no direct information.

"The AFL has a history of working with major events to accommodate them around our match fixturing, such as the recent (2006) Commonwealth Games and the 2000 Olympics.

"So we are seeking definitive information from the FFA to see what planning may be required for us."

The FIFA exclusion period applies only to cities hosting games, meaning AFL matches could still be played in other locations.

FFA wants use of the MCG, Etihad Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium, ANZ Stadium, Adelaide Oval and redeveloped venues in Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville, Canberra, Parramatta and possibly Perth.

The MCG and Etihad won't make a killing on World Cup games, with all ticket sales, merchandise and broadcast profits going back to FIFA's headquarters in Switzerland.

It is unclear whether the cost of the proposed $130 million works at the MCG would be paid by national or Victorian taxpayers.

www.heraldsun.com.au
AUboy no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #98
mvictory

Rectangle MCG! that would boost capacity well over 100,000. Looks like the final is coming to Melbourne!!!
As for the AFL they are complaining about losing a stadium for a season 13 years away to the biggest sporting event in the world. GET OVER IT. the AFL can survive, infact us getting the world cup would probably help expand there game 1,000,000 international sports fans might want to check out some games.
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #99
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Rectangle MCG! that would boost capacity well over 100,000. Looks like the final is coming to Melbourne!!!
Im wondering what sort of mish mash of temp stands are they going to provide to get the MCG to some sort of rectangle shape..In saying that,dont get too excited,Sydney hasnt played its card yet.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #100
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Im wondering what sort of mish mash of temp stands are they going to provide to get the MCG to some sort of rectangle shape..In saying that,dont get too excited,Sydney hasnt played its card yet.
Your right. I think Sydney will bring back the Olympic stands at ANZ bringing it back to 110,000. as for the MCG I think they would have to dig the pitch deeper an extend the 1st tier.

Closed Thread